• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Jade Raymond's Assassin's Creed thread of PATRICE BRISEBOIS

Sysgen

Salazar said:
You cannot go wrong with any of Malcolm Barber's books - You will not be bored and academically, he is as hard as steel.

Thanks for this. It is exactly what I was looking for. Being a fan of the period, this game, Kingdom of Heaven, I was looking for some good reading material.

White Man

Salazar said:
Also - when you have much more time and some serious stamina - check out Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco.

Yeah, people may say otherwise, but they are wrong: AC is clearly more inspired by Foucault's Pendulum than it is DaVinci Code shit. I mean, it's riding the DaVinci zeitgeist, but it is FP through and through. SIMPLIFIED FC, but still.

TTG

Playing through memory block 4 now. Got to climb the huge ass tower in Acre. This has to be the most impressive looking game I've played this year. The lighting and the level design make for some amazing scenes. Then you get to walk the crowded streets...

White Man said:
I still think Kobun's review is a bit too negative--I appreciate reviewing games for what they are, but one also has to take into account of what the games being released around the "target" are. When that is taken into account, Assassin's Creed is far ahead of the curve. Stuff like Gears of War gets perfect scores even though it's completely derivative and only good under certain, specific circumstances, but AC gets grilled for being ambitious but mucking up a few details. Criticism in games totally has its priorities borked.

Sure, there are some games that seem to get away with everything, but then on the other hand there are also games that are super-solid in design that get criticized for doing little new. It works both ways and in both cases it leads to some level of unfair criticism, and the only truth here is that game criticism is flawed, probably much thanks to the massive scope, depth and range of the medium. For Assassin's Creed here, chances are that it will become praised for its ambitious ideas as they are refined in other titles.

Brian Fellows said:
Fucking game keeps freezing every time I try to enter Jerusalem.

Please don't say "PS3 version". I just caved and bought it, I don't want to hear anything more about freezing issues.

Laurent

And everybody thought I was joking a couple of pages back when I was the only one that has issues with my PS3 version freezing all the time... Is it possible that these freezing occurs after an extensive play time? Like 5-6 hours?

White Man said:
Why not read an actual book about the Assassins and learn the real, honest to god history? History is filled with little stories that they don't teach you in school that are by far more interesting than any fiction could possibly be, and the story of the Assassins is one of the best out there. Read the REAL honest to god story, and realize that schools BLOW ASS. They have the opportunity to make history as interesting as it really is, and they fail.

One of the BEST THINGS about AC is that it might get more people interested in the history of the Crusades and the Assassins. That, by my reckoning, makes it a better value than nealy any other game on the market <rubs Mass Effect's leg with foot under the Thanksgiving table>.

Care to name a couple of books then?

White Man

AltogetherAndrews said:
Sure, there are some games that seem to get away with everything, but then on the other hand there are also games that are super-solid in design that get criticized for doing little new. It works both ways and in both cases it leads to some level of unfair criticism, and the only truth here is that game criticism is flawed, probably much thanks to the massive scope, depth and range of the medium. For Assassin's Creed here, chances are that it will become praised for its ambitious ideas as they are refined in other titles.

Oh, I know, and it's terrible when the opposite happens as well. Game reviews are shitty around the board. I won't argue otherwise.

I just find it funny that shitty 1up has the audacity to think they can nitpick anything when they publish garbage like this, willing to overlook numerous flaws:

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3163125&sec=REVIEWS

Care to name a couple of books then?

Online, there's this, which I found pretty quickly:

http://www.worldhistoryblog.com/2006/11/assassins-of-hassan-i-sabah.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashshashin

I read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/184212451X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Any book of Crusade history, or more specifically, the history of the region during the Crusades, will usually have a chapter on them. Being medieval history, different sources tend to say different things (part of the fun of history of the period). The sect tended to stick to murdering other muslim leaders, but there are a few notable cases of them attacking Crusaders.

calder

Brian Fellows said:
Yep sorry. Just bought AC and a PS3 yesterday.
After 2.01 I myself had zero freezes the rest of the way. But I had only have a half dozen or so freezes up to that point (over 10 hours) so I clearly wasn't suffering the same constant crashes some unlucky folks were having.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Bah, very annoying. For some reason, I can't seem to trigger eavesdrop investigations anymore. I sit on the bench, target the two guys who are talking (and it's clearly them as it will not allow me to walk up and assassinate them), and pull the left trigger. Nada. Zip.

Grrrr.... has this happened to anyone else?

chespace said:
Bah, very annoying. For some reason, I can't seem to trigger eavesdrop investigations anymore. I sit on the bench, target the two guys who are talking (and it's clearly them as it will not allow me to walk up and assassinate them), and pull the left trigger. Nada. Zip.

on the 360 version its Y.

White Man

chespace said:

Don't you have to hit Y to begin eavesdropping? A "listen" button pops up in the controller layout, on the yellow button (I think it's Y).

Of course, it could be a bug. The game's got quite a few of them. Sometimes the game is a bit picky about which bench you are sitting on for those, too. That one's happened to me at least twice.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
calder said:
After 2.01 I myself had zero freezes the rest of the way. But I had only have a half dozen or so freezes up to that point (over 10 hours) so I clearly wasn't suffering the same constant crashes some unlucky folks were having.

Its only done it twice to me so far but thats the only two times I've tried. Its a pain in the ass getting to Jerusalem because every freakin soldier in the Kingdom is watching you so you either gotta take your sweet ass time or fight a bunch of guys every 2 minutes.

I'm gonna see if going to Acre first will change anything.

White Man

My favorite bug (4th to 6th assassination, I forget):

The really fat party animal dude. I snuck into the courtyard of his palace where he was having his little party, but not into the actual party. I triggered the cutscene, making me move slow and taking away all my control options. The problem was, I wasn't yet in the party, I was still in the courtyard. I couldn't walk into the party, because I was locked out by an invisible wall, no doubt intended to keep me *in* the party cut scene area. I was trapped in the courtyard, a total showstopper that would require resetting. I couldn't even pause.

And then the gaggle of guards patrolling the courtyard saw me and attacked. Since it was in cutscene mode, they couldn't kill me, and I couldn't attack. I sat there, amused, as the guards attacked me, unable to kill me, for like 5 minutes. It was funny. Yay scripting errors!

I can also fall through the floor, whenever I want, in the town where the Assassin's Keep is. There's a specific spot where you can go into Through the Floor World any time you want.

ezekial45

Banned
The strangest bug i ever encountered was when a guard was climbing a ladder upside down. What was even stranger was that he wasn't even touching the ladder.

ezekial45 said:
The strangest bug i ever encounter was when a guard was climbing a ladder upside down. What was even stranger was that he wasn't even touching the ladder.

Its only strange until you see guards replicate scenes from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon when chasing you.

JdFoX187

Banned
As much as I hate hunting in games, I think I'm going to do a lot more flag hunting on my next play through. Finding the Templaers was interesting, but I wish they were more of a challenge to fight.

zam

Doing the RT+X attack with the hidden blade is probably the coolest attack in the game, fun to use on Templars, solitary guards on rooftops or that lone enemy that gets scared and starts running away :D

I love the combat in the game, it's wonderful. There is the usual mash on the attack button until the enemy dies, then there's the counter-attacks, and then the combo kill, which is the hardest to pull off for me personally but really quick at dispatching enemies.

Probably one of my favorite games this year, the cities are AWESOME. Each one is huge and very detailed, and each one has it's own feel to it, and it's fun just climbing all over them.

Got all the achievements but I'll still be playing through it another time, just for the good story and fun killings.

I really liked how
they first make you suspect Al-Mualim from the start, then mid-game make you trust him again, and then in the end he betrays you like you suspected, but I liked the whole throwing you off the scent thing.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Went to CompUSA to pick up my dad's GPS Nav Unit. It was $450 with a $150 instant-rebate. Once I paid for it, they gave me a $25 gift card, and then I went over to the games section and bought Assassin's Creed for $35 :)

LOL at:

"This game was designed by a team with vast backgrounds and multicultural beliefs"

kinn

ezekial45 said:
The strangest bug i ever encountered was when a guard was climbing a ladder upside down. What was even stranger was that he wasn't even touching the ladder.

I've encountered some those npcs that sit on the benches actually sitting in midair above the benches.

conman

I made a huge discovery!!!

This is for those of you who've been playing (or thinking about playing) the game map-less and HUD-less.

I asked a few pages back about doing stealth assassinations without the aid of your map or GPS. I'm guessing the reason no one answered is because no one has figured this out yet:
After you start a stealth assassination informant mission, when you go into eagle vision mode, you can use the audio as a directional radar. Follow the source of the loud murmer and it'll lead you to your assassination targets!!

That was the last piece of the puzzle. We can all now be absolutely certain that this game was originally designed to be played without the map or the HUD.

I've also discovered a few other similar things. Each information collection block increases in difficulty as you progress. For example, you can spot most of the informants using eagle vision from viewpoints for the first assassination (the second memory block). For the second assassination (third memory block), you can spot most of them. By the third assassination, you can only find a couple that way. By the fourth, you can find almost none that way. The game is not repetitive. The difficulty increases dramatically as you progress if you play it "right."

Also, in the memory log, each individual informant mission is arranged in order of how difficult they are to find. This becomes clearer in the higher level assassinations. The first couple (the ones on the far left of the memory block) you can usually find no problem using eagle vision on a viewpoint, but the others (the ones further right in the memory block) are progressively more and more hidden from view.

It's a real shame that the developers decided to "bury" this original way of playing the game. Since it's still recoverable through changing the HUD options, this must have been a last-minute change to make the game more accessible. But I actually think it's this fundamental change in gameplay that has led reviewers and gamers to find this game so repetitive and "flawed." If this way of playing had been explained or made clearer, I don't think people would be so divided about it.

When played properly (without using the map or the HUD), it's a flawlessly designed game.
But not so flawlessly optimized.

Sho Nuff

Banned
The "hard" districts of each zone are infuriating, because the guards go fucking berserk whenever you do ANYTHING. Push a beggar out of your way? Guards go berserk. Bump into a guard? Guards go berserk. Climb anything at all? Guards go berserk.

edit: Are you fucking kidding me!? A drunk shoved me into a guard and now I'm stuck in another endless chase.

I hope they have a better way of scaling difficulty in the sequel, because this just sucks and is not fun.

ALSO: When you throw people it should not change your center (meaning, I've fallen off roofs to my death in the middle of a throw animation). It's like a bad wrestling game.

JB1981

How do you turn off the map completely? And Conman
what kind of loud murmur are you referring to?

And by informants are you referring solely to informer missions or are you talking about the eavesdrop and pickpocket missions as well?

I haven't done a single informer mission. I've only done eavesdropping and pickpocket ones, just to get them out of the way so I could move onto my main target

White Man

Sho Nuff said:
The "hard" districts of each zone are infuriating, because the guards go fucking berserk whenever you do ANYTHING. Push a beggar out of your way? Guards go berserk. Bump into a guard? Guards go berserk. Climb anything at all? Guards go berserk.

Yes, this is a valid complaint, and I agree with you. Of course, you would NEVER KNOW ABOUT IT from reviews because most of the negative ones don't even make the comment. Because reviewers are shitty, and they probably only played the first 2 hours of the game.

There are valid complaints to be made about the game. You'd just never know it by reading most of the reviews.

Synless

AltogetherAndrews said:

Please don't say "PS3 version". I just caved and bought it, I don't want to hear anything more about freezing issues.
If it makes you feel any better I have the ps3 version and have not had a single freezing incident occur, I'm on my 6th kill.

Sho Nuff

Banned
White Man said:
Yes, this is a valid complaint, and I agree with you. Of course, you would NEVER KNOW ABOUT IT from reviews because most of the negative ones don't even make the comment. Because reviewers are shitty, and they probably only played the first 2 hours of the game.

Yup yup. It's a good game, but lots of really sloppy design decisions. What's the fun of taking to the roofs if guards are going to say "HEY THAT GUY SI CLIMBING ONTO TEH ROOFS KILL KILL KILL KILL"

JB1981

Btw, I think Patrice and co. should just forget this Assassin's Creed business and get to work on a Batman game based on this engine. Imagine scaling Gotham city and looking down on the city for criminal scum? My god, the possibilities. Would probably be the best game ever.

Synless

JB1981 said:
Btw, I think Patrice and co. should just forget this Assassin's Creed business and get to work on a Batman game based on this engine. Imagine scaling Gotham city and looking down on the city for criminal scum? My god, the possibilities. Would probably be the best game ever.
I shit you not, my friend last night was ranting and raving about how awesome a Batman game would be using this engine, he got the idea when he was looking at the way Altier stands on the perch like things on top of a building, he's convinced it would be amazing.

Again...

emblem.jpg

Crusades are nice and all, but come on, this is literally screaming to be made

But yeah, a good Batman would be nice. Remember when people thought that one Batman game would be good, simply because it was being developed by Ubi? Urgh.

Sandman42

The most hilarious thing happened to me at the docks. A crazy drunken sailor was roaming around in an empty boat and when he saw me throw a knife at a guard on a tower above. The drunk then went into "run away mode" and started yelling for his life and running. The only problem was; the boat was surrounded by water. The only way out was to jump across the poles sticking out of the water like a master ninja.

The drunken sailor, who looked like he couldn't stand up moments before, jumped across each stump with expert precision and managed to free-run to safety. The most hilarious thing I've ever seen. :lol

Sho Nuff

Banned
Is it just me, or are investigations pretty much useless? Originally I was going for all 6 investigations per target, but there is no reason to do so. The investigations reveal things like "Bob likes eating cookies" or "Bob is an evil man" or "Bob's archers are here on this shitty map that's hard to understand." Even worse is stuff like "There's a scaffolding outside Bob's castle that you instantly would have seen if you actually went there instead of doing these retarded investigations."

The investigation results should have affected gameplay. If you went out of your way to get all six, those should make the mission easier -- i.e. instead of a shitty map of archers, why not have the archers be visible in some way on your HUD; instead of a map showing where the target will run, why not have that appear as well; if you learn he has a weakness, have certain weapon attacks do a little more damage.

As of now, they have little to no benefit and are a waste of time, unless you're aiming to boost your sync bar.

conman

JB1981 said:
How do you turn off the map completely? And Conman
what kind of loud murmur are you referring to?

And by informants are you referring solely to informer missions or are you talking about the eavesdrop and pickpocket missions as well?

I haven't done a single informer mission. I've only done eavesdropping and pickpocket ones, just to get them out of the way so I could move onto my main target
By "informant" I'm just referring to all of the information-gathering missions prior to the main assassination for a particular memory block.

While you can easily turn off the GPS (in the HUD options menu), the only way to "turn off" the map is not to use it. :D But seriously, if you're enjoying this game, play it without using the map. You'll be happy you did.

And JB1981, once you get to an informant who wants you to stealth assassinate some people for him, you'll know what I'm talking about. I wasn't sure how to track down his targets without using the map, but now I know.
In eagle vision, after you've spoken to one of these informants, you rotate your view and treat it like a radar device. Follow the direction of the loudest sound like in Ocarina of Time, and you'll find the informant's targets.
Figuring that last thing out may have single-handedly made this one of my all time favorite games. It proved to me that this game rewards real detective work and exploration and ingenuity.

You can trust to your senses rather than to maps and compasses. I now see that there are enough clues for all of the information you need to gather that you never need your map or GPS/HUD. Absolutely incredible. No reviewer has pointed this out, so no one has given credit to the development team for this incredible attention to detail and game design.

It's disappointing and flabbergasting that Ubi doesn't mention anywhere that playing mapless and HUD-less works so perfectly. Not in publicity, not in the manual, not in interviews. Nowhere.

This should have been included as a difficulty setting:
Easy = You can use your HUD (GPS, Sync bar, etc.) and all of your menus (including map)
Normal = You cannot use your HUD, but you can still access all menus (including map)
Hard = No HUD, no map, but still access to other menus (like options and memory log).

Sho Nuff said:
The investigation results should have affected gameplay. If you went out of your way to get all six, those should make the mission easier -- i.e. instead of a shitty map of archers, why not have the archers be visible in some way on your HUD; instead of a map showing where the target will run, why not have that appear as well; if you learn he has a weakness, have certain weapon attacks do a little more damage.
The investigations are vital. As I'm now understanding, if you play this game without map and HUD, this game is all about investigative skill. There are no shortcuts. Some information you gather gives you options and suggestions about how to do a particular assassination. I've found that there's usually 3-4 different ways to enter a building (blending, scaling, fighting, or alternate entrance). Some information is simply plot. This game has a very intricate story, so that information is very valuable to the overall experience.

Phthisis

Sandman42 said:
The most hilarious thing happened to me at the docks. A crazy drunken sailor was roaming around in an empty boat and when he saw me throw a knife at a guard on a tower above. The drunk then went into "run away mode" and started yelling for his life and running. The only problem was; the boat was surrounded by water. The only way out was to jump across the poles sticking out of the water like a master ninja.

The drunken sailor, who looked like he couldn't stand up moments before, jumped across each stump with expert precision and managed to free-run to safety. The most hilarious thing I've ever seen. :lol

:lol

I had a sailor try and push me once, and he missed and went right over the gunwales into the drink.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
conman, thanks for the discovery posts.

Gonna go play some now. I actually went back and completed all investigations for an earlier assassination (Garnier). I'm kinda sad this game will end.

But I guess it's alright. I can always replay it total purist style later, after I've finished a stack of other games.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I played HUD'less for a while on my parents new 65" DLP :D :D :D and its fucken fantastic. The HUD elements really take away from the beautiful vistas of the game, you tend to not appreciate what your exactly looking at when your always referencing to a HUD.

The game also feels very much more like an Assassination Simulator. Aside from the logs you need to look at, your pretty much relying on Sight and Sound to guide you. Awesome stuff.

Edit: It would have been a nice touch if Ubi put in a sort of Difficulty selector at the beginning of the game. It would essentially turn off the HUD (which you can obviously do yourself) but it would make it more appearent that this is an alternate way to play the game. Sort of like a true Simulator mode or something (for those looking for a challenge!)

Sho Nuff

Banned
When you hit an enemy and he goes into a stagger where he's vulernable, WHY THE FUCK does the autotargeting system CHANGE FOCUS TO SOMEONE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SO YOU CAN'T HIT THE GUY WHO YOU JUST STAGGERED?

Jesus christ, this game is good, but there is some god damn stupid shit in here

Top Bottom