• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(NYTIMES) Molly: Pure, but Not So Simple aka MDMA is now hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
I hate everyone in this article who think popping mollys is awesome in this article. You get what you deserve for being stupid.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/23/fashion/molly-pure-but-not-so-simple.html?pagewanted=print

At a party not long ago in Park Slope, Brooklyn, Kaitlin, a 22-year-old senior at Columbia University, was recalling the first time she was offered a drug called Molly, at the elegant Brooklyn home of a cultural figure she admired. “She was, like, 50, and she had been written about in the Talk of the Town,” said Kaitlin, who was wearing black skinny jeans and a tank top. “This woman was very smart and impressive.”

At one point, the hostess pulled Kaitlin aside and asked if she had ever tried the drug, which is said to be pure MDMA, the ingredient typically combined with other substances in Ecstasy pills. “She said that it wasn’t cut with anything and that I had nothing to worry about,” said Kaitlin, who declined to give her last name because she is applying for jobs and does not want her association with the drug to scare off potential employers. “And then everyone at the party took it.”

Since that first experience, Kaitlin has encountered Molly at a birthday celebration and at a dance party in Williamsburg. “It’s the only drug I can think of that I have to pay for,” she said. “It makes you really happy. It’s very loose. You just get very turned on — not even sexually, but you just feel really upbeat and want to dance or whatever.”

Molly is not new, exactly. MDMA, or 3,4-methylenedioxy-N-methylamphetamine, was patented by Merck pharmaceuticals in 1914 and did not make much news until the 1970s, when psychotherapists began giving it to patients to get them to open up. It arrived at New York nightclubs in the late 1980s, and by the early ’90s it became the preferred drug at raves at Limelight and Shelter, where a weekly party called NASA later served as a backdrop in Larry Clark’s movie “Kids.”

Known for inducing feelings of euphoria, closeness and diminished anxiety, Ecstasy was quickly embraced by Wall Street traders and Chelsea gallerinas. But as demand increased, so did the adulterants in each pill (caffeine, speed, ephedrine, ketamine, LSD, talcum powder and aspirin, to name a few), and by the new millennium, the drug’s reputation had soured.

Then, sometime in the last decade, it returned to clubs as Molly, a powder or crystalline form of MDMA that implied greater purity and safety: Ecstasy re-branded as a gentler, more approachable drug.

And thanks in part to that new friendly moniker, MDMA has found a new following in a generation of conscientious professionals who have never been to a rave and who are known for making careful choices in regard to their food, coffee and clothing. Much as marijuana enthusiasts of an earlier generation sang the virtues of Mary Jane, they argue that Molly (the name is thought to derive from “molecule”) feels natural and basically harmless.

A 26-year-old New York woman named Elliot, who works in film, took Molly a few months ago at a friend’s apartment and headed to dinner at Souen, the popular “macrobiotic, natural organic” restaurant in the East Village, and then went dancing. “I’ve always been somewhat terrified of drugs,” she said. “But I’d been curious about Molly, which is sold as this pure, fun-loving drug. This is probably completely naïve, but I felt I wasn’t putting as many scary chemicals into my body.”

Robert Glatter, an emergency-room physician at Lenox Hill Hospital on the Upper East Side, might disagree. Dr. Glatter used to go months without hearing about Molly; now, he sees about four patients a month exhibiting its common side effects, which include teeth grinding, dehydration, anxiety, insomnia, fever and loss of appetite.

(More dangerous ones include hyperthermia, uncontrollable seizures, high blood pressure and depression caused by a sudden drop in serotonin levels in the days after use, nicknamed Suicide Tuesdays.)

“Typically in the past we’d see rave kids, but now we’re seeing more people into their 30s and 40s experimenting with it,” Dr. Glatter said. “MDMA use has increased dramatically. It’s really a global phenomenon now.”

Nationally, the Drug Abuse Warning Network reports that the number of MDMA-related emergency-room visits have doubled since 2004. It is possible to overdose on MDMA, though when taken by itself, the drug rarely leads to death, Dr. Glatter said. (Official mortality figures are not available, but a study by New York City’s deputy chief medical examiner determined that from 1997 to 2000, two people died solely because of MDMA.)

According to the United States Customs and Border Protection, there were 2,670 confiscations of MDMA in 2012, up from 186 in 2008.

