• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Bully: Scholarship Edition (360/Wii) Thread

Tab0203

I love the "over the shoulder" view. Looking/walking around is so smooth and cinematic. Steadicam-like.
The bounding box is very small. It feels a little bit like Metroid Prime 3 (expert) with the cursor locked in the center (slingshot) and faster turning speed.

I never played this game before I got the wii version, but I'm loving it. I don't really like the combat controls too much, though. I mean, they're good, but still not nearly as good as The Godfather. In The Godfather, every move you made just "made sense" control wise. That's not always the case with Bully and I find myself having a hard time keeping up with all the different moves.

Otherwise, I am loving the game. It has great pacing, variety and I'm just in general having a hell of a time with it. Plus the game looks really good!

painey

I just got
14CLiGJhbC9CCBoEGlxTWTFBL2FjaC8wLzI2AAAAAOfn5-hj194=.jpg

Perfectionist
100% Bully Completion - 125g

Now i've beaten it on PS2 and X360 :D

I'm like 40% through the game and haven't had a single freeze, so I'm thinking it's fine on my hardware revision.

I like the writing and voicing of the game in particular. I find the controls to be kind of ass, though. The right thumbstick camera control just isn't as smooth and intuitive as on games like Crackdown and Saint's Row. There's also a lot of deadzone slop, which makes stuff like dissection harder than it should be.

Still, a good game.

Man I'd forgotten how good this game is. Such amazing writing and gameplay.

Please Rockstar, give us a 360 port of The Warriors next

Surfheart

I got the 360 version against my better judgement and 2 freezes so far for about 4 hours in.

Not really feeling the game yet, janky as fuck graphics engine doesn't help matters much. Hard to believe a game that looks like this on the 360 has framerate issues.

I can't think of a worse looking or worse performing game on the 360 yet.

Surfheart said:
I got the 360 version against my better judgement and 2 freezes so far for about 4 hours in.

Not really feeling the game yet, janky as fuck graphics engine doesn't help matters much. Hard to believe a game that looks like this on the 360 has framerate issues.

I can't think of a worse looking or worse performing game on the 360 yet.

Plenty of worse looking games IMO. Bully has a great art style and well designed world, for what it is, I think it looks decent.

Surfheart

GauntletFan said:
Plenty of worse looking games IMO. Bully has a great art style and well designed world, for what it is, I think it looks decent.

You think? I couldn't think of one. The character models look PS2 level.
I think I would be happier with how it looks if it wasn't often running sub 15 frames-per-second.

gdt

GauntletFan said:
Man I'd forgotten how good this game is. Such amazing writing and gameplay.

Please Rockstar, give us a 360 port of The Warriors next

I've been on a Rockstar open world binge (playing all the GTA's for the first time and will be picking up Bully on PS2) so, how is The Warriors?

BTW, is the Godfather Wii good?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Surfheart said:
You think? I couldn't think of one. The character models look PS2 level.
I think I would be happier with how it looks if it wasn't often running sub 15 frames-per-second.

I went in expecting the game to look pretty bad but I'm extremely impressed with the visuals. I owned the PS2 version of this game as well and the 360 version is much nicer looking IMO. Maybe my expectations are different because I'm used to how Rockstar games look.

Tab0203

I'm in chapter 3 right now. Seasons FTW! Great game.
The unstable frame rate (and pop-in) is pretty bad at times, but it looks better than expected.

Wii:

2iu2ij5.jpg

2n9as01.jpg

2v1stae.jpg

px9q8.jpg

2qw3eib.jpg

124jwhd.jpg

jil3js.jpg

2nk16v9.jpg

1zlw5yq.jpg

23wn1hj.jpg

5oi8oy.jpg

2qwojv5.jpg

2dlnpe1.jpg

205f920.jpg

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
painey said:
I just got
14CLiGJhbC9CCBoEGlxTWTFBL2FjaC8wLzI2AAAAAOfn5-hj194=.jpg

Perfectionist
100% Bully Completion - 125g

Now i've beaten it on PS2 and X360 :D
congrats!!!!

I just finished it on the 360 as well, but at only 98% completion, but I finished it on the PS2 as well ;)

360 Scholarship edition players:

Do you think that any of the new class mini-games are in anyway diminished by the 360 control pad? I've played and beaten a rented PS2 copy of the game, and want to get the Scholarship edition. I want the graphics and achievements of the 360 version, but will probably go Wii if the new stuff is a pain to play with the control sticks.

gdt5016 said:
so, how is The Warriors?

BTW, is the Godfather Wii good?

The Warriors is superb, especially if you like the movie as they nailed absolutely everything. Otherwise, it's a fantastic modern brawler.. not so much an open world game but it still maintains the feel of a R* title, and has plenty of side missions and mechanics like Bully.

The Godfather Wii is excellent, from what I've heard. I haven't played it though.

Struct09

Shockgamer said:

Do you think that any of the new class mini-games are in anyway diminished by the 360 control pad? I've played and beaten a rented PS2 copy of the game, and want to get the Scholarship edition. I want the graphics and achievements of the 360 version, but will probably go Wii if the new stuff is a pain to play with the control sticks.

Was Biology in the PS2 version? That's the only real annoying one to do with a standard controller.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
ICallItFutile said:
I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet, but have they patched the game to solve the freezing problem on the 360?

