• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official All-Pro Football 2k8 Neo-GAF Online League Thread: Rats off to ya!

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
FrenchMovieTheme said:
well it's not exactly their fault they stopped making NFL games either. i realize this idea could have happened 3 years ago but making a game isn't like eating a chicks ass out after you just met her at the club that night. there are financial things that play into it and while i'm sure all the VC team wanted to make another football game from the get-go it doesn't always work that way nor are they calling the shots from that angle.

sucks that we wont see APF again until 2k10, but i hope they release plenty of DLC!

LMAO wtf :lol :lol :lol

MechDX

I hope this hasnt been mentioned already vut I GOTTA know:

Is OJ Simpson really on a team called "The Assasins"? And the mascot is a hooded person who comes out and makes stabbing motions with a knife in his hand?:lol

I heard this on The Pulse on ESPN radio.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
vumpler said:
Yeah its hard to believe they would let it just keep on ticking with no consequence... That would be the ultimate way to not give in to a cheeser lol. Just leave for the day.

The pause clock goes for 5 mins. When that 5 min runs out it gives you an option to quit without it negatively effecting your record but it doesn't give you the win. So I'm guessing that it doesn't negatively effect the other players record either.

The achievements don't work in this game. I've played two online games and still don't have the achievement for playing an online game. Ridiculous.

LiveWire

Truelize said:
The pause clock goes for 5 mins. When that 5 min runs out it gives you an option to quit without it negatively effecting your record but it doesn't give you the win. So I'm guessing that it doesn't negatively effect the other players record either.

The achievements don't work in this game. I've played two online games and still don't have the achievement for playing an online game. Ridiculous.

I think it only happens when you play an online ranked game. They need to fix the description.

Kingpen

I expected these kind of reviews... reviewers have set expectations for next gen games which give them this justification to knock the score down...

I'm glad I paid attention to all the user feedback on this game instead of professional reviews... There are some nags in the way it is executed, but the gameplay is second to none and that is what matters to me when I play it. Both reviews don't give nearly enough credit to the crowd atmosphere and presentation of the game, which is extremely polished compared to anything from EA's camp.

I just pulled out table tennis and had a blast with that as well cause the gameplay is so good. That is how AFB2k8 is. I know I'll be using this as my football game to come for a long time...

EB Guy

Burger King viral marketer
Is it wrong to want to have sex with this game? I mean, I think I would marry this game if it were a chick. The best football game I have ever played. I'm having so much fun with late 4th quarter comebacks with Joe Cool. I'm as gitty as a school girl!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Yeah... this game is amazing. I love it. I need to hit the sack for work tomorrow but I think I'm still going to try and squeeze in another game first. Can't help myself.

newsguy

recklessmind said:
Yeah... this game is amazing. I love it. I need to hit the sack for work tomorrow but I think I'm still going to try and squeeze in another game first. Can't help myself.

Haha don't kid yourself. I "squeezed in a game" at midnight and went to bed at 3:30.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
newsguy said:
Haha don't kid yourself. I "squeezed in a game" at midnight and went to bed at 3:30.

Heh... game took an hour. I won 10 - 3. I will sleep well on that win. :D

LiveWire

Yea, the game has a lot of flaws, but it's like your favorite football team; you know they may be 2-14, but you love em anyway. Right Rorschach?

Speaking of its flaws, check this out:

ALLPRO2K83.jpg

1st and 10 on the 2, Marino tosses the ball to the halfback who gets demolished by my defensive end in the endzone. The game declares in 2nd and 12 on the goalline. I challenge the spot and the play stands. :lol

:(

Ramirez

I challenged a play today, WR caught it, then dropped it .2 seconds later and they called it a fumble. So the Ref says the play stands, it's a fumble, yet I get the ball back. :lol

unomas

Banned
I challenged a play in my last game and got the player overturned in my favor. My wideout was ruled out of bounds when he hauled in a pass on 3rd and long but he was in and the call was overuled. It kept my drive alive but I ended up losing the game 17-14 in the end. It took me 2 full quarters to realize that I needed to shutdown Walter Payton at all costs because all my opponent could do was run him to the left. Unfortunately he broke two huge TD runs to the left before the half and I was down 14-0. I missed a 40 yard field goal just before half and kicked to him in the second half.

I finally started putting my offense together and shut his running game down but it was too little too late. He was already milking the clock in the 3rd quarter a bit because he probably knew he couldn't do jack on offense after I figured him out. It was fun to play, but I wish I had figured his gameplan out before he broke off two huge TD plays. I outgained him by 150 yards, tripled his time of possesion and had no turnovers and lost the game. Go figure!

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
LiveWire said:
I think it only happens when you play an online ranked game. They need to fix the description.

I did play a ranked game. That's the thing. I've read on some other sites of this stuff happening. Hopefully it will figure itself out.

Hunter D

FrenchMovieTheme said:
unomas you will probably be in the league as duce22 is banned and i have no idea where he is.
I hope he asked before because I asked a few pages back. :(

Anyone want to take part in a 4 player tourney? My GT is Charsace.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Truelize said:
I did play a ranked game. That's the thing. I've read on some other sites of this stuff happening. Hopefully it will figure itself out.
All of mine are saving correctly. I just got the 20 online wins achievement earlier today. And like your gamer score needs to be any higher! Its 10x higher than mine... LITERALLY lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I've read a ton about wacky ass challenges, catches, calls and just plain weirdness in the game. Why is this being glossed over? That's some pretty shitty bugs.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Big Zep said:
because its just challenges...at most 2 screwups a game.
At most is right. I've had about 5 screw ups total on challenges in 31 games online. Not to shabby. I don't know why some people are making it sound worse than it is. Refs make bad calls on reviews in the NFL, they might as well make bad calls in APF to keep it sim :lol

MechDX said:
I hope this hasnt been mentioned already vut I GOTTA know:

Is OJ Simpson really on a team called "The Assasins"? And the mascot is a hooded person who comes out and makes stabbing motions with a knife in his hand?:lol

I heard this on The Pulse on ESPN radio.

Here, check out my thread on the OJ/Assassins affair.

Cool . . . some free publicity on ESPN radio. :D

I'm concluding that this was ingenious marketing . . . quasi-controversy but giving them plausible deniability.

Kingpen said:
I expected these kind of reviews... reviewers have set expectations for next gen games which give them this justification to knock the score down...

I'm glad I paid attention to all the user feedback on this game instead of professional reviews... There are some nags in the way it is executed, but the gameplay is second to none and that is what matters to me when I play it.

Most of the reviews basically say "It plays great but it is short on game mode options." I'd think they'd at least give it an 8/10 considering how well it plays and the great online support (quick game, lobbies, tournaments, leagues, etc.).

Hunter D said:
You guys could just knock the ref on his ass. After he makes a bad call.

Yeah, I wish they wouldn't end the play so quick because I'd like to be able to do that more. I loved checking players & refs after the whistle in NHL 2K7. Gotta watch it in APF 2K8 though, they'll call you on late hits.

SickBoy

After playing some more, I'm really impressed with how the game seems to play... I keep reading about how it plays like 2K5, but IMO it 'feels' like it, but it's leaps and bounds better.

I never thought all that much of 2K5... but this really does deliver. I'd love to see what they're capable with some more development time. I'm excited about what 2K10 might bring.

also, at first i liked the idea of a challenging kicking game, but this is ridiculous man. 2k needs to patch this or SOMETHING. you cannot regularly hit FGs with ANYONE, even legends! and all of the kickoffs go to the 10 yard line at best. takes a lot of strategy out of the game when you are scared to kick a fg from the opponents 25 yard line and out and when your opponent consistently has starting field position of 35 yard line or better.

KarishBHR

I cannot believe the bad scores this game is getting... it is by far the best football sim ever.

I am beginning to like the legenday players aspect, before I was just "unbothered' by it.

My brother who is not always quick to embrace sports games is loving it too

thats a catch 22 my friend. either i play on legend/all pro and have the AI on offense and defense be decent, or i play on rookie/pro and have the kicking game be decent. lose-lose, this game needs sliders!

FrenchMovieTheme said:
thats a catch 22 my friend. either i play on legend/all pro and have the AI on offense and defense be decent, or i play on rookie/pro and have the kicking game be decent. lose-lose, this game needs sliders!
Uh . . . this is 2K Sports . . . it has sliders. Put it on legend/All pro and then go crank up the human kicking slider. Maybe that will be get you what you are looking for.

Costanza said:
I'm loving this game, but I really wish there was a way to play 1-2 minute quarters online. :(

You guys keep under estimating this game. You can play 1-2 minute quarters online. I guess they may be unranked games though. Just set your custom online options to your 1-2 minute quarters. You can turn off auto-strafe and enable multiple hot routes too.

Costanza

Banned
speculawyer said:
You guys keep under estimating this game. You can play 1-2 minute quarters online. I guess they may be unranked games though. Just set your custom online options to your 1-2 minute quarters. You can turn off auto-strafe and enable multiple hot routes too.
Ah ok, cool. I just wasn't seeing it in the custom game section.

Ramirez

Man, so much hyperbole in here, best football sim ever? Most of us have had the game for 2-3 days, the momentum alone is enough for me to knock it out of competition for such a title. Why does it seem like the Off/Def momentum systems are completely different? I have no trouble moving on offense, but on D, it feels totally random. :(

Still, it's a good game, can't wait for the league to start so I can stop playing these ****ing clowns that go for it every 4th down.

RichP

Banned
speculawyer said:
Most of the reviews basically say "It plays great but it is short on game mode options." I'd think they'd at least give it an 8/10 considering how well it plays and the great online support (quick game, lobbies, tournaments, leagues, etc.).

The reviews for this game remind me of Shadowrun's.

"Man, the core game is AWESOME and the gameplay is TERRIFIC but all these inconsequential things that have NOTHING to do with the game itself force me to knock it down a couple points to keep my 'reviewa cred'."

It's complete BS, and once again a game is going to have to rely on user reviews and word of mouth to sell.

Then again, Shadowrun didn't have OJ. :D

Kolgar

I guess I'll open my copy I bought three days ago.

Part of me wants to see how Madden 08 turns out before committing to 2K8. Does anyone know if Madden will run at 60fps online as well as off? I see they're bringing back that crappy radio announcer. But the visuals look fantastic and I've grown rather comfortable with Madden-style play over the past few years.

I guess if I knew that the passing game in 2K8 was improved over 2K5 (i.e., fewer drops), and that the game was relatively free of quirks (i.e., replays of ruled catches definitely show that the receiver got two feet in), I'd do it.

One last question. Can you initiate and manipulate replays online? My friends and I sorely missed that feature in the PS2 version of Madden 07.

BirdBomb

Banned
i dont know about the less drops part... i still get loads of drops. a non legend guy drops loads of passes, especially wide open ones. legend players drop some easy ones too, but strangely they never seem to drop the real hard spectacular catches. same with non legend players i guess. my no name FB cant catch a normal pass to save his life but a diving over the shoulder one handed catch? money!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Has Take2 announced a European release yet?

If I go on Amazon.co.uk and search for 'all pro football 2k8' the only game that comes up is Madden 08. :lol

Top Bottom