“Oh, we’re very aware of it,” said Rusty Payne, an agent at the Drug Enforcement Agency’s national office. Mr. Payne had not heard of Molly before 2008. Since then, the agency has used the term to document arrests in Syracuse and Jackson, Miss. “Molly has been very much glamorized in pop culture, which is obviously a problem,” he said.

Indeed, many attribute MDMA’s resurgence to the return of Electronic Dance Music (or E.D.M.), the pulsating Euro beat that has infiltrated the sound of pop radio acts like Rihanna, Kesha and Katy Perry.

At the Ultra Music Festival in Miami last year, Madonna was criticized for asking her audience, “How many people in this crowd have seen Molly?” (She later said that she was referring to a friend’s song, not the drug.)

In the last year, rappers have also embraced Molly, with references to the drug appearing in lyrics by Gucci Mane, Kanye West and Lil Wayne, who raps, “Pop a Molly, smoke a blunt, that mean I’m a high roller,” on Nicki Minaj’s 2012 hit “Roman Reloaded.”

Rick Ross was recently dropped as a Reebok spokesman after he rapped about spiking a woman’s Champagne with Molly. And Miley Cyrus has a new single called “We Can’t Stop,” in which she sings what sounds like, “We like to party, dancing with Molly.” (Her producer has said the lyric is “dancing with Miley.”)

People who like Molly, which can cost $20 to $50 a dose, say it is a more socially acceptable drug than cocaine, because it is not physically addictive.

Cat Marnell, 30, the former beauty director at xoJane.com who recently sold a memoir about drug addiction to Simon & Schuster for a reported $500,000, has noticed that many of her friends who sell Molly like to pack the powder into clear capsules that they buy from LifeThyme Market, the health food store next to C. O. Bigelow in the West Village.

“Molly is the big thing now,” Ms. Marnell said. “Coke is sort of grimy and passé. Weed smells too much and is also sort of low rent and junior high.”

But Ms. Marnell scoffed at MDMA’s reformed image. “People think Molly is this flower-child drug,” she said recalling photos from the 2011 Coachella music festival showing the former Disney star Vanessa Hudgens, wearing a floppy ’70s hat and American Indian-inspired jewelry, dipping into a white powder that the gossip blogs ruled to be Molly.

(Her publicist said it was white chocolate.) “It’s true that it’s not like cocaine in that it doesn’t make you bloated and it doesn’t make your nose raw, but sometimes you take it and you can’t sleep or you get really sick. It’s still a hard-core drug.”

MDMA was first classified as an illegal substance in 1985. By the early 2000s, public officials nicknamed Ecstasy “Agony,” and warned that MDMA use could lead to Parkinson’s disease, a lifetime of depression and “holes in your brain.”

Those claims have since been disproved, according to Dr. John Halpern, a psychiatrist at Harvard who has conducted several MDMA studies. In recent years, the Food and Drug Administration has approved studies looking into whether MDMA can be used to treat post-traumatic stress disorder and anxiety in terminal cancer patients. And Dr. Halpern has found no evidence that the drug impairs cognitive performance. “A drug that actually does kill brain cells — which MDMA doesn’t — is alcohol,” he said.

But a greater worry for doctors and law enforcement officials is the many substances that people might be ingesting unknowingly when they take Molly. “Anyone can call something Molly to try to make sound less harmful,” said Mr. Payne of the D.E.A. “But it can be anything.”

According to Dr. Halpern, many of the powders sold as Molly contain no MDMA whatsoever; others are synthetic concoctions designed to mimic the drug’s effects, Mr. Payne said. Despite promises of greater purity and potency, Molly, as its popularity had grown, is now thought to be as contaminated as Ecstasy once was.

“You’re fooling yourself if you think it’s somehow safer because it’s sold in powdered form,” Dr. Halpern said.

But to some users, Molly still feels like a more respectable substance than others.

“I think people are much more aware of where coke comes from and what it does in those countries,” said Sarah Nicole Prickett, 27, a writer for Vice and The New Inquiry, a culture and commentary site, who called cocaine a “blood drug.” “Molly, if it’s pure, it feels good and fun.” (Much of it comes from Canada and the Netherlands, Mr. Payne said.)

Ms. Prickett, who moved to New York from Toronto last year, added that she could see why the drug might be taking hold in her new habitat.

“My impression of New York was that everyone just did drugs for work, that everyone was on speed,” she said. “Molly makes you feel unplanned, and that’s not a common feeling in New York, where everyone knows where they’re going all the time and they’re going very, very fast.”

Rick Doblin, the founder of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies, which has helped finance MDMA studies since the drug first entered the club scene, put Molly in the context of past drug trends: in the 1960s, he suggested, people searched for deeper spirituality and found LSD; in the ’70s, as hippie culture became mainstream, marijuana entered the suburban household;

in the ’80s, cocaine complemented the extravagance and selfishness of the greed decade; and by the early ’90s, youths dropped out of reality, dancing all night on Ecstasy or slumping in the corner on heroin. MDMA, which in addition to acting as a stimulant also promotes feelings of bonding and human connection, just might be what people are looking for right now.

“As we move more and more electronic, people are extremely hungry for the opposite: human interaction on a deeper level where you’re not rushing around,” Mr. Doblin said. “The rise of Molly is in tune with how people are feeling emotionally.”

I hate everyone in this article who think popping mollys is awesome in this article. You get what you deserve for being stupid.

And what is so stupid about taking Molly or ecstasy? Along with marijuana they are the most harmless intoxicants you can put into your body.

okno

The stigma surrounding MDMA is really disheartening. It's an amazing chemical that I highly recommend to everyone. If done responsibly (once a month at most, no alcohol intake at the same time) it does no harm to the body. Any effects of the drug are reversed over time. It's a perfectly safe and profound drug, and is one that saved my life.

The stigma surrounding MDMA is really disheartening. It's an amazing chemical that I highly recommend to everyone. If done responsibly (once a month at most, no alcohol intake at the same time) it does no harm to the body. Any effects of the drug are reversed over time. It's a perfectly safe and profound drug, and is one that saved my life.
Although I see the point that you're trying to make, condoning the use of drugs isn't very intelligent. Drugs, regardless of their effects, are known to be damaging even if it isn't physical. I'm not someone to go against drugs because most if not all of my friends do them. Its just silly to see someone say "Cocaine is really cleverly constructed therefore we should do it."

okno

Although I see the point that you're trying to make, condoning the use of drugs isn't very intelligent. Drugs, regardless of their effects, are known to be damaging even if it isn't physical. I'm not someone to go against drugs because most if not all of my friends do them. Its just silly to see someone say "Cocaine is really cleverly constructed therefore we should do it."

I see the point you're making, but that's an awfully generalized point. There's a massive difference between MDMA and cocaine, for example, and I am absolutely not saying everyone should just run out and pop it in their mouths immediately. When used properly, it's an amazing tool, but much like any other drug out there it can just as easily be abused. As with anything, research is essential in the matter. Regardless of how safe MDMA may be (read: extremely), it's still something that should be approached with caution.

When used properly, it's an amazing tool, but much like any other drug out there it can just as easily be abused. As with anything, research is essential in the matter.
This right here is why recreational drug users get a bad name. Its kids my age who have no idea what they're doing thinking its okay to just throw back a couple of pills and be done with it. I agree that these drugs are absolutely incredible in terms of their chemical structures and effects but people need to understand more about them before they do them, which is sadly not as often as it should be.

Resilient

I see the point you're making, but that's an awfully generalized point. There's a massive difference between MDMA and cocaine, for example, and I am absolutely not saying everyone should just run out and pop it in their mouths immediately. When used properly, it's an amazing tool, but much like any other drug out there it can just as easily be abused. As with anything, research is essential in the matter. Regardless of how safe MDMA may be (read: extremely), it's still something that should be approached with caution.

You kidding? What you're saying is even more generalised. You could say the same thing about everything that has detrimental effects to you. The problem is that you're assuming majority of the population will research what they're taking and be responsible. That's why drugs are bad.

A friend of mine had a friend visit them at university to go see a DJ and "rave" they took MDMA but the girl had an allergic reaction or had a bad batch and died. I am not pro or anti MDMA but it is a chemical.

