• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2008 NPD Results

bcn-ron said:
The Conduit will be awesome and will sell awesome and will improve all of our lives.
*Best genre for the controller.
*Violence versus aliens is proven to be greatly compatible with typical male gamers.
*Exclusive to Wii, so no "I'll get the *** version instead".
*One of the frontrunners in tech on the system.

But most importantly, it's third party. If it does decently well, there'll be a reason to bring it up at least once on every other page in every NPD thread for the remainder of the decade.

As much as I would love to believe this, it is one title. Even if it is moderately successful (and I hold out hope it will be) I highly doubt it will do much to spur other third parties towards Wii development, (or dissuade trolls from a trollin') at least more than any of the many other reasons they have anyway. Now if the Conduit, Madworld, Dead Rising CTYD, HoTD Overkill, and other 3rd party games I can't put my finger on right now all have explosive sales out of the gate, that will bode well for Wii. But one title ain't doin shit.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Now if the Conduit, Madworld, Dead Rising CTYD, HoTD Overkill, and other 3rd party games I can't put my finger on right now all have explosive sales out of the gate, that will bode well for Wii. But one title ain't doin shit.
Tales of (Mothership), Sonic and the Black Knight, Monster Hunter 3? Maybe.

I think Conduit and Dead Rising will manage a million while Madworld and HotD will fall safely into the 400-700k range that seems typical of new Wii IPs (Z&W, NMH, Boom Blox, etc. and yes I know HotD is not a new IP). It'll be good enough for Sega and Capcom but probably won't sway any other third parties.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Aaron Strife said:

I think Conduit and Dead Rising will manage a million while Madworld and HotD will fall safely into the 400-700k range that seems typical of new Wii IPs (Z&W, NMH, Boom Blox, etc. and yes I know HotD is not a new IP). It'll be good enough for Sega and Capcom but probably won't sway any other third parties.

Dead Rising hitting a million would be a sales miracle, even more so than Conduit hitting one million

Aaron Strife said:

I think Conduit and Dead Rising will manage a million while Madworld and HotD will fall safely into the 400-700k range that seems typical of new Wii IPs (Z&W, NMH, Boom Blox, etc. and yes I know HotD is not a new IP).

I really don't know about a million for the Conduit. I suppose it could work its way up there, but i'm more thinking in the range of maybe 600K. Japan will hate it, and I'm not convinced the European Wii owners are as FPS starved as North America is.

HK-47 said:
Dead Rising hitting a million would be a sales miracle, even more so than Conduit hitting one million

I think it has a chance worldwide, To be honest. But it ain't doin it NPD alone, no sir.

This is all assuming it turns out better than it currently looks, mind you.

edit: thinking about it, even 600k seems way too much for the Conduit.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Aaron Strife said:

Tales will do well in Japan but not elsewhere, MH3 will anti-bomb in Japan and probably sell well elswhere, probably 3 million when all is said and done. Sonic sells great on Wii and should do a million.

The Conduit will be interesting. It seems to be a quality FPS leveraging the Wii's best qualities, but it's also not a launch game, it's a new IP, and it's from and unknown developer. It all comes down to what Sega does for it.

I think Dead Rising will do 500-800k-ish. It is a couple year-old port, after all. I agree with your MadWorld and HotD, but I really hope HotD sells a million worldwide.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
DeaconKnowledge said:
I really don't know about a million for the Conduit. I suppose it could work its way up there, but i'm more thinking in the range of maybe 600K. Japan will hate it, and I'm not convinced the European Wii owners are as FPS starved as North America is.

I think it has a chance worldwide, To be honest. But it ain't doin it NPD alone, no sir.

This is all assuming it turns out better than it currently looks, mind you.

edit: thinking about it, even 600k seems way too much for the Conduit.

That why I'm doubtful. Dead Rising isnt RE4 in IP strength, and Dead Rising Wii looked really disappointing in TGS footage, and it wasnt the number zombies either. Clipping everywhere, awful animations...really killed it for me

markatisu

Andrex said:
Tales will do well in Japan but not elsewhere, MH3 will anti-bomb in Japan and probably sell well elswhere, probably 3 million when all is said and done. Sonic sells great on Wii and should do a million.

Sonic should sell a load, especially in the UK where a large portion of Sonic and the Secret Rings sales came from

The Conduit will be interesting. It seems to be a quality FPS leveraging the Wii's best qualities, but it's also not a launch game, it's a new IP, and it's from and unknown developer. It all comes down to what Sega does for it.

If Sega pays the $$$ to advertise and promote it then we all may be surprised

All this is hypothetical because we have yet to see a big budget (advertising included) third party Wii game, until we see one we cannot know how things will shape up

markatisu said:
Sonic should sell a load, especially in the UK where a large portion of Sonic and the Secret Rings sales came from

If Sega pays the $$$ to advertise and promote it then we all may be surprised

All this is hypothetical because we have yet to see a big budget (advertising included) third party Wii game, until we see one we cannot know how things will shape up

Well, the Conduit already has one thing going for it; almost any game so much as acknowledged by Nintendo seems to do well, and apparently Nintendo was just shy of publishing the game.

Don't get me wrong, I want the Conduit to succeed and be the benchmark for what can and should be done with the Wii, both in graphical effort as well as focus, but it has a long road to travel. The great thing about it though is if it succeeds, it will transform High Voltage into superstars overnight.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DeaconKnowledge said:
Well, the Conduit already has one thing going for it; almost any game so much as acknowledged by Nintendo seems to do well, and apparently Nintendo was just shy of publishing the game.

Don't get me wrong, I want the Conduit to succeed and be the benchmark for what can and should be done with the Wii, both in graphical effort as well as focus, but it has a long road to travel. The great thing about it though is if it succeeds, it will transform High Voltage into superstars overnight.

HVS becomes the new Bungie? :p

Andrex said:
HVS becomes the new Rockstar? :p

Fixed.

DMA Design was good (Space Station Silicon Valley was apparently a precursor to the greatness that was GTA) but their efforts went largely unnoticed.

I think that's the closest comparison I could probably make. Though to be fair Rockstar didn't really blow up until GTA3.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I think that HVS are trying to make a really good looking game to try to sell their engine to other developers.

So that would make them the new Epic...

manueldelalas said:
I think that HVS are trying to make a really good looking game to try to sell their engine to other developers.

Don't Forget Animal de La Muertes.

I just think HVS is a company that sees the lane to success open and unguarded.

markatisu

manueldelalas said:

Exactly, I see HVS as trying to do for the Wii what EPIC has done for the HD Twins

Its clear that a lot of developers dont know what the hell they are doing as Gamecube games look 10x better than a lot of Wii efforts, not to mention online features or controls (Conduit is using some of the most advanced options available on the Wii for control, a step up from MP3 and MOHH2 for sure)

Of course if it bombs then we are back to square one

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
DeaconKnowledge said:
Fixed.

DMA Design was good (Space Station Silicon Valley was apparently a precursor to the greatness that was GTA) but their efforts went largely unnoticed.

I think that's the closest comparison I could probably make. Though to be fair Rockstar didn't really blow up until GTA3.

That wasnt SSSV, that was Body Harvest

Pancakes R Us said:
I still don't see it, even if this happened. The Wii market is very different...those 30+ million Wii owners, not all of them are like you and me who would pick up top brass like MGS4 et al. Sure, there'd be a regular few hundred thousand or even a million...but more of those gamers own a 360 right now. And you know what? I am actually glad that Wii does not have this market tied down. The very last thing I want to see this generation is one manufacturer holding all others by the balls, like Sony did last gen. I think it's a lot better off for us as consumers, competition wise, to have the split we have now.
See, that's the thing. Just by sheer size alone, Wii should dominate those userbases in time. In a year probably.

xbhaskarx

October was not nearly as kind to the third instrument-based rhythm game released during the month, Rock Revolution. According to NPD figures, Konami's critically savaged game sold less than 3,000 units across the entirety of the country during the month. According to the data, the game sold 1,442 for the 360, 816 for the PS3, 666 for the DS, and only two copies for the Wii.

Two copies? That can't be right, can it?
If so, Rock Revolution Wii is the Zyzzyx Road of gaming.

xbhaskarx said:
Two copies? That can't be right, can it?
If so, Rock Revolution Wii is the Zyzzyx Road of gaming.
The game was released later for the Wii, and these two copies sold was the result of someone selling them early. Alternatively, third parties don't sell on the Wii!
I know I already said it

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The Conduit is most certainly going to bomb.
It's relatively unknown outside message boards, which mostly know it as a small budget title made by a small developer (aka "near-shovelware" for your average poster, regardless of its actual quality).
Add hideous art direction and little-to-no marketing push, and you have a perfect recipe for disaster. I'd like to be proved wrong, since High Voltage is trying really hard to make a good product, but I'm afraid I am not.

SLYspyda

Banned
Jocchan said:
The Conduit is most certainly going to bomb.
It's relatively unknown outside message boards, which mostly know it as a small budget title made by a small developer (aka "near-shovelware" for your average poster, regardless of its actual quality).
Add hideous art direction and little-to-no marketing push, and you have a perfect recipe for disaster. I'd like to be proved wrong, since High Voltage is trying really hard to make a good product, but I'm afraid I am not.

They've done a good job marketing the game online so far......even though it's still MONTHS from release.

You can't comment on marketing when it's not even crunch time yet. I expect to see plenty of tv trailers for the game.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
AniHawk said:
Why is this NPD thread so big? They've been kinda declining for a while.

Sony going third party confirmed, Microsoft holding the second place in console race, Nintendo probably going out of stock again next month and shattering all records.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
SLYspyda said:
They've done a good job marketing the game online so far......even though it's still MONTHS from release.

You can't comment on marketing when it's not even crunch time yet. I expect to see plenty of tv trailers for the game.
Yes, it may be a little early, but I wouldn't say they've done a good job marketing the game online yet. Besides IGN, the game got little coverage and it's still heavily downplayed around message boards (and unknown outside them), both artistically and technically.
If they want the game to succeed, they need to raise consumer awareness with some decent marketing push, and stressing out the fact the game is (supposedly) entertaining and fun to play might be way more useful than simply showing anonymous alien-shooting footage on TV (especially when the next ad will most certainly be showing a better looking PS360 game with much higher production values, so focusing on the tech alone wouldn't be enough to buy people's interest).

Rolf NB

AniHawk said:
Worst showing for PS3 in a long while. Only in Oct 07 was it outsold by bigger margins (against both Xbox 360 and Wii).

kinggroin

Banned
Jocchan said:
Yes, it may be a little early, but I wouldn't say they've done a good job marketing the game online yet. Besides IGN, the game got little coverage and it's still heavily downplayed around message boards (and unknown outside them), both artistically and technically.
If they want the game to succeed, they need to raise consumer awareness with some decent marketing push, and stressing out the fact the game is (supposedly) entertaining and fun to play might be way more useful than simply showing anonymous alien-shooting footage on TV (especially when the next ad will most certainly be showing a better looking PS360 game with much higher production values, so focusing on the tech alone wouldn't be enough to buy people's interest).

Agreed.

Even just straight-up advertising for the game isn't going to cut it. Conduit looks incredibly generic regardless the plaform (that's saying nothing of it's gameplay of course), and the marketing for this game will have to be what the artstyle isn't - creative.

Goodluck to Sega and HVS. I'd really love to see them smash this outta the park, but I'm on the side of believing this won't even break whatever top 10 chart of the month it's released in.

Rolf NB

Jocchan said:
Core gamers stuck with a Wii are the audience they have to reach, and they will reach it. Heck, even though I have a PS3 as well, The Conduit seems stylistically separate enough that I don't feel like I could easily replace it by buying PS3 Shooter X. It's a sub-niche of sci-fi that I don't see served right now. Maybe Alien Syndrome, but that's supposed to be really terrible (and isn't an fps).

donny2112

kinggroin said:
I'm on the side of believing this won't even break whatever top 10 chart of the month it's released in.

Should be Top 5, assuming that it releases in the Spring.

bcn-ron said:
Core gamers stuck with a Wii are the audience they have to reach, and they will reach it.

Pretty much. There is a significant core audience on the Wii in the U.S. (a good portion of those carried over from the GameCube), and similar to Tales of Symphonia, they'll buy The Conduit as a statement game to publishers. "This is what you should be doing and not 'Horses and Me'." It won't hurt that it'll be also riding on whatever wave Wii Motion+ will be bringing, at the same time. In that sense, it could have some "launch sale"-like qualities.

Regardless, SEGA is in a good position, even if they do almost nothing, but as they have a vested interest in stirring up the core audience on Wii (HotD:Overkill and MadWorld, incoming), I suspect/hope they'll actually put the effort into getting the word out to the non-internet crowd by launch. ;)

Haunted

AniHawk said:
cue your PS3fuckedgraph.jpg

PS3 fans being especially bitter and Wii fans being especially elevated by this record month led to quite a few pages of vicious infighting.

Good times.

Spiegel

Haunted said:
cue your PS3fuckedgraph.jpg

PS3 fans being especially bitter and Wii fans being especially elevated by this record month led to quite a few pages of vicious infighting.

Good times.

Yep

HK-47 86
Haunted 59
Private Hoffman 54
Speevy 47
BishopLamont 47

AniHawk

bcn-ron said:
Worst showing for PS3 in a long while. Only in Oct 07 was it outsold by bigger margins (against both Xbox 360 and Wii).
Shouldn't all the PS3 fanboys be playing Valkyria Chronicles? THERE'S AN AWESOME GAME ON YOUR SYSTEM. GO PLAY IT!

NOW GOD DAMMIT

AniHawk said:
Shouldn't all the PS3 fanboys be playing Valkyria Chronicles? THERE'S AN AWESOME GAME ON YOUR SYSTEM. GO PLAY IT!

NOW GOD DAMMIT
Sadly, the urge to defend their system and spin a good outcome for it trumps the actual use of the system itself. It gets worse the less popular their system of choice gets.

As you know, last gen, it was the Nintendo fans doing the same thing.

LOcKY

I guess all nintendo fans deserve being on top as it was some hellish years at gaming-age forums back in the day when Sony was king. They had to put up with all the Sony fanboys kicking dirt in their faces but now the roles are reversed.

Just endure and maybe one day you can return the favour....

remember the 3 year cycle curse ;)

AniHawk

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Sadly, the urge to defend their system and spin a good outcome for it trumps the actual use of the system itself. It gets worse the less popular their system of choice gets.

No I was- I mean uh,

Fuck.

Spiegel said:
Yep

HK-47 86
Haunted 59
Private Hoffman 54
Speevy 47
BishopLamont 47
I demand a recount!

viciouskillersquirrel said:

You should know better then that by now.

Parl said:
:lol Glad someone got it.

Haunted

Spiegel said:
Yep

HK-47 86
Haunted 59
Private Hoffman 54
Speevy 47
BishopLamont 47
well played. :lol

I didn't fan the flames, I just wanted to bask in the warmth of the fire, honest!

manueldelalas said:
Sony going third party confirmed, Microsoft holding the second place in console race, Nintendo probably going out of stock again next month and shattering all records.
I can never see Sony, the hardware company going 3rd party.

egocrata

Banned
What I find really mind-blowing is the insane amount of software that Nintendo sells. No one nurses, takes care, and unleashes their IPs (new and old) like Nintendo.

It is a really, really well run company. Just amazingly run.

egocrata said:
What I find really mind-blowing is the insane amount of software that Nintendo sells. No one nurses, takes care, and unleashes their IPs (new and old) like Nintendo.

It is a really, really well run company. Just amazingly run.

Because they're purely a gaming company. They need to be always on the top of their game.

Parl

shykyoichi said:
Because they're purely a gaming company. They need to be always on the top of their game.
I wouldn't say that's the ultimate reason. Pretty much all of these third parties are purely gaming companies.

Top Bottom