• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT OP ED: Why Democrats need Wall Street

kneePat

To be "proud" of this is hilarious.

It's neoliberalism that's created the precariat problem that's eating America alive.

How in the world are you proud of the virus taking this country under..?

How dare you question my pride... terribly racist of you.

turmoil

Banned
Dems don't win because they are too extremist asking for race equality, women's rights, single payer, etc

They should get a moderate like Ted Cruz for 2020

/certain branch of democrats

I take offense to this, who in the world brain washed you?

My entire immediate family leans conservative/republican, and i guarantee you that you would be hard pressed to find a Family that donates to more charities and hands out more money then my family.

Everytime i stop by my parents house all i see is stacks of mail for charities my parents donate to, and not only for people, but for animals aswel.

As far as myself, i cannot tell you how many times i have been in long lines at WalMart (or where ever), and i see 8-10 people infront of me and not one of them donate when asked by the cashier. I ALWAYS DO!!! There have been times i have given my last dollar to help with a cause.

The whole notion that republicans are emotionless, self-centered A-Holes that only care about themselves and their pocketbook is one of the biggest lies you can possibly tell yourself, or have other tell you for you.

BTW, my parents nor myself have ever owned a new car (all 2nd hand), we cannot afford it! But still find a way to give to others to benifit their lives over our own.

I don't give a fuck how much you or your family donates.

By not supporting universal healthcare, you essentially force people to beg for charity in order to afford medical treatment. Then instead of receiving equitable access to life-saving medicine, a poor person's ability to survive now depends on how much their sob story can get people like you and your family to sympathize. Their survival becomes a sick game where if they can succeed in manipulating your heart strings they survive, but if they can't (perhaps they are too ugly, too fat, the wrong race, have a strong accent that doesn't sound pleasing, don't 'look' poor, any number of arbitrary reasons) they fucking die.

Charity is not a replacement for social services. Charity is a disgusting replacement for social services, because now these necessary services are utterly dependent on playing a game called "manipulate EtherMagic and his ilk" where the punishment for failure can be death.

Charity is also inadequate in other ways. People think they are fucking saints for giving money to homeless people. Some think they are even better by offering to buy them food. Even though a few bucks here and there will never be enough to end the cycle of poverty for them, and even though food isn't often what they need at a given time.

Charity exists to assuage your guilt,not to adequately provide for the needs of the needy.

As the party has left behind that version of liberalism, it has also found its way to its weakest electoral position — nationally and at the state level — since the 1920s. Hillary Clinton's lurch to the left probably cost her key Midwestern states that Barack Obama had won twice and led to the election of Donald Trump
Wat

Obama gave wall street a slap on the wrist after they nearly wrecked the economy and this person seriously thinks radical leftism was the reason we lost hundreds upon hundreds of seats across the spectrum of local and state politics? Oh please

Maybe the next presidential candidate should spend more time schmoozing with midwesterners instead of having fancy dinners with the rich and powerful. Maybe then we'd actually have democrats going to Wisconsin unlike dirty leftists like Bernie Sanders who wouldn't go there if you promised him single payer ponies. /sarcasm

I don't give a fuck how much you or your family donates.

By not supporting universal healthcare, you essentially force people to beg for charity in order to afford medical treatment. Then instead of receiving equitable access to life-saving medicine, a poor person's ability to survive now depends on how much their sob story can get people like you and your family to sympathize. Their survival becomes a sick game where if they can succeed in manipulating your heart strings they survive, but if they can't (perhaps they are too ugly, too fat, the wrong race, have a strong accent that doesn't sound pleasing, don't 'look' poor, any number of arbitrary reasons) they fucking die.

Charity is not a replacement for social services. Charity is a disgusting replacement for social services, because now these necessary services are utterly dependent on playing a game called "manipulate EtherMagic and his ilk" where the punishment for failure can be death.

Charity is also inadequate in other ways. People think they are fucking saints for giving money to homeless people. Some think they are even better by offering to buy them food. Even though a few bucks here and there will never be enough to end the cycle of poverty for them, and even though food isn't often what they need at a given time.

Charity exists to assuage your guilt,not to adequately provide for the needs of the needy.

Your one ignorant person! How about next time you ask the person before you start scolding them if they support universal health care, and if you asked me, my answer to you would have been ABSOLUTELY!!!

For one, just because my beliefs and views lean right does not mean i disagree with all liberal views or policies, im a moderate that leans right.

My wife is a lung cancer survivor, she had to get one lung removed and is currently living on the rest of her other one. My son was on a ventilator for almost two weeks when he was just 2 yrs of age 8 years ago and almost died on us from having bad asthma and contacting pneumonia.

Point is, we didn't have the insurance to cover these bills which totaled over a million dollars after all was said and done!

My wifes credit is screwed because of this with over 40 collection agencies on her ass!!!

If Obama care was in effect at the time we would have been fine! So don't go assuming what people believe and what they don't based on there views as a whole, you could of saved yourself the embarrassment by simply asking first.

kirblar

To reiterate for the new page: the author of this piece is employed by Fox News and hasn't had a thing to do with the Democratic Party in over a decade and a half. It's a piece making a ridiculous argument that no one in the party mainstream is making that's designed only to bait left-leaning folks into getting really mad.

The author has a history of these pieces and should absolutely not be taken seriously or at face value.

Top Bottom