• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

Epix

Mark Rein on content: "This is why we've made the game for the PS3 first."

My copy of Unreal Tournament 3 came in the mail yesterday, and I have to say that it has been a blast to get back into a classic deathmatch experience; I've always thought that the Unreal Tournament games did it better than everyone else. (I'm sure comments to the contrary are already incoming.)

Gamasutra sat down to speak to Epic Games' VP Mark Rein, and the real story seems to be just how open the game will be on the PlayStation 3. "This is the full power of the Unreal Editor. The same editor we used to create the games is now available to you," he says. "You want to import your objects you made in 3D Studio Max or Maya? Bring them in! You want to code an UnrealScript? Code an UnrealScript! All those things you can do. If they fit on our map, you can stick them on the PlayStation 3 and they'll run!"

And this content doesn't have to be filtered by either Epic or Sony. You can grab any kind of mod or custom map from any site online, and it will play on the PS3 version of Unreal Tournament 3.
"When they embrace user-created content, that's what it means to be an open system. That's why we're on PlayStation 3 first—because they are embracing user-created content. It's not just moving the deck chairs around the boat. They are embracing real art," Rein told Gamasutra. This type of open experience may be more of a challenge with Microsoft. "...we will sit down with Microsoft and have a dialog with them and say, 'Here is what we want to do. How can we do it?' They may or may not embrace it. We don't know. That's why we've made the game for the PlayStation 3 first, because we knew exactly what the boundaries were going to be."

This is a no-brainer for Rein, who makes the analogy that a console maker shouldn't be able to tell you what type of music or movies can be played on the hardware, so why should they tell you what content to add to the games you've bought? This is a much different message than gamers are used to when it comes to downloadable content, but it's a very welcome shift. The PlayStation 3 version of Unreal Tournament 3 is looking better and better.
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thu...s-is-why-weve-made-the-game-for-the-ps3-first

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
And this content doesn't have to be filtered by either Epic or Sony. You can grab any kind of mod or custom map from any site online, and it will play on the PS3 version of Unreal Tournament 3.
How are they going to handle the fallout when screenshots of Boob Tournament 3 for the PS3 are making their rounds in the popular media?

Cheeto

SapientWolf said:
How are they going to handle the fallout when screenshots of Boob Tournament 3 for the PS3 are making their rounds in the popular media?
I'm waiting for the inevitable lawsuit from Microsoft when Master Chief makes his way onto the PS3.

EktorPR

Teknopathetic said:
We don't truck with inferior versions here.

Ouch. : /

I'm seriously excited about this coming to my PlayStation 3 in time for the holidays. Thanks, Epic, for not pulling a Valve on us. :D

SapientWolf said:
They're going to say its user created. A T rated game doesnt become AO because someone swears online right?

Cheeto

miyamotofreak said:
They're going to say its user created. A T rated game doesnt become AO because someone swears online right?
Oblivion turned from T to M when someone made a boob mod.

Aaron

miyamotofreak said:
You haven't noticed the 'rating subject to change due to online play' notice on every single online game that's been released in the past few years? Because it does.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
WhatRuOn said:
Oblivion turned from T to M when someone made a boob mod.
No, the mod didn't create any new art. The content was on the disk. The problem is that the mainstream doesn't care either way, and the media is going to sensationalize all the inevitable bare boobage.

BTW, the NVidia Dawn demo has an interesting easter egg ;)

edit: My avatar has never been more appropriate for a topic.

Synless

SapientWolf said:
No, the mod didn't create any new art. The content was on the disk. The problem is that the mainstream doesn't care either way, and the media is going to sensationalize all the inevitable bare boobage.

BTW, the NVidia Dawn demo has an interesting easter egg ;)

edit: My avatar has never been more appropriate for a topic.
where can I find this Dawn demo easter egg???

Nizz

I'm going to pre-order this tomorrow, seeing as how Epic said there'll be limited quantities. Only other Unreal Tournament game I've ever played is Unreal Champoinship 2: The Liandri Conflict (was that the title?) I didn't really dig the third person combat, kept it in fps mode...

"then whats all the pc coverage here? you are such a hypocrite"

Wow... Are you really trying to say the pc version is the inferior of the two? Enjoy your permaban.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"then whats all the pc coverage here? you are such a hypocrite"

Wow... Are you really trying to say the pc version is the inferior of the two? Enjoy your permaban.
he started that fight not me

CAVE343

I'm still having trouble editing the OP. If I just leave the OP as it is now I can't add anything. If I add a few lines and preview then the post doesn't get updated and jumps back to the edit textbox.

But if I delete a few lines I can add a few lines, maybe the OP is sort off full?

"Hmm okay, anything that I can do about it?"

The most I can recommend is condensing some of the stuff, ditching the vehicles maybe, stuff like that.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Quick question, how would the game run and look on my specs.

AMD 4000+ 2.4ghz Processor
ATI Radeon X800 GPU
1 gig of RAM

I want to know if I should get it now for PC or just wait and buy it for PS3.

Cheeto

NameGenerated said:

ATI Radeon X800 GPU
1 gig of RAM

What socket is your processor (AM2 or 939)? You should upgrade.

NameGenerated said:

ATI Radeon X800 GPU
1 gig of RAM

Download the beta. The courtyard of ShangriLa runs about as slow as any area I've seen in the game. If you're happy with your performance there, you'll be even more happy with the rest of the game.

I suspect lag in the PS3 version will be very similar to the PC version, since PSN is an open network. I don't see any reason it should be different.

NameGenerated

UT3.jpg

That's what I am looking at on full settings with Intense post-processing, seems very muddy/blurry to me.

"That's what I am looking at on full settings with Intense post-processing, seems very muddy/blurry to me."

Turn down the post-processing. Intense post-processing is bloom heaven. Vivid's not that bad, default's also better. Muted if you absolutely hate bloom whatsoever.

Post-processing is a taste thing, not a "better graphics" thing.

NameGenerated

Teknopathetic said:
"That's what I am looking at on full settings with Intense post-processing, seems very muddy/blurry to me."

Turn down the post-processing. Intense post-processing is bloom heaven. Vivid's not that bad, default's also better. Muted if you absolutely hate bloom whatsoever.

Post-processing is a taste thing, not a "better graphics" thing.

Will do. Thanks.

theBishop

Banned
WHOAguitarninja said:
I suspect lag in the PS3 version will be very similar to the PC version, since PSN is an open network. I don't see any reason it should be different.

I imagine it'll be completely dependent on the bandwidth of the server. Anyone will be able to host PS3 dedicated servers using the same software as the PC version.

Any Journos know the status of split screen in the PS3 version? If it doesn't at least have 4-player offline, that's a problem. And ideally, it should have 4-player online.

dralla

Don't you have to pay for dedicated servers on PC? That's how I remember it back when I used to play UT/Q3. I don't expect many DS on the PS3 version, majority will be P2P. And if Gears is any indication, it's going to be a laggy POS.

"Don't you have to pay for dedicated servers on PC? That's how I remember it back when I used to play UT/Q3. I don't expect many DS on the PS3 version, majority will be P2P. And if Gears is any indication, it's going to be a laggy POS."

Yes. And while a majority of games may possibly be P2P, I bet you a lot of people will shell out the 10-15$ a month for a dedicated server and those servers will get a lot of play.

theBishop

Banned
dralla said:
Don't you have to pay for dedicated servers on PC? That's how I remember it back when I used to play UT/Q3. I don't expect many DS on the PS3 version, majority will be P2P. And if Gears is any indication, it's going to be a laggy POS.

You have to pay if you want to lease a rack unit on a fiber connection. But you can just as easily run the server software from your PC over a cable connection. Warhawk rates my connection (typical comcast) for 20 players, so I imagine I can probably host with good performance for 12-16 in UT3.

dralla

theBishop said:
You have to pay if you want to lease a rack unit on a fiber connection. But you can just as easily run the server software from your PC over a cable connection. Warhawk rates my connection (typical comcast) for 20 players, so I imagine I can probably host with good performance for 12-16 in UT3.

So if you have the PC version, you can run a DS for the PS3 version? It's a nice feature but how many people do you expect to do this, outside of people on these forums? Now if I could run a DS without owning the PC version, maybe just downloading an app, that would friggin nice

VaLiancY

I'm buying this and Crysis next month. Woo ! My PC will keep me warm during the season from flaring like a sun with all these graphics. After those two purchases, I'm going to need a new keyboard.

"This is probably a long shot, but any chance of the map editor appearing on the PS3 version? q"

It's been confirmed pretty much since they announced it for ps3 that it supports mods but does not support creating mods on ps3.

Core407

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"This is probably a long shot, but any chance of the map editor appearing on the PS3 version? q"

It's been confirmed pretty much since they announced it for ps3 that it supports mods but does not support creating mods on ps3.

Damn. My PC is too much of a POS for it to even run UT3. Hopefully the Linux optimizations will pick up.

"Anyone know how well this bad boy will do running on a brand new 256 Macbook Pro running XP? What about UnrealEd3?"

Try the beta and find out?

UT3 is currently at position 24 at PS3s bestseller list at amazon.com.

Not that bad I guess, considering how few ads it got so far.

From Reins comments you can tell he would like Sony to step in and support it with ads like MS did with Gears, but I guess we will not see such a push as its mulitplatform from start.

bee

running away spamming shock combos is the single most annoying tactic i've ever come across.

the ctf just seems weird with the flag carrier being the slowest moving person on the map, the entire enemy team can catch up with you multiple times before you finally make it home to cap.

the tdm is really good though, had a few clan games 4 random quakers vs ut clans unbeaten so far, fun stuff and the slow movement doesn't really have too much of an effect on it.

not at all interested in any vehicle modes or instagib, wtf they play instagib for, like 60% of the weapons are instagib anyway if you hit them right.

Top Bottom