A friend of mine had a friend visit them at university to go see a DJ and "rave" they took MDMA but the girl had an allergic reaction or had a bad batch and died. I am not pro or anti MDMA but it is a chemical.
image.php

daycru

You kidding? What you're saying is even more generalised. You could say the same thing about everything that has detrimental effects to you. The problem is that you're assuming majority of the population will research what they're taking and be responsible. That's why drugs are bad.
Ban pizza.

you can also die from eating a peanut if you have a bad enough allergic reaction to it.

Resilient

I don't want to be a smarmy dick. But that is the sad reality of drugs. No matter how much "research" you do into it, you don't know what it will do once it is inside your body. It really is unfortunate that it happens so often simply because people think they know what they are doing and taking random substances.

In Australia, synthetic drugs are becoming more and more popular, and they aren't illegal. Kids keep taking them, and there have been a few reported deaths on the news linked to them. How much worse is it gonna get before it starts getting better?

you can also die from eating a peanut if you have a bad enough allergic reaction to it.

Please be trolling.

Jburton

Banned
I took E almost everyday for a couple years at he tail end of the 90's up to 2002, I took at least over a thousand of those little bastards!

Ended up in the mental hospital after a wicked bad "suicide Tuesday" as they called it in that article, got out and took more (I know, idiot).

I have to say that I am no longer able to feel joy or happiness like I used to ........ the feelings of intense happiness people can feel at joyous is no longer there for me.

I believe this is down to abusing MDMA / E, it seems to have permanently changed my brain chemistry.

okno

No, that's not why drugs are bad. That's poor education on the matter. I am not assuming anything, either, clearly. I am telling people to do their research before ingesting anything, I don't care what the drug is, do your own research. Drugs get a bad rap because people just do things based off of what they learned in school (misleading and frequently incorrect information), from law enforcement (misleading on purpose), or from their friends.

Grinchy

Banned
One of my friends was talking about this drug last year and it was the first time I had heard about it. It sounds like trouble.

"Substance that can kill you if you have too much, even once = Amazing tool." Not quite seeing the connection here.

Probably not good with people with anxiety issues, heart/lung problems, a variety of mental disorders, addiction problems, money problems, blah blah.

But my friends seem to love it! It just made my head burn when I took it... Probably crappy stuff though. Hats off to you if it gives you a good night :D

MooseKing

Banned

There is a huge difference between cocaine and MDMA.

Just because something is labeled a drug, doesn't mean it's harmful in anymore of a way than eating steak, or taking a Tylonal is.

Marijuana is classified as a scheduled 1 drug in America, along side Meth , Herion and all the other heavy hitters. Yet we know it is virtually harmless, has never been the main factor in any deaths, is not physically addictive, and has caused less harm to people, statistically, than crayons.

We have also found out the brain has Cannabinoid receptors; outside of the natural endocannabinoids the human body produces, the only other natural thing on earth that triggers the receptors are the compounds found within Marijuana. If you believe in Evolution, you must question why Marijuana developed these compounds in the first place, as a plant.

MDMA is going through similar research right now. As scientist find out a lot of work that has been done in MDMA is junk-science. It is not, and will never be classified a "harmless" drug, but more and more research is piling up to show it's no worse, and may be less harmful than many things we drink/take/do daily. It is also one of the only compounds that has helped "cure" people of PTSD, and certain governments have given their stamp of approval for doctors to use it on soldiers bound for home from various warfront.

Mdma was first used by psychiatrists during therapy, but at fairly low doses I believe. I suggest non-addictive personalities try it once, and just start with a small amount. You feel fine the next day. There is a time and place for (almost) everything.

What happened to just doing some good ol' LSD...
People still do it, although I've never tried it myself. Also, it's a very psychologically "heavy" drug; it's not a drug you can take in any social situation. Pop culture isnt about opening your mind these days like it was in the 60's.

MooseKing

Banned
"Substance that can kill you if you have too much, even once = Amazing tool." Not quite seeing the connection here.

Probably not good with people with anxiety issues, heart/lung problems, a variety of mental disorders, addiction problems, money problems, blah blah.

But my friends seem to love it! It just made my head burn when I took it... Probably crappy stuff though. Hats off to you if it gives you a good night :D

MDMA is actually not very physically addictive at all. It is mentally addictive, but so is anything.

