• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Bully: Scholarship Edition (360/Wii) Thread

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Reilly said:
Not to sound troll-like, but how many last-gen ports are on the Wii?

Not counting PC ports of point-n-click games you never heard of
Bully: Scholarship Edition (PS2 2006)
Call of Duty 3 (PS2 2006) <-- does this count? they came out at the same time.
Dave Mirra BMX Challenge (PSP 2006)
Destroy All Humans! Big Willy Unleashed (PSP 2008)
The Godfather: Blackhand Edition (PS2 2006)
Guilty Gear XX &#923;Core (PS2 2002)
The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return (Dreamcast 1998)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GC 2006)
Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 (PSP 2007)
Metal Slug Anthology (PSP 2006)
Need for Speed: Carbon (GC 2006)
Okami (PS2 2006)
Prince of Persia: Rival Swords (PS2 2005)
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (GC 2005)
Resident Evil Zero (GC 2002)
Rygar: The Battle of Argus (PS2 2002)
Scarface: The World Is Yours (PS2 2006)
Sega Bass Fishing (Dreamcast 1999)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent (PS2 2006)

Answer? Western devs FUCKING HATE THE Wii!

I'll be picking up the 360 version of this badboy today, I can't wait! Finally something to break my Culdcept Saga addiction.

slewis7 said:
I would like to see more reviews first on the 360 version. When will they start showing up?
Just get it man. I played the PS2 version last gen and it was really freaking good. It was arguably Rockstar's best game to date. It also has an awesome story with one of gaming's all time greatest villains. The 360 version is adding a lot of cool content that will make it even better.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Wonder why they dropped Canis Canem Edit as the title in the UK, guess they think they can get away with Bully now.

Oni Jazar said:
You've just depressed me. I'm waiting for Gamefly to ship it over. I love GTA & the Warriors and was hoping for some more R* magic.

Don't worry, if you liked GTA and the Warriors you won't be disappointed.

Most people I know who have played Bully found it to be one of the better stories they have seen in a videogame, and I tend to agree. I was afraid it was going to be just a bunch of immature high school shenannigans but it really turned out to be a good-spirited and intelligent story with some really likeable characters. And the game's main villain? A Kefkaesque madman who is on a short list of all-time great gaming villains. The game is essentially a much more refined version of GTA that eschews a lot of that series' filler and really is about the perfect length (about 15 hours or so IIRC). The game has an epic (if somewhat easy) final boss battle and a satisfying ending.

The combat is definitely inspired by the Warriors but I actually wasn't overly thrilled with the Warriors mostly because I found the controls somewhat clunky. While the combat is not nearly as deep as the Warriors I found it had a smoother and more satisfying feel overall than it's predecessor.

In short, anyone who considers themselves a connoisseur of storytelling in games NEEDS to play Bully, and the 360 version sounds like the best version yet.

monkspider said:
Don't worry, if you liked GTA and the Warriors you won't be disappointed.

Most people I know who have played Bully found it to be one of the better stories they have seen in a videogame, and I tend to agree. I was afraid it was going to be just a bunch of immature high school shenannigans but it really turned out to be a good-spirited and intelligent story with some really likeable characters. And the game's main villain? A Kefkaesque madman who is on a short list of all-time great gaming villains. The game is essentially a much more refined version of GTA that eschews a lot of that series' filler and really is about the perfect length (about 15 hours or so IIRC). The game has an epic (if somewhat easy) final boss battle and a satisfying ending.

The combat is definitely inspired the Warriors but I actually wasn't overly thrilled with the Warriors mostly because I found the controls somewhat clunky. While the combat is not nearly as deep as the Warriors I found it had a smoother and more satisfying feel overall than it's predecessor.

In short, anyone who considers themselves a connoisseur of storytelling in games NEEDS to play Bully, and the 360 version sounds like the best version yet.

I thought that said "Kafkaesque"...

:(

BenjaminBirdie said:
I thought that said "Kafkaesque"...

:(

Ha ha, yes, that was intentional. :-D

The villain really did remind of Kefka in that they are both kind of atypical villains that don't look very intimidating but through a combination of charisma and madness really earn your respect.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I only played a bit of the PS2 version, but I liked it quite a bit...though once the game opened up into the docks and city, I kinda felt it started losing focus too much. I suppose I got too attached to all the school pranks and life within that the real world sorta stole away.

But I will probably pick this up and see it through beyond Chapter 2 this time.

Mr Spliff

Costanza said:
You get a chance to play some more?
Okay, played most of the night. I thought it started a little slow and if I didn't believe in Rockstar's rep, I may not have given it a chance. I say this because the load times are disappointing and the framerate is kinda rocky. It doesn't affect gameplay but it certainly isn't as smooth as you'd like it to be or expect from a PS2 port. Regardless, I started getting sucked in. The narrative is good, I really like the fighting mechanic and they nailed the context. When I'm in missions instead of being in class, I got that same feeling when I used to cut class for real! However, I think the camera is a little crappy, I wish the camera was pulled back just a little bit more for comfort but I'll probably get used to it anyhow. I do not regret this purchase and I'm having fun with it so money well spent! Will have more info to share when I play tonight.

Brandon F

The loading was unbearable on PS2. HDLoader helped TREMENDOUSLY, but I was hoping for a huge upgrade on 360.

I just picked up the 360 version and played for a bit. Definite v-sync issues, and framerate hiccups. Loading times are also not as improved as I had hoped. Also there is some weird music/sound dropout that happens for a split second sometimes as its streaming in new data. Still fun, but would have preferred a true "budget" price of $40 at least.

Brandon F

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I just picked up the 360 version and played for a bit. Definite v-sync issues, and framerate hiccups. Loading times are also not as improved as I had hoped. Also there is some weird music/sound dropout that happens for a split second sometimes as its streaming in new data. Still fun, but would have preferred a true "budget" price of $40 at least.

Shite.

I would be interested in hearing any impressions of the Wii version, especially on the controls and how fun it is to play with them.

I played this on PS2 when it came out. I got really hooked on it, awesome game. The story's great, and its fun to just get into random fights and level up.

Just might buy it again on 360; never did finish it.

Whoompthereitis said:
I played this on PS2 when it came out. I got really hooked on it, awesome game. The story's great, and its fun to just get into random fights and level up.

Just might buy it again on 360; never did finish it.

Same here. Never got to finish the game. I think I'll be picking this bad boy up.

Arde5643

If anyone has any impressions of the Wii version, let us know.

We'd like to know if the Wii version actually fixes some of the framerate that apparently is still not fixed in the 360 version. :(

I need to know which version to buy it, damnit!!

Right now the framerate is the only thing that hinges either Wii or 360 for me.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
PantherLotus said:
Excellent comparison video between the Wii and 360 versions. Some PS2 screens thrown in for base comparison as well.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/31474.html

After seeing it, are you pleasantly surprised at how decent the Wii version looks, or disappointed at how little improvement the 360 version has?
I'm surprised the 360 version even looks that good! Like I said before, it's such a shame they didn't sort the framerate out. I was hoping for 60fps.

It's also amazing to see how much better the Wii version looks when compared to the PS2 ver!

Must say, I do prefer the 'grittiness' of the Wii and PS2 versions. The slight fog/haze when outside and stuff. 360 version looks a tad too clean.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, put a few hours into the 360 version.

I got about halfway through Bully on the PS2, and really liked it. This is basically Bully at 720p with better framerate. There are hiccups here and there, but it's much, much better... and makes the experience a lot more enjoyable. Some enhanced stuff as well, such as realtime light sources coming through the windows that move depending on the time of day, better textures, and some screen effects in certain areas. They did a better job on the surround sound as well, and sounds are much more localized. Also, the loadtimes are about twice as fast as the PS2 version.

The only "added" things I've seen so far are the Music and Biology classes. Music is pulling left and right triggers in time with some music playing, which is obviously going to be a lot more fun on the Wii with waggle... and Biology has you drawing a lot of patterns and whatnot with the analog stick. Both of these games seem to have had waggle/pointing on the Wii in mind.

Overall, I'm really enjoying it though. It's a fantastic game, and I'm really happy to have an updated version of it. I would have rather paid $40 for it, but like I said, I really liked Bully.

Kingpen

FlyinJ said:

Overall, I'm really enjoying it though. It's a fantastic game, and I'm really happy to have an updated version of it. I would have rather paid $40 for it, but like I said, I really liked Bully.

Well that bodes well for me to pick it up with the $10 gift card that I am getting from Smash Bros on Sunday at Circuit city...

Costanza

Banned
FlyinJ said:

I got about halfway through Bully on the PS2, and really liked it. This is basically Bully at 720p with better framerate. There are hiccups here and there, but it's much, much better... and makes the experience a lot more enjoyable. Some enhanced stuff as well, such as realtime light sources coming through the windows that move depending on the time of day, better textures, and some screen effects in certain areas. They did a better job on the surround sound as well, and sounds are much more localized. Also, the loadtimes are about twice as fast as the PS2 version.

The only "added" things I've seen so far are the Music and Biology classes. Music is pulling left and right triggers in time with some music playing, which is obviously going to be a lot more fun on the Wii with waggle... and Biology has you drawing a lot of patterns and whatnot with the analog stick. Both of these games seem to have had waggle/pointing on the Wii in mind.

Yeah, I'm liking it quite a bit too. The graphics are much better than I was expecting as well.

VAIL

Playing the Wii version, fun game, very good dialog and music so far. The guy that is the "friend" is perfect.

It's how I would imagine a School Ties video game would have turned out.

youta

PantherLotus said:
After seeing it, are you pleasantly surprised at how decent the Wii version looks, or disappointed at how little improvement the 360 version has?
I was surprised not to see any shadows on the 360 version... odd...

Bizzyb

Banned
I'll be getting the Wii version sometime after the price drops. Spent my last gift card on Frontlines Fuel of War (awesome game btw)

Reilly

Costanza said:
FUCK FUCK FUCK. It froze again.
2k21ir.jpg

Costanza

Banned
Reilly said:
Wouldn't there be more than just freezing if it was about to die? Like weird graphical glitches and shit...? I'm starting to think it might actually be the game this time.

Bildi

I think I'd be tempted to pick the Wii version of this (if I were getting the game). The 360 version really looks like total ass for a 360 game.

homez99

Yeah I think all these reports of it running dodgy has swayed me to rent it for my Wii later on, and purchase Army of Two or Frontlines: Fuel of War this week for my 360 to keep me going until Vegas 2 and the full force gale of GTAIV.

Froze on me again, so I'm pretty sure your 360 isn't dying. Would have been nice for reviewers to mention that it freezes every 10 minutes.

Top Bottom