• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Russian Election Hacking Efforts, Wider Than Previously Known, Draw Little Scrut

jelly

That's something else and clever enough that you can say votes weren't changed so no foul but not allowing people to vote is just as bad. How do figure this one out and then what?

pirata

If this happened at a large enough scale that the election was essentially invalid (only won via tampering) what would we even do? I personally think its likely but see no way any kind of reset, revote, impeachent, etc could go well for the stability of our democracy.

Maybe that was the whole point...

Even if corrective measures can be taken somehow, it still shows the world that our traditional system of Liberal democracy is flawed, which is part of Russia's geopolitical strategy against democracy/the West.

Kasumin

I don't think Republicans actually want a democracy anymore. They want an Emperor and a familial monarchy. But only as long as that monarchy is white and racist.

Looking at the Republican party's actions, it seems like they want a democracy that appears to function but is actually a one-party state. Keep Democrats around but keep them powerless and ineffective. Republicans can keep running their usual obfuscations and whataboutisms if any outsider tries to criticize the country's political system in that kind of situation, too.

It would destroy the US in enough time but it's not like the Republicans care about that. They'd burn down the country if they could announce their election victory to its ashes.

So all the claims Trump made of the election being rigged were true and he knew it was likely? Since that seems to have been the case with everything he's deflected from and repeated over and over so far.

With all the things Trump said about Pennsylvania being a guaranteed win for him, unless it was rigged, I expect he knew it was being hacked, but also expected that hacking to be discovered. After which he would claim that the discovery was the rigging taking place.

You know, Kenya had some doubts about their election results. They are voting again later this year. With all this stuff in the US they should just do a revote also. There is way too much bullshit going on to have any trust in the results and how we got there.

And go back to paper while you're at it. Takes a bit longer, but it seems to still be the safest way.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Also subtle enough that Republicans can just deflect it as the voter's problem or registration issues or whatnot, and the general public was just shrug and go "oh, yeah, that makes sense"

Makes you question the almost relatively sudden need for voter ID laws from the right

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Anecdotal: I live in a very purple district in a red state and waited for an hour when I've never, ever EVER had to wait more than 5 min. We just didn't have that much turnout ever. But this time I waited forever.

I 100% believe this is not just limited to a few counties in a couple swing states. We're looking at something deep and perverse and very widespread.

MIMIC

Banned
It's very interesting that this problem was more widespread than originally thought, but only one county out of the ones mentioned went for Trump (and that was a county in Arizona). The county the article focused on went overwhelmingly for Hillary.

It's a problem in and of itself, but it wouldn't have changed the election since Hillary already won the affected counties. It's also odd that state officials 1) don't want to investigate the issue and 2) wouldn't accept help from the federal government. But the officials of the county that the article has focused on doesn't think anything nefarious happened anyway:

In Durham County, officials have rejected any notion that an intruder sought to alter the election outcome. “We do not believe, and evidence does not suggest, that hacking occurred on Election Day,” Derek Bowens, the election director, said in a recent email.

Allard

It's very interesting that this problem was more widespread than originally thought, but only one county out of the ones mentioned went for Trump (and that was a county in Arizona). The county the article focused on went overwhelmingly for Hillary.

It's a problem in and of itself, but it wouldn't have changed the election since Hillary already won the affected counties. It's also odd that state officials 1) don't want to investigate the issue and 2) wouldn't accept help from the federal government. But the officials of the county that the article has focused on doesn't think anything nefarious happened anyway:

Uh the problem is that the affected counties were the ones that were expected to go for Hilary, its a statewide election, every vote matters and even if those counties were won the fact the issue occurred in those specific counties shows a clear intention to tamper with the end result, the person who wins the entire state.

WedgeX

Banned
I was called a "bedwetter" in PoliGAF after saying I was worrying about this before the election. It was obvious the ability to do this was there.

I am right there with you, friend. Have been very concerned about this. And now we know, we were right.

Affecting the vote totals of a county affects the vote totals of a state...which is all that matters...

I am right there with you, friend. Have been very concerned about this. And now we know, we were right.

Affecting the vote totals of a county affects the vote totals of a state...which is all that matters...

Right. How would people not get this?

This is... I mean it's a holy shit I hope this isn't real kind of story.

Because holy shit. I hope this isn't real. I can't even begin to imagine the repercussions of this if it happened and *if* it flipped the election.

As horrible and unreliable as those voting machines are I think the easier hack was to the voter rolls. They were stored in internet connected databases the government hasn't shown much talent in protecting and they had evidence of systematic sql injection queries.

Read this article earlier. They specifically called out the county I live in saying it had voting issues. If so the hackers selected the perfect two counties for my state. Prince William, Loudon, Fairfax and Arlington county in VA make up NOVA which is a massive growing area that grew large enough to swing VA blue since 2008 and we haven't looked back. Granted Prince William and Loudon do have a lot of rural areas and white gated community suburbia in addition to more culturally diverse towns and cities. I hadn't heard this issue and I researched all info and still have yet to find any election issues that occurred in my county. I still believe the article but I can't find any info to back up their claim for Prince William County.

Bleepey

I was called a "bedwetter" in PoliGAF after saying I was worrying about this before the election. It was obvious the ability to do this was there.

There was a poster who thought it was confirmation bias when he noticed a lot of young people were turned away from the polling station

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There was a poster who thought it was confirmation bias when he noticed a lot of young people were turned away from the polling station

At the time no one had any reason to think otherwise, we all had no idea that the Russian interference went beyond the fake news or hacking of the DNC and Clinton campaign. Given what we now know though, it's easy to picture it being far more insidious and the fact it's taken them this long to start asking questions about what happened is absurd (though I understand why they wouldn't want to).

smfh, and of course there's zero republican outrage over this.

Of course not, this would have been the end result of their voter suppression efforts anyway.

Read this article earlier. They specifically called out the county I live in saying it had voting issues. If so the hackers selected the perfect two counties for my state. Prince William, Loudon, Fairfax and Arlington county in VA make up NOVA which is a massive growing area that grew large enough to swing VA blue since 2008 and we haven't looked back. Granted Prince William and Loudon do have a lot of rural areas and white gated community suburbia in addition to more culturally diverse towns and cities. I hadn't heard this issue and I researched all info and still have yet to find any election issues that occurred in my county. I still believe the article but I can't find any info to back up their claim for Prince William County.

No one would have given some people getting turned away at the polls due to not being registered a second look at the time. Everyone would just assume they skipped enough elections that their registration lapsed or they didn't register in time in the first place. Of course it wouldn't have made the news, it happens every election. Unless they were dumb enough to target a reporter everyone would just assume the person fucked up somehow.

If the Times didn't reference another article it means it's original reporting they did for this article.

Bleepey

Problem is if they did that the Dems wouldn't just sit idly by like the GOP has.

Cenk of TYT argued democrats should suppress likely republican voters to highlight their bullshit. I feel conflicted because whilst I think fire should be fought with fire but another part of me thinks someone has to be an adult. The dems would probably not take it well even if too their benefit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Cenk of TYT argued democrats should suppress likely republican voters to highlight their bullshit. I feel conflicted because whilst I think fire should be fought with fire but another part of me thinks someone has to be an adult. The dems would probably not take it well even if too their benefit.

Cenk and TYT are idiots with, thankfully, no power.

This headline:

"Russian Election Hacking Efforts, Wider Than Previously Known, Draw Little Scrutiny"

...doesn't jive too well with the first half of this paragraph:

NYT said:
There are plenty of other reasons for such breakdowns — local officials blamed human error and software malfunctions — and no clear-cut evidence of digital sabotage has emerged, much less a Russian role in it. Despite the disruptions, a record number of votes were cast in Durham, following a pattern there of overwhelming support for Democratic presidential candidates, this time Hillary Clinton

You shouldn't feel conflicted about this and shouldn't be listening to TYT, who still has videos pushing Seth Rich conspiracy theories hosted on their channel.

This headline:

"Russian Election Hacking Efforts, Wider Than Previously Known, Draw Little Scrutiny"

...doesn't jive too well with the first half of this paragraph:

It jives just fine. Russia's intrusion was larger than previously known, they attacked more systems in more states than has been previously reported, including systems that house voter rolls. Also, those intrusions have not received much scrutiny, which is why we can;t draw any hard conclusions.

Right now we simply don't know what they did or did not do. That fact alone should put a pit in your stomach.

Bleepey

You shouldn't feel conflicted about this and shouldn't be listening to TYT, who still has videos pushing Seth Rich conspiracy theories hosted on their channel.

It jives just fine. Russia's intrusion was larger than previously known, they attacked more systems in more states than has been previously reported, including systems that house voter rolls. Also, those intrusions have not received much scrutiny, which is why we can;t draw any hard conclusions.

Right now we simply don't know what they did or did not do. That fact alone should put a pit in your stomach.

That was Jimmy Dore and people on tyt called him out on that bullshit

Trump is illegitimate. Thats the start and end of this. He did not win the election, he stole it.

Arrest him and everyone connected and punish them to the fullest extent for high treason.

Slap devastating sanctions on Russia, start a campaign of physical sabotage of their fossil fuel industry, start assassinating oligarchs, use a foreign-sourced nuke to destroy the naval base at Vladivostok.

Atlas157

Trump is illegitimate. Thats the start and end of this. He did not win the election, he stole it.

Arrest him and everyone connected and punish them to the fullest extent for high treason.

Slap devastating sanctions on Russia, start a campaign of physical sabotage of their fossil fuel industry, start assassinating oligarchs, use a foreign-sourced nuke to destroy the naval base at Vladivostok.

Possible nuke area?

That was Jimmy Dore and people on tyt called him out on that bullshit

And yet TYT still hosts the videos and happily collects the views. Pretty neat how they get to play both sides, huh?

If they really thought it was bullshit, they would have taken them down. It's a pretty good window into exactly what TYT is about.

Nuke Russia. Lol. Get a grip. That's Insanity

e31.jpg

Top Bottom