• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Mario Galaxy Review Thread (1up - 9.5, EuroG - 10, GI - 9.75)

Jammy

Banned
:D http://wii.ign.com/articles/833/833298p1.html

Closing Comments
Super Mario Galaxy is one of the greatest platformers I have ever played, Wii's best game, and an absolute must-own experience. And to me, this odd trek through space really does feel like the true sequel to Mario 64. It harkens back to the N64 classic with nostalgic faces and places from the Mushroom Kingdom, but it also re-invents the franchise with new space-themed mechanics and fresh Wii-enhanced controls. It is, as I have said since I first played it, a near-perfect combination of old platforming values and new design.

Except to be blown away by the fantastic level challenges and galactic variety. Expect to be blown away by the addictive gravity effects -- you will jump off ledges just to see if you can rotate all the way around a structure. And expect to be blown away by the tight controls and beautiful graphics.

Galaxy isn't quite perfect. There are some minor issues -- tiny blemishes, if you will, hiding on the backside of a supermodel. There's the auto-camera, which works exceptionally well most of the time, but every so often stumbles. And there's the overall difficulty -- a little too easy to 60 stars and to defeat bosses for my tastes. But even with these potential drawbacks, Nintendo's Tokyo studio has created a platformer that deserves its place among the very best and will surely be remembered in another decade as a classic.

9.5 Presentation
An unnecessary side-tale contrasts with a traditional story. Otherwise, very slick menus and production values, not to mention WiiConnect24 support and a coop mode.
9.5 Graphics
Outstanding on Wii. The first Wii title that looks like it's really pushing the console. Great art combines with great tech for stunning results. Runs in 480p and 16:9 widescreen.
10 Sound
Normally, we'd harp on the lackluster voice acting, but whatever -- the orchestrated music is so totally amazing that it obliterates any other aural shortcomings.
10 Gameplay
Mario 64 in space. Phenomenal platforming and a huge variety of galaxies to see and explore. Doesn't get any better.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
40-plus galaxies -- all vastly different and filled with unique challenges. 120 stars t collect. Plus, a two-player semi-coop mode. Send your accomplishments to friends over WiiConnect24.

Incredible OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

IGN said:
9.5 Presentation
An unnecessary side-tale contrasts with a traditional story. Otherwise, very slick menus and production values, not to mention WiiConnect24 support and a coop mode.

9.5 Graphics
Outstanding on Wii. The first Wii title that looks like it's really pushing the console. Great art combines with great tech for stunning results. Runs in 480p and 16:9 widescreen.

10 Sound
Normally, we'd harp on the lackluster voice acting, but whatever -- the orchestrated music is so totally amazing that it obliterates any other aural shortcomings.

10 Gameplay
Mario 64 in space. Phenomenal platforming and a huge variety of galaxies to see and explore. Doesn't get any better.

9.5 Lasting Appeal
40-plus galaxies -- all vastly different and filled with unique challenges. 120 stars t collect. Plus, a two-player semi-coop mode. Send your accomplishments to friends over WiiConnect24.

Incredible OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average

Incredible score for an incredible game.

gcfan2k5

HAL_Laboratory said:
So why does Galaxy use WiiConnect 24? What is the purpose?

To brag to your wii friends when you do something important in the game, it will send them a message and they will have the fancy blue glowing light and then they will see that you did something awesome in galaxy.

As great a game Galaxy is, Matt's review score (not necessarily the review) isn't credible becsause he usually adds .5 to all (high-profile) Nintendo games simply because they're (high-profile) Nintendo games.

Of course, pretty much all reviewers do that to ALL high-profile games, so whatever.

Insaniac

Guybrush Threepwood said:
As great a game Galaxy is, Matt's review score (not necessarily the review) isn't credible becsause he usually adds .5 to all (high-profile) Nintendo games simply because they're (high-profile) Nintendo games.

Of course, pretty much all reviewers do that to ALL high-profile games, so whatever.

Thus all reviews are not credible

Johnas

Might be a given, but that IGN review contains some semi-spoilerific screenshots.

I stopped at page 2, for those on media but not review text blackout, be warned.

castle007

Banned
So,

one more. i wonder if GS will post the review tonight. Don't they usually set a date for reviews of big games??

[Nintex]

HAL_Laboratory said:
THE FUCK?

I thought it was confirmed this game ran at 60fps?
Aoyagi:Since I wrote the gravity program, I would like our players to have an experience like no other, running around all the weird-shaped planets. Also, as a programmer, let me say that I really worked hard to make the game run at 60 frames per second, so I hope you'll enjoy the smooth animation.
Link: http://uk.wii.com/software/interviews/mario_galaxy/vol2/page5.html

typo I think.

Guybrush Threepwood said:

WTF are you saying ? In 9 reviews, the average is exactly 9.7, so I don't see the problem. If people have accepted the high scores of Bioshock and Halo 3, I don't see whyt they shouldn't accept this one.

And about the fact that high-profile games are mostly overrated: this is not wrong in some cases, but we have discussed about this for months, so now stop please.

Dez

One thing I don't agree on is the sound being a 10. Yes the orchestrated tracks are great, but the non-orchestrated music is really average. The two best tracks are only used in their own levels, while many of the mediocre tracks are repeated quite often. The chimes and tunes to enter a level are really tinny synth, and are just annoying.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ah yes, the stage is now set. GS editors look at the scores from different publications, grin maliciously and rub their hands together as they know of the impending doom that is about to hit the internet. Never will the numbers 8.5 have such an impact.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Dez said:
An error on Matt's part. The game definitely runs at 60 fps.

This is the second time he's gotten it wrong. So unless the game suddenly got downgraded since I last played it 3 weeks ago, or the lead programmer is a lying jerk, it's safe to say it's 60fps still, and Matt can't tell the difference.

Great review. I don't particularly care for Matt's scores (aside for a select few certain games) but I can at least count on him to point out any negatives, things that other reviewers wouldn't bother with.

laserbeam

Banned
Darunia said:
Ah yes, the stage is now set. GS editors look at the scores from different publications, grin maliciously and rub their hands together as they know of the impending doom that is about to hit the internet. Never will the numbers 8.5 have such an impact.

6.5 Seems more like what id expect from GS now. they need to find a Megaton effect and 8.5 wont do it

Darunia said:

I expect exactly this from Gamespot. They're so big morons....

Bioshock: 9.0 PFUI
Corruption: 8.5 TSÈ
Twilight Princess 8.8: UMPF

I predict a 9.5/10 from GameSpot, as I said earlier in this thread.

But you really have to read the review rather than the score. The GameSpot reviewer might have different standards and an 8.5 from him might be like a 10 from Matt.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I expect exactly this from Gamespot. They're so big morons....

Bioshock: 9.0 PFUI
Corruption: 8.5 TSÈ
Twilight Princess 8.8: UMPF

I have played all three of those games, and both BioShock and TP deserved those scores. It's like most of the reviewers didn't play past the first half of those games.

The Corruption score isn't really justified, though.

I wish GameSpot wouldn't have changed their review system. A 9.6 and a 9.9 are two totally different things, and you can't express the difference well enough with a .0/.5 review system.

laserbeam

Banned
Xdrive05 said:
Everyone here would go nuts if true. It would be bigger news than the 1up 9.5 score.

But it's probably not gonna happen.

Seriously if GS gave the game a 10 it would cause shockwaves across the Earth as much as a 6.5 or 7 would cause. The pure shock of GS giving a Wii game a good score would cause all life to cease existence.

Top Bottom