• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Britney Spears CIRCUS thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau ®

So "3" came out today on iTunes and its already #1. Didnt know what to expect since its a single off a GH record (and those tend to not be noticed too much ala Celebration by Madonna).

She also finished shooting the music video today. Directed by Diane Martel, looking at her work its a bit... mixed? But you should expect a good deal of choreography according to Brit's twitter for those who have been complaining Circus Britney doesnt dance much.

YAY 10 PAGES!

So awesome to see 3 do so well out of the gate. I bought it overnight, as soon as it hit the store.

Also, it seems to be doing REALLY well in radio right away too. I've seen some folks online speculating about chart points for the Hot 100, estimating that it'll be a tight race to #1 but that it's certainly possible (though #2 or #3 is more likely, which is still amazing, especially out of the gate).

It's already following the same skyrocketing path that Gimme More, Womanizer, and Circus each recently took to become massive hit singles. Hopefully it'll top the charts like Womanizer did, because great songs deserve great success. Well done Britney and Max.

BDF ain't slowing down 'til we reach 1000 pages. Then we aim for a million.

Mau ®

She's #1 at KISS FM from both NY and LA stations. (biggest stations for her format)

rlgj7c.gif

I actually just posted this because I wanted a reason to use that GIF :lol

BowieZ

Banned
Toy Soldier said:
Hopefully it'll top the charts like Womanizer did, because great songs deserve great success. Well done Britney and Max.
Are you serious? As a huge pop/Britney/Max Martin fan, I must say that this is one of the worst songs I've ever heard.

The middle 8 section (well, middle 17) is bearable... but the rest makes my ears bleed... and I've basically never leveled that insult at a song before.

Exciting to see it doing so well, ITZ. Sales are soaring too...it's gearing up for a serious run at #1 in next week's chart.

BowieZ said:
Are you serious? As a huge pop/Britney/Max Martin fan, I must say that this is one of the worst songs I've ever heard.

Definitely serious. :D As I mentioned earlier, my only qualm is the vocals being too camouflaged within the mix during the chorus, which is an unfortunate decision...but beyond that, I love it.

The lyrics are vintage Max, spicy and tongue-in-cheek. The chord choices in each section hit the spot, it's got a strong structure. As you said, the middle-8 steals the show, but I love the verses and bridge equally in that department.

I can see Max's production being a bit more polarizing, though. Personally, I'm raising the flag for Team Love on this one - it's fantastic. It initially surprised me, but listening to the 3 instrumental instantly reminded me of a modern, more-urban take on Max's Eurodance roots, particularly his songs for E-Type. Some examples that came to mind were Angels Crying (1998), True Believer (2007), Life (2001), Paradise (2004), Here I Go Again (1998), and so on. Makes sense as this sound has come back into fashion, but it's cool to hear this stuff brought back to his AAA projects.

I'm kinda surprised to see a fellow fan of this stuff receive it so poorly, especially as 3 has generally received one of the more universally-positive fan responses I've seen in a long time. But it's not flawless so I can see why it would turn some folks off as it did you.

Crumpet Trumpet said:
This song is crazy! I can barely understand what she's saying. All I know is that there's a threesome involved, obviously. :lol

:lol I do wish it were a bit clearer, but yeah, it's an intense song.

Fucking great news! From day one 3 sounded like another smash signature single, so I'm glad it's being rewarded as such.

So 3 marks chart-topper #3, after Baby One More Time and Womanizer...and as the Billboard article mentioned, debuting atop the chart is very rare. Quite a showing, great to see. Congratulations to Queen B and Max.

Mau ®

And congrats to us fans of course!

I like the song but I have yet to love it. It was the same with Womanizer but once the video came out it became one of my favorite britney tracks :D

so hurry up with that video Jive...kthxbye

inthezone said:
And congrats to us fans of course!

No doubt. We're a devoted bunch, Britney fans...and for good reason. It's always great to see those reasons reinforced by deserved success, praise and acceptance outside of our own Britney-fan sphere. It's a fun time.

I like the song but I have yet to love it. It was the same with Womanizer but once the video came out it became one of my favorite britney tracks :D

so hurry up with that video Jive...kthxbye

I'm kinda surprised you aren't head over heels for it yet! One of the first things I thought of while listening to it was that I figured you'd get a big kick out of it.

Hopefully the video will do its job. A good video totally cements a spot for a song in the Britney legacy, this should be no different. Though I hate to say that, now the pressure is on. :lol I'd like to assume they've planned a AAA video treatment for this, like Circus and Womanizer had.

:lol I agree, such an awesome punchline to that whole section.

BTW, they just posted the first shot from the 3 video on Britney's site:

3video.jpg

So far, pretty neat.

Mau ®

Toy Soldier said:
:lol I agree, such an awesome punchline to that whole section.

BTW, they just posted the first shot from the 3 video on Britney's site:

3video.jpg

So far, pretty neat.

Black and White? Interesting. Hopefully its not too Beyawnce-like (with her doing those minimalistic B&W videos from that shitty sasha disc). I like either way! Choreography yes!

I'm kinda surprised you aren't head over heels for it yet! One of the first things I thought of while listening to it was that I figured you'd get a big kick out of it.

Well its always that thing with expectations. Although this time I was a bit cautious I didnt quite like If You Seek Amy after it was all said and done. There's is a similarity but thats because its the only song in Brit's catalogue it has any resemblance (and mmm papi of course, much love for that).

I feel like the chorus doesnt have enough kick the first few times. Its until the last chorus-repeat before the bridge that they add another layer of pulsing beats that it feels right. And it feels a bit rushed towards the end.

But make no mistake, I like it enough. I just need that video now!

inthezone said:
Well its always that thing with expectations. Although this time I was a bit cautious I didnt quite like If You Seek Amy after it was all said and done.

True, that's the main reason I was cautious from the moment 3 was confirmed to be a Max song. IUSA is one of the few songs on Blackout or Circus that, while I like it, proved to be below-par compared to the other singles.

But I'm glad they turned it around. I expect IUSA to be one of those solid Britney singles that, while good, won't maintain much of a legacy (like Overprotected, Lucky, Outrageous, etc). I can see 3 being a live staple for many tours ahead.

I feel like the chorus doesnt have enough kick the first few times. Its until the last chorus-repeat before the bridge that they add another layer of pulsing beats that it feels right.

I see what you mean there. Personally I kinda like that, though. It makes the pre-chorus that much more impactful...plus it builds that anticipation for when the chorus really kicks into some steam later on. That filled-out version of the chorus rocks, I agree there.

But make no mistake, I like it enough. I just need that video now!

I'm getting excited for it, did you see the handful of set pictures from JustJared? Nothing concrete, she's wearing a very sexy black sheer getup, very hot. Then in the others she's got some white shirt or onesie on. Again, so far so good, we'll see how it turns out.

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2009/10/14/britney-spears-3-music-video-preview/

Estival said:
What happened to Unusual You becoming a single?

It ended up just being fan conjecture, seems it was never meant to happen.

The plan was probably always to finish the Circus era by giving Radar its inevitable opportunity to shine, they showed a lot of confidence in it from the jump (it was even on Blackout's cover sticker, IIRC).

I wouldn't mind Shattered Glass getting a Radar-esque revival on her next album. :D

Mau ®

Estival said:
What happened to Unusual You becoming a single?

Jive sent out a promo single of unusual you with some remixes of it to radio but it never became more than that. Seems like its destined to become a cult britney song, to join the ranks of Breathe on Me, Get Naked and Toy Soldier.

So yeah about that video... RELEASE IT ALREADY FFS.

Did you see that little X17 talk with Sam Lutfi? Creep City, I worry for post-conservatorship Britney.

Hopefully she'll know well enough to stay away from Eugene Landy II once she's back in the reigns.

Mau ®

Toy Soldier said:
Did you see that little X17 talk with Sam Lutfi? Creep City, I worry for post-conservatorship Britney.

Hopefully she'll know well enough to stay away from Eugene Landy II once she's back in the reigns.

No... I did saw the news at BreatheHeavy. I DONT EVEN KNOW WHY I WENT THERE. Hate that site and its webmaster. Not going back there again ever. Hold me to it plz ha!

First pic of the actual video. Premiering in, appropriately, 3 days

BS-3-Still1-thumb-720x486-thumb-500x337.jpg

Mau ®

BS-3-Still3-thumb-500x337.jpg

Second pic release. One more will be released today! Love it. I think this video will be a very different one from the ones we're used to from her. Simplicity seems to be the running theme from all pics Ive seen.

She looks downright gorgeous there. I love how they'll be releasing snippets 'til the video is launched.

Here's the third one, and again seems to show the video's simplicity. I can't wait.

3video3.jpg

inthezone said:
No... I did saw the news at BreatheHeavy. I DONT EVEN KNOW WHY I WENT THERE. Hate that site and its webmaster. Not going back there again ever. Hold me to it plz ha!

Agreed. This is why I do all of my Britney news by lurking on other smaller boards, and of course our GAF BDF. BreatheHeavy is still the most active of the sites, but the guy's agenda is nothing short of deplorable and saddening. It's a shame many fans still view it as the "fansite of record."

There's no need to ever go back. Let's use GAF as a Britney news aggregate: if something important enough comes up, one of us will see it somewhere, share it here, and boom - BreatheHeavy cut out of the equation altogether.

Estival

What happened with BreatheHeavy to make you guys hate it? Not that I go to it or anything.

And thanks for the information on Unusual You, too. That's kind of disappointing... I was really hoping it'd be a single. Oh well, I'll take 3 in its place.

Estival said:
What happened with BreatheHeavy to make you guys hate it? Not that I go to it or anything.

Jordan, the webmaster of BreatheHeavy, was in cahoots with Sam Lutfi, the Svengali figure in Britney's life during that drawn-out public meltdown a couple of years ago. Sam was the guy who drugged her, manipulated her state of mind (small things, like hiding her dogs then waiting 'til this mentally unwell woman hit rock bottom in sadness to "find" them as her knight in greasy armor), kept her out of contact from her family...basically pulled the strings for a very sick woman who needed help.

Well, Sam promised Jordan a gig as an assistant and webmaster. I think Sam even let Jordan meet her once. So Jordan transformed his fansite of news articles and picture posts into a rabid attack dog working to deride anyone other than Sam (and the other associated hangers-on in Britney's ilfe at the time)...only he did it under the guise of being fair-minded.

He still does it to this day. It's a crusade against her health, against her well-being, against her growth and lifelong recovery...all for the sake of boosting Sam Lutfi's status, and just maybe getting his own foot back in the door. Jordan ran/runs the most popular Britney Spears site on the web, so his word has clout...that was once earned, now it's just to degrade those who genuinely help Britney recover.

Don't confuse the long post for us taking typical web-drama too seriously, but it just so happens that this web-drama has very real relevance in the life of Britney Spears...which is something any fan of hers might care about, naturally.

Mau ®

Toy Soldier said:
Jordan, the webmaster of BreatheHeavy, was in cahoots with Sam Lutfi, the Svengali figure in Britney's life during that drawn-out public meltdown a couple of years ago. Sam was the guy who drugged her, manipulated her state of mind (small things, like hiding her dogs then waiting 'til this mentally unwell woman hit rock bottom in sadness to "find" them as her knight in greasy armor), kept her out of contact from her family...basically pulled the strings for a very sick woman who needed help.

Well, Sam promised Jordan a gig as an assistant and webmaster. I think Sam even let Jordan meet her once. So Jordan transformed his fansite of news articles and picture posts into a rabid attack dog working to deride anyone other than Sam (and the other associated hangers-on in Britney's ilfe at the time)...only he did it under the guise of being fair-minded.

He still does it to this day. It's a crusade against her health, against her well-being, against her growth and lifelong recovery...all for the sake of boosting Sam Lutfi's status, and just maybe getting his own foot back in the door. Jordan ran/runs the most popular Britney Spears site on the web, so his word has clout...that was once earned, now it's just to degrade those who genuinely help Britney recover.

