• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Bully: Scholarship Edition (360/Wii) Thread

Grecco

mattiewheels said:
revisiting this game, and it's incredible. not to contribute to the great GTA4 backlash of '08, but this game is seriously more captivating and better written than GTA4.

anyone who's on the fence: BUY THIS GAME!

Its not Gta backlash if its the truth. I loved the game and hope Rockstar revisits it in the future.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
yeah, where's the announcement for bully 2 already?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
does the wii version use pointer controls for all the minigames? i have the 360 version, but i thought it would suit the wiimote most of the time.

Grecco

mattiewheels said:
does the wii version use pointer controls for all the minigames? i have the 360 version, but i thought it would suit the wiimote most of the time.

stuff like biology controls more like trauma center so yeah

I agree that the story and characters as a whole are more interesting and cohesive than GTA4.

My only complaint is that the antagonist seemingly disappears for most of the latter half of the game. Good fun though.

fernoca

I do wonder if they are going to use the "GTAIV engine" and make a Bully: Suma Cum Laude or College Years...or something..would be cool with all the clichés, cliques, groups, sororities, fraternities, etc.. :D

mattiewheels

Pimpbaa said:
They never did fix the framerate issue with the 360 version. It gets unplayable in certain areas.
it's been great for me so far....does that happen much later in the game?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I played Bully and GTAIV back to back and enjoyed Bully more. It has a much better variety of missions, better fighting system (brawling > shitty gun fighting) and some humorous moments. Gary isn't as great a Brucie only because he isn't in over half the game. :(

mattiewheels

yeah, i guess you wind up missing gary.

"after i beat your ass, i'm gonna have your dad FIRED!"

great social commentary here :lol

Pimpbaa

mattiewheels said:
it's been great for me so far....does that happen much later in the game?

Outside mostly. Maybe they have patched it again. I'm gonna fire up my 360 in a bit, I'll check.

Bigfoot

Wow, this game is great. I picked up the Wii version a few days ago for $30, and I've had a hard time not playing it. I've put in 10+ hours in 3 days which is a lot for me as I probably only average about 5 hours of gaming a week these days.

It's all been said in this thread, but the Wii controls are great. I'm really hoping there is a Bully 2 (College Years), just as long as it is also on the Wii.

Costanza

Banned
I ditched my shitty buggy 360 copy a while back, but I just saw the Wii version on clearance for $12.48 at Target and couldn't resist.

Can't wait to play this again without the bugs.

Costanza said:
I ditched my shitty buggy 360 copy a while back, but I just saw the Wii version on clearance for $12.48 at Target and couldn't resist.

Can't wait to play this again without the bugs.

You're lucky! I wish I could find a copy of the Wii version.

See, it's lose lose with Wii games. You either pay full price day 1 or you wait awhile for the price to go down to like $10 but it's possible by that time it might be impossible to find.

Costanza

Banned
Edag Plata said:
You're lucky! I wish I could find a copy of the Wii version.

See, it's lose lose with Wii games. You either pay full price day 1 or you wait awhile for the price to go down to like $10 but it's possible by that time it might be impossible to find.
Heh, I'd actually been watching this last copy for the past few weeks waiting for it to drop from $24.98. Finally fucking happened.

just started playing the Wii version, really enjoying story and dialogues. There seems to be enough variety between missions, and Bullworth looks huuuge

but my god, graphics do suck ass. They really hurt my eyes.

Costanza said:
Heh, I'd actually been watching this last copy for the past few weeks waiting for it to drop from $24.98. Finally fucking happened.

This, my friends, is an example of how unfair the world is.

Victory! I finally found the Wii version. Best Buy had like 10 copies just chilling there at the store.

Still a great game, and there's some advise if people are looking for it on Wii.

Polari

Great gsme, 360 port is complete shit though. Seems Rockstar rewarded the offenders by buying the studio too! Playing in 1080p, the 2D graphics (like the "Mission Completed" or whatever text) look like they've been included at a resolution more appropriate to 480p and then scaled up, which looks about as nasty as you'd expect. I get weird colour flickering and of course, the frame rate issues that every man and his dog knows about by now. Very disappointing on the whole, it appears the studio in charge had no eye for presentation.

Bring on Bully 2, built from the ground up for either 360 or Wii though. I love how it crosses the life aspects of Shenmue with a mission-based structure and Gary is a pretty fantastic villain. I was disappointed to find it's based in the US rather than the UK though.

Salmonax

My issue with the 360 version wasn't so much the graphical glitches or the framerate issues, but the hideous and obtrusive loading screens. By contrast, the discrete loading indicator in the corner of an otherwise black screen in GTA4 (which I was also playing at the time) is perfect.

Loved the game, though. Great gameplay, story, and charm to spare. I was surprised at how good the soundtrack was, too.

I'd second the motion for a ground-up sequel on 360/PS3.

Polari

mysticstylez said:
Wasn't there a patch to fix the issues for the 360 version?

The patch fixed the crashes and maybe improved the framerate a little bit IIRC, but as far as I can tell it's a band-aid over a gaping wound.

Salmonax said:
My issue with the 360 version wasn't so much the graphical glitches or the framerate issues, but the hideous and obtrusive loading screens. By contrast, the discrete loading indicator in the corner of an otherwise black screen in GTA4 (which I was also playing at the time) is perfect.

Loved the game, though. Great gameplay, story, and charm to spare. I was surprised at how good the soundtrack was, too.

I'd second the motion for a ground-up sequel on 360/PS3.

Just recently rented this game and it's fun to play. I'm getting a big kick out of it but good God what is up with the loading screens???? The PS2 has 32 megs of system ram and the 360 has 512 of system ram. Are they really serious that with that much of an upgrade they can't get rid of the loading?

It doesn't ruin the game by any means but defiantly brings out out of the flow.

Polari

OldJadedGamer said:
Just recently rented this game and it's fun to play. I'm getting a big kick out of it but good God what is up with the loading screens???? The PS2 has 32 megs of system ram and the 360 has 512 of system ram. Are they really serious that with that much of an upgrade they can't get rid of the loading?

It doesn't ruin the game by any means but defiantly brings out out of the flow.

The developers were retarded incompetents. I'm hoping the hard drive install feature in the new dashboard will help out with this one. Still, it's pretty bad especially when you consider how effective the streaming in the GTA games on PS2 was with only 32MB of RAM.

Just in case anyone hasn't played one of the best Rockstar games, it'll be out on the PC on October 21st. So really, you'll have no reason to to try it, it is on pretty much every platform.

I hope all these ports mean they're planning a Bully 2...

Bogus

Bully: Scholarship Edition is now on Steam for 29.99. The complete soundtrack is also included in the package.

If you're a PC gamer and have missed out on this game so far, now's your chance to play the definitive version of one of Rockstar North's finest productions.

mattiewheels said:
revisiting this game, and it's incredible. not to contribute to the great GTA4 backlash of '08, but this game is seriously more captivating and better written than GTA4.

I enjoyed the game . . . but better than GTA 4? :lol The engine isn't nearly as good. But Bully is definitely worth playing.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
mattiewheels said:
speculawyer said:
I enjoyed the game . . . but better than GTA 4? :lol The engine isn't nearly as good. But Bully is definitely worth playing.
How is one related to the other?

zig

Can anyone speak for the PC controls? Third person game console ports usually don't work too well on the PC.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
speculawyer said:

I also think it's better then GTA4. Mostly because it's just a better sandbox game.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
How's the framerate on the Wii? Be honest please, I can do with not mind bogglin graphics but I HATE not-smooth framerate.

Dash Kappei said:
How's the framerate on the Wii? Be honest please, I can do with not mind bogglin graphics but I HATE not-smooth framerate.

The Wii version is pretty much locked at 30fps ....unlike the horrible 360 version

Plus, I enjoyed the "look" of the Wii and PS2 version more anyway ....never liked the graphic overhaul they gave the 360 version

Dash Kappei said:
The framerate is fine but the resolution blows. I'd go with the 360 version because I like resolution. But the Wii version does have the funky motion controls.

Edit: I've had the chance to pay both versions.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
speculawyer said:
The framerate is fine but the resolution blows. I'd go with the 360 version because I like resolution. But the Wii version does have the funky motion controls.

Edit: I've had the chance to pay both versions.

Thanks, but I could never force myself to play an entire game with such a framerate problem like Bully360 has :-/

Also: "funky" has in "nice and funny" or as in "unresponsive gimmickness"?

Acid08

Banned
I have the PS2 version and loved it to death. One of the few games I kept from my PS2 library when switching to the PS3/360. Would it be worth it to pick up the 360 version?

yea it's worth it, the 360 version was about 30 bucks at circuit city. It looks great compared to the ps2(colors,sharpness), felt a bit strange control-wise, but i didn't spend a whole lot of time with it. i got alot of backlog to finish before i start up another game.

I just wanted to chime in here since I picked up the 360 version today for a low low 10 bucks. I played the PS2 version to death and really wanted to check out this port.

I'm not sure if it's due to the fact that I installed it but the framerate seems quite stable - I'd say it's on par with the PS2 version so far. I've been playing it for at least a couple of hours and haven't seen a significant framerate drop once.

Just picked this up as well to play along with RebelFM. I've put in roughly 11 hours over the course of two days and am loving every second of it. I don't understand the showstopping complaints about the framerate. Sure, it chugs every now and again, but it has never really bothered me. Just got to winter last night, I love the crappy half roll half slide of the skateboard in the snow. I mess around in the snow more often than not, having a blast powersliding into people. I also had a blast kicking soccer balls into people :lol .

If anyone is on the fence about playing this thanks to renewed interest I would definitely recommend it. Also it's easy to find for $10-20.

edit: I did install this to the hdd. Maybe that makes the framerate more tolerable and the loading screens less bothersome imo.

i own the ps2 CE and the 360 edition, this game is fucking sweet. and the soundtrack is just awsome. couple of audio glitches but other than that it ran fine on my 360.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Picked this up today. I'm really enjoying it (even though I'm only 3% in). I got a major glitch while playing the arcade game in the dorm. The game froze completely, and I saved only in the very beginning so I had to do a lot of things over again.

I'll have to save more often I guess, but this seems like a really fun game. I love the characters especially.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Please excuse the double post, but I just had to bump this thread up because of how awesome the game is. Never played this on the PS2, and this is quite a treat. So much personality and fun with soooo much to do. :D

Makes me want to try out GTA4.

Also, if I'm going for 100% but I don't do some side missions can I do them at the end or something even if I passed the chapter they are in?

Top Bottom