• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Russian Election Hacking Efforts, Wider Than Previously Known, Draw Little Scrut

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Trump is illegitimate. Thats the start and end of this. He did not win the election, he stole it.

Arrest him and everyone connected and punish them to the fullest extent for high treason.

Slap devastating sanctions on Russia, start a campaign of physical sabotage of their fossil fuel industry, start assassinating oligarchs, use a foreign-sourced nuke to destroy the naval base at Vladivostok.

You had me till the escalation...

royalan

And this is why I freak the fuck out whenever someone whines about not being able to vote by app. HELL no.

The clear solution is to return to an all-paper system. Yeah, it'll take longer, results won't be as quick, and it won't solve everything, but it's the most immediate thing we can do to protect our elections.

Because the nightmare awaiting us is Russia really hasn't been punished for hacking our elections. What happened in 2016 (from the scores of bots, to the fake news sites that appeared at the beginning of the year and then disappeared after the election), has yet to be really addressed outside of sanctions that'll piss Putin off but do nothing to deter him. And Russia's only going to get better at this, and with Trump in the White House, it'll be even easier for them.

2018/20 is going to be a fucking shitshow, and nobody is really trying to prevent that.

FZZ

Banned
Trump is illegitimate. Thats the start and end of this. He did not win the election, he stole it.

Arrest him and everyone connected and punish them to the fullest extent for high treason.

Slap devastating sanctions on Russia, start a campaign of physical sabotage of their fossil fuel industry, start assassinating oligarchs, use a foreign-sourced nuke to destroy the naval base at Vladivostok.

Read the first sentence and was like aight

read the second and I was like aight

read the sanctions and I was like down

read everything else and I was like ayyyyyyyyy lmaooooooo

You had me, then you lost me, Why would you support use of a foreign sourced nuke? We can't have immigrant thermonuclear devices stealing our jobs.

Congrats on the total atomic annihilation?

WedgeX

Banned
And this is why I freak the fuck out whenever someone whines about not being able to vote by app. HELL no.

The clear solution is to return to an all-paper system. Yeah, it'll take longer, results won't be as quick, and it won't solve everything, but it's the most immediate thing we can do to protect our elections.

Because the nightmare awaiting us is Russia really hasn't been punished for hacking our elections. What happened in 2016 (from the scores of bots, to the fake news sites that appeared at the beginning of the year and then disappeared after the election), has yet to be really addressed outside of sanctions that'll piss Putin off but do nothing to deter him. And Russia's only going to get better at this, and with Trump in the White House, it'll be even easier for them.

2018/20 is going to be a fucking shitshow, and nobody is really trying to prevent that.

I think an eventual solution will be a hybrid paper/electronic verification voting system. The verification so that people can audit their own votes to make sure nothing changed after their vote, with help from the original paper ballot.

More intensive but maybe more secure?

The Netherlands went back to paper ballots after white hat hackers proved the voting machines could be penetrated and intelligence services assessed the risk of foreign interference.

The main argument was the scaling of risk: digital solution means that a single flaw in the software puts every tally in the country at risk, whereas paper voting contains tampering to individual ballots or polling stations. We also have a very strict legislation about anonymizing votes, which complicates technical solutions.

Meadows

Banned

I was like yeah.

Yeah.

Fuck yeah!

WOO YEAH!

And then I was like:

giphy.gif

Jetman

Sooo, why isn't this blasting across every news source in America and something being done about it? Is NYT the only ones covering this specific, updated info? Frustrating as fuck because my dumb ass family and dumb ass right wing friends just cry "#FAKENEWS" and then life goes on like normal.
If this shit is real, is the government just completely embarrassed about having our democracy played by Russia? Republican politicians worried it'll shame the party forever?
You'd think at some point the future of our country would override either of those sentiments.

FStubbs

I don't think Republicans actually want a democracy anymore. They want an Emperor and a familial monarchy. But only as long as that monarchy is white and racist.

Conservatives never wanted democracy.

EDIT: That is to say, they only want white racists voting for rich white racists.

Akronis

acJPtVE.gif

FStubbs

Slap devastating sanctions on Russia
, start a campaign of physical sabotage of their fossil fuel industry, start assassinating oligarchs, use a foreign-sourced nuke to destroy the naval base at Vladivostok.

I'm cool with the part in bold. I'd say since we're in a cyber war with them, hacking them back is also fair game.

You went from 1-11 on the volume knob in less than a second. I don't know what to say.

Foffy

Banned

In terms of scaling each bit it goes like this, to me.

- PR Response similar to what the Trump administration would give

- Trump's statements on mice

- Trump on Twitter

You spiked hard at the end, friend.

rambis

Banned
Sooo, why isn't this blasting across every news source in America and something being done about it? Is NYT the only ones covering this specific, updated info? Frustrating as fuck because my dumb ass family and dumb ass right wing friends just cry "#FAKENEWS" and then life goes on like normal.
If this shit is real, is the government just completely embarrassed about having our democracy played by Russia? Republican politicians worried it'll shame the party forever?
You'd think at some point the future of our country would override either of those sentiments.
Anything short of actually changing votes is a non story for most people.

Shauni

So, yeah, I mean is this basically the prelude to the end of American democracy? I don't really see any way out of this that's good. Not with the current party in power not caring at all to do anything about it since it actively benefits them. Can they ever really be out of power again?

Not a surprise of a post after your suggestion of attacking North Korea and sacrificing South Koreans in the process.

Why the fuck are so many Americans always hellbent on military intervention and meddling?

Top Bottom