• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Animal Crossing: City Folk / Let's Go to the City! Thread of Fun & Innocence

Emotions

I hated when my fav neighboors would leave
town sometimes if i didnt play it regularly...
It sucked you couldn't get them back.

Minsc

Gold Member
courage201 said:
Are the town layouts all disjointed? I hate the ridge and the disjointed river-- it makes it a pain getting around my town.

I don't think mine is? I'm not sure what you mean, but I don't have problems getting around.

Ok, for everyone who hasn't played the DS version, the amount of new content you'll find is actually sufficient, well at least for me. Quite a bit of new things, the stargazing, you can pick up flowers off the ground and move/wear them.

You can browse furniture sets in the city ($250,000 for the first one I saw), the Happy Room Academy has been elaborated quite a bit, there's quite a bit more activities. Even get a vibrating controller this time around (missed out on that with fishing with a wavebird).

There's even some new writing in the animals dialog, the occasionally odd but really funny conversations and one of the animals asked me to ask relay a message to another player, and upon doing so, the other player was quizzed and given a reward.

Found an elegant mushroom tonight, figured it'd go for $500 seeing how the normal ones go for $2-300. Nope, way off, 10,000 coins! :D

perfectchaos007 said:
Did they fix the mail system? When someone mails a letter can it now travel to a house in another town?

I think so, when you mail a letter, you are asked what town you want to send the letter to (the town is listed next to the person's name anyway). You can even send your future self letters, I guess to remind yourself or clear up inventory?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm massively impressed by Wii Speak. A buddy and me were communicating a few minutes ago. It was basically crystal clear. I didn't have any issues with hearing myself over his Wii Speak, or his game music, or anything. He briefly heard a blaring siren through mine, but hey, I live right next door to a fire station. I can't do anything about that.

Audio quality is leaps beyond my launch-era X360 headset, and Wii Speak is infinitely more comfortable as well.

I'm just surprised it works so well. And the blue light is cute.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mejilan said:
I'm massively impressed by Wii Speak. A buddy and me were communicating a few minutes ago. It was basically crystal clear. I didn't have any issues with hearing myself over his Wii Speak, or his game music, or anything. He briefly heard a blaring siren through mine, but hey, I live right next door to a fire station. I can't do anything about that.

Audio quality is leaps beyond my launch-era X360 headset, and Wii Speak is infinitely more comfortable as well.

I'm just surprised it works so well. And the blue light is cute.

:eek:

Great impressions!

Mejilan

When AC first calibrated Wii Speak, it warned me not to raise my in-game volume. So I'm guessing it's able to somewhat filter background noise out.

Mejilan said:
When AC first calibrated Wii Speak, it warned me not to raise my in-game volume. So I'm guessing it's able to somewhat filter background noise out.

Wow, they have come a long way from the Wiimote speakers.

Mejilan

Oh, and the download code for the Wii Speak Channel that comes with the Wii Speak hardware is already live. In the mean time you can only download a placeholder channel that'll update and tell you when the channel goes live. But the codes are already live, and you only need to input it once. Once you have the placeholder channel, you're a quick update away from the real thing. You won't need the code again.

Meier

What's up with this not being in widescreen? That's just weird... I like the text though, nice and big and easy to read. I knew there wasn't a visual upgrade from the earlier shots and stuff, but it's still kind of shocking at how samey it looks. Oh well, my girlfriend loves the game and she'll enjoy it, so no biggie.

Meier

Ysiadmihi said:
Uh, it's not?
I dunno, maybe it is. When I unstretched the screen I had big ass bars on the side. I so rarely play my Wii these days that maybe that's just par for the course and I've forgot?

Hmm, quick question...anyone know where you get centipedes? I got a request from my sister's game (I guess she asked me) and I never heard of those...thanks!

oh, and yes, in before Centipedes? in MY Animal Crossing!?!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Quick question time... does anyone know if the WiiSpeak mic works when/if plugged into a USB hub plugged into the Wii?

I'm curious, as a keyboard and Wii Speak will result in all the USB ports being gone...

Mejilan

DavidDayton said:
Quick question time... does anyone know if the WiiSpeak mic works when/if plugged into a USB hub plugged into the Wii?

I'm curious, as a keyboard and Wii Speak will result in all the USB ports being gone...

I could have sworn that Wii Speak's documentation mentioned that it would work with some hubs. It made it sound like YMMV, however.

I've started it and have enjoyed several hours on it thus far. Animal Crossing really rounds out the experience of the system it is on, and it's a welcome edition.

On the DS, I used Animal Crossing as a community hub and as a stepping stone for other online games. For example, I'd invite three other of my friends to the cafe, talk a bit, and use a second DS to play Mario Kart, Pokemon, etc. What unique uses for Animal Crossing have some of you devised?

I use to organize vast communities, everyone would have everyone elses friend codes, and I would schedule a community gathering. Since you could only have four to a visit, it was carefully organized so that people would switch and have the opportunity to play with someone different. I may think about doing something similar. It's great way to just hang out, get other friend codes for different games, and just generally relax.

A few tips:

1) Write interesting things on your town's bulletein board. I like to check it when I go to other people's towns.

2) Don't wander around when some one else visits your town or when you visit theirs. Stick together! Otherwise, it's rude and annoying!

3) Let someone know well in advance when your gates will be open. Let them know when you'll be playing, and perhaps they'll drop by.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
In Animal Crossing DS, you could swap friend codes with people visiting a mutual friend's town... can you still do that?

Online worked perfectly for me last night. Now it doesn't work for me at all tonight. I got stuck with Inquiry hell whenever I tried to roam (3 minutes or so of Getting Inquiry... before giving me back control) and whoever tried to join me got error codes. :(

So, I finished this
22380RUU_0001.jpg

:(

Hive said:
Anyone getting the strategy guide?

It's nice to see a catalog of everything the game has to offer

I bought it. It's quite nice, especially since it's 20% off from Gamestop if you buy the game from them. Even at full price it's worth it I think just to have everything cataloged and accessible. It also has a calander and a list of each animal's birthdays as well. Of course you could get all this stuff for free online too, but it's nice to have a physical copy too.

RaidenZR

Just a heads up for the Turnip/Stalk Market watchers. Each town you visit will have a different asking price by Nook. Oh, and Nook will change that asking price twice a day. Changes at noon or so, I think.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The Interrobanger said:
I only ever played AC on the GameCube and things got real boring after awhile. How many more items/collectibles are in this one compared to the first?

From the OP:

25% more than Wild World, but I don't know the total bump up from the GCN one.

Meier said:
I dunno, maybe it is. When I unstretched the screen I had big ass bars on the side. I so rarely play my Wii these days that maybe that's just par for the course and I've forgot?
That's par for the course when it comes to anamorphic widescreen. The game is in widescreen, though a few things like the virtual keyboard look like they weren't compensated for and look a bit fat.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Quick question: I was just at a friend's town and when my guy used the shovel he twirled it first, but back in my town he doesn't do that. Any idea why?

:Motorbass said:
Thats... a good thing!
Yup, I don't want to share my rooms. There are too few of them to share though.

What about visiting friends Town! Can you visit the Town, not the village, of your friendlist friends without them being online? Its kinda sad you cannot visit the village though. they said it would be possible at e3 if I remember correctly

ZeoVGM

Banned
So I bought this along with a new Wii yesterday (yes, I love the Wii, but I had some money issues this past summer). I hate that stupid glove thing Nintendo packs with it now. You can just take it off, but they even use that glove in the Wii remote animations in-game and stuff. Looks dumb.

And I hate how they changed the strap on the remote too.

Figured I'd get my nitpicking out of the way before I dig into the game after work today. :D

ckohler

Guys, I transferred my DS dude over to City Folk but I don't like the town layout I was given. If I completely wipe it out and start over, can I re-import my DS dude (his catalog) again?

ckohler said:
Guys, I transferred my DS dude over to City Folk but I don't like the town layout I was given. If I completely wipe it out and start over, can I re-import my DS dude (his catalog) again?

Yes. I did it twice actually. ^_^;;

Here's some pictures I took using the in-game camera...

That's me and my fiancee standing on the beach in my town
RUU_0001.jpg

And here's me paying off my first house remodel...
RUU_0005.jpg

And here's one of me standing next to my two favorite items that I dragged out of my DS Catalog. :D
RUU_0007.jpg

Caesar III said:
Yup, I don't want to share my rooms. There are too few of them to share though.

What about visiting friends Town! Can you visit the Town, not the village, of your friendlist friends without them being online? Its kinda sad you cannot visit the village though. they said it would be possible at e3 if I remember correctly
I don't know that they talked about it at this E3, but it was one of the early examples they gave of the advantages of WiiConnect24 back in 2006.

In AC GCN and Wild World you could change the background of your item menu by dragging a shirt to a 16th item slot that wasn't visible on-screen. I've tried dragging shirts to various on-screen locations outside of the 15 item slots, but have had no luck getting the same effect in City Folk. Anyone else?

Top Bottom