• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Mario Galaxy Review Thread (1up - 9.5, EuroG - 10, GI - 9.75)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Guybrush Threepwood said:
I wish GameSpot wouldn't have changed their review system. A 9.6 and a 9.9 are two totally different things, and you can't express the difference well enough with a .0/.5 review system.

that distinction has always been essentially useless. good riddance

Xdrive05

Do we know for sure that Gerstmann is reviewing it? If so, 8.5 to 9 MAYBE. If it's anyone else, then 9.0 or 9.5.

I can't see anyone at Gamespot giving a 10 these days.

Bert409

As great a game Galaxy is, Matt's review score (not necessarily the review) isn't credible becsause he usually adds .5 to all (high-profile) Nintendo games simply because they're (high-profile) Nintendo games.

Of course, pretty much all reviewers do that to ALL high-profile games, so whatever.
Maybe the games are actually that good?

Ledsen

I have played all three of those games, and both BioShock and TP deserved those scores. It's like most of the reviewers didn't play past the first half of those games.

The Corruption score isn't really justified, though.

I wish GameSpot wouldn't have changed their review system. A 9.6 and a 9.9 are two totally different things, and you can't express the difference well enough with a .0/.5 review system.

I really, REALLY, REALLY hope this is a joke post.

Eteric Rice

Xdrive05 said:
Do we know for sure that Gerstmann is reviewing it? If so, 8.5 to 9 MAYBE. If it's anyone else, then 9.0 or 9.5.

I can't see anyone at Gamespot giving a 10 these days.

He gave Wario Ware Wii a pretty high rating, maybe he has a thing for weird games?

Insaniac

if GS can give Orange box a 9.5, Galaxy better be getting a 9.5

Of course they probably won't They'll mark it down for lack of a story, short single player (while neglecting co-op and the fact that 120 stars is longer than getting the minimum 60 stars)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Somewhere, Gerstmann's reading the last review, and grinning menacingly to himself.

Insaniac said:
if GS can give Orange box a 9.5, Galaxy better be getting a 9.5

Of course they probably won't They'll mark it down for lack of a story, short single player (while neglecting co-op and the fact that 120 stars is longer than getting the minimum 60 stars)

Use these excuses would be really a troll. A Mario never had a great story. No platformer did. Seriously. Why Gerstmann hasn't been fired long time ago ?

Insaniac

RagnarokX said:
Wow, Galaxy gets a 9.5 in graphics? I wonder what it would take for a 10...

I think Matt took the conservative route with graphics. Its only been a year into the Wii's life and this game looks amazing. Look at the 360, Gears came out a year after it launched, and now CoD4 looks amazing and runs at 60fps. So I think he just expects even more from the Wii in a year or more.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The only non-drama score they can give it is 9,0. Kids will go omgbbq over 8,5 or 9,5. So for the sake of the partying down committee in this thread, I hope it'll be one of the latter scores.

God, the Gamespot trolling is getting ridiculous. I'm not a fan of them either, but some of you guys are even worse than Gerstmann could ever be, really.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Darunia said:
The only non-drama score they can give it is 9,0. Kids will go omgbbq over 8,5 or 9,5. So for the sake of the partying down committee in this thread, I hope it'll be one of the latter scores.

somebody's looking for an excuse to post that cartoon party gif

Darunia said:

Yeah. That's exactly what now I'm expecting. But it would deserve more. If they are fair, they should give to Galaxy 9.5. It is slighty less then the average of 10 reviews.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
slaughterking said:
God, the Gamespot trolling is getting ridiculous. I'm not a fan of them either, but some of you guys are even worse than Gerstmann could ever be, really.

Nah.

laserbeam said:
Seriously if GS gave the game a 10 it would cause shockwaves across the Earth as much as a 6.5 or 7 would cause. The pure shock of GS giving a Wii game a good score would cause all life to cease existence.

So what is a "good" score nowadays? :lol

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
beelzebozo said:
somebody's looking for an excuse to post that cartoon party gif

oooh man I don't need an excuse for that. Party doooown

partytime.gif

slaughterking said:

No. 9.0 ot Bioshock and 9.1 to Wario Ware Wii ? DON'T.MAKE.ME.LAUGH !

Xdrive05

Darunia said:

I think the only non-drama score they could give is 9.5. If they give it a 9.0, then there would be something like the Parish-ton that took place earlier in the thread. 8.5 or 10 would make the internet collapse in on itself.

Dez said:
One thing I don't agree on is the sound being a 10. Yes the orchestrated tracks are great, but the non-orchestrated music is really average. The two best tracks are only used in their own levels, while many of the mediocre tracks are repeated quite often. The chimes and tunes to enter a level are really tinny synth, and are just annoying.

Um, weren't all of the (18 or 28?) tracks in the game orchestrated?
That's what I remember reading from the Iwata interviews.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Darunia said:
oooh man I don't need an excuse for that. Party doooown

http://www.darunia.dommel.be/gifs/partytime.gif[img][/QUOTE]
It's just not the same unless it's the original, [URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/MastahCrushed/4chan/Flash/lolicatgirlsHD.swf"]lolicatgirls.swf[/URL] [H]

RagnarokX

Insaniac said:
I think Matt took the conservative route with graphics. Its only been a year into the Wii's life and this game looks amazing. Look at the 360, Gears came out a year after it launched, and now CoD4 looks amazing and runs at 60fps. So I think he just expects even more from the Wii in a year or more.
Yeah, but 9.5 is the same score he gave Metroid Prime 3 for graphics.
IGN Matt said:
Mario Galaxy graphics: 9.5: Outstanding on Wii. The first Wii title that looks like it's really pushing the console. Great art combines with great tech for stunning results. Runs in 480p and 16:9 widescreen.

Metroid Prime 3 graphics: 9.5: Currently, Wii's best looking game. Retro's artistic sense is second to none. Prime 3 includes a welcomed variety of gorgeous planets to explore and runs in 480p / 16:9 at 60 frames per second.
Oh well, still a great score :D

Spike

Galaxy GOTF confirmed total.

360 has its 9.7 in Bioshock.
Wii has its 9.7 in Galaxy.

Will PS3 have its 9.7 in Uncharted?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I don't think any game this generation has deserved a '10' (i.e the highest achievable score by contemporary video game standards) so far. Everything about Galaxy makes me think it will buck that, but like 99% of you, I haven't played it yet.

slaughterking said:
Yeah, I knew that, but still... you didn't make any valid point.

I just made an example with Wario Ware and Bioshock. I understand the fact that maybe Gamespot want to be more severe with reviews and I absolutely agree, because notes are too high recently, but they cannot pretend to be serious with lowing the scores of only "high profile" games. I mean: if you want to be severe, you try with EVERY game, not only with those games who are more "attackable" then others.

Wii is particulary subject to this phenomen, because it hasn't HD Definition. But many other games not on Wii have the same treatment sometimes and I have always the impression that games that are not hyped aren't more subject.

In other words, I have this impression that Gamespot's reviews are not serious. Simply that. Often pointless and superficials and with trollish-attitude, their critics are often not constructives.

Again, there is liberty of press. But this doesn't mean I have to accept what a journalist say and most of all if the review (and I mean what he writes, not the note) is not based on objectivity.

Top Bottom