• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Bully: Scholarship Edition (360/Wii) Thread

Arde5643

Hopefully it's just your current disc, Costanza - have you tried replacing it with another disc and see if you still have the same problem?

C'mon, Wii owners, someone buy it and let us know which version to buy. :D

Anyone else's 360 version freezing up (other than Costanza)? Hopefully there's some kind of fix for this as it wasn't present in any review that I read.

Costanza

Banned
MaizeRage25 said:
Froze on me again, so I'm pretty sure your 360 isn't dying. Would have been nice for reviewers to mention that it freezes every 10 minutes.
oh shit.... If it's widespread I can't fucking believe Rockstar would let it pass through QA like that.

anyone else have freezes?

edit: beaten.. and I'll probably go exchange it tomorrow.

Costanza said:
oh shit.... If it's widespread I can't fucking believe Rockstar would let it pass through QA like that.

anyone else have freezes?

edit: beaten

I know, I'm really surprised right now. Seems like it's a problem with the game. Or we're both fucked.

EDIT: Anyone know Best Buy's policy on game returns/exchanges??

EDIT 2: Nevermind, found it. No refund.

Costanza

Banned
MaizeRage25 said:
I know, I'm really surprised right now. Seems like it's a problem with the game. Or we're both fucked.

EDIT: Anyone know Best Buy's policy on game returns/exchanges??
I got mine there too. They should exchange it.. won't return it though.

If one more person says they have freezing I think it deserves a thread on it's own. It's absolutely pathetic that Rockstar was so lazy with the port.

Costanza said:
I got mine there too. They should exchange it.. won't return it though.

If one more person says they have freezing I think it deserves a thread on it's own. It's absolutely pathetic that Rockstar was so lazy with the port.

I'm with you, I'm watching this thread like a hawk. I'm going to wait until Friday, and then make my decision. I'll try playing it again tomorrow and see what happens. I had to dig my receipt out of the goddamn trash. :lol

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Mine hasn't frozen on me.... but I do get some really odd "stutters" that will last like 1-2 seconds. The game just seems to stop, then it starts running fine again. It seems to happen when the music tracks change.

One time I was getting .5 second stutters every 2 seconds. That lasted about a minute.

Seems like it's really buggy.

Thank god I didn't waste my money on this game (used a gift card). I wonder why review copies didn't have this problem. I'm holding out hope theres some kind of fix for it, sort of like the cache issue with Bioshock.

Will Best Buy let you exchange it for a different game????

Costanza

Banned
MaizeRage25 said:
Thank god I didn't waste my money on this game (used a gift card). I wonder why review copies didn't have this problem. I'm holding out hope theres some kind of fix for it, sort of like the cache issue with Bioshock.

Will Best Buy let you exchange it for a different game????
Nope.

Costanza

Banned
MaizeRage25 said:
Well, hell, you successfully derailed this thread. Not that it was much to begin with though...
heh, oh well.

I actually haven't had any freezes in the last 20-30 minutes or so.. just been driving around the town on a moped.... fun shit.

As reported on the other thread, I've experienced no freezing on the 360 version in 2 - 3 hours of play. Not sure if this is a pressed disc issue or what. Also I'm using a elite model.

Dunno if this has been asked yet, but just out of general curiosity, does the Wii version support the Classic Controller or GC pad as well as motion controls like RE4?

I want to talk about the actual content of the game so I'm bumping this thread.

It's a a pretty sweet game! Great dialogue, funny characters.

I really like the fact that the story is relatable, sure I like stories about 1000 year old immortals as much as the next guy. But there is something about hearing characters talikng about going to the "caf" and getting busted for being out of school uniform that gets me giddy in a weird nostalgic way.

It really does bring me back to high school.
It's so refreshing to play a game grounded in reality that doesn't take itself so seriously.

So yeah I love it so far.

Also, whenever I'm late for a class and want to get there fast I purposely get caught by a prefect. There's no penalty for that, right?

painey

sublime085 said:
I really like the fact that the story is relatable, sure I like stories about 1000 year old immortals as much as the next guy. But there is something about hearing characters talikng about going to the "caf" and getting busted for being out of school uniform that gets me giddy in a weird nostalgic way.

This is what i wanted when I played the PS2 original, but this game is so completely over the top dripping in stereotypes I just couldnt get that vibe.

painey said:
This is what i wanted when I played the PS2 original, but this game is so completely over the top dripping in stereotypes I just couldnt get that vibe.

The game is full of highschool stereotypes, etc but really, isn't that what highschool was all about. I think it adds to the authenticity. :D

I consider them more like archetypes than sterotypes, there were defintely cliques like the ones in bully in my school, mostly the jocks and preppies. And yeah they're slightly overblown, but that's where the humor really shines IMO.

painey

There were cliques at my school, but I mean in Bully they are so over the top they make Saved by the Bell look like a documentary.

painey said:
There were cliques at my school, but I mean in Bully they are so over the top they make Saved by the Bell look like a documentary.
It jumps the fine line of satire and parody a lot.

