• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Bully: Scholarship Edition (360/Wii) Thread

just got it a few hours ago. i was going to get this, but then once i heard about all the bugs i decided against it, then i heard rockstar will be working on a patch and that's good enough for me so i snagged it.

i'm only an hour in, probably not enough time to experience any bugs, but the framerate isn't that great. i'm more than willing to overlook it though, so far it's a blast and i love the world. can't believe i slept on the ps2 version.

kylej

Banned
yeah how is this not running at a perfect 60fps? Doesn't COD4 run at 60fps? Bully SE is probably the ugliest 360 game I've ever played. There's no excuse for the abysmal framerate and pop-in.

fresquito

I'm playing the Wii version and framerate is fine for the most. Some drops here and there, but nothing really serious. It usually runs at 30fps and dips to 20 from time to time. It seems it's a stream problem rather than many things going on at once.

About the game itself, I've just reached the third chapter. So far the game is very good. Missions are varied and the setting and dialogue is top notch. I was skeptic that the GTA formula would work in a game like this, but it does. Only complaint so far is that besides the missions and helping mission there's not a whole thing to do.

Anyway, I'm pleasantly surprised.

I've been playing for a while on the 360 and haven't had any freezes. I'm only 6.05% in though but I did the Halloween missions and am in Chapter II with no freezes.

I've had audio drop-outs and an inconsistent frame rate though.

I am definitely enjoying the game though and I'm glad I picked it up.

Tab0203

Very nice music. The "walking around" tune reminds me of "The Nobodies" instrumental from Bowling for Columbine.
But it's not on the official soundtrack! :( I found it on youtube:

Bully - Walking Tune:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xvfdts5Y6K4
Edit:
http://vixy.net/

Here's the columbine music:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0StFEhsfRP0

The entertainment industry has been quick to embrace the Ping Pong sound, featuring in the television series Malcom in the Middle, Lost, Desperate Housewives, CSI: Miami, Ugly Betty, and the upcoming blockbuster film Oceans 13.

Shawn's contribution to game music is the soundtrack to Rockstar Games' boarding school sim Bully/ Canis Canem Edit.
http://squarehaven.com/news/2007/01/25/Voices-and-Choices-A-Conversation-with-Shawn-Lee/

And a few pictures:

2uo44jk.jpg

2easdn6.jpg

2589vnc.jpg

33116x2.jpg

2hehuhf.jpg

28r2nw4.jpg

2prfmrr.jpg

2d76t1.jpg

2wd6at4.jpg

de6vjs.jpg

6i4p07.jpg

2vb0br8.jpg

sf9m5t.jpg

2ro02e9.jpg

ndkdbn.jpg

VAIL

Finally got to leave campus
to get meat, lulz
Color me impressed.

It's a fun game so far, like I said originally it's School Ties the video game.

VAIL

Scalpel Knight said:
I'm strongly thinking about getting the Wii version. Do the controls feel good, any of you with the game?

If you played godfather, then you'll know what to expect from the controls.

They works fine, makes biology a lot of fun.

fresquito

Scalpel Knight said:
I'm strongly thinking about getting the Wii version. Do the controls feel good, any of you with the game?
Combat feels very good (boxing missions are nice). But R* did some very odd choices in regard button configuration. It's not like the game is unplayable or anything that refrains from enjoying the game, but sometimes it feels unnatural. For istance, when you are running a bike, A is to pedal, while up on the d-pad serves as brakes and down on the d-pad as jump. However B remains unused. So there you go, very odd chpices, but nothing that hurts the experience very much.

bran

I quite enjoy the game except for the fact it's not "Save anywhere" and it randomly freezes my 360, making it impossible to actually save progress -_-.

fresquito said:
Combat feels very good (boxing missions are nice). But R* did some very odd choices in regard button configuration. It's not like the game is unplayable or anything that refrains from enjoying the game, but sometimes it feels unnatural. For istance, when you are running a bike, A is to pedal, while up on the d-pad serves as brakes and down on the d-pad as jump. However B remains unused. So there you go, very odd chpices, but nothing that hurts the experience very much.

That is pretty weird. Can you change the config?

fresquito said:

B in the bike is for throwing fireworks, newspapers and thos kinds of things.
The only odd choice for me is up in the d pad is brake and down is jump, however I think they did it like this because you use much more jump than brake.

BTW Ive beat the game in the wii version with 29 hours and 72%, and there are lots of things to continue doing.This game is really awesome and fun and one of the best for Wii.

The ending mission is epic.

fresquito

SpacePirate Ridley said:
B in the bike is for throwing fireworks, newspapers and thos kinds of things.
The only odd choice for me is up in the d pad is brake and down is jump, however I think they did it like this because you use much more jump than brake.

BTW Ive beat the game in the wii version with 29 hours and 72%, and there are lots of things to continue doing.This game is really awesome and fun and one of the best for Wii.

The ending mission is epic.
Yeah, you're right, my bad. I forgot about throwing things. Probably because you rarely throuw anything, except for some missions.

GODDAMN!

I'm adoring Bully right now...everything from the characters, art direction, autumn washington-esque setting, suprisingly great Wii controls, etc.....

Glad I ditched my PS2 version (I was too occupied when I had it at the time) and waiting for this version...

Though I will have to declare negative criticism for Rockstar's continued "practice" of NOT puting true 16:9 widescreen in their last-gen games, but just cropping the 4:3 image instead.Though their GUI overlays are fine....Bully on PS2 had the exact same "widescreen" support, sans the 480p

here's some sample pics

2vnkn4j.jpg

fylto7.jpg

n6fg36.jpg

1440ais.jpg

It sucks cause i'm prolly gonna have to play Bully in 4:3 instead, cause you just can't unsee the shit once you know it's there....it's too zoomed in and is a bit disorienting as well

Sadist said:
Wow, the Wii version looks really nice. When the price drops to € 30 in Europe I'm buying it.

yeah, don't get me wrong, the Wii version does look fantastic...especially color saturation wise....it just blows that they crop the image

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Did the mission where you have to take pictures of some girl cheating on her boyfriend. When I took the pictures back to the guy under the bridge, Jimmy got off his bike, the camera went all weird and the controls stopped working. The world was still going, people and cars went by, the audio played...just couldn't move. And since the game doesn't auto-save I lost 3 hours of progress. I was really enjoying the it up to this point too. Eff this game. (Wii version btw)

Mohonky

I've played only about 2% of the game on Xbox360 but already the frame rate is giving me the shits. I can deal with the graphics being poor that doesn't bother me, it's that the frame rate is just so all over the shop for a game that even without complete optimisation should just use pure grunt to get a solid frame rate from.

The controls tend to lag a little aswell and become unresponsive after a camera has swung around.

No freezing so far though.

I really want to get through this game but if it continues this way I doubt I'll be bothered.

Can Rockstar possible patch all these problems up?

maxmars

fresquito said:
Combat feels very good (boxing missions are nice). But R* did some very odd choices in regard button configuration. It's not like the game is unplayable or anything that refrains from enjoying the game, but sometimes it feels unnatural.

On top of that, much like any other sandbox wii game, there's no support for left handed people. You punch with your right arm and Jimmy uses his left one. (Music classes are a bit disorienting this way)

Other than that I'm having fun, gameplay reminds me a bit of Godfather which is good. I like better Bully characters and story, it's very nice that many people you meet have their own identity.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I got the 360 version, playing on a (I believe non-falcon) elite that I purchased in Sep. 07.

Anyway, I've had 3 hard locks but they have been spaced enough that I get several hours between crashes. The framerate hasn't been too bad, noticeable at first, but its never dipped to irritating levels and usually seems to run pretty solid.

The 360 port looks really nice, and though the Wii pics above seem clean, just gazing at the pics above it's very apparent that the 360 version is even more clean and has improved textures on the environments.

No glitches yet, rarely the audio pops, but usually when a load is initiated, I've yet to see it occur during an actual conversation or gameplay. Also I've had no achievement glitches either. Chapter 1 achievement came up the moment gameplay initiated in chapter 2; after getting the "top" scores in the 3 arcade games I got the achievement right away. Kicking the soccer ball 100 times as well, etc... It's been fine so far...for now.

As for the game, I love it. I forgot how laid back and well executed the narrative is. Gameplay is simple and basic and never frustrates like GTA can occasionally. I'm already past the point I left off in the PS2 game(near the end of chapter 2), and am happy with the purchase.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
The graphics take a real downward turn once you get out of the school grounds. I'm getting flashbacks of GTA3.

Some areas look completely untextured.

fresquito

cjelly said:
The graphics take a real downward turn once you get out of the school grounds. I'm getting flashbacks of GTA3.

Some areas look completely untextured.
I disagree. The lighting is pretty beautiful once you go outside the school, specially the setting sun with this pale winter sun piercing light through the mist. I love it.

Then again, I'm a Wii owner :lol

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
fresquito said:
I disagree. The lighting is pretty beautiful once you go outside the school, specially the setting sun with this pale winter sun piercing light through the mist. I love it.

Then again, I'm a Wii owner :lol
Yeah, I'm talking about 360 version. I've said previously I think the Wii version looks better, mainly because the 360 version in 720p shows so many of the graphical flaws.

Haven't even received my copy yet (been playing a buddies), but I think I'll send it back and get something else.

cjelly said:
Yeah, I'm talking about 360 version. I've said previously I think the Wii version looks better, mainly because the 360 version in 720p shows so many of the graphical flaws.

Haven't even received my copy yet (been playing a buddies), but I think I'll send it back and get something else.

Yeah, judging from the vid review on IGN, the 360 version's town area did indeed look pretty barren....not to mention a bit waaay to spaced out with the roads and what not

....I still can't believe they made an entire new engine just for the 360 version

Struct09

I've played the 360 version up to Chapter 2, and haven't had any problems with framerate, freezing, or achievements.

The game isn't too bad, I'm not quite sure what I think of it. The main character (Jimmy) is pretty uninteresting so far, especially when put next to a character like Gary. The class mini games are better than I thought they would be, and the missions are pretty cool.

I was waiting for the PS2 version to drop down in price for what felt like forever, and now that there's a newer version with added content I'm gonna be doing that all over again.

jaundicejuice said:
I was waiting for the PS2 version to drop down in price for what felt like forever, and now that there's a newer version with added content I'm gonna be doing that all over again.

or you could just buy it.....seriously, the price is right on this one....whether 360 or Wii

No, I think I'll just wait. I'm trying to change my buying habits and not buy every title that remotely interests me. My old habits resulted in this ridiculously huge backlog, and I would rather play through everything I own before I buy any new games. Since I don't have that much self-control I try and just buy the triple A stuff or niche games.

Bully has always hovered there in the background because there's always been other games that interested me more. It can wait.

AniHawk

I was playing this on the 360 the other night. Right as Gary began talking about the cafeteria and cliques, "Beat it" began playing. So awesome.

Load times are shit though and I had to start from the start after about 2 hours of gameplay. Glad I was just borrowing it.

StevieP

Banned
Been playing the Wii version, with no freezing and no issues aside from the occasional framerate dip to 20-25fps. Graphics look suprisingly OK, too. Controls are a bit like Godfather (which is a good thing) but still not quite as good. It surprises me that EA still has the best controlling 3rd party 3rd-person Wii game out there. That said, it's good that they released the Wii product without all the bugs that the 360 version has and still took the time to improve the graphics over the original.

rezuth

Struct09 said:
I've played the 360 version up to Chapter 2, and haven't had any problems with framerate, freezing, or achievements.

The game isn't too bad, I'm not quite sure what I think of it. The main character (Jimmy) is pretty uninteresting so far, especially when put next to a character like Gary. The class mini games are better than I thought they would be, and the missions are pretty cool.
Are you playing in 480p?

Tab0203 said:
It depends on what time it is. 2-9 seconds.

Quick demonstration:
Bully - Loading Times

Atmosphere:
Bully - Walking Around
That looks really nice.

StevieP said:
Been playing the Wii version, with no freezing and no issues aside from the occasional framerate dip to 20-25fps. Graphics look suprisingly OK, too. Controls are a bit like Godfather (which is a good thing) but still not quite as good. It surprises me that EA still has the best controlling 3rd party 3rd-person Wii game out there. That said, it's good that they released the Wii product without all the bugs that the 360 version has and still took the time to improve the graphics over the original.

EA?

Tab0203 said:
It depends on what time it is. 2-9 seconds.

Quick demonstration:
Bully - Loading Times

Atmosphere:
Bully - Walking Around

Oh man, that atmosphere vid really made me look forward to getting this game (Wii version).

Unfortunately I don't allow myself to buy multiple games at a time, simply because if i have too many games at once, my backlog ramps up like hell for some reason.

But I will definitely be buying this within the next month (the only problem is, what first? This or Okami? Hmmmm).

I had a couple hard freezes last night doing the paper route missions, just as an FYI. It's possible that it might be another part of the game that is a magnet for freezes.

Top Bottom