It is also not easy to OD on MDMA. You can't accidentally take to much and die from it. If you aren't going to eat two fistfuls of over the counter pain pills, I don't see why you would think it is ok to ingest similar amounts of any compound.

The main danger from the use of MDMA is taking care of yourself while you are on it. Making sure you are not getting to warm, and are drinking lots of water. Most of the damage caused from casual use of MDMA comes not from the drug itself, but from the environments and conditions people put themselves in while on it.

You also can't get "bad" Molly, as it's pure MDMA. What you took was probably cut with something, which is never good. If you felt no "good" effects, it probably had no MDMA in it at all.

Newline

MDMA really is the epitome of the phrase Sweet Nothing. Addictive personalities probably should stay clear, apart from that I don't see the problem with a lil Sweet Nothing now and then on special occasions.

Kozak

Banned
One of my friends was talking about this drug last year and it was the first time I had heard about it. It sounds like trouble.

If feeling a huge weight lift off of your shoulders and having only feelings of love and relaxation is trouble, than MDMA is it.

Everyone should have an MDMA experience with a close group of friends or family at least once in their life.

Loosen up? Haven't these people heard of booze?

They have. They weighed it up and responsibly using MDMA > responsibly using alcohol.

I feel vaguely guilty that I can only think of the characters from HBO's Girls as the people being interviewed in the article, and it fills me with blind irrational rage.

Chichikov

I feel vaguely guilty that I can only think of the characters from HBO's Girls as the people being interviewed in the article, and it fills me with blind irrational rage.
People from all walks of life do MDMA and have been doing it for years.
Like pretty much all recreational drugs, it's not as big of a deal as the media make it.
It's just shit people do (mostly) on the weekend, because you know, as the great Ozzy Osbourne said - sobriety sucks.

MooseKing

Banned
I suggest people actually read the article. It's not bad at all, and more of a warning for people to be carfeful.

They admit you can't exactly OD and die from taking MDMA alone. They also admit all the past research showing it causes brain damage was untrue and has since been debunked.

They say the number of emergency room visits due to the drug has doubled, yet hint that use may have more than doubled. They also do not given any figures for exactly how many emergency room visits, as it's probably not an impressive number.

They say a lot of what people are taking isn't pure MDMA, and many times is not MDMA at all. Which is true, and why people need to make sure they know where theirs comes from, or at least have some trust in the person providing it.

If you plan to do it, just be careful. Be aware of what is around you, and stay hydrated. Don't go drinking tons of alcohol, and doing Molly, then wondering why it may cause problems. When you wouldn't do the same for other drugs you buy at a drug store, with the big warning labels.

I remember watching a program on TV years ago about ecstacy, and it basically said the drug causes your body to release something in your brain (forgot the name now, someone in here will know) which causes the euphoric feeling. The issue, it said, was that there was only a limited supply of this stuff in your bain and once it runs out, it's gone. This led them to conclude it could lead to severe depression later in life as you've basically ran out of the happy stuff.

I remember watching a program on TV years ago about ecstacy, and it basically said the drug causes your body to release something in your brain (forgot the name now, someone in here will know) which causes the euphoric feeling. The issue, it said, was that there was only a limited supply of this stuff in your bain and once it runs out, it's gone. This led them to conclude it could lead to severe depression later in life as you've basically ran out of the happy stuff.
well i'm convinced

You know what your username comes from, right?

It doesn't make you sloppy like alcohol, it makes you elated and energetic.

I would hope I know where my username comes from. In seriousness though I've noticed the rise of Molly, and the correlation is entirely with the increase in people in their late teens and early 20's going to music festivals. So basically the EDM scene is pushing people to go the MDMA route as they are partying at venues as opposed to bars making booze less of the center point as the experience with the music is what people are interested in.

If I'm going to do a drug that makes me happy ill just go the old fashion route up the nose with a pile of blow.

okno

This is partially correct. MDMA causes your brain to be flooded with serotonin, making you feel very, very good (there are a number of other chemicals released into the brain that aid this, but this is the primary agonist). However, your serotonin levels are not finite, so any amount that released when you do it will be replenished over time. Frequent usage will make it harder for your brain to bring itself back up to the normal levels, which can cause abusers of the drug to feel like they aren't "as happy" anymore once they stop using the drug. With moderate and carefully controlled dosages and usage, you can avoid this easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom