• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official CNN 1/31 Democratic Debate Thread: Obama v. Clinton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good job Hillary as well.

1. Paints the picture
2. Inserts her proposal (ready from day one)
3. Thanks Edwards
4. Lays the course for the debate

sangreal

npm0925 said:
Awful opening by Obama.

long winded, but otherwise good

like most of his debate responses.

he should have stopped when wolf told him to. it was a more powerful moment anyway

pxleyes

Banned
STOP LAUGHING AT EVERYTHING HILLARY! It really annoys me that she laughs or openly smiles at every non-aggressive statement made to her.

Hrmm I wonder if Obama will be able to address the health care thing effectively - she mandates that people get health care, but doesn't adequately address making it affordable...

I bet you Obama is going to use the line: the problem is not that people don't want health care, it's that they can't afford it.

Anno

Obama's hair looks rather incongruous. I still think he looks like a far finer president, even if it's not like he's reading from a teleprompter.

Lo-Volt

Senator Clinton said she wants to freeze interest rates? Last time I checked, she can't do that unless she ran the Federal Reserve as its appointed head. Did I mishear her?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Lo-Volt said:
She wants to freeze interest rates? Last time I checked, she can't do that unless she ran the Federal Reserve directly. Did I mishear her?

Ugh, a President really can't do a lot without the backing of the congress... at least, that's how it's supposed to be. Everything they talk about are agendas that they will push for - the assumption is there that not all policies and agendas of theirs will make it through their presidency.

pxleyes said:
Obama is stumbling way too much AND he is talking way too long.

BUT HE DUN SPEEK LIKE DA COMMAN MAN, MAN!

Bulla564

Banned
Lo-Volt said:
Senator Clinton said she wants to freeze interest rates? Last time I checked, she can't do that unless she ran the Federal Reserve as its appointed head. Did I mishear her?

Probably legislation to freeze adjustable rate mortgages.

Lo-Volt

reilo said:
Ugh, a President really can't do a lot without the backing of the congress... at least, that's how it's supposed to be. Everything they talk about are agendas that they will push for - the assumption is there that not all policies and agendas of theirs will make it through their presidency.

True, but I assumed the Federal Reserve sets interest rates, not the Congress or executive.

Bulla: maybe so. I wonder how that effort would work, but she did just say precious little.

Anno

pxleyes said:
Obama is stumbling way too much AND he is talking way too long.

See I would rather hear fewer questions that the take longer to answer anyway, so rock on Barack.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Cerrius said:
uh....uh.........uh.........

how about listening to his words?

its obvious that he doesnt have great debating skills, but we shouldnt be judging on debating skills. we should be judging on the content.

reilo

Hey guys, remember, the last time we had a bumbling, stumbling and stuttering idiot run for the presidency won it all because he appealed to the least common denominator.

Besides, at least Obama can read off of a TelePrompTer. Well, at least he can read.

HE SAID NEGGER!!!

pxleyes

Banned
Anno said:
See I would rather hear fewer questions that the take longer to answer anyway, so rock on Barack.
Rock on indeed. I was in debate in high school so I have all these little pet peeves about how people speak.

tralfazz said:
Didn't know Obama was a lefty.
He officially has my vote through and through.

Dolphin

Banned
Obama's getting stronger as he goes. A little stuttering starting out, but he's getting more articulate.

Anyway, the hesitation implies he's thinking rather than lying.

reilo

I think the make-up on Hillary's face can shape-shift T1000 style.

Anno

Lo-Volt said:
True, but I assumed the Federal Reserve sets interest rates, not the Congress or executive.

I would like to hear one candidate say that they support legislation to educate the masses on financial topics. Learning the differences between fixed rates and ARMs; learning to properly budget and save; being taught the consequences of mistreating money before it comes back to bite people. Honestly that is the one thing that I lacked most in high school, and god I would've been screwed if my parents didn't drill it into my brain.

pxleyes

Banned
sangreal said:
is this your first Obama debate?
I'm usually not a fan of debates because I make up my mind on my own through my own research, so yes. Waiting for lost has to be filled with something...

Atrus

Gold Member
This is going on too nicely. It seems to me that with all the historic hype going into this debate has affected the discourse. Neither wants people in the future to look back on the debate between the first potential black president and the first potential female president to see what happened last time.

sangreal

pxleyes said:
I'm usually not a fan of debates because I make up my mind on my own through my own research, so yes. Waiting for lost has to be filled with something...

I figured as much, because most people assume his amazing public speaking skills will carry over to debates, but this is how he has performed in every debate I've watched. Always stutters and always takes too long

I find it odd since he was a Lawyer

Dolphin

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
so. i dont really understand the differences between the health care plans. sounds pretty similar.

:/
Hillary wants to require everyone to purchase healthcare, Obama wants healthcare to be affordable to everyone, and necessary for children.

Anno

quadriplegicjon said:
so. i dont really understand the differences between the health care plans. sounds pretty similar.

Do you enjoy having to have car insurance? That is probably the core difference: whether people are capable of deciding when they "need" health insurance at a lower rate, children aside, or whether every has it forced on them. Who wins? I dunno.

Piper Az

quadriplegicjon said:

What Hillary is trying to do is a mandated health care system - this requires overhauling the entire medical system in our country, and it's almost impossible to get that going.

Obama's plan is more practical. He recognizes that the existing medical system cannot be uprooted immediately, so he's arguing that the goverment will give free healthcare to kids and lower the cost for adults so that they can afford it. More practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom