• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PAL PLAYSTATION®3 Launch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reminder

Samuray said:
So....will Europe or specifically Germany get machines that censor games? (see: Japanese consoles)

I hope not :/ Well, i don't think that germany get's other machines than the rest of europe. And censorded PS3s for all european countries? I doubt it.

Samuray said:
On another note, is it true that there's no release date for Lemmings yet? And flOw will hit in April instead of March...? Gna.

Yep, both is true.

Midas

Wollan said:
I think the game itself is censored. You can play US version of Resistance on Japanese PS3 and get blood.

I hope so, I don't want my games censored just because I'm getting a PAL version of PS3.

Mmmkay

One of the Insomniac devs explained a while ago that there are a multitude of region identifiers both on the disc and hardware itself that can be used.

neogaf_cage_free said:
Okay, so the truth is much more confusing than what's been revealed. Basically the PS3 itself has a region code, the software/disc has a region code, and the Playstation Network account has an associated region. Developers are free to do whatever they want with any and all of those regions and there are no real guidelines. One thing to remember is that even "region-free" software will behave differently for different regions for things like languages, online servers, and whatever other odd restrictions that individual countries have. And because there are no guidelines you really can't know what the developers chose to base their region-encoding off. For one game it may be baed off your PS3 hardware so that any imported disc will work the same as a disc from your home country, but for another it could be based on the disc itself, and for yet another it could be your Playstation Network account. The best advice is buyer beware even on 1st party Sony games. Also I expect that more devs will choose PS3 region over disc region, so if you did manage to import a foreign PS3 into your home country than you should prepare for the likelihood that most things will behave as if you were in that foreign country regardless of where you buy your games from.

To censor Germany it could probably look at the language setting for the console combined with the region, so that it doesn't censor the rest of Europe too. Alternatively, there may be a country indicator within the region identifier to say "this is a German/European unit", and that could be used. Or they could simply sell a unique game SKU for Germany which has censored content throughout. I don't think Germany's censorship will spill into the rest of Europe this time, unlike what we saw in the PS2 era. There are a lot more options at the developers' disposal.

Midas

Mmmkay said:
One of the Insomniac devs explained a while ago that there are a multitude of region identifiers both on the disc and hardware itself that can be used.

To censor Germany it could probably look at the language setting for the console combined with the region, so that it doesn't censor the rest of Europe too. Alternatively, there may be a country indicator within the region identifier to say "this is a German/European unit", and that could be used. Or they could simply sell a unique game SKU for Germany which has censored content throughout. I don't think Germany's censorship will spill into the rest of Europe this time, unlike what we saw in the PS2 era. There are a lot more options at the developers' disposal.

I really hope that's the case. It would be really bad if the rest of Europe would have to suffer just because of Germany. Of course, a game won't be much worse if you can't cut the head of your enemies like in Ninja Gaiden, but still feels really bad that a whole continent gets an altered game just because ONE country has some kind of weird censorship rules.

Samuray

Wollan said:
I think the game itself is censored. You can play US version of Resistance on Japanese PS3 and get blood..

Sorry, but that's not the case. There were numerous reports that US-software is being censored on Japanese machines, and while there is a savegame trick to circumvent that in the case of Resistance, the problem itself is very much there.

Mmmkay said:
One of the Insomniac devs explained a while ago that there are a multitude of region identifiers both on the disc and hardware itself that can be used.....

That was really helpful, actually. It's basically saying that PAL users can never be REALLY safe from censorship, especially not in Germany, and since that's exactly where I live I suppose it's no PAL machine for me now.
Sure, in all likelihood it will be enough to import the games....but it's still too risky for my taste.

Well, finally something concrete on that matter! Thank you.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
So, apparently I can buy any old HDMI cable for like, £6... that true?

If so, please provide some links or specs, don't want to get a stinker.

Midas

Milhouse31 said:
At my media markt (Belgium), they give you a 25€ gift card if you pre-order a PS3.

Pre-orders must be low

You get a free game worth 59 € if you buy your PS3 at a certain store here. Pre-orders must be even lower here!!!

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
McBacon said:
Cool.
Can anyone else back Pallaris up, if so, I'll lay down the cash.

It's the one I was planning on buying, but I saw a slightly shinier one on Amazon (reduced from £30 to £5) so picked that up instead. Shouldn't be any problems with that one, though, other than working out what to do with the £12 you saved by not buying a Sony cable. :D

Chittagong

Gold Member
Midas said:
You get a free game worth 59 € if you buy your PS3 at a certain store here. Pre-orders must be even lower here!!!

All major Finnish online retailers have launch PS3s still available - Tilt, VPD, Player One, NetAnttila, Verkkokauppa.com all have stock guaranteed for launch day. Same goes for Stockmann department store.

It's too early to proclaim doom quite yet, but for a total Sonyland that Finland has been for the last ten years, the writing is on the wall.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh yeah, I'm loving this transparent controller :lol

GEy0wm.jpg

2SqnLt.jpg

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
I just bought one (an HDMI cable) off Play Asia for like £5; affiliation money is sweet. Says its PS3 compatiable, but I guess I'll find out in 19 days!

Mar

Midas said:
Can you see those empty spots? That's where the NEXT-GEN rumble will be!!! :lol

Sony said rumble was last gen. But yeah, that's where it will sit, and is the reason for the controller being so lite.

McBacon said:
I just bought one (an HDMI cable) off Play Asia for like £5; affiliation money is sweet. Says its PS3 compatiable, but I guess I'll find out in 19 days!

Its a standard hdmi connection on the back mate so any hdmi lead will do.

garrickk

Martoo said:
Sony said rumble was last gen. But yeah, that's where it will sit, and is the reason for the controller being so lite.
You'd say that too (and nothing positive about rumble) if you were trying to settle a lawsuit.

How do you transfer movies, music and other files to your ps3?

And will a 19 inch plasma pc monitor (1280x1024) through hdmi/dvi give me an hd experience?

thanks

Wollan

luca_29_bg said:
but that face plated is missing on ps3 pal ???????

Faceplate? You mean the chrome? No it's still there, it's just that the pic is slightly angeled and light funny.

Mmmkay

Just a bit of pre-order bundle bitching, but it just occurred to me how much GAME are screwing people with their bundles. They're offering a Resistance/MotorStorm bundle for £504.99 (cost price) when most others are offering it for £10 less. Their strategy is that you get £12.50 worth of reward points by making the order with them, which I suppose is okay in a twisted self serving way... until you consider HMV.

HMV is offering for £509.99 Resistance, MotorStorm, AND Formula One - effectively netting you one game for free. Plus you get 5000 reward points netting you £25 in vouchers for future purchases.

Question about PAL PS3:

1. PAL PS3 can play NTSC US and JAP games, BUT if let say I buy a US or JAP game and it has ONLINE multiplayer can I connect it to the internet server and play it online?

Il Comodino

sorry about his english
robertsan21 said:
Question about PAL PS3:

1. PAL PS3 can play NTSC US and JAP games, BUT if let say I buy a US or JAP game and it has ONLINE multiplayer can I connect it to the internet server and play it online?

yes

I ply wth nba 2k7 usa on my Ps3 jap :)

Mideon

I assume the PS3 in the UK will come with a scart block for the composite lead, well hopefully it does, every other console here has one!

Goldrusher

Mideon said:
I assume the PS3 in the UK will come with a scart block for the composite lead, well hopefully it does, every other console here has one!

If you use scart, use a real scart cable.
The scart block is for n00bs. :p

CSSer

FoxhoundNL said:

Transfer the movie files to a USB device or memory stick. Connect the device to PS3, then go to videos section, find the device at the top. Press triangle, display all. Find the video, press triangle and choose copy. It should transfer to your PS3.

About the monitor resolution, I think the best it can get is 720p (1280x720).

Mideon

Goldrusher said:
If you use scart, use a real scart cable.
The scart block is for n00bs. :p

Oh yeah just remembered im sure I read somewhere that I can use my proper scart that I use for my PS2, is that right?

Yes, we have 1 year mandatory.
But, even though my launch ps2 and PSONE are still going strong, I want at least 3 years warranty on my Playstation® 3.

Ckid

this is a ps3 thread so :)

Anyone know why my ps3 doesnt play the little video thumnails under the video menu. i dont see an option anywhere to make them play?

Wollan

I think you have to actually start the video and then bring up the menu and from there you can set the mark from where you want to record that 15sec video thumbnail.

Ckid

Wollan said:
I think you have to actually start the video and then bring up the menu and from there you can set the mark from where you want to record that 15sec video thumbnail.

thanks that would of taken me 12 years to figure out

I got the 360 and Wii at launch, but no way I will get the PS3 at launch. However, I'm fairly certain I'm getting it this summer. Should be a nice vacation in Sony land then.

nofi

I pre-ordered in my local GameStation on Tuesday, they're still guaranteeing a day-one pickup even at this late stage, so I'm pretty hopeful of getting one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom