• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Mueller told former Trump campaign chairman Manafort to expect an indictment

He is white and rich. He'll get a plea deal and a slap on the wrist unless they want him to flip on Trump. All these shitbags need to serve time but I'm not optimistic.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
He is white and rich. He'll get a plea deal and a slap on the wrist unless they want him to flip on Trump. All these shitbags need to serve time but I'm not optimistic.

What part of "going for the kill" and treating them like mafiosos instead of white collar criminals do you not understand?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Mueller is reported to have drawn dicks on Manafort's face with a Sharpie marker before waking him.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.

Mueller doesn't slap wrists, he breaks knees.

And they definitely want him to flip on Trump.

There's a reason all the Open testimony stopped in the congressional investigations. No one found that strange?

And it wasn't cos Mueller said not to.

Nephtis

We all know Manafort is fucked. I just want to know when anything is going to involve the President. Until then, none of these things shock or surprise me.

chefbags

Sorry if this was already talked about, didn't see it in this thread though.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/19/politics/mueller-manafort-pressure-decade-investigation/index.html

Looks like the investigation into Manafort goes back ELEVEN YEARS, lol

Mueller doing that thing he knows best. The details.

raw

What is the reason?

My guess is once something is tipped in a certain direction, it falls completely and chaos reigns.

Nunes saw something, caked himself and went full obstruction.

Chafetz(sp) saw something, now he's off to spend time with his kids that are at University. (???).

The peaceful transfer of power is paramount and important.

But what do you think happens, what's the process going to be, if they've got Manafort on a wiretap talking to Trump about collusion? Or if they've now got hard evidence that Trump is as badly fucked as anyone can imagine?

It would attack the very bedrock of American institutions.

You think these deluded Trump supporters will go gently into the night?

Total chaos will happen.

KHarvey16

My guess is once something is tipped in a certain direction, it falls completely and chaos reigns.

Nunes saw something, caked himself and went full obstruction.

Chafetz(sp) saw something, now he's off to spend time with his kids that are at University. (???).

The peaceful transfer of power is paramount and important.

But what do you think happens, what's the process going to be, if they've got Manafort on a wiretap talking to Trump about collusion? Or if they've now got hard evidence that Trump is as badly fucked as anyone can imagine?

It would attack the very bedrock of American institutions.

You think these deluded Trump supporters will go gently into the night?

Total chaos will happen.

This is fanfic.

KHarvey16

What part is fanfic?

Almost all of it. I mean, c'mon. We knew the public hearings would pretty much stop as soon as Mueller was appointed. Every expert with legal experience or knowledge of these people or these investigations predicted that.

And there isn't going to be some civil war if it turns out Trump colluded and is removed.

Almost all of it. I mean, c'mon. We knew the public hearings would pretty much stop as soon as Mueller was appointed. Every expert with legal experience or knowledge of these people or these investigations predicted that.

And there isn't going to be some civil war if it turns out Trump colluded and is removed.

Mueller already said they could have open hearings in the past.

Yeah sure, remove Trump. People go off on removing a statue of Robert E Lee.

Removing a President that has a near fanatic support base will be just fine.

I can already hear the punditry.

"We are witnessing before our very eyes, friends, true patriots, a deep state coup"

And I'm sure the police that watched a white supremacist shoot into a crowd of protesters then did nothing. Will have all your backs.

I'm telling you, if it goes down like that. Carnage.

Sure, war might be pushing it. But don't underestimate how much shit would go down. Trump is not just a President. He's a Dear Leader with religious implication to deliver the country back to them.

Huge religious figures like Jerry Falwell jr (who controls the largest evangelical college) and Robert Jefress speak of him in biblical terms, and everyday in small towns the persecution complex is building and building as if he's Jesus and the rest of the gov't are Pharisees. It's not a fargone conclusion to think of civil unrest in this environment.

It was 10 hours of questioning and 20k pages of documentation that Fusion GPS (Steele Dossier) gave to the congressional committees.

So they're going to get convicted of lying to congress I suppose? Dang pretty big lie there I guess?

Where was the public testimony? Don't think about it.

They can't do public hearings anymore it'll tip everything over.

No it's got jack to do with Mueller. They can't have that level of information in the public sphere of discourse.

Fusion GPS even said to make it public, but congress didn't want that. Shock.

Mueller already said they could have open hearings in the past.

Yeah sure, remove Trump. People go off on removing a statue of Robert E Lee.

Removing a President that has a near fanatic support base will be just fine.

I can already hear the punditry.

"We are witnessing before our very eyes, friends, true patriots, a deep state coup"

And I'm sure the police that watched a white supremacist shoot into a crowd of protesters then did nothing. Will have all your backs.

I'm telling you, if it goes down like that. Carnage.
That I get, but we can't be afraid of that outcome, or else it will be similar to when they say that when you live in a state of fear, terrorists wins. What THEY want is for people NOT to fight, to remain content with the way things are, not to speak up, not to expose them, nor punish them for the wrong they constantly get away with. Whether it leads to nothing happening or all hell breaking loose, maybe that is something we HAVE to confront. Lord knows we've turned our backs on it for far too long.

I avoid the politics on GAF for the most part, but I've definitely been watching this all with a very close eye and much interest.

Not sure if it deserves its own new thread or not or if it's already been posted, but CBS reported earlier that the U.S. has intercepts of Manafort discussing the election with the Russians and that they 'potentially' have Trump on record too.

"According to a former U.S. official, the intercepts picked up conversations between Manafort and Russian individuals about the campaign. The intercepts potentially include conversations between Manafort and President Trump."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/paul-manafort-surveillance-during-2016-campaign/

I avoid the politics on GAF for the most part, but I've definitely been watching this all with a very close eye and much interest.

Not sure if it deserves its own new thread or not or if it's already been posted, but CBS reported earlier that the U.S. has intercepts of Manafort discussing the election with the Russians and that they 'potentially' have Trump on record too.

"According to a former U.S. official, the intercepts picked up conversations between Manafort and Russian individuals about the campaign. The intercepts potentially include conversations between Manafort and President Trump."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/paul-manafort-surveillance-during-2016-campaign/

Obama's wiretaps worked!

How do they potentially include Trump? Either they do or they don't.

Well, I personally think it's because they definitively do have Trump, but are using soft language because they are still clearly not ready to unload.

This is just even more intense posturing of the Special Counsel and crew saying 'We see you'.

Need a manafort intercept with hannity talking about the ruskies and we’ll be good to go.

Trump is for sure in the wiretaps the idiot kept calling Manafort after he left with his personal phone despite his lawyers urging him to stop. This was before he got Cob as his lawyer. It's the same with Kelly he kept calling him too 😂

I'd be fine even if it's just Manafort that they get. This keeps the story up on top of the news cycle for a very, very long time. It will be Trump's emails.

I'd be fine even if it's just Manafort that they get. This keeps the story up on top of the news cycle for a very, very long time. It will be Trump's emails.

Yeah I don't think the actions they are currently taking are the actions of people looking to say 'Welp, Paul Manafort's our guy!'.

Though I do wonder how they will execute on all of this.

I've lurked through all of this stuff since the onset, since Trump announced he was running for President really. On that day, I had this inkling that said 'Something bad, very bad, is happening here' and I've been intently paying attention to all of this and been actively working to be more politically literate after years of general apathy and apolitical thought. I realized that the way I've lived has directly contributed to the very political nature that the U.S. finds itself in.

But I want to say, after reading about a lot of this, I think that it's pretty clear that Donald Trump has had questionable business action since the 80's and that it's very well likely corruption within the Trump name goes beyond just DJT.

I feel that this is an extremely bad problem for the United States. Some context on my perspective, I live in the capital of West Virginia, probably the nicest part of the state. But I have first hand vision into people who buy into the rhetoric and bullshit and you have to believe me when I say it's terrifying. The delusion is unreal, unreal. And the general apathy and 'Idontgiveafuck-ness' of both my local peers and people more generally is extremely alarming to me.

When people say that 'The deep state uprising could devastate the U.S.', I can see it. The rabid self-delusion is crazy deep in these people, and I legitimately don't think they have much capacity to self reflect and understand this stuff.

Needless to say, what happens whenever Mueller and co. decide to commit will be interesting to say the least. I think it will be an extreme tight-rope to walk.

Will people accept it? I honestly don't know. I've personally been trying to incite as much discussion and awareness as possible within my personal social media and in my personal life, but most people seemingly have double-downed on either blind devotion or Ostrich-like apathy/avoidance.

When people say that 'The deep state uprising could devastate the U.S.', I can see it. The rabid self-delusion is crazy deep in these people, and I legitimately don't think they have much capacity to self reflect and understand this stuff.

Needless to say, what happens whenever Mueller and co. decide to commit will be interesting to say the least. I think it will be an extreme tight-rope to walk.

Will people accept it? I honestly don't know. I've personally been trying to incite as much discussion and awareness as possible within my personal social media and in my personal life, but most people seemingly have double-downed on either blind devotion or Ostrich-like apathy/avoidance.

Yeah when people here and elsewhere get frustrated by nothing really happening publicly, I think about the reactions if a large percentage of the population doesn't believe Mueller and the investigation. You really have to beat the popjlace over the head with this. It will be ugly regardless but this has to develop over time and be a complete destruction of the legitimacy of the administration.

Scirrocco

Yeah when people here and elsewhere get frustrated by nothing really happening publicly, I think about the reactions if a large percentage of the population doesn't believe Mueller and the investigation. You really have to beat the popjlace over the head with this. It will be ugly regardless but this has to develop over time and be a complete destruction of the legitimacy of the administration.

This is true, but keep in mind the longer the investigation takes, the longer Trump and the GOP have to gas light their supporters with propoganda. Fake news!" "witchhunt!" "muellers team are biased Clinton supporters!" Until people don't just believe the lie, but have absorbed it to the very core.

It's a race, and one I'm very afraid we could lose.

Zolo

This is true, but keep in mind the longer the investigation takes, the longer Trump and the GOP have to gas light their supporters with propoganda. Fake news!" "witchhunt!" "muellers team are biased Clinton supporters!" Until people don't just believe the lie, but have absorbed it to the very core.

It's a race, and one I'm very afraid we could lose.

It could also be argued that the longer the investigation takes, the more people who voted for Trump still aren't hyped, the more people aren't really willing to defend him.

Top Bottom