• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Mueller Has Early Draft of Trump Letter Giving Reasons for Firing Comey

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
In before Fox News turns to, "He's new, it was a joke, that's just the way he speaks" as their defense for this.

RCSI

The White House isn't trusted as a sole source of any leak.

Congress is not likely the source of this leak because the story doesn't involve them.

That leaves Mueller's team. They know that the White House lacks messaging discipline and ends up misplaying their hand every time a major leak happens. Mueller's team, on the other hand, is the definition of discipline. If they don't want the public to know about a line of investigation, we won't find out.

The May letter had been met with opposition from Donald F. McGahn II, the White House counsel, who believed that some of its contents were problematic, according to interviews with a dozen administration officials and others briefed on the matter.

This administration is pretty leaking, and given the nature of this case, I doubt most or any are coming from Mueller's team. More plausible is that the sources are coming from people who interact with the team.

Nafai1123

Banned
Watch Muellers team leaked this to the media with the explicit rule that they could not reveal the content of the letter. Wait a few days, watch how Trump and Co lie about the content, and then allow the press to release the content. Boom, more evidence of obstruction.

Socreges

Banned
Seems entirely plausible this letter would have only the contrived rationale, no? That it would align more closely with the public memo, rather than Trump's comments in the media?

It is unclear how much of Mr. Trump’s rationale focuses on the Russia investigation
I won't assume and get my hopes up, though it's promising that the content is "problematic".

newsletter-2017-05-22-mueller-special-counsel-cartoon-beeler.jpg

newsletter-2017-05-22-trump-mueller-cartoon-morin.jpg

Please let that letter be completely incriminating.

chekhonte

How do you even find something like that. Are people covering their butts by holding onto more damning things to save themselves?

There are probably laws about destroying a document created using government funds. He dictated a the letter to an aide who is paid by taxpayer funds on a government laptop.

jimmypython

"Dear Mr. Comey,

IT IS AN AMAZING MOMENT! YOUR HANDLING OF THE RUSSIA INVESTIGATION SHOWS YOUR UNBELIEVABLE COSMOPOLITAN BIAS.

MY AUTHORITY SHOULD NOT BE QUESTIONED IN.ANY.WAY!

you are fired.

DONALD J TRUMP"

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Seems entirely plausible this letter would have only the contrived rationale, no? That it would align more closely with the public memo, rather than Trump's comments in the media?

I won't assume and get my hopes up, though it's promising that the content is "problematic".

With WH Counsel saying it was problematic, I'm guessing it was seriously problematic.

jstripes

Banned
Dear Mr Comey

I'm the Boss, I want you out and this is how my company works - you're fired

It has nothing to do with the Russia stuff.

Regards

Donny

I have no doubt Lord Cheeto thought he'd be able to run the administration like his family business. He has no clue how government works.

No wonder Trump went on Comey earlier, a big new story is about to break. Dude must be scared of what he wrote in that letter. "Comey bow down to me, I am your supreme leader, heil Trump.

Allforce

Typical friday, and like a friday I'm just waiting to find out who gets fired tonight.

It's Mueller. Today after 5 PM. I don't even know if or how he can but since yesterday I've just been waiting for the thread to pop up here.

"Trump Fires Special Counsel Robert Mueller"

br3wnor

Long time but they are using resources from NY state and the FBI. NY State AG will be doing most of the the money chargers which is good. I think it will make it harder to pardon.

Trump can’t pardon any state charges, only federal ones. NY gonna become the GOAT if we can get these fucks locked up w/ no bail out from Donnie.

Dear Mr Comey

I'm the Boss, I want you out and this is how my company works - you're fired

It has nothing to do with the Russia stuff.

Regards

Donny

More like:

Dear Comey,

You're fired! I took a chance with you and kept you on even though Obama appointed you. Clearly a very big mistake! You publicly defended Hillary Clinton on her emails but refuse to defend me. You also won't investigate the people I want you to. Your great disloyalty has made me look terrible! I was so generous to you and you betrayed me! You are terminated effective immediately!

Xoxoxo,

Trump

This administration is pretty leaking, and given the nature of this case, I doubt most or any are coming from Mueller's team. More plausible is that the sources are coming from people who interact with the team.

I wonder if Mueller and the media are working together to some extent. The Media gets a lot of leaked info from aides. Sometimes in the NYT's case Trump does an interview and leaks it himself. Some of this info Mueller can use. Information from the investigation get leaked and you usually get to watch Trump and co. bury their holes deeper, scrambling around and ensuing chaos. Usually Trump and co. in the mess of things reveal more damaging info as well or point Mueller in the right direction.

It's Mueller. Today after 5 PM. I don't even know if or how he can but since yesterday I've just been waiting for the thread to pop up here.

"Trump Fires Special Counsel Robert Mueller"

Trump can't directly fire Mueller. Trump can fire either Sessions or Rosenstein and replace them with someone that will fire him.

Maybe it's because I'm sick, but I don't get the importance here. Some one mind explaining it to me?

Does the letter literally state that he fired Comey because of the investigation?

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Trump can’t pardon any state charges, only federal ones. NY gonna become the GOAT if we can get these fucks locked up w/ no bail out from Donnie.

That is what I thought. NY been working on a case forever if I am not mistaken. Muller knows what he is doing when he got the NY AG part of it.

Maybe it's because I'm sick, but I don't get the importance here. Some one mind explaining it to me?

Does the letter literally state that he fired Comey because of the investigation?

The WH counsel blocked that letter being sent because he found it dubious. As in dubious from a legal perspective.

This lawyer has a good thread explaining it:

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/903669786332278785

Basically it's not a good thing to draft such a letter and if your own lawyer shoots it down means you shouldn't have written it.
Also implicates Miller.

Top Bottom