• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

CAVE343

I want to edit the OP, but when I press the edit/del button it doesn't show the post but the textbox is empty, how come?

"I want to edit the OP, but when I press the edit/del button it doesn't show the post but the textbox is empty, how come?"

No clue. Should work just fine.

Vagabundo

I misread something about this game a month or two ago and though the single player was the real sequel to Unreal 1 and expansion...

Not to be I guess (sigh).!!

Looks interesting anyway, always enjoyed the tournament games.

Teknopathetic said:
"Is there a demo for this? (PC)"

There's a rather meh-tastic beta demo that was released

The demo should show how the game will run on your PC? All I really need to know...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Actually, I'm curious, I haven't yet played the demo so I wonder, what kind of performance are people seeing on the PC? As an Epic game, I would expect it to run very well on a wide variety of machines. Is that the case?

glaurung

dark10x said:
Actually, I'm curious, I haven't yet played the demo so I wonder, what kind of performance are people seeing on the PC? As an Epic game, I would expect it to run very well on a wide variety of machines. Is that the case?

Yeah, probably runs just fine on a whole array of PCs.

The only issue is that even though it runs on a PoS PC, it looks like a dead dog.

There was the demo thread a while back, that should give you a general idea about what you're going up against.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
This is a definite will-buy for me on PS3. I gotta hurry up and hit lvl 55 on COD4 now. :D

The game runs superb on just about anything. And if you have high-ish end system (anywhere from an 8800GTS + Core 2 duo up), you'll get 60fps at 1900x1200 max settings flawlessly. CPU does seem to play a large role. If you've got a single core AMD or something, it's still very (very playable) on the lower end of settings and still looks decent. It scales pretty well.

For lower end systems, you absolutely HAVE to turn screen percentage up to 100% for the game not to look like utter shit, though. Most people are confused by this, it's at 100% for most systems except those on the lower end. If you're already running at 1024x768, screen percentage at 50% actually changes the resolution to 512x384 and scales it up to fill your screen, thus looking like COMPLETE GARBAGE.

"The demo should show how the game will run on your PC? All I really need to know..."

Yeah, it's an accurate representation of final performance. Some of the maps are more or less intensive than others, but marginally.

Apocryphon

I posted a new topic, including the UE3.0 Wii story, before realizing that the Wii part was already under discussion, so i'm leaving the thread to die and posting the rest in here instead :)

Kikizo interviewed Rein and he talks about the PS3 version, the 360 version, mods for both systems and getting the engine to run on lower end PC graphics cards. It's an interesting read.

The interview

On the 360 version:

Kikizo: How long is it going to be, on the PS3 only, before a 360 version appears? The 360 version is announced, right?

Rein: Yeah, we're doing a 360 version. Right now, the main reason we brought it to PlayStation 3 first is the mods. You know how important mods are to Unreal Tournament, and we love user created content. And remember, our user created content isn't just rearranging materials around on the deck, or the boat. It's making a new boat! It's making a plane, or a car - it's making whatever you want to make...

...the Xbox 360 is a closed system, so the question is how do you get user created content - not stuff that's gone through a certification process - how do users bring content onto Xbox 360. We don't know the answer to that, and we're too busy right now working on the PS3 version, and the PC versions, to sit down with Microsoft. So when the game is done and it's out - it might end up being Christmas or some time in the New Year - we'll sit down with Microsoft and say OK, how do we do mods on your system, and then we'll have to make the changes to accommodate that. So to be honest, we don't know.

On PS3 1080p:

Kikizo: Will the PS3 version run in 1080p?

Rein: So, with the engine, yeah, you could make Unreal Engine 3 content that runs in 1080p, no problem - in fact there are levels inside UT3 that will run at 1080p if there's nothing else going on in them. So if 1080p is your goal... you decide what your goals are when you're making a game. With Gears of War, a perfect example, one of our goals was this super rich experience with a really high level of detail in the graphics and to really push the bar up there. If our goal was 1080p, we couldn't have achieved that, just because it's all about the trade-offs. It's the same with UT; our goal is to have a really fast, smooth experience with all kinds of crap going on at the same time... people shooting you with rockets and explosions going on, you and ten bots running around like crazy... and if that's your experience and that's what you're trying to do, then you're a 720p game.

Firewire

Banned
So can any of the PC owners tell us how many maps are in the game? I seem to remember hearing 40 but I'm unsure. Also Mr. Rein said the PS3 version would have all the maps of the PC version right?

44?48 something like that. Over 40. 12 DM maps, 6 CTF, 6 vCTF (They don't share maps), and something like 12 different warfare maps, but with a second theme so "technically" 24 of those.

Firewire

Banned
So what about clan support in terms of numbers? What size games can you have 16 vs 16? Sorry but I'm new to UT so I don't know much about it, but I've been anticipating getting this game for my PS3.

Firewire

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
44?48 something like that. Over 40. 12 DM maps, 6 CTF, 6 vCTF (They don't share maps), and something like 12 different warfare maps, but with a second theme so "technically" 24 of those.

Awesome amount of maps, insuring that nothing gets old quickly in the game!

Hey Teknopathetic, what would be your favorite or what you consider the best top 5 maps for TDM?

Xenon

...the Xbox 360 is a closed system, so the question is how do you get user created content - not stuff that's gone through a certification process - how do users bring content onto Xbox 360. We don't know the answer to that, and we're too busy right now working on the PS3 version, and the PC versions, to sit down with Microsoft. So when the game is done and it's out - it might end up being Christmas or some time in the New Year - we'll sit down with Microsoft and say OK, how do we do mods on your system, and then we'll have to make the changes to accommodate that. So to be honest, we don't know.

Hopefully their work on Gears will be enough leverage to get this option on the 360 version. It would be a big help if this UT3 sold well on the PS3. If it bombs MS could say the IP is not worth the trouble of opening up their online platform, even if that was something they touted during the 360 launch.

"Hey Teknopathetic, what would be your favorite or what you consider the best top 5 maps for TDM?"

Ehhhh, Deck (obviously), maybe RisingSun, Defiance, Gateway, and CarbonFire.

MoxManiac

Tre, you say the game scales well, but how well would it scale to my dinosaur? (P4 2.4, 1gb ram, 6600GT) Right now i'm leaning towards the PS3 version, since I don't think i can run the PC version well enough.

http://www.unrealna.com/viewnews.php?t=535

*Massive* first patch notes. Some big leaps and bounds for the shit UI and server browser.

What I feel are most important:

- Added ping and connect time to scoreboard.
- Friends messages now saved until explicitly deleted.
- Finer control over mouse sensitivity, using an edit box instead of a
slider.
- Added framerate smoothing and FOV options to the advanced video menu.
- Implemented "Server History" tab page in server browser, with ability to
"lock" favorites on that page.
- Added 'Join as spectator' feature.
- Added filter option for dedicated servers.
- Fixed scaling of certain player meshes (increased in size some human and
robot meshes). Addresses meshes being smaller than collision box, as well as
eyeheight issues.
- Implemented STUN support (Simple Traversal of UDP Through Network Address
Translators) to enable clients and servers to connect from behind a NAT.
- Removed annoying confirmation menu when starting a game.
- Removed unnecessary top settings page (can use tabs at the top of the
settings to navigate).

"Tre, you say the game scales well, but how well would it scale to my dinosaur? (P4 2.4, 1gb ram, 6600GT)"

That's...rough. Try the demo. All settings on low, 1024x768, screen percentage 100%. I played for awhile on a 3700+ AMD64, 2GB of ram, and a 9800 Pro with World detail on 1 and texture detail on 2 and it was playable, however that was only because I was waiting on my 8800GT to come in. If upgrading's not an option and you do want significantly better graphics/performance, the inferior version may be your only choice.

MoxManiac

Yeah. :/ upgrading's not an option for awhile, unfortunately. I've got a kb/mouse setup already planned for where my PS3 is, so it won't be so bad if I go that route.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Teknopathetic said:
The game runs superb on just about anything. And if you have high-ish end system (anywhere from an 8800GTS + Core 2 duo up), you'll get 60fps at 1900x1200 max settings flawlessly. CPU does seem to play a large role. If you've got a single core AMD or something, it's still very (very playable) on the lower end of settings and still looks decent. It scales pretty well.

For lower end systems, you absolutely HAVE to turn screen percentage up to 100% for the game not to look like utter shit, though. Most people are confused by this, it's at 100% for most systems except those on the lower end. If you're already running at 1024x768, screen percentage at 50% actually changes the resolution to 512x384 and scales it up to fill your screen, thus looking like COMPLETE GARBAGE.

"The demo should show how the game will run on your PC? All I really need to know..."

Yeah, it's an accurate representation of final performance. Some of the maps are more or less intensive than others, but marginally.
I was getting around 50fps on an AMD 3500+/x1950GT at 1360x768, and it never dropped below 30fps at any point. It's not as GPU dependent as F.E.A.R but it's close.

That said, nothing in the demo made me want to immediately go out and buy a copy of UT3. If you didn't care for UT2k3/4 then you aren't going to go nuts over this game either. Personally, I think they should have brought bombing run back and fully incorporated it into Warfare. They're already halfway there, with the node carriers. That would have been much more exciting than a vanilla DM demo.

I'm not sure why they put 2 DM maps and a vCTF map in. vCTF is always, always a sideshow. 1 DM map (preferably non-Heatray. I know WHY they chose this map, but still), 1 vanilla CTF map, 1 Warfare map. That would've given a taste of everything that UT3 has, sans vCTF.

"If you didn't care for UT2k3/4 then you aren't going to go nuts over this game either"

Absolutely. If you're not a UT fan, a game that is essentially a mix of the best from the previous games is definitely not gonna change your mind.

Francias Castiglione said:
I'll buy the version I can play on my couch with surround sound at 1080p and 60fps.

:D

Funny, I played that version, the PC version, on my couch in 1080p last night, without downgraded graphics. :lol

CAVE343

Caesar III said:
i haven't tried it yet, but could ut3 be playable in minimum settings @ a intel gma x3100?

I just got the game yay(!) but my videocard sux too much and its unplayble for me :)
Everything on "low" and it runs fine, but I can't see anything. Hope I get my new card soon. So if you mean the lowest resolution the game its not playable. But if you mean min system specs I dont know.

I'm installing the demo right now to check it out.

1024 and all @ low is just fine for me on my notebook. I just want to play against my brother and sister at home, where I have nothing but this notebook :(

- Fixed scaling of certain player meshes (increased in size some human and
robot meshes). Addresses meshes being smaller than collision box, as well as
eyeheight issues.
YES! THANKS GOD! I HEART YOU EPIC! That was my one HUGE complaint from the beta, and they were very mum about it on the boards. Glad to see it's getting fixed.

mauaus

OMG cant wait for this game to come, im broke but still dishing out the last 60 bucks of the year in games... so far NOV - DEC: Uncharted, Assasins Creed and COD4

mauaus

bad-joey said:
imo good choice! (if its UT ;-)

I chose UT3 over it too because of the nostalgic factor ;) big time original UT fan... What was that floating level that that had a tower on each side you spawned around in the back of each tower, perfect for CTF and sniping...
I loved that level!!!

That would be the ever classic FacingWorlds which is actually absent in the maplist. That said, even the UT2K4 version FaceClassic, was fan made, so the likelihood of another fanmade remake authentic to the original is fairly high.

CAVE343

Teknopathetic said:
That would be the ever classic FacingWorlds which is actually absent in the maplist. That said, even the UT2K4 version FaceClassic, was fan made, so the likelihood of another fanmade remake authentic to the original is fairly high.

Face was always fun to search for the campers on the towers and then telefrag them :)

mauaus

Teknopathetic said:

Man im gonna be so thrilled when someone makes it :)

Das-J

Law of the West
I just wanted to say that you did a fantastic job with this thread and I am really looking forward to this game!

MEGA KILL FTW!

Firewire

Banned
I almost can't believe this is less than a month away for PS3 owners.

X-mass won't be to boring this year for me, family will be out west in B.C. & my g/f will be in Europe visiting family, so it'll be just me & my PS3 with UT3 battles! (Oh and my sisters dog snoops will be with me) :lol

kuYuri

Did anyone preorder this for PC at Gamestop before it came out? If you did, you would have gotten Unreal Anthology for free as a preorder bonus.

mauaus

Firewire said:
I almost can't believe this is less than a month away for PS3 owners.

X-mass won't be to boring this year for me, family will be out west in B.C. & my g/f will be in Europe visiting family, so it'll be just me & my PS3 with UT3 battles! (Oh and my sisters dog snoops will be with me) :lol

I wish i had more time with my PS3 i usually clock no more than an hour and a half most of the time less.

Strider2K99 said:
Did anyone preorder this for PC at Gamestop before it came out? If you did, you would have gotten Unreal Anthology for free as a preorder bonus.

I got it and didn't expect it all. When they guy brought out two game cases, I wanted to say I was only picking up one game today. Doubt I'll ever install the disc but oh well, can't complain about free stuff.

Top Bottom