• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PAL PLAYSTATION®3 Launch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
DefectiveReject said:
capturerb8.jpg

I love this Windows Vista snipping tool!!

Meh. My bundle may be coming later, but it is inherently superior, due to not including Click, Genji or a hideously overpriced HDMI cable (even if it is free). :D

Edit: Oooh...

Amazon said:
Items dispatching soon:
Delivery estimate: 22 Mar 2007 - 23 Mar 2007
* 1 of: Sony PlayStation 3 Console (60GB Premium Version)

iapetus said:
Meh. My bundle may be coming later, but it is inherently superior, due to not including Click, Genji or a hideously overpriced HDMI cable (even if it is free). :D

-----
RRP: £614.94 You save: £89.95 (14%), i love Adam Sandler, and i need another HDMI cable!! Genji gets traded in on Saturday at GAME!! GAME's online bundles sucked ass!!
Edit: Oooh...
Seem's like today is the day for mass shipments!!!!

nofi

My wee brother's the manager of a GAME store down south and they set up the in-store pods today. Within minutes of Motorstorm being on he had 10 pre-orders. All of which he can promise for Friday, mind, but that's not the point - things will pick up once the general public can get their hands on them.

I considered placing an order with Argos for a PS3 today. You can pay £425 split into payments of around £70 over 6 months (0% interest).

But this is gonna have to wait until after my sister's wedding I feel..

You know how I earlier said that you cannot get online with a PAL PS3 running an USA version of Resistance....well right now that the PAL online service has started, instead of telling me "user not found" etc when you click Multiplayer, Online in the game, it actually goes into the Online menu and you can set up games and find games. I cant find a game, which would make me think that despite being an US copy, it is trying to find other PAL players, which would make sense. I was using an PAL PSN account.

Interesting...

Midas

RiotPelaaja said:
You know how I earlier said that you cannot get online with a PAL PS3 running an USA version of Resistance....well right now that the PAL online service has started, instead of telling me "user not found" etc when you click Multiplayer, Online in the game, it actually goes into the Online menu and you can set up games and find games. I cant find a game, which would make me think that despite being an US copy, it is trying to find other PAL players, which would make sense. I was using an PAL PSN account.

Interesting...

*HAPPY DANCE*

I hope it's looking for PAL players. That would mean cheaper Resistance for me!

Forsete

Gold Member
We know how Resistance works. The software on the disc is the same for all regions (all regions on one disc). It checks to see what hardware you are using, NTSC US/C, NTSC Japan or PAL.
If it finds a US/C system it checks for North American servers. So yes, it is looking for PAL games.

The new patch will unlock global gameplay. So GAF only needs one global clan. :D

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Some details about the PS3 launch in Israel if anyone cares:
Console will cost 4400 ILS (977$USD)
Games will be 450 ILS (about 100$USD)
Yishpar (Sony's distributer in Israel) said that they are expecting to sell 15k units until the end of the year.
16 Launch games, Nothing's translated (including the system) and all the games are just UK copies.
Some sales info (first time anything like this was revealed in israel): 250,000 units of PSP, PS1 and PS2 combined in their lifetime, PSP with 20,000 currently.

In a different note a Newpan rep said that the 360 is expected to launch this year in Israel.

Dave1988

KimiSan said:
Some details about the PS3 launch in Israel if anyone cares:
Console will cost 4400 ILS (977$USD)
Games will be 450 ILS (about 100$USD)
Yishpar (Sony's distributer in Israel) said that they are expecting to sell 15k units until the end of the year.
16 Launch games, Nothing's translated (including the system) and all the games are just UK copies.
Some sales info (first time anything like this was revealed in israel): 250,000 units of PSP, PS1 and PS2 combined in their lifetime, PSP with 20,000 currently.

In a different note a Newpan rep said that the 360 is expected to launch this year in Israel.

Wow....just wow. Is it really that hard to sell consoles in Israel?

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Dave1988 said:
Wow....just wow. Is it really that hard to sell consoles in Israel?
Not really, it's just that as you see everything is pretty expansive.
...and that there's absolutely no marketing whatsoever, videogames are still treated like a kids hobby, and not many kids even play videogames because the awareness is so weak because the only console we have is the PS2 and with the crazy prices and no marketing or translations or anything.. yeah.
It's pretty messed up, they can probably sell like 5 times that if they really tried.

Elios83

ganja said:
http://www.mediaworld.it/promozioni/ps/index.html

Ps3 available tomorrow in Italy! Other european country ownzoreeeeeed!!1!!:lol :lol

Aahaha this is crazy and amazing at the same time.
A single retailer (Mediaworld) in Italy has announced this evening that their customers deserve to have the console earlier as a gift, that would mean PS3 will be available from tomorrow at 9:00 AM.
Then caused a domino effect, all the other retailers are now selling the console starting from tomorrow morning :D :D
Really unexpected but nevertheless fun for us italian customers :lol :lol :lol I wonder what's Sony's opinion about this although retailers probably don't even care to know it ^_^ :p

mxz

I'm currently in Melbourne. Going to grab my camera and go past JB HI-FI on Bourke St and EB GAMES on Elizabeth St on Friday afternoon/evening to see if there's anything going on.

Wollan

Got a pic from the X360 launch @ EB in Elizabeth street:

Au360launch.jpg

There were more employees there than there was customers though I heard that a handful had gone of to eat since the units were secured.

Forsete

Gold Member
It seems swedes dont pay any 25% VAT on PSS items.

Tekken DR is 9.99EUR, when buying from the Swedish PSS they charge you only 90 Kr. :)
When I buying games on STEAM they charge me 25% VAT.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I just tried the PS3 controller: it feels much more confortable to hold than the PS2 Dual Shock. Do PS3 owners confirm this impression?

Midas

I thought 720p in PAL countries was identical with the US 720p, so even though they make a new "format", they don't make it unversial? How stupid.

Wollan

You're misunderstanding. 720p and above ARE universal. It's just that the 480p resolution is missing apparently. Nothing HD owners need to worry about (or SD owners unless 60hz is important, which was also mentioned in the bc list).

SpokkX

Every "HD Ready" in EU TV can display 720p in 50hz or 60hz.

So there is no reason going for the laggier (less frames per second) 50hz mode.

Can someone check if 60hz is an option in PAL PS3 running HDMI/720p? Also what happens when you run a US games? Then it must switch to 60hz at least..or else there will be sync problems (jerkiness)

antiloop

Forsete said:
It seems swedes dont pay any 25% VAT on PSS items.

Tekken DR is 9.99EUR, when buying from the Swedish PSS they charge you only 90 Kr. :)
When I buying games on STEAM they charge me 25% VAT.

I wonder how they did that. Oh well I wont complain.

Wollan

I'm not sure why you think 60hz is missing for HDTV resolutions, as you said every HD Ready tv supports 50/60 but I doubt every 480p sdtv supports 60?

SpokkX

Wollan said:
I'm not sure why you think 60hz is missing for HDTV resolutions.

If 60hz is missing from SD resolutions (apparently it is, only 576i/50hz is selectable)

->

Then the PAL games could be designed for 50hz only

->

Hence the question if the Ps3 support 60hz in 720p and 1080i

SpokkX

Wollan said:
Are all progressive scan SD tv's able to run 60hz?

Progressive scan SD, are there even such TV:s in Europe? Whatever really, this is not important.

What is important is knowing if the PAL PS3 runs HD-games (720p/1080i) in 60hz or not?

Wollan

I guess we won't know before tomorrow but I think that would be totally meaningless to drop 60hz especially as the competition runs 720p at 60hz (in PAL territories).

Midas

SpokkX said:
Progressive scan SD, are there even such TV:s in Europe? Whatever really, this is not important.

What is important is knowing if the PAL PS3 runs HD-games (720p/1080i) in 60hz or not?

Yep, I have one of those TV sets.

SpokkX

Lots of people have PAL Ps3:s already. Would be nice if someone tried... the TV should report if it is displaying in 50 or 60hz when running 720p

If PAL PS3-games always run in 50hz (even in 720p and 1080i) I will buy imports at launch I think..

This is a post from DeanoC (programmer in Heavenly Sword) on Beyond3D:

PAL-PS3 support SD-PAL (50Hz 576i), SD-NTSC (60Hz 480i) and HD 60Hz (doesn't support 50Hz HD but not a problem as HD-Ready in Europe supports both).

Don't know about emulation etc. that just for proper PS3 titles.

Apocryphon

TheGuardian said:
This is a post from DeanoC (programmer in Heavenly Sword) on Beyond3D:

No, i checked a retail unit with composite cables yesterday and there was no 480i60 option. That's why i asked.

Only 576i was selectable.

Forsete

Gold Member
Congrats. :D

My console just shipped, so I'll get it on friday. Though I'll be tracking it, so if it arrives earlier I'll go pick it up. ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom