• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (PSP) Import thread of Convoluted Nonsense

GhaleonQ

Kingsora said:
If they can localize Final Fantasy XIII for US AND Europe (a console game!!) in less than 3 months, they should be able to localize BBS just as fast, right??

But then again I wouldn't be too surprised if they wait till summer so that they can give BBS some attention at E3 :(

They had all of their staff working on it through development.

Right, time to spoil myself shitless!!

Has the Ven connection been solidly made to Sora in some way yet or is that still a MYSTERY?

Edit: This secret ending doesn't shed light on it either. And the Terra stuff was completely obvious from the first trailers anyway so that hasn't wrecked my brain yet.

But the Ven stuff. I must know it. Break my brain!!

LALILULELO

Neo Member
great OP!..

After seeing commercials on the TV constantly (and hearing the official song EVERYWHERE) here, I was wondering if any western fan would take anything of this game serious, thank you OP I never imagined such a great and to the point offical thread! :D

and now Im outta here, not a KH player.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
SecretBonusPoint said:
Right, time to spoil myself shitless!!

Has the Ven connection been solidly made to Sora in some way yet or is that still a MYSTERY?

Edit: This secret ending doesn't shed light on it either. And the Terra stuff was completely obvious from the first trailers anyway so that hasn't wrecked my brain yet.

But the Ven stuff. I must know it. Break my brain!!
Yeah, it's been explained for the most part.

Jangaroo

SecretBonusPoint said:
Spoil meeeeeee. This is where the real convoluted shit begins!
Apparently Ventus and Vanitas are connected to Sora's heart or something. Ventus and Vanitas are connected to Sora, with Ventus being light and Vanitas being dark. That's why Ventus resembles Roxas, who's connected to Sora and Vanitas looks like Sora except with black hair underneath the mask. It's really stupid to be honest, considering how there's been like 5 different replicas of Sora running around in the series. There's some other spoilerish stuff but I don't know if you want to know any more than what I've posted. Some real convoluted stuff going on. Edit: To make things simple, Ventus and Vanitas are basically clones of Sora.

Sydle

OP is spot on.

I'm curious about it because I loved the first game, but holy fuck at KH2 being such a disaster.

hamchan

Even though it's all bullshit I still get excited when crazy stuff happens and the plot ends up more complicated, it's interesting and part of why I love the series so much.

Even better is reading these super long essay posts on KH forums about people's theories for the future plot and the flame wars that are started over them.

Jangaroo said:
Apparently Ventus and Vanitas are connected to Sora's heart or something. Ventus and Vanitas are connected to Sora, with Ventus being light and Vanitas being dark. That's why Ventus resembles Roxas, who's connected to Sora and Vanitas looks like Sora except with black hair underneath the mask. It's really stupid to be honest, considering how there's been like 5 different replicas of Sora running around in the series. There's some other spoilerish stuff but I don't know if you want to know any more than what I've posted. Some real convoluted stuff going on. Edit: To make things simple, Ventus and Vanitas are basically clones of Sora.

But...what. How does that even work?!

How can they even be clones of Sora if he hasn't even reached that age and nobody even seems to know about him at all. So theyre not blood related or anything? How was Ventus 'born'? How did he appear? Or is that all still left a complete mystery?

This makes or breaks it from me from being "funny shit" to just "overwhelmingly shit with no actual explanation this time". I want to know it all, I want to get my "what the shit" reactions so I can enjoy the game when it rolls around Q3/Q4 :D

Jangaroo

SecretBonusPoint said:
But...what. How does that even work?!

How can they even be clones of Sora if he hasn't even reached that age and nobody even seems to know about him at all. So theyre not blood related or anything? How was Ventus 'born'? How did he appear? Or is that all still left a complete mystery?

This makes or breaks it from me from being "funny shit" to just "overwhelmingly shit with no actual explanation this time". I want to know it all, I want to get my "what the shit" reactions so I can enjoy the game when it rolls around Q3/Q4 :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtFL_Ivb20s
Watch that, it should clear things up a little bit. Edit: Actually, that seems even more confusing.
Master Xehanort made a copy of Sora using his light resulting in Ventus. That's all we know as of right now since nobody really translated the script yet.
Edit spoiler: Some guy on gamefaqs simplified things here.
MX knew about Sora being the chosen one, and made Ven(who is his light) from that.
He probably couldn't wait for Sora to grow up and had to make Ven for his plan.
Then he made Vanitas from Ven's darkness.

Otheradam said:
So... is the story in KH more convoluted than the MGS series now?
Not quite there, but almost.

Jangaroo

duckroll said:
That's bullshit. Starting with KH CoM, the series officially became more contrived and overcomplicated than MGS.
I've managed to figure out the series for the most part. MGS on the other hand, still confuses the shit out out of me. I honestly don't know what the hell was going on in regards to MGS4 starting around Act 3. And don't get me started on MGS2.

Jangaroo said:
Not quite there, but almost.

MGS is much more bloated in terms of stuff that you need to take in (the lore, so to speak) but what's actually there isn't really complicated imo, there's just a lot of it.
KH seems to be concentrated on a few characters but is really hard to follow.

I consider KH less convoluted, if only because they don't need hour long cutscenes to explain things, but the plot points are a good bit dumber

duckroll

Jangaroo said:
I've managed to figure out the series for the most part. MGS on the other hand, still confuses the shit out out of me. I honestly don't know what the hell was going on in regards to MGS4 starting around Act 3. And don't get me started on MGS2.

MGS really isn't confusing at all to me. It also has like half the number of characters that KH has at this point. :p

Jangaroo

BlazingDarkness said:
MGS is much more bloated in terms of stuff that you need to take in (the lore, so to speak) but what's actually there isn't really complicated imo, there's just a lot of it.
KH seems to be concentrated on a few characters but is really hard to follow.
I guess that'd be a good way of explaining things. That still doesn't excuse KH from having a really shitty plot. I still don't know why I bother even trying to keep up with the series.

duckroll

Yeah I definitely agree that many MGS plot points are straight out cheesy and/or dumb. That's not the same as being completely..... incomprehensible though. I dare ANYONE to answer this question with accuracy: What is Kingdom Hearts? :)

duckroll said:
MGS really isn't confusing at all to me. It also has like half the number of characters that KH has at this point. :p

Kingdom Hearts doesn't pretend to be science fiction, it's blatantly fantasy. So it's easy to take in as that.

Kingdom Hearts isn't confusing people. Pay attention to the bloody cutscenes in each game and you'll understand them.

duckroll said:
YWhat is Kingdom Hearts? :)

Kingdom Hearts is the heart of the universe. When things die, their hearts go to Kingdom Hearts.

duckroll

PataHikari said:
Kingdom Hearts doesn't pretend to be science fiction, it's blatantly fantasy. So it's easy to take in as that.

Kingdom Hearts isn't confusing people. Pay attention to the bloody cutscenes in each game and you'll understand them.

Haha! Very funny! :lol

Jangaroo

duckroll said:
Yeah I definitely agree that many MGS plot points are straight out cheesy and/or dumb. That's not the same as being completely..... incomprehensible though. I dare ANYONE to answer this question with accuracy: What is Kingdom Hearts? :)
Kingdom Hearts is a massive collection of hearts contained within people and the heartless that, when collected resembles a gigantic heart. It contains unfathomable power which would explain why every fucking villain in the series tries to either a)Create it b)Reach it or c)Manipulate it for their own reasons.

Peff

The problem with both series is the teasers they included. Another Side, Another Story and Deep Dive were merely concept videos and the game clearly wasn't planned at that point (since a year later the reveal trailer used a lot of assets from the first game that never made it in the second). The trailer was so successful that they had to make up a plot from there and shoe-horn all the random tidbits and quotes that were there. If this game is the ending of the whole Organization and Xehanort thing (dunno, haven't read the spoilers) then hopefully it'll go back to zero with the next one.

Jangaroo

Peff said:
The problem with both series is the teasers they included. Another Side, Another Story and Deep Dive were merely concept videos and the game clearly wasn't planned at that point (since a year later the reveal trailer used a lot of assets from the first game that never made it in the second). The trailer was so successful that they had to make up a plot from there and shoe-horn all the random tidbits and quotes that were there. If this game is the ending of the whole Organization and Xehanort thing (dunno, haven't read the spoilers) then hopefully it'll go back to zero with the next one.
The latest game still creates a bunch of questions.

Jangaroo

charlequin said:
Whole thing in a nutshell, folks. :lol
:lol In my defense, it'd probably be less confusing if I knew what he was saying. I only know the context of the cutscene due to having spoiled myself already.

duckroll

Jangaroo said:
Kingdom Hearts is a massive collection of hearts contained within people and the heartless that, when collected resembles a gigantic heart. It contains unfathomable power which would explain why every fucking villain in the series tries to either a)Create it b)Reach it or c)Manipulate it for their own reasons.

Is it a place? An object? An idea? The Kingdom Hearts in KH and the one in KH2 are obviously not the same thing. The one in KH is real, while the one in KH2 is fake. If you can just make a fake one, why does anyone need the real one? How did the real one come about? What purpose does it serve other than being some abstract idea presented as the objective of the villains? See, logically, it makes no sense at all to me.

ITT plot spoilers are released without context. People then say they make no sense.

The same thing happened in the previous KH thread, and guess what, it all made sense in context.

duckroll

PataHikari said:
ITT plot spoilers are released without context. People then say they make no sense.

The same thing happened in the previous KH thread, and guess what, it all made sense in context.

Yes, oh great defender of the KH Plotline. :lol

duckroll said:
Yes, oh great defender of the KH Plotline. :lol

I do seem to be the only person who can understand the silly plot to a Disney game. It really is rather sad.

Note, I'm not "defending" the plotline. I'm merely saying it's not some incomprehensible thing

The nuances of actual literature must be beyond you people if Kingdom Hearts stumps you.

Okay wow. So with that Ven bullshit cleared up, thats the absolute lowest point of Nomura's "storytelling" yet. I mean fucking hell if thats not just Deus Ex Machina, thats Evil Twin, Cloning and Xanatos Roulette levels of fucking stupid.

duckroll said:
The one in KH is real, while the one in KH2 is fake.
They're the same one (we don't even actually see Kingdom Hearts in the first game). Xemnas was just overfeeding the real one with hearts in KHII through Roxas, Xion and eventually Sora destroying Heartless for him. All so he could become a God.

Korey

PataHikari said:

I'd really welcome/challenge anyone who disagrees with the OP, and the general consensus of sentiment in this thread, to make a counter-post in the same style (ie with pictures) explaining the story.

duckroll

Crewnh said:
They're the same one (we don't even actually see Kingdom Hearts in the first game). Xemnas was just overfeeding the real one with hearts in KHII through Roxas, Xion and eventually Sora destroying Heartless for him. All so he could become a God.

Really? I thought Xemnas was creating his own Kingdom Hearts because he could not get the real one. If he could wouldn't it already give him enough power to be a god? Why would he need MORE hearts into it? I know we never really saw Kingdom Hearts in the first game, but the assumption was always that Ansem (Xeharnot, whatever) was trying to gain control of the real thing to..... err..... become a god too I suppose. :p

SecretBonusPoint said:
Okay wow. So with that Ven bullshit cleared up, thats the absolute lowest point of Nomura's "storytelling" yet. I mean fucking hell if thats not just Deus Ex Machina, thats Evil Twin, Cloning and Xanatos Roulette levels of fucking stupid.
I disagree, that kind of plot is exactly what the KH fanbase will gobble up. You might think it's stupid but there'll be millions of teenagers enjoying it when they come to play it.
Nomura is a clever guy, he know what his audience wants. If you find it intolerable then you've grown out of KH.

Jangaroo

duckroll said:
Really? I thought Xemnas was creating his own Kingdom Hearts because he could not get the real one. If he could wouldn't it already give him enough power to be a god? Why would he need MORE hearts into it? I know we never really saw Kingdom Hearts in the first game, but the assumption was always that Ansem (Xeharnot, whatever) was trying to gain control of the real thing to..... err..... become a god too I suppose. :p
The one in Kingdom Hearts 2 is fake. Xemnas had artificial heartless created so that with every one being destroyed by Sora, it'd than go on to feed itself into the artificial Kingdom Hearts, thus making it bigger and more powerful. Ansem in the first game wanted the real thing for his dastardly deeds. The one in the second was being created since Sora was the only one with the keyblade capable of sending the hearts of the heartless into the fake Kingdom Hearts.
duckroll said:
Is it a place? An object? An idea? The Kingdom Hearts in KH and the one in KH2 are obviously not the same thing. The one in KH is real, while the one in KH2 is fake. If you can just make a fake one, why does anyone need the real one? How did the real one come about? What purpose does it serve other than being some abstract idea presented as the objective of the villains? See, logically, it makes no sense at all to me.
It's supposed to be an object and a place. It's been described as "a doorway to the heart of all worlds." Honestly, definition of what is Kingdom Hearts has never been the focal point of the plot besides being a somewhat vague, even abstract thing that the villains want.

Hey no, don't get me wrong, I know thats what the KH fanbase want, but if it wasn't the worlds most convoluted storyline already, this game stretches it to a new level of terribad.

Ventus could have been his cousin, his uncle, just...I don't fucking care. But another clone just because? Because someone can see into the fucking future but not far enough it seems?

For those keeping count at home thats 4 and a 1/2 clones
of Sora:

Roxas
Namine (she's the half)
Xion
Ventus
Vanitas

How many more will there be! I bet I've even left one out and forgotten one!

duckroll said:
Yeah, that's what I thought too, until 358/2 Days when Xemnas shows KH to Roxas and Xion, who hadn't even done that much Heartless killing for him. It had to have existed before both of them. Plus IIRC, there was some interview he did that confirmed it but I don't really remember it that well, since it's been so long since KHII and FM+. As for why add more hearts, well I don't know, maybe he just wanted to more. I mean, we aren't talking about him being a God of a world or two, we're talking about an entire multiverse of worlds!

I think the biggest problem with Nomura, isn't really the BS plots (but let's face it, he is BSing constantly), it's the dumbass interviews he has (most fans who don't read them are screwed) where he "attempts" to answer questions related to the plot, which he couldn't be bothered to answer in his games.

duckroll

Jangaroo said:
The one in Kingdom Hearts 2 is fake. Xemnas had artificial heartless created so that with every one being destroyed by Sora, it'd than go on to feed itself into the artificial Kingdom Hearts, thus making it bigger and more powerful. Ansem in the first game wanted the real thing for his dastardly deeds. The one in the second was being created since Sora was the only one with the keyblade capable of sending the hearts of the heartless into the fake Kingdom Hearts.

Right that's how I understood it, until Crewnh told me that they're the same one! See, I understand the story more than he does! I'm ready to start reading Romeo and Juliet! Maybe if I ever figure out what Kingdom Hearts is really supposed to be, I can start understanding Macbeth next! :lol

Jangaroo said:
It's supposed to be an object and a place. It's been described as "a doorway to the heart of all worlds." Honestly, definition of what is Kingdom Hearts has never been the focal point of the plot besides being a somewhat vague, even abstract thing that the villains want.

Sure, I agree it has never been a major focus, it's just the pie in the sky (heart in the sky) that the bad guys want. The point is though, that considering the series is called Kingdom Hearts, the fact that it's kept as some pie in the sky abstract thing, is really kinda lame.

Jangaroo

SecretBonusPoint said:
Hey no, don't get me wrong, I know thats what the KH fanbase want, but if it wasn't the worlds most convoluted storyline already, this game stretches it to a new level of terribad.
Honestly, the main reason why I played the first and second game wasn't for the plot, but for the fact that I could check out and interact with the Disney worlds. I could care less about the rather shitty plot that teens and adolescents seem to latch on to.
I really hate how clones of Sora have become the main point in the latest entries.

Top Bottom