Don't confuse the long post for us taking typical web-drama too seriously, but it just so happens that this web-drama has very real relevance in the life of Britney Spears...which is something any fan of hers might care about, naturally.

THIS. Couldnt have said it better.

The breatheheavy.com thing got so bad he was going to get sued by Jamie Spears himself. Britney's team are very much aware of breatheheavy.

Jordan Miller will see a batch of 30 photos of britney, 29 she's smiling or normal and if on one does she even hint at being stressed or sad he will make it into a story about how Britney is in a really bad state because of the conservatorship.

Its just disgusting how we could all see how dangerous Brit's life got in late 2007/early 2008 (dangerous enough for there to be a website dedicated to guessing britney's death date) and now she's made an amazing recovery, that IMO is nothing short of miraculous and instead of celebrating it this guy has made it his agenda from day one to undermine the conservatorship, britney's team and sometimes even britney herself.

This is not simply a comeback because she's back, because lets be honest she still had 2 hits during the blackout era. Its a comeback because 2 years ago everything thats happening now was impossible. Another album? I said in a thread how I expected Blackout to be her last album alive. A tour? Only in the wildest of dreams. And for someone to try to discredit that while posing as a fan is disgusting IMO.

Video is out.

I knew it would suck. It has all the stupid Britney "I'm so sexy" antics in there. Pulling up her hair, quick left to right movements of her head, singing as if every syllable requires you to put your tongue out of your mouth, keeping her hands rights next to her eyes, boring dancing, ... It's the same thing with Madonna and her retarded hip-thrusting-while-kneeling routine. I don't understand video directors sometimes. I'm convinced even I could do a better job at making a video more pleasing given the budget. :lol At least the dance routine would be fresh and energetic. The video for the song Circus was up to standard. All the other videos from her Blackout and Circus album are atrocious, and while I'm sure she's in great shape (otherwise you couldn't possibly that much intensive touring), the dance routines and movements still feel so plump, like her Gimme more performance on the VMA's.

Also, I completely agree with inthezone on the song 3 itself. I really love the verses and the bridge. That's how the whole song should've sounded like. The chorus is bleh. It sounds loud and distortion-like or something. I can't really explain it. Inthezone said it was messy, I guess that's the best way to describe it. I also agree with him on the fact that the chorus just builds up to slow. Every time it is played, an element is added. It's a nice idea, and normally this is used to make sure the final part of the song really explodes. In 3 however, it causes the opposite; it makes the first 2/3s of the songs chorus boring and incomplete. And then suddenly the song ends. They should've made some sort of outro.

As a whole I like the song though. But it could've been more.

Mau ®

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-kUu1Z1hx4

Check it out before they take it lol.

Yeah not very good. The only saving factor again is that she looks hot, especially in the white thingie she wears. But she really doesnt look into it. Its OK.

For all the intensity they build up at the end of the song, the video doesnt really do it. And for a song about getting double-teamed it sure as hell featured very little of THAT!

edit: did they seriously removed "sin"?? lol

inthezone said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-kUu1Z1hx4

Check it out before they take it lol.

Yeah not very good. The only saving factor again is that she looks hot, especially in the white thingie she wears. But she really doesnt look into it. Its OK.

For all the intensity they build up at the end of the song, the video doesnt really do it. And for a song about getting double-teamed it sure as hell featured very little of THAT!

edit: did they seriously removed "sin"?? lol
Living in nis is the new thing.
zj8492.gif

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Still looking good as hell.

The video reminds me of something that we might have seen ni the first leg of The Circus tour: same brand of choreography (mostly posing and prancing, looking hot), same layout with the dancers, etc. The physical intensity isn't at all up to par with what we saw in the second US leg though, strangely enough.

She looks incredible, I love the fact that the simple backdrops showcase how beautiful she is. Take that concept and up the energy a few notches and we'd have a new standard - it could have been THAT good of a video. As is, it's pretty to look at, but feels like there could have been more there.

I'm never one to complain about couldas-and-shouldas, so judging the video for what it is, it's OK. It's got its memorable moments. The posing is fine, she looks great...and if the goal of this video was for Britney to be crazy-hot for 3 and a half minutes, job well done. It's certainly not up to Circus or Womanizer par, but its strong moments vault it ahead of pretty much every other Britney video of the past couple of years. But I'm with you guys in having expected something lively out of a big Eurodance song, especially with Britney involved.

Souldriver said:
Every time it is played, an element is added. It's a nice idea, and normally this is used to make sure the final part of the song really explodes. In 3 however, it causes the opposite; it makes the first 2/3s of the songs chorus boring and incomplete

I can see how the song's climax happening so close to the song's end might make the rest pale in comparison, but I dunno...I still think the build-up works in 3. The minimal first two choruses initially act as a needed slow-down period, then at the end the bass kicks in and they act as the song's climax. I dig it a lot.

It's not just the same energy blasting throughout, and I like that. The only thing I don't like about the chorus is how the vocals were handled in the mix: not as audible or center-stage as they should've been. That more than ANYTHING else is what makes the chorus sound a bit weird.

I'm sure she's in great shape (otherwise you couldn't possibly that much intensive touring), the dance routines and movements still feel so plump, like her Gimme more performance on the VMA's.

It's gotta be a creative choice by the director/choreographer. As I said earlier, she was doing more physically intensive stuff on a nightly basis during the tour, effortlessly. So somebody involved didn't want that, it seems...they wanted the posing, the strutting, sexing up the camera. That was the vision, it seems. She did that, and did it well...but yeah, it LOOKS like it could have had a more complete routine in there somewhere. I'd have treated it like a new tour routine, perhaps something they could take to Australia.

alternade

Toy Soldier said:
It's gotta be a creative choice by the director/choreographer. As I said earlier, she was doing more physically intensive stuff on a nightly basis during the tour, effortlessly. So somebody involved didn't want that, it seems...they wanted the posing, the strutting, sexing up the camera. That was the vision, it seems. She did that, and did it well...but yeah, it LOOKS like it could have had a more complete routine in there somewhere. I'd have treated it like a new tour routine, perhaps something they could take to Australia.

It looked dead and she looked bored. There was no sexy anything about that video. Go watch the new shakira video if yo want to see dancing and sex.

alternade said:
It looked dead and she looked bored. There was no sexy anything about that video. Go watch the new shakira video if yo want to see dancing and sex.

She Wolf is one of the hottest music videos ever, no argument there.

I don't think 3 failed at being sexy, though. She Wolf was better, but She Wolf beats most pop videos, period.

EDIT: Shit, you're talking about Did It Again, and yeah: I agree there too. That video is crazy.

u_neek said:
Wes said:

Word. She's got it and I'm convinced she's never gonna lose it.

BowieZ

Banned
Once this tour is over, [warning: armchair psychiatry] she needs to go away for a good year or two and enjoy her life with Jason Trawick, then come back with a brand new sound with hot, fresh, young, experimental producers, and of course, Danja :D

The Womanizer video was some kinda crazy anomaly: she's looked dead in the eyes for the past 3 years and she needs to defeat her bipolar depression and get off the meds, and embrace her life as her own woman again. [/ap]

Mau ®

BowieZ said:
Once this tour is over, [warning: armchair psychiatry] she needs to go away for a good year or two and enjoy her life with Jason Trawick, then come back with a brand new sound with hot, fresh, young, experimental producers, and of course, Danja :D

The Womanizer video was some kinda crazy anomaly: she's looked dead in the eyes for the past 3 years and she needs to defeat her bipolar depression and get off the meds, and embrace her life as her own woman again. [/ap]

the dead eyed gaze has been gone for a year now, thankfully.

But I agree. Take a year break (not 4 years tho lol) and get your A&R people to really scout for fresh talent, like they did with In the Zone and Blackout.

Mau ®

The Circus Tour kicked off in Australia. Reactions on twitter have been very favorable.

But apparently the Aussie government is now trying to push a legislation that requires tickets to specify that the performer will mime, all thanks to Britney :lol

Ringleader jacket is back. No 3 or TOMH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNci_EfJJVU

I'm happy to hear that the Aussie shows are going well, despite the ridiculous 'controversy.'

The standard edition of The Singles Collection came out today, I picked it up this morning at like 6AM. :lol

It's something to hold me over 'til the REAL singles collection in a couple of weeks.

:lol Hilarious.

Awesome to hear Danja is on board again. After Blackout, we were all hoping he'd become a regular Britney contributor, so I'm glad that's happening.

I'm also really hoping Dr. Luke and Max are working up some new songs for Britney, too. Can't forget B&A.

(So I'm basically asking for Circus II, it seems. :lol)

People are posting the first shots of the TSC box set. This is gonna be fun to crack open.

http://img5.imagebanana.com/view/czd7kc2e/IMG_0024.JPG

inthezone said:
yea no thanks to a Circus 2.0 it was great but time to move on. Thats how I feel anyway.

I'm not saying I want it to sound identical, but I do love their being a nice mix of collaborators who have great track records with Britney.

Then again, if they stuck to that route, much of Blackout would have never been possible. So it's a win-win either way, I guess.

I do definitely want more Dr. Luke, though. Shattered Glass and Circus were fucking great songs with killer production. He bothers to put care into Britney's voice being the most prominent part of the mix and I appreciate that.

Damn, dude is lucky it didn't happen higher up. Cool that he just hopped right back on the ring.

Guetta isn't a guy I'm particularly excited about, but May sounds great!

I figured there'd be a bit more of a lapse between the tour and the next album, but May sounds feasible considering they've already done some work.

The box set was released today, it's fantastic. I'll have to lay the discs out and take a picture later.

We've been through all of the details already (the b-sides they chose for each single, mainly), but I'll just confirm that it's an awesome collector's piece. The box is heavy and sturdy.

The DVD is pretty much barebones, no GHMP-esque bonus features that I know of, just a collection of her videos. Everything is included except for Boys (Austin Powers licensing being the issue) and 3 (didn't make the deadline, I suppose).

So yeah, awesome set, definitely recommended as an awesome document of Britney's career. The DVD is no replacement for My Prerogative, but it's cool to have the newer videos on DVD.

Mau ®

Darkchild (producer of Gaga's Telephone, orginally a britney song) is on board for the 2010 album. They start in January. New year,New Britney. I like that.

This should be one of the last posts for this thread, britney will wrap the tour in a few days. Great year for Britney, very trouble-free; hopefully it will stay that way.

Yeah, I pray things keep going well for her. Both her career and her well-being. Hopefully she handles post-tour life well.

2009 was quite a year. The Circus tour was a resounding success, and the two shows I saw will always be cherished memories of mine. Great singles, too. Keep it up, Queen B!

Darkchild is churning out better stuff than he was a few years back (he was honestly one of my least favorite major pop producers of the decade), so yeah, I'm excited too.

I wonder how many of these collaborations will make the cut, a lot of names are being attached to this one. It's great to see.

Mau ®

The Circus Tour is OVA!

rtbs111109a_012__oPt.jpg

Congrats Brit. Its her first tour to be completed successfully without incident (DWAD ended abruptly in Mexico City and Onyx Hotel got axed after her knee injury)

She's appearing on the cover of Elle Mag. Here's a preview. She looks fucking gorgeous <3

xeidk.jpg

1gocbn.jpg

God, wow, she does look incredible there. I look forward to seeing this shoot.

It's sad to see the Circus tour come to an end, but as you said, how awesome is it that this thing went on virtually without a hitch? There were some technical kinks along the way (which is to be expected in a show of this scale), but it's remarkable nonetheless.

It was amazing, and as I said the other day, those two concerts are memories I'll treasure 'til the day I die. I can't wait to catch her on tour again. I wish the center-stage would become a staple of all of her tours, it was such a treat for everyone at the show to be able to be so close to her even in such big venues...but that may just be part of what made the Circus tour so memorable, something that won't be repeated.

As you said, congratulations to Britney and everyone involved in the show (and the album). I'm so thankful for what a fun year it was for Britney fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom