• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

"I don't it's the maps and I might have my definition crossed in regards to 'Hitscan', but the moment between when you hit fire and when a shot is actually fired or a hit is registered is way to long even in Singleplayer. Which leads me to believe it's not a network issue, but something gameplay related."

Hmm. Seems about right to me. I haven't found myself having any more trouble landing with hitscan weapons than before. Actually the projectile speeds have thrown me off so far more than anything.

"No standard Domination or Double Dom gametypes?"

Nope. DM, TDM, Duel, CTF, vCTF, Warfare.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
So is this game awesome or what?

I want to buy it, but I thought the demo had some crappy optimization, so it threw me off.

?

Demo ran over 60fps on any dual-core rig + half-decent video card, depending on settings. Crappy optimization doesn't quite fit. Shitty UI and server browser, most definitely.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Teknopathetic said:
Fuck your question. Your question don't got shit to do with you being wrong.

Yeah, it's awesome.

Thanks, I'mma go buy it.

FabCam

Teknopathetic said:
"If it's an "M", does that mean they won't sell it to me unless I'm 17???"

Sounds about right.
Dayum. I'll have to get my dad to get it for me. I hate having my whole life ahead of me.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
FabCam said:
Dayum. I'll have to get my dad to get it for me. I hate having my whole life ahead of me.

It's parents like yours that are the drag on our upstanding society. Purchasing games/movies/music for kids that are obviously incapable of handling the mature content as stated by the ratings boards. If people like your parents would respect the fact the ratings boards know what's best for our young children, there wouldn't be clowns running around killing each other and blaming GTA. We must stop this gene pool from being infected with anymore of your ilk. Kindly remove your balls.

Most any store would probably sell it to you if you just tried.

Spin

squatingyeti said:
It's parents like yours that are the drag on our upstanding society. Purchasing games/movies/music for kids that are obviously incapable of handling the mature content as stated by the ratings boards. If people like your parents would respect the fact the ratings boards know what's best for our young children, there wouldn't be clowns running around killing each other and blaming GTA. We must stop this gene pool from being infected with anymore of your ilk. Kindly remove your balls.

Most any store would probably sell it to you if you just tried.

Well at the same time imagine if you couldn't play any mature games. That would be like no Gears of War, no Unreal Tournament, no Halo, no devil May Cry, no Oblivion, no Metal Gear, no God of War... You would miss so many good games!

CAVE343

6nqcp3l.jpg

I've finally got my 8800GT, so I can play in a decent way. Took some screens of a bot match on Deck, posted them in the op.
Game looks great and runs very smooth, very happy with it now!

h3ro

bad-joey said:
I've finally got my 8800GT, so I can play in a decent way. Took some screens of a bot match on Deck, posted them in the op.
Game looks great and runs very smooth, very happy with it now!

Great OP!

I'm excited to see what kind of reception the PS3 version gets from everyone, from reviewers to gamers and of course, the modders!

I am so sad that I don't have a PC that will run this. This will be the first Unreal launch that I've missed out on...EVER!! But that's what happens when you have kids. If I had a PS3 I'd be all over that version, but it looks like I'm waitng on the XBox360 version....provided Epic and MSFT can work out the issue of user created content that is......

I've been crying myself to sleep all week. :(

JonAmikar

Ignorant Scrub
The game absolutely pwns. Epic has managed to recapture the magic of UT99. The map design is fantastic, perhaps even as good as the ones in the original. DM-Sentinel, DM-Gateway, and DM-Deimos are top notch. CTF is actually fun again with classics like CTF-Coret and CTF-Hydro16. BUY THIS GAME.

ScreenShot00057.sized.jpg

ScreenShot00091.sized.jpg

ScreenShot00101.sized.jpg

Cheeto

IGCTF is fucked with the delay, game needs patch badly for this mod to be playable. Not as noticeable in other game modes so I can live without it for now, but the main reason I bought the game was for IGCTF.

Been playing on low detail (I can run high, but I love me some 60fps). The game still looks surprisingly good.

Amazingly awesome game too. Definitely lived up to my expectations. On a very short list of games this year that did not dissapoint in any way.

Single player is hillarious too...Field Lattice Generators (FLaGs)? Atleast they poke fun at themselves about this stuff.

Epix

Epic's Rein Talks UT3 'Home' Integration, PS3 'Trojan Horse' Strategy

Epic's Rein Talks UT3 'Home' Integration, PS3 'Trojan Horse' Strategy In an in-depth new interview with Epic VP Mark Rein, the exec has been discussing Unreal Tournament 3 for PlayStation 3, praising the possibilities for upcoming Home integration and Sony's 'trojan horse' strategy of including Blu-ray in the PS3.

Firstly, Rein talked about Unreal Tournanent 3's planned integration with Sony's Home online world space. UT3 is now confirmed to launch for PlayStation 3 in December, with Home due out in early 2008, but the VP indicated that Epic already has concrete plans for use of the service:

"We're planning that you'll be able to get a party together in Home and then file into the game from an Unreal space. Home's pretty cool, so we're planning to do that. That'll make it easy for... what I like about that is that you'll be able to form without us having to build a party system. It won't be as detailed as a real party system, but the idea is that we could all meet up in a room and go together in the game.

I think it's really smart that eventually if everybody does that, each company doesn't have to develop its own way to all meet up somewhere and all go into a game. I think that's a very smart way to do it, and I kind of wish Xbox 360 would do that, and I'm hoping that they will at some point.

In other words, all these games have these different systems for getting together and then traveling into the games together or playing as teams or whatever. I expect that to be a dashboard functionality at some point in the future for the Xbox 360, and I think Sony's already thinking that way with Home."

Further on in the interview, Rein discussed the PlayStation 3's possible momentum going into the holiday season, post-price cut, noting "They've got a lot going for them right now. It's a great Blu-ray player. They're going to push that really hard." Clarifying his comments further, he explained of this angle:

"I think if you have a large install base [of any game-playing device], you have an ability to sell software, and if you have a large enough install base, the publishers will, if they feel they have a big title, they will put the money behind marketing it. I think there's nothing wrong with the Trojan Horse strategy of "let's get this device in the living room, and it can play music and DVDs and high-definition movies." The Xbox 360 does that too

So I don't think there's anything wrong with having a good Trojan Horse strategy, because there's nothing better for us as game developers than having a huge install base. Publishers will say, "Hey, there's ten or however many million of those. Let's spend a little bit extra to buy our disc and stick it in."

I think once it's there, there's the temptation to play games on it, regardless of what your original meaning was. If people buy it as a Blu-ray player, they... will play games. When the big ads come out in August for a new Madden game, they'll pick up Madden. They've got the equipment, so why not? They've made the investment."

The full interview with Rein is now available on Gamasutra, including much more detail on the PS3/PC mod functionality for Unreal Tournament 3, Unreal Engine 3's relationship with Japanese developers, and a host of other subjects.
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=16404

Wollan

That interview has a page worth of discussion in regards to UT PS3 mods (with the Gamasutra reporter knowing null and nothing about mods).
As far as I understood, UE3 editor has a 'bake PS3' option and it scales the textures..etc appropiately for you to be able to put the mod on the console. More convenient than I thought it would be.

Wollan

It's it not the same. It doesn't let you travel from server to server like a ingame party system would possibly let you.
Basically, what I'm guessing Home will do is to launch your Home gathered party onto the same server but if people who came alongside you start to go different servers there's no overall system that will keep you together at that point.

Firewire

Banned
Wollan said:
It's it not the same. It doesn't let you travel from server to server like a ingame party system would possibly let you.
Basically, what I'm guessing Home will do is to launch your Home gathered party onto the same server but if people who came alongside you start to go different servers there's no overall system that will keep you together at that point.

So it would just launch you into UT3's lobby then, you wouldn't have the choice or option to actually launch into a specific server or something from within Home? That would be kinda weird and not really all that worth while.

Are you basing this on his comments & what you know about UT3 setup, or on your experience with the new Home update. Or all of the above?

antiloop

Wollan said:

Maybe it will improve over time. It's only software after all. :)

If they keep track of what servers the PSN id of each user joins it shouldn't be too hard.

as the experience and expectations would be identical for all titles!

That would be the best thing about it.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Installed it last night and was going through the campaign. I love how they actually tried to fit a story into every gamemode.

Question though, is there anyway to issue orders without having to press escape? Did I miss it during key config. or did they just leave out a quick communication menu?

"Question though, is there anyway to issue orders without having to press escape? Did I miss it during key config. or did they just leave out a quick communication menu?"

Doesn't seem to be a quick com menu, that said I haven't looked for it either.

the ps3 version will have all the benefits of the pc version right?
Will the ps3 have a special edition version with the mod tool tutorial?

Firewire

Banned
GeneralIroh said:
the ps3 version will have all the benefits of the pc version right?
Will the ps3 have a special edition version with the mod tool tutorial?

The only difference between the two is that mods are only done on PC, you cannot do mods on the PS3. So basically PC moders can make new maps & stuff and easily export them to be used on the PS3.

"Will the ps3 have a special edition version with the mod tool tutorial?"

The PS3 version doesn't come with UnrealEd, as such, no need for the VTMs (Video Training Modules).

Momar

aka Ryder
Those of you playing with 8800GT's, what kind of resolutions/settings are you playing on? Framerates? Rest of your rig? I just bought a 24" monitor and want to play this baby on full res (supports 1920x1200 right?), but am wondering if the 8800GT will be able to pull it off with flying colors or if I should wait until after Christmas break for either a different/newer card or the same card for a cheaper price.

I'm thinking after Christmas since I won't even have my PC over the month of Christmas break, so I should just hold off. However, that MSI 8800GT from Dell looks mighty appetizing...

It'll be able to handle 1900x1200 on MOST games, notable exceptions being like Colin McRae DiRT, Crysis, World in Conflict. Other than that you should be good.

Norml

I like this part.

BS: How does exactly that go through you?

MR: It doesn't go through us.

CN: Does Sony not care?

MR: It's user-created content! It's fantastic! I can't understand why people are so nervous about what Sony... no, Sony's wonderful. When they embrace user-created content, that's what it means to be an open system. That's why we're on PlayStation 3 first -- because they are embracing user-created content. It's not just moving the deck chairs around the boat. They are embracing real art.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Wollan said:
That interview has a page worth of discussion in regards to UT PS3 mods (with the Gamasutra reporter knowing null and nothing about mods).
As far as I understood, UE3 editor has a 'bake PS3' option and it scales the textures..etc appropiately for you to be able to put the mod on the console. More convenient than I thought it would be.

It is literally an 'export to PS3' button in the UE3 tools.

CAVE343

Ryder said:
Those of you playing with 8800GT's, what kind of resolutions/settings are you playing on? Framerates? Rest of your rig? I just bought a 24" monitor and want to play this baby on full res (supports 1920x1200 right?), but am wondering if the 8800GT will be able to pull it off with flying colors or if I should wait until after Christmas break for either a different/newer card or the same card for a cheaper price.

I'm thinking after Christmas since I won't even have my PC over the month of Christmas break, so I should just hold off. However, that MSI 8800GT from Dell looks mighty appetizing...

I'm playing everything on max. with resolution of 1680 x 1050. (8800GT)
Runs like 60/70 fps, warfare 50/60 I think.

Wollan

Firewire said:
So it would just launch you into UT3's lobby then, you wouldn't have the choice or option to actually launch into a specific server or something from within Home? That would be kinda weird and not really all that worth while.
Are you basing this on his comments & what you know about UT3 setup, or on your experience with the new Home update. Or all of the above?
What I'm guessing is that you will launch into the same game/server/map but there's not a overall system after that to keep the group together. If one of your friends decides to go play a different server there's no easy way (unless there's a ingame party system) to transfer the whole group over to the different server. Basically, it works like you would want it to work from Home to the initial server & game but if you want to change server there's no such easy thing unless the game has a party system natively or all of you guys jump out to Home again to jump in again to a new server.

eXxy said:
It is literally an 'export to PS3' button in the UE3 tools.
That is very handy indeed. I was afraid it would be up to the creator to manualy make over all the textures..etc but with a touch of a single button I don't see why anyone shouldn't take use of this feature.

Jenga

Banned
So, how many modes does UT3 offer? I loved screwing around in UT04 on Onslaught, but I heard UT3 is only good with deathmatch and CTF...

Jenga said:
So, how many modes does UT3 offer? I loved screwing around in UT04 on Onslaught, but I heard UT3 is only good with deathmatch and CTF...
It has Deathmatch, CTF, vehicle CTF, Duel, and Warfare which is basically onslaught with bits of assault/bumbing run(kindof).

Jide

JB1981 said:
anyone else dying to know why teknopathetic can't use quotes right?

You'll never get the answer out of him. Although if a specific game type has been made for PC, and the PS3 version runs 20% slower wouldn't there be some sort of conflict ?

Top Bottom