It's pretty effective for me, too bad it left a sour taste in your mouth.

Today I buyed the Pal Wii version and this game is really amazing. I played at a friend's house the ps2 version a year ago and I love it, but the controlls in this are really, really fun.
Now im in the middle of chapter 2 and I really like all the over the top humour about the cliques.

It brings back memories.

Kingpen

I never played it when it came out on last gen, so I picked up the Wii version today on impulse. So far I don't see anything that is looking bad as far as music drops, bad framerate or freezing in this version (all the stuff that seems very apparent in the 360 version).

I'm liking the game so far and the charm of how everyone has a personality. It looks like there is going to be a lot of stuff to do in this game as well. The Wii controls are handling pretty well so far. Graphically I'm actually impressed at how this looks for a Wii game on my LCD high def. I'm only 3% done with the game but just wanted to relay that I think the Wii version is going to turn out to be a pretty good version of the game.

I played this game a TON today. It's so addictive. It has that great Rockstar pacing, all the missions are so short you figure you might as well do one more, and one more, and another until you realize you've been playing for hours. Have about 25% done so far and I like it a lot. The Christmas stuff was pretty fun, punching half-pint Christmas elves I doubt could ever get old.

On 360 by the way and not a single freeze, people are freaking out way too much in my opinion. Mass Effect had the plenty of glitches and game freezing bugs in it. Hell tons of games do. If you had plans to buy it but aren't sure after all the reports of freezing, I'd recommend that you don't let an overly vocal minority steer you away from what is a great game.

Safe Bet

Banned
painey said:
Bully is paradoy and satire yet it pales in comparison to my personal High School experience.

Sex, Drugs, Music, Violence, Suicide, Ethnic Gangs, Social Cliques, Etc...

I don't know where you went to school, but it amazes me you think Bully is "over the top" in some way.

Did you attend a Private School or live in a Upper Middle Class School District?

painey

..the fuck?!? you're a strange one.

I just got my PAL copy and its ok so far, i beat it on PS2 and im replaying it for HD graphics and because my friend is playing it for the first time on 360 so I want to compete with him, no freezing so far but the frame rate is more up and down than a fat guy on a trampoline and there have been several hitches, especially in the looping music. Graphically it looks ok, the character models look sharp and theres none of that awful fog from the PS2 version.

fresquito

AgentOtaku said:
question

I know you throw the nunchuck and wiimote for punches....but what do you use to block?
Can you block? I always go berserk :lol

I'm having fun with the title, although it seems the actions you get to do are a little limited. So far the best thing is tyhe ambient and mood and the story/characters. The setting is just brilliant.

Combat is fun as well. Other than that not very much to talk home about.

Safe Bet

Banned
painey said:
..the fuck?!? you're a strange one.
dazed.jpg

PS

If what I wrote seems so shocking to you, you are a very very "sheltered" individual.

bryehn

AgentOtaku said:
question

I know you throw the nunchuck and wiimote for punches....but what do you use to block?

c button doubles as lock-on/block, not that I ever actually block, it's too fun and easy to just wail on fools. I'm surprised at how decent the controls turned out, though at 1am, I'd really appreciate some classic controller support instead of swinging my arms around

Gowans

picked this up from some trade ins today (no way Im fighting DMC4s bosses in a row for the 3rd time).

Maybe im not in the right mood but its not clicking with me and god I don't remember there being so much loading last gen :(

I'll give it more of a chance later

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
360 pal version, no crashes so far, framerate is a little jumpy outside but nothing major.

I am loving the music.

fresquito

I've played a bit more. So far the game is a bit thin on gameplay, but the setting is so damn good that the thing gameplay at least doesn't get in the way. The best gameplay thing so far is combat. Missions not so much and classes have been nothing to write home about.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Seems I spoke to soon, had my first crash, a bully attacked me so I shoved him and it froze.

Lucky I rented it, how they release a game with such a huge bug I don't know.

Deacan said:
Seems I spoke to soon, had my first crash, a bully attacked me so I shoved him and it froze.

Lucky I rented it, how they release a game with such a huge bug I don't know.

Well its not uncommon at all this day and age for a game to crash occasionally, but I don't really think they ran into this issue before shipping. It just seems too random.

KGKK

Banned
I take it none of you have been to a boarding school. This game brought back a lot of memories for me, pure nostalgia:D. PS2 version btw.

Aurora

Good game so far, it's a refreshing break from Lost Odyssey.

I've suffered 2 crashes already... in what, 6 hours of playtime? I can't believe this issue wasn't even mentioned in the reviews.

Top Bottom