• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Animal Crossing: City Folk / Let's Go to the City! Thread of Fun & Innocence

Ysiadmihi

Banned
VBFlag.jpg

My Vault Boy design didn't come out as good as I had hoped it would...guess I'll have to mess with the colors some.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
What the hell?!

Sahara is in town but doesn't want any of the carpets I have.

She wants old carpets.
There isn't something called specifically an 'old carpet'.

I have 3 different floors in my inventory and she acts like I have nothing at all.

Any help?

M3wThr33

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
In AC GCN and Wild World you could change the background of your item menu by dragging a shirt to a 16th item slot that wasn't visible on-screen. I've tried dragging shirts to various on-screen locations outside of the 15 item slots, but have had no luck getting the same effect in City Folk. Anyone else?
What?! That's BULLSHIT.

God, I am so glad I am skipping this.

Iwata:
But if it's actually separate, how do you give the impression to players that they are in the same place?

Nogami:
Two players cannot actually meet up in the city, but you might get an animal that tells you something like: "Just the other day so and so came to visit!"

...yes, I now believe that there is one city, as we cannot be there at the same time, but the game tells me.

Iwata:
So there's no need for players to trek to the city every day.

Nogami:
Riding the bus to the city takes time, so I would like it if players thought something like: "It's Sunday, so maybe I'll head out to the city."
You mean, you did shit all to deal with load times.

Nogami:
Well, I got the chance to become quite an expert on events around the world! (laughs) In Japan, we have the event called tsukimi (moon-viewing). In Japan, when we talk of moon-viewing, we are talking about the mid-autumn moon. There are also events related to the moon which take place at the same time in America, but they are completely different in nature.

Iwata:
In what way?

Nogami:
In autumn in America, at harvest time, you are able to work at night when the moon is bright, so they have the Autumn Moon festival to celebrate this.

Iwata:
Is that right? I had no idea!

I had no idea that we had an Autumn Moon Festival in America either.

Kyogoku:
Apparently, there's a custom in America where people use wheat bundles as decorations during the moon-viewing season.

...do all japanese people get their idea of american culture from martha stewart living

JonathanEx said:
You mean, you did shit all to deal with load times.
It's not just a loading issue. Going to the city would only take a few seconds if they didn't force a bus conversation with Kapp'n.
EmCeeGramr said:
Heh. Funky wording, but I remember back in 2002 Animal Crossing informed me when the harvest moon was.

JoshuaJSlone said:
It's not just a loading issue. Going to the city would only take a few seconds if they didn't force a bus conversation with Kapp'n.

Yeah, seriously. What were they thinking, trying to give charm and meaning to a game that is otherwise an incredibly simplistic experience? They should know better.

EmCeeGramr said:

...do all japanese people get their idea of american culture from martha stewart living
They're still paying back the debt from America's interpretations of ninja. It's going to take a while.

Segata Sanshiro said:
They're still paying back the debt from America's interpretations of ninja. It's going to take a while.
hey that's not our fault, they made them look like magic super assassins instead of the filthy, amoral, and cowardly burglars they really were

we didn't make pilgrims look like magic wizards with swords, we just made them look like boring bumpkins instead of hateful and bitter zealots

heck 95% of us have no real relation to the pilgrim culture, so leave us out of it

JoshuaJSlone said:
I don't know that they talked about it at this E3, but it was one of the early examples they gave of the advantages of WiiConnect24 back in 2006.
I haven't specified the E3 because I was not sure to be exact. But thanks you can confirm they said so.

Kobayashi:
Around the town, there is what I suppose you could call undergrowth. There's green grass, but underneath it, there's earth. This time, we stuck the grass on so it feels a little like it's floating on top of the earth. When a player walks on the grass, it wears it away so you can see a little bit of the earth below.

Iwata:
So there is data for each square of earth in the grid in Animal Crossing, and the information about whether each of the squares has been stepped on is retained?

Kobayashi:
Exactly. So as the player walks around, the grass is gradually worn away. We made it so that it starts to grow back after a day has passed. But if, for instance, you were to go to Tom Nook's store every day...

Iwata:
I see! You would leave animal tracks.
[...]
Kyogoku:
So even if when you visit a friend in their town, you wouldn't always have to check the map. You could just follow the path from the checkpoint and make your way straight to their house.

WTF? That is awesome

bryehn

Couple questions about the city:

How do I get the invite to Redd's?

Also, how about Resetti's Surveillance area? I have no idea where that is or when to look. Maybe it's the manhole looking thing in front of the clothing store?

edit: ugh, 4 emotion limit, what a waste of 800 bells.

How does one send a message to the Wii Message Board of another Wii console? All I can currently do is send one to my own Wii Message Board. I know it's possible, my brother has sent me a message from his town.

Proven

TheGrayGhost said:
How does one send a message to the Wii Message Board of another Wii console? All I can currently do is send one to my own Wii Message Board. I know it's possible, my brother has sent me a message from his town.

When you go to send a message to your own message board, their should be an option to send to another person's Wii. You can only send once a day though, so I prefer to just use the Photo Channel to copy whatever pictures I have and then send them through the Wii message board.

I noticed that the auction house had some item for sale by a fellow GAFfer. Interesting thing is that he was not on my Animal Crossing friends list yet (but we ahve exchanged system codes in the past). So, either it bled through from another AC friend or the Wii checks to see who has the game?

EmCeeGramr said:
we didn't make pilgrims look like magic wizards with swords, we just made them look like boring bumpkins instead of hateful and bitter zealots

That would be awesome.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Count Dookkake said:
I noticed that the auction house had some item for sale by a fellow GAFfer. Interesting thing is that he was not on my Animal Crossing friends list yet (but we ahve exchanged system codes in the past). So, either it bled through from another AC friend or the Wii checks to see who has the game?

Wii probably checks to see who has the game, same thing happens in Mario Kart if you have Wii Code friends but aren't yet registered as MK pals.

zigg

Count Dookkake said:

I actually need to know this for my young daughter. Nintendo customer support told me it "will not randomly exchange data with your Wii Address Book". I would assume it chained there... but I don't know for sure.

zigg said:
I actually need to know this for my young daughter. Nintendo customer support told me it "will not randomly exchange data with your Wii Address Book". I would assume it chained there... but I don't know for sure.

Well, I'm not certain either way, yet.

There should be no problem, if only regular items can be sold (no patterns?), but then there is still the risk of rude names (ie Assface from Shithole is selling a lovely chair!).

Proven

It can tell when other people have the game. When I went to send a message at the post office to a friend's Wii Message board through the game, it had a little house symbol next to his name. However, we don't have friend codes swapped yet, so I don't know what may come from it. He doesn't have anything in his auction house on my console yet, if he has anything at all (haven't asked). I also haven't heard anything about any towns other than those that I have actually visited myself (filled in heart on friends list).

I have to wonder why the auction house is the only thing that uses Wii Friend codes, if that's true.

zigg

Proven said:
It can tell when other people have the game. When I went to send a message at the post office to a friend's Wii Message board through the game, it had a little house symbol next to his name.

You'd think it'd have Mario Kart-style invites then! Yeesh. Sometimes I wonder what really goes on inside Nintendo...

I hear you can kick out "misbehaving" animals from your town, by the way?

zigg said:
I hear you can kick out "misbehaving" animals from your town, by the way?

It's pretty funny how they do it.

You can file a complaint against other residents at Town Hall. I don't know if there is more to it after that.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Nogami:
In autumn in America, at harvest time, you are able to work at night when the moon is bright, so they have the Autumn Moon festival to celebrate this.

Kyogoku:
Apparently, there's a custom in America where people use wheat bundles as decorations during the moon-viewing season.
:lol :lol

I'm not even sure which holiday they are misinterpreting :lol

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Is this animal crossing just like the gamecube one, to where if my wife has a character: then if i create a character i have a house right next to hers in the same town?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The houses aren't next to eachother, no, but there are houses for each character, which is more like the GC game than the DS one.

grandjedi6 said:
:lol :lol

I'm not even sure which holiday they are misinterpreting :lol
Probably some combination of Halloween and Thanksgiving. Either way, it's ridiculous that the developers of a game like this didn't even bother to do real research.

LouieGeetoo said:
Probably some combination of Halloween and Thanksgiving. Either way, it's ridiculous that the developers of a game like this didn't even bother to do real research.

It's not really that bad. Pretty much all the fall shit is in someway derived from ancient harvest-related rituals.

markatisu

I finally got around to loading this game up, and you know having played through the GCN and DS versions I was expecting the worst

But damnit if this game has not sucked me back in! The move from the DS was simple (the Moving Van) and painless , in about 10min I was back like it was the GCN except with better controls (point and click)

Its like I know I am doing the same stuff (though the town seems larger and the graphics are cleaned up and brighter) but I don't care. All I want to do is talk to towns people, search my town and pay off that slum lord Nook :lol

Damn you Nintendo

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I am really looking forward to the Australian release on 4 December.

One question, if you ‘move’ your character from the DS can you rename or not?

markatisu

Do The Mario said:
I am really looking forward to the Australian release on 4 December.

One question, if you ‘move’ your character from the DS can you rename or not?

No, you opt which characters will make the move (or select which one you are I guess)

Xizer

Banned
I just thought I should post these here. This is all the wacky shit that's been going down in my town the past few days.

hacks670.jpg

heroes487.jpg

zigg said:
Man, way to suck all the fun out of a game that didn't have enough to begin with :/

While I disagree with the idea that Animal Crossing is no fun I have to say that, yeah, hacking does really take all the fun out of it...

I think I said this in the Animal Crossing Photo thread, but it's things like that that make me glad that Nintendo uses Friend Codes...

zigg

El Pescado said:
While I disagree with the idea that Animal Crossing is no fun I have to say that, yeah, hacking does really take all the fun out of it...

I didn't say "no fun". I meant "not enough". As someone who's been through the other two (and did get CF, mainly to play with family, friends, and my daughter), it is rather lacking in the compelling new stuff department.

dkeane

Woooo mine just came in from amazon. I'll be adding people in the online thread tonight I hope. Can't wait to do some relaxin'

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah, I think from now on it would be better for everyone if shots of blatant hacking weren't posted here.

Feel free to go to town in the photo thread though. :p

Proven

They're encoded as .jpg. You don't need anything extra other than to just pop the SD card into your computer, copy over the jpg images, and put them on some hosting site.

Top Bottom