• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PAL PLAYSTATION®3 Launch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So. How do I connect a keyboard or mouse to the PS3. Via Bluetooth? Anyone got some recommendations for a nice set? (max ~80euro)

Is Gripshift a port of the PSP game or does it contain completely new levels/cars/modes?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
FoxhoundNL said:
So. How do I connect a keyboard or mouse to the PS3. Via Bluetooth? Anyone got some recommendations for a nice set? (max ~80euro)

You can wirelessly connect via USB also. I use a lower-end Microsoft set. You plug the receiver in via USB, et voila, it works. Typically Bluetooth sets tend to be more expensive, at least where I am.

jamesx1981 said:
If Tekken:DR is 10 GBP then it will go down as one of the biggest gaming bargains in history.

It should be €10, judging by the press release. There are reports that the upper end of the range in the UK will be £6 during this 'introductory period', meaning Tekken would be that price, but I'm not sure if that's confirmed yet. Some journalists might just be assuming based on rough currency conversions.

pswii60 said:
Sony have just confirmed that they will be releasing first party games in the UK with an RRP of £39.99 - compared to first party games RRP of £44.99 (the article is incorrect) on 360.

Will be interesting to see if third parties follow suit - on 360 third party games still have RRPs of £49.99.

Still, 360 games can all be picked up for £39.99 or less in Tesco/HMV/anywhere online. In fact, Crackdown is £37.99 in Tescos. So perhaps MS are already following suit in a pre-emptive strike?

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23047

I was looking at GAME's website, and they have PS3 3rd-party software listed at £49.99. I am glad you can now get new 360 games for £40 most places now, I feel ****ing violated paying £50 for a video game. I hope that you will be able to get 3rd-party PS3 games for £40, at least online if not in stores.

gofreak said:
You can wirelessly connect via USB also. I use a lower-end Microsoft set. You plug the receiver in via USB, et voila, it works. Typically Bluetooth sets tend to be more expensive, at least where I am.
Am I able to you use EVERY keyboard there is or does it have to be PS3 compatible, thanks.

I hope that you will be able to get 3rd-party PS3 games for £40, at least online if not in stores.
Play.com has got PS3 games listed at £40,- w/ free delivery worldwide too.

Another question: Is Gripshift a port of the PSP game or does it contain completely new levels/cars/modes?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
FoxhoundNL said:
Am I able to you use EVERY keyboard there is or does it have to be PS3 compatible, thanks.

Well, they don't say if they're PS3 compatible on the box :/ I took a chance getting mine, and it worked. I've seen others saying they're using logitechs aswell, so I'd say at the very least you'd be safe with a logitech or microsoft set. It's quite possible they'd all work, but those are the brands that seem most frequently used.

Kolgar

gofreak said:
Well, they don't say if they're PS3 compatible on the box :/ I took a chance getting mine, and it worked. I've seen others saying they're using logitechs aswell, so I'd say at the very least you'd be safe with a logitech or microsoft set. It's quite possible they'd all work, but those are the brands that seem most frequently used.

I suspect PS3 works with a lot of wireless keyboards. I had a spare keyboard and mouse lying around from an older HP computer and boom, it worked.

FoxhoundNL said:
Another question: Is Gripshift a port of the PSP game or does it contain completely new levels/cars/modes?

It's a port with more levels. There are more than 125 in the PS3 version. No track editor though.

Even though I'm in the US, I just got a PS3 yesterday and am loving it.:D

One question I had though is if anyone has had problems with component cables? Mine have this really weird yet slight interference going on and they can't display red colors correctly. Doesn't really matter anyways since I just ordered a HDMI cable from monoprice but it's still odd.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
number1jagsfan said:
I was looking at GAME's website, and they have PS3 3rd-party software listed at £49.99. I am glad you can now get new 360 games for £40 most places now, I feel ****ing violated paying £50 for a video game. I hope that you will be able to get 3rd-party PS3 games for £40, at least online if not in stores.

Next gen software seems to be settling in at £39.99, with PS2 games at £29.99. Only the occasional EA 360 game seems to try it on at £49.99

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I don't want a PS3. That's what I'm trying to tell myself. I just gotta get through that first launch hype, and I think I'll be fine, at least for a while.

But when night comes..

8Ox890.jpg

Damn, I'm scared :(

Sega communicates that four of its five PS3 games will support 1080p; the distribution takes place to 23.03.07:

- Virtua Tennis 3
- Virtua Fighter 5
- Full Auto 2: Battlelines
- World Snooker Championship 2007

gamefront.de

I noticed a couple of people saying they hope their router will work with the PS3. Should I be worried about this? I don't want to run a cable through the house.

Midas

Tekken at 10 €? That would've been awesome. But I wonder how Nordisk Film will raise the price for their nordic customers. :lol

60 € for Sonys games is really nice. Weird that price at Play is 62 € tough, maybe it'll change later.

Forsete

Gold Member
Midas said:
Tekken at 10 €? That would've been awesome. But I wonder how Nordisk Film will raise the price for their nordic customers. :lol

60 € for Sonys games is really nice. Weird that price at Play is 62 € tough, maybe it'll change later.

I kind of doubt NF has anything to do with online content. I bet it goes directly through SCEE, only filter being the translated website. :)

Midas

Forsete said:
I kind of doubt NF has anything to do with online content. I bet it goes directly through SCEE, only filter being the translated website. :)

Hopefully... But I'm not holding my breath! :p

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ItsInMyVeins said:
I don't want a PS3. That's what I'm trying to tell myself. I just gotta get through that first launch hype, and I think I'll be fine, at least for a while.

But when night comes..

8Ox890.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

careksims

ItsInMyVeins said:

But when night comes..

8Ox890.jpg

He was doing that to me in Feb and I gave in X_x.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
FoxhoundNL said:

For the most part its a port with

- new and remixed levels which include wider track pieces and barriers
- better handling and more responsive controls, higher top end speed
- online multiplayer Race Mode and online leaderboards/rankings for Challenge Mode goals
- improved graphics at 720p 60fps, more skyboxes, nighttime lighting
- expanded soundtrack to 38 different music tracks plus playlist control
- bonus games and Track Editor removed (looking to make available at a later date)

Also, from the Official GripShift thread

"Update on improvements for Euro release

- localization done including multiple foreign languages and PAL resolution support
- loading time optimizations which have resulted in much shorter loads in most circumstances
- ability to change/customize car, select level, change controls, and change music from within a level
- browsable scoreboards including viewing from menus rather than level complete screen, jumping straight to your position, and now with car type and number of resets info per entry displayed
- some changes to online connectivity to make it easier and more obvious how to connect with other people (and Euro vs NA play should also be possible)
- various other minor usability improvements and changes

These changes will feature in the GripShift PS3 Euro release. I don't yet have details of when these changes will get rolled back over the US version or the exact mechanism that will enable an update (patch or redownload), but hopefully I should know by the end of February."

As it happens, its the end of February, and I still don't know.

kojacker

In case any UKers are wondering, pre-orders for launch day console stock are still readily available all over the high street and online. A Game employee told me at the weekend they'll be able to "get one for every one that wants one" whatever that means, HMV and Argos are good choices too. Online play.com are still taking them for their bundle (3 games plus free HDMI cable & 'Click' Blu-Ray movie) and Amazon (where I have my own pre-order) are still in stock after the initial sell out.

We're now just over 3 weeks away, it's looking pretty good stock wise. Hopefully scalping will be minimized and everyone who wants one will get it day one.

Edit. Only one worry about online is that March 23 is a Friday. Amazon tend to ship via Parcelforce which don't deliver on a weekend (Sat or Sun) so if you live somewhere remote or across the water (NI) there is a chance of you waiting until the following Monday. My Wii pre-order via Amazon ended up delivered on the Tues because I lived in NI. Unfortunately it doesn't seem possible to request another delivery method.

hadareud

The Translator
I just saw that the PS3 is still available at all major online stores in the UK - are they really shipping that many or are the stores taking orders despite better judgement? Or - and I don't know if I can ask this question without being labelled a troll - is there a shortage in demand?

hadareud

The Translator
:lol

yeah, I actually saw it this morning and that's why I checked the websites. It is pretty strange - but I cannot really believe that demand is low. Love the chart though:

ps3marketshare.gif

This is a graph we made to illustrate the facts, like Al Gore did in that documentary about the sun exploding. People believe graphs.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Danj said:
UKResistance seems to be thinking the same thing.

Duh. As everyone with half a brain cell knows, Sony are deliberately creating an artificial shortage of demand to boost something-or-other. Hence the flurry of preorder-cancellation-inspiring announcements.

Wollan

The answer is that there has never been this many consoles available for a launch in Europe (not at such a high price either). It's pretty logical. Also, it has beaten every other console pre-order record before it.

Kinan

Heh, look how clueless Amazon.de people are about PS3 launch. I have asked them how can I get a free PS3 game that was promised to me at the time of my preorder (July 2006). Here is their answer:

Dear customer,

thank you for contacting Amazon.de.

