• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden Season 3 League Thread: The Imperial March (to the superbowl!)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Truelize said:
I just wanted to let people know that I noticed yesterday that I could slide with my QB.

hahahaha, SLIDE!

CK, You're Next 9-6 vs 9-6, BROTHER!!

prfile16.jpg

Fifty

Ramirez said:
My last game with Matrix,I forfeit,let 50 in the playoffs,at least he will be having fun.

Let it be known that if Ramirez wins his upcoming game, he is a flop flopper and not to be trusted. Do the right thing! Quit like a man. I've got a nice cabana by the Mediterranean sea where you can relax with Bog and Maverick, while I tire myself playing this piece of shit game.

Fifty

Can you post a jpg of me burning down your home, DM? Throw in a small one of uncle fifty kiling FMT in his sleep and we'll be A-Ok!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Matrix, I will log on at 8 Central, hopefully you can play at that time or even see this message. GAF has been up and down all day for me.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
dskillzhtown said:
Matrix, I will log on at 8 Central, hopefully you can play at that time or even see this message. GAF has been up and down all day for me.

GG man,but geez that lag totally fucked with my game....ughhh I had so much trouble throwing and punting.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Ram,when do you want to play? I can play today but it depends on the time.

Matrix

I can play at 1,I can play anytime before 2 eastern...I have to be done by 2.

I'll go on aim at 1 pm.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Matrix said:
GG man,but geez that lag totally fucked with my game....ughhh I had so much trouble throwing and punting.

Yeah, my FGs were screwed and I pretty much threw every pass a second late because of the lag.

Matrix

Well Ram kicked my ass bigtime...so sorry Fifty,I'm pretty shitty right now with Madden,actually im beyond shitty,my D is just fucking sad.

At this point I'm not 100% positive ill play season 4,unless I pick a real good Def. team.

Slo

Vikings record in GAF seasons 1-3: 24-22-2

Bengals record in GAF seasons 1-3: 11-4

341 yards rushing: Priceless

:D

I KEED I KEED

Fifty

How the hell are you getting so many rushing yards? I don't mind that I'm not in first place anymore, because I have 4 or 5 games that didn't record, but that's just crazy. Is it your blocking, creating huge holes to run through? Is it because of broken tackles? The Vikings rushing game, especially with bennett was shit this year, is this another case of EA cutting the Vikes a good deal ;p

I'll tell you how I do it. Inside runs behind Ogden, combined with plenty of broken tackles, and I like to think a few plays are made because of my skill.

Slo

Remember, the rankings are based off of the 2003 season with speculative adjustments for 2004. We were the #1 rushing offense in the league in 2003 and we added defense in the offseason. So in theory we were going to be much better than we turned out in 2004. Who knew we'd be such crap again? Not EA, apparently. I expect this to be overcorrected in Madden 2006. :-\

My O line is really an enigma. They get destroyed by anybody rated 90+ but pretty much manhandle anybody lower than that. And Jim Kleinsasser helps. He's 100% stud, we really missed him in the 2004 season. Michael Bennett hasn't broken but two or three tackles all year, but he's faster than shit. Bursting into the hole means that my line doesn't have to hold their blocks for long before the DLine has no chance at me, and occasionally Jimmy K. will still be free to take on the safety after I get through the first wave, so I break some nice runs.

Slo

Ramirez said:
Yea,lets see how many games you coulda won with the Bengals ;)

Point taken, I know my place in the Madden food chain. Just wanted to make the point that taking the Vikings hasn't meant "automatic win" in the past. :) And I wanted to twist the knife a little bit, 'cause I'm a bastard liike that. :lol

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Slo said:
Remember, the rankings are based off of the 2003 season with speculative adjustments for 2004. We were the #1 rushing offense in the league in 2003 and we added defense in the offseason. So in theory we were going to be much better than we turned out in 2004. Who knew we'd be such crap again? Not EA, apparently. I expect this to be overcorrected in Madden 2006. :-\

Doubt it, the ratings for each team in each incumbent year is also based on the offseason personnel that were added/removed. As I said in the NFL offseason topic, it looks like the Vikings have the best personnel additions on defense for any team in the offseason. Between Pat Williams, Darren Sharper, and Fred Smoot, all of which are highly rated in Madden 2005, the Vikings will not see a drop off in defensive prowess, but will likely see an increase.

What irks me is that teams that did better overall in terms of defense than the Vikings did in 2003 have shitty ratings. For example, the Vikings are rated 84 on defense, the Jaguars who finished 6th in the league defensively in 2003 are rated 80. The Jets who finished two spots above the Vikings are rated 86. Atlanta who finished DEAD LAST has an 85. My Giants who brought in personnel to bolster their D, finished above the Vikes in 2003 by one slot, and were actually better this season in terms of D were rated 78.

As Dskillz had pointed out to me over AIM one night many moons ago, take notice that the teams that are the overrated ones are the same teams that were most popular in the 2004 Madden Bowl. So now, they're ven better, of course no one is going to use anyone outside of them (the Iggles, Falcons, and Vikings) in Madden Bowl 2005, as we all saw on G4TV.

It's embarrassing, really. Quite sad that EA and Tiburon can't make things fair and balanced but instead they must artificially bolster certain teams and make them more 'fun' to use. It's hard enough to stop the Vikings offense, but it's difficult to defeat them when they have such a good D. Imagine a Colts team with as bulletproof a D as this Vikings team.

Another point I wanted to make, and I think it was made in the Madden 2006 wishlist is that EA/Tiburon is so quick to improve a player but they generally don't knock them down any points. For example, Tiki Barber had a robot grip on the ball and didn't fumble at all for the first portion of the season. His carry stat was promptly boosted from a 68 to an 82. What about, say, Chris McAllister who had a less than stellar season? Nope, still as highly rated as he had been to enter the year.

This is not to take anything away from Slo, of course, he's used the Vikes all this time and it's clear that he has improved, it's just ridiculous when Randy Moss beats top rated secondary playing back and doubling him by 20 yards.

Fifty

Wellington said:
Another point I wanted to make, and I think it was made in the Madden 2006 wishlist is that EA/Tiburon is so quick to improve a player but they generally don't knock them down any points. For example, Tiki Barber had a robot grip on the ball and didn't fumble at all for the first portion of the season. His carry stat was promptly boosted from a 68 to an 82. What about, say, Chris McAllister who had a less than stellar season? Nope, still as highly rated as he had been to enter the year.

That's a very good point. Even I wish they'd knock C Mac's ratings. I love the guy, but he had a very average year. I guess my wish will come true next season :(

----

In anticipation of season 4, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good playbook that has a good mix of deep passes, and tough running plays. Ideally inside runs, with a few counters, normal sets..nothing too fancy, but I want to have plenty of deep passing plays to choose from. If anyone has a suggestion, please pass it on.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I'm really hoping HGplayer and I can get our game in to finish this season.

If anyone sees him on AIM please let him know I want to play.

Playoff Matchups:

Bills @ Vikings
Jaguars @ Seahawks

49ers @ Chiefs
Bengals @ Buccaneers

the only thing that could feasibly change is who gets the home-game (if malley loses his last game, then our game would be played in san fran). other than that these should be set in stone

Rorschach

Slo said:
Indy's playbook is absolute shit. Stay far far away.
Absolutely. Indy's playbook has always been shit. Especially for players that love the short and/or ground games (Go Raiders :D). The whole thing is centered around Manning's arm.

I'm rooting for a Bengals/9ers bowl. :lol

Secretly rooting for a Seahawks future paper championship.

Slo

dskillz, I know that we agreed on tonight, but I don't think I'll be able to make it. Would tommorrow night work for you? Actually, any night would be fine, my plans for the weekend fell through.

Fifty

Since our method of having only one wildcard means the playoffs have to be played outside of the league, it shouldn't matter, and even if FMT tells you otherwise, go against his will! Play your games now!

Slo said:
Indy's playbook is absolute shit. Stay far far away.

Oh I know, when I used them, I switched to the Vikings playbook because Indy had a ridiculous number of 3 WR PA passes. Those work in real life, but it's much harder to fool people in Madden with one.

Ramirez

I tallied everyones total record of the course of all the seasons...

Ramirez-38-8-1 (3 seasons)
DM-37-10 (3 Seasons)
FMT-31-14-1 (3 Seasons)
Fifty-26-20-1 (3 Seasons)
Matrix-21-24-2 (3 Seasons)
MrBob-25-18-4 (3 Seasons)
Wellie-22-23-2 (3 Seasons)
Dskillz-19-26-2 (3 Seasons)
Hg-8-38-1 (3 Seasons)
Slo-15-13-2 (2 Seasons)
Truelize-5-25-1 (2 Seasons)
DJ-7-24 (2 Seasons)
Gunstar-18-13 (2 Seasons)
Malley-10-4 (1 Season)
Lonestar-9-6 (1 Season)
Rors-3-11 (1 Season)

BOG!-0-14 (0 Seasons)

Matrix

Man my record would be so much better if I hadnt used my home team twice :lol

ramirez i will be posting everyones record (including playoff records :D ) on my site soon. oh, whats that? you've had 2 playoff losses in 2 madden seasons? who ended your season both times? :(

LukeSmith

FrenchMovieTheme said:
ramirez i will be posting everyones record (including playoff records :D ) on my site soon. oh, whats that? you've had 2 playoff losses in 2 madden seasons? who ended your season both times? :(

Ramir0wned

and then a hero comes along...
with the strength to carry on...
and you finally see the truth... that a hero lies in you!

THANKS FOR THE WONDERFUL SEASON KEVIN JOHNSON! YOU TRULY ARE THE KING... OF KINGS!

Top Bottom