Apparently the patch was finished last Wednesday, now it's sitting under the gold master of Ikaruga in some random tester's cube in MS cert.

Rhindle

Shockgamer said:

I'm having trouble with the last two music classes, which require you to hit the two triggers in rapid succession. I can almost never get the left trigger to register.

Apart from that the classes are easy, tho biology takes some practice.

Struct09 said:
Was Biology in the PS2 version? That's the only real annoying one to do with a standard controller.
I agree. Biology is a little annoying with a stick, but if it was in the PS2 version, you already know what it is like.

I'm really enjoying Bully . . . by the time I finish it, GTA IV will be out. :D

I've had a chance to play around with the Wii version a bit. The controls are better on the Wii version . . left & right punches, the mini-games, the humiliation moves . . . nice. But graphics are definitely lower resolution and a lot muddier. The load times are shorter, so that is a benefit . . . plus no freezes.

It is a tough call between the two implementations but since I'm a HD ho, I guess I still like the 360 version more.

Shockgamer said:
English, Shop, Art, Chemistry, Gym and Photography were the original PS2 classes.
Well, then they added Math and Biology. Math is just simple multiple choice questions.

Biology is pretty cool though . . . cutting open frogs, mice, fish, etc.

Biology 5 with a joypad (and frankly, not the best-coded controls) = ouch. I'm clumsy. Finally got it though.

Finished the 360 version I rented at 62% complete and 17 hours of play. I may revisit it at some point but Vegas 2 comes out tomorrow, so back to the store it goes.

Rockstar, please make a real nextgen sequel using the GTA IV engine and a licensed soundtrack. Maybe an 80s version or something like that.

MC Safety

I'm at about 57 or so percent, and I can't really put off the stealth missions any more.

I'm struck by how godawful the stealth missions are. I've already done the first asylum one and now must return to that site to rescue yet another idiot. And then I have to do the panty raid ...

Rockstar does the open world very well. Bully, to its credit, is also well written and engaging.

The stealth portions, however, are death. Death.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Rockstar, please make a real nextgen sequel using the GTA IV engine and a licensed soundtrack. Maybe an 80s version or something like that.

probably the worst idea i've read..wait, yup that is the worst idea i've read.

Timan

Developer
I have a few questions about the game,

Do I "have to" goto class? I mean if I go randomly would I be missing anything?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Timan said:

You don't have to go to classes at all. When that class comes back around in the schedule it will still be at the same level as it would have been if you went. Make sense?

The only issue with skipping is getting caught.

Timan said:

classes unlock abilities, you don't have to go but getting them finished asap has it's rewards.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
PS2'ers allowed to post here? Been enjoying the game on and off since like september was it? And yes the games music is really great so beat it haters! :D

I'm up to chapter 4 now and 38.80% complete. Loved the final mission of chapter 3! Stupid greasers! I super hate shop class! I just can't even get past the bike pedal part! I move the stick in the way it says yet I fail! >_<; I still suck at getting around and have to use the map often. If you complete all the classes do you no longer have to worry about being truant? Being able to stroll around and waste my days more freely would be nice!

Struct09

Completed the story mode today. The last mission was well done and a lot of fun!

I enjoyed the game. The story missions were a bit on the easy side, but a side effect to that was that there were not many frustrating moments in the game. I'm sure the optional content provides a better challenge, but I'm not so sure I'm going to go after any of it.

I think the passing of time in this game was kind of clunky and could have been handled better. There were times where I didn't want to be truant, but I was in the middle of a mission. Also, being truant really got in the way of some missions, since you would get chased down by police/prefects while doing them. I'm no game designer, so I couldn't suggest a better method, but I still feel it could have been done better and less annoying.

The size of the world was perfect. One of my problems with GTA:SA was that the world was just too big, and you spend too much time just driving from one side of the map to the other. In Bully it never takes too long to get from one point to another.

I thought the story was kind of cheesy, and didn't get into it as much as I did the stories for the GTA games.

I played it on 360, and was lucky enough to not see any freezes or framerate problems, even before the patch.

The classes were actually fun. Except for Biology 5. I'm sure it's fine for the Wii version, but fuck Biology 5 on an Xbox 360 controller :(

A solid B+ title for me. As much as I enjoyed it, I expect a lot more from Rockstar for GTA4.

Struct09

Anyone want to help me figure out what mission I'm missing?

I have
completed and I know there's
. I completed the Halloween mission. I did the two missions for the
townies that appear after 7
, and I did the first paper route and lawn mowing missions. I'm hoping I'm missing something obvious.

EDIT: Figured it out, it was the last hobo mission :p

Sylar

Banned
Gary was my favorite villain of 2006. I can't wait to get the funds to get the 360 version since I loved the PS2 version so much. It's too bad the ending was kinda...abrubt

gdt

Sylar said:
Gary was my favorite villain of 2006. I can't wait to get the funds to get the 360 version since I loved the PS2 version so much. It's too bad the ending was kinda...abrubt

Whats going on in your avatar?

Grecco

speculawyer said:
Well, then they added Math and Biology. Math is just simple multiple choice questions.

Biology is pretty cool though . . . cutting open frogs, mice, fish, etc.

They added Music too. Many of the added classes feel like they were made with the Wiimote in mind imo

Top Bottom