Since you have preordered your Playstation 3 in July 2006, you will
be send a gift certificate, by using which you can get one of the
Launch-titles from Sony Computer Entertainment for free.

The certificate will be shipped shortly before the launching date of
the Playstation 3 per e-mail and can be redeemed for one of these
games:

* Eye of Judgement
* Formel 1 2006
* Genji 2
* Heavenly Sword
* Motor Storm
* SingStar
* Warhawk

We hope, we could help.

Made my day. :)

Tharkûn

Banned
Where are the commercials, by the way? I haven't seen a single one and thing comes out in like 2 weeks. It's like Sony is trying not to sell any PS3s.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Hey Wollan you forgot GT:HD on the networks game.
Its going to be there for launch, and hey its free cant beat that price.

Tharkûn said:
Where are the commercials, by the way? I haven't seen a single one and thing comes out in like 2 weeks. It's like Sony is trying not to sell any PS3s.

It'll be 3 weeks on Friday, and there's no need for Sony to run TV ads or anything it can all be word of mouth, internet marketing and adverts on the side of football pitches till after the launch, if you don't know this thing is launching, you ain't buying one yet.

Does so found a french promotion/pack with bundled games or HDMI cable or even a coupon ?
I know that i'll certainly buy this console before the end of the year and i thin that the price won't go down (exactly like the 360 did) and i want to be sure that i pay the less for the more like everybody here :)
All that i found is a 40€ coupon offer when you buy the console but there is no info about the stock :/

Wollan

Jax said:
tonnes or retailers / print + tv ads in australia.

tonnes

I've yet to see one actually here in Melbourne. Then again, I don't watch tv or buy papers. :p
I wonder when the trams will start getting posters.

jax (old)

Banned
Wollan said:
I've yet to see one actually here in Melbourne. Then again, I don't watch tv or buy papers. :p
I wonder when the trams will start getting posters.

harvey norman ads.

Domayne paper ads.. etc etc

been going for 2 weeks +

didn't know you were aussie.

reminder

European dates for PSN titles and UK prices for some titles:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=73530

Sony has confirmed release dates for the first seven titles to appear on the PlayStation Network.

Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection kicks will be released on 23rd March for GBP 6.99, with Blast Factor (GBP 3.49) and Gran Turismo HD (free) also available on the PAL launch day.
Advertisement

Super Rub-A-Dub follows on March 30th, while April's PSN slate currently has flOw down for 6th April, with Go! Sudoku (13th April) and Go! Puzzle (20th April) to follow.

Prices for these titles have yet to be revealed, but it's expected to be at the lower end of Sony's pricing strategy. Other titles expected in the near future include Lemmings, Gripshift and Calling All Cars.

More news soon.

March 23rd
Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection (GBP 6.99)
Blast Factor (GBP 3.49)
Gran Turismo HD (free)

March 30th

Super Rub a Dub

April 6th
flOw

April 13th
Go! Sudoku

April 20th
Go! Puzzle

No dates yet for Lemmings, GripShift, Calling All Cars and Q*bert. No prices in € yet.

Wollan

Looks like they want to keep excitement high with weekly releases. I have to wait one week extra for Super Rub'a'Dub. :mad:

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
reminder said:
March 23rd
Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection (GBP 6.99)

Excellent. Bargain of the decade.

reminder said:
Blast Factor (GBP 3.49)

Also stunningly cheap. Will be mine on launch day.

reminder said:
Gran Turismo HD (free)

Huzzah.

reminder said:
March 30th
Super Rub a Dub

DAMN YOU SONY! WHY MUST YOU MAKE US WAIT?!? ARE YOU DETERMINED TO SCREW UP EVERYTHING IN THE EURO LAUNCH? YOU KNOW WE'RE ONLY BUYING IT FOR THE RUBBER DUCKIES, SO WHY MUST YOU MOCK US SO?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
post from a gent over at another forum - thought it might be of interest

Got back from the Sony DADC PS3 Presentation in Bishopgate in the City late last night, a few figures where mentioned and therefore I'm offering these for discussion.

SCEE will have now have 300,000 units avalible for the UK launch (size window not mentioned) as opposed to the 200,000 that has been mentioned before.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
mrklaw said:
post from a gent over at another forum - thought it might be of interest

Isn't that 'news' positively antique? 300,000 has been the accepted UK figure for quite some time now.

ram

Mario said:
"Update on improvements for Euro release

- localization done including PAL resolution support

only 50hz or 60hz full screen? makes me wonder, because i have seen games like motorstorm and resistance run in full screen and games like genji and ridge racer 7´with black pal borders on bottom and top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom