• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Final Fantasy XII (JPN) Thread (read RULES in the first post)

Shouta

Jonnyram said:
I need to really ask Bebpo and co., at which point do you think Matsuno was taken off the scenario, because there wasn't any clear divide between his typical stuff and the typical FF story. For me, at least.

After the incident on the
Leviathan
. You can clearly see a shift in story focus from being political to being more mystical around that point. From that point on the slides itself into the ground by the end of the game.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Shouta said:
After the incident on the
Leviathan
. You can clearly see a shift in story focus from being political to being more mystical around that point. From that point on the slides itself into the ground by the end of the game.
Is that the part that proves that Matsuno was taken off the scenario? If so, I disagree.
There is still a lot of Matsuno stuff after that. Everything regarding the Solidor family, the Ondoll stuff, the relationship between Basch & Gabras and Balthier & Cid, the gods, etc. I recognized all that from Matsuno's previous stories.

The part that truly not felt very Matsuno-ish was the ending, imo.
Matsuno was only involved in Penelo's thoughts in the ending.
And it does feels like Matsuno's original plot was edited multiple times, but you can still see his stuff in many parts of the game after
Leviathan

Shouta

Grivenger said:
Is that the part that proves that Matsuno was taken off the scenario? If so, I disagree.
There is still a lot of Matsuno stuff after that. Everything regarding the Solidor family, the Ondoll stuff, the relationship between Basch & Gabras and Balthier & Cid, the gods, etc. I recognized all that from Matsuno's previous stories.

The part that truly not felt very Matsuno-ish was the ending, imo.
Matsuno was only involved in Penelo's thoughts in the ending.
And it does feels like Matsuno's original plot was edited multiple times, but you can still see his stuff in many parts of the game after
Leviathan

It may not be the point where he was taken off of the project but it was certainly the demarcation point for the change in narrative. It is true that you see a lot of the Matsuno stuff even after that point but the way its presented and the development of everything becomes very different from the first half of the game.

duckroll

I think for me the point where it was clear Matsuno's signature style was gone from the rest of the game was
the event at the top of the Pharos.
Shouta is right in when the narrative started getting odd, but there were still many bits and pieces of Matsuno left in the screenplay. The point I stated is when it was ALL thrown out of the window imo.

Shouta

duckroll said:
I think for me the point where it was clear Matsuno's signature style was gone from the rest of the game was
the event at the top of the Pharos.
Shouta is right in when the narrative started getting odd, but there were still many bits and pieces of Matsuno left in the screenplay. The point I stated is when it was ALL thrown out of the window imo.

THat was definitely the point where the story went "What the hell?" but there were definitely moments before that were brain-scratchingly odd.

duckroll

Shouta said:
THat was definitely the point where the story went "What the hell?" but there were definitely moments before that were brain-scratchingly odd.

Well to be honest, up until the point you mentioned, I think Matsuno actually wrote the entire screenplay. But from then on they were going on his outline and notes, and the part I mentioned was when the credited scenario writers (mainly Daisuke Watanabe) had to totally start writing their own material. :(

Jonnyram

Ah ok, so you're talking about the specific parts rather than the overall story? I was gonna say, 'cos everything to do with
Mist, the dead, etc.
is in the story from start to finish, and that's pretty much what everything boils down to really. Apart from a few mobs, I haven't really done much optional stuff, and I was at 73 hrs! Is there much scenario stuff in the optional dungeons?
Nabdis
in particular is one place I'd like to check out.

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
Ah ok, so you're talking about the specific parts rather than the overall story? I was gonna say, 'cos everything to do with
Mist, the dead, etc.
is in the story from start to finish, and that's pretty much what everything boils down to really. Apart from a few mobs, I haven't really done much optional stuff, and I was at 73 hrs! Is there much scenario stuff in the optional dungeons?
Nabdis
in particular is one place I'd like to check out.

There isn't much/any scenario stuff in the optional dungeons, but they're hard as balls and have some pretty cool wicked enemies, bosses and
summons
. :D

Yeah overall if you ask me the worldview, game design and scenario is definitely Matsuno through and through, it's the specific parts that bug us because it could have been so much better but it's not. Although, it's still VERY good. Definitely still my pick for RPG of the year. We'll see if Valkyrie Profile Silmeria changes that. ^_^

RaidenZR

SnowWolf said:
My OST shipped also!

No idea how many of these limited edition sets were made, but might as well place your order in if you want one :)

There a place to sample this fine music? How is it in general? And compare it to something if you can!

kenta

Has no PEINS
RaidenZR said:
Did the individual also do FFTA?
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (2003): Composer (in collaboration with Ayako Saso and Kaori Oukoshi; main theme provided by Nobuo Uematsu)

I guess he did some part of it

RaijinFY

kenta said:
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (2003): Composer (in collaboration with Ayako Saso and Kaori Oukoshi; main theme provided by Nobuo Uematsu)

I guess he did some part of it

The major part of it actually. :p

kiryogi

Banned
Woo :D First person in Seattle probably to get it, or at least thats what the guy said at Kinokuniya :D

ff12.png

RaijinFY

Man, I want it so bad!!!!! >_<

I'll download the first disc and wait playing the damn game before hearing the whole soundtrack!

ssoass

Red Scarlet said:
...what's wrong with the soundtrack? Songs sound as if they were in different tones, and sound different from in-game. ?????

It almost sounds like an orchestrated version of the in-game music to me, that's how good the sound quality is...
I heard that the music was of too high sound quality to be put in the game the way it sounds on the OST, and the way the OST sounds is how it was intended by Sakimoto.
Anyway, this soundtrack is amazing, definitely one of my favorites.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
ssoass said:
It almost sounds like an orchestrated version of the in-game music to me, that's how good the sound quality is...
I heard that the music was of too high sound quality to be put in the game the way it sounds on the OST, and the way the OST sounds is how it was intended by Sakimoto.
Anyway, this soundtrack is amazing, definitely one of my favorites.
You have just peaked my anticipation for it by two-fold. Your comments about the sound quality in-game may be valid too.. as it's the sound engineer who inputs the music, not the composer themselves.

MrDaravon

ncsx has verified that the OST tracks sound much better than in-game as well. The game rip I heard a couple months back was fantastic, I can't imagine it sounding even better :O

where the fuck is my order coceobiz?

duckroll

I just picked this up today, I was looking for DVDs but found this instead! The packaging is really awesome, and I'm listening to it now, WTF IS WRONG WITH THE SOUND. It doesn't really sound "better" it just sounds DIFFERENT. It's definitely not an orchestrated version, it's just mastered on CD with possibly different instruments, probably higher quality instruments but DIFFERENT from the in-game versions. This is just weird. ^^;

Oh well at least Sakimoto's compositions still rock. :D

Red Scarlet

duckroll said:
I just picked this up today, I was looking for DVDs but found this instead! The packaging is really awesome, and I'm listening to it now, WTF IS WRONG WITH THE SOUND. It doesn't really sound "better" it just sounds DIFFERENT. It's definitely not an orchestrated version, it's just mastered on CD with possibly different instruments, probably higher quality instruments but DIFFERENT from the in-game versions. This is just weird. ^^;

Oh well at least Sakimoto's compositions still rock. :D

<3 I'm not going crazy. It sounds good, but I am used to the in-game composition. So it's very weird!

Top Bottom