• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Mario Galaxy Review Thread (1up - 9.5, EuroG - 10, GI - 9.75)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Grecco said:
IGN Gave it a 9.7? Bah

Matt claimed it was "better" than 64 last pod cast. They gave 64 a 9.8... Oh well

He also said TP was better than OoT, but gave it a 9.5. (even lower than WW)

d[-_-]b

Banned
Grecco said:
IGN Gave it a 9.7? Bah

Matt claimed it was "better" than 64 last pod cast. They gave 64 a 9.8... Oh well
The real story is GS giving it a 9.5. it's like hell froze over repeatedly.

kman3000

When all is said and done, the thing that really makes Super Mario Galaxy such a standout game isn't the fact that it's another Mario game, but the fact that it doesn't even need to be a Mario game to be successful.
This was the most important part of the review in my opinion.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
d[-_-]b said:
The real story is GS giving it a 9.5. it's like hell froze over repeatedly.

It really does feel like that. A 10 from 1up would have been nice since they love giving them out, but whatever, Mario Galaxy is shaping up to be a GOTY contender.

Linkhero1 said:
Wow I truly didn't expect that score from GS. I expected it to get a 9.0.

I expected an 8.5 and a huge meltdown.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
not that i care about scores, but it's nice to see a classic game receive universal recognition for a change. good job, EAD tokyo!

AceBandage said:
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/supermario128/review.html?sid=6182474

Darunia said:
partytime.gif
7wfb02e.gif

neojubei said:
It really does feel like that. A 10 from 1up would have been nice since they love giving them out, but whatever, Mario Galaxy is shaping up to be a GOTY contender.
No no no. We already established that is a GOTF (Game of the Forever) contender.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I still would have preferred to see Gerstmann review it. Just for the lols.

Also, turns out he reviewed Sunshine too. Hmm....

~Kinggi~

Banned
underfooter said:
2007 has been a phenomenal year.
The 2 wii games in that list are the only great wii games of the year. I would hate to own only a wii, cause that had a pretty terrible year imo.

medrew

~Kinggi~ said:
The 2 wii games in that list are the only great wii games of the year. I would hate to own only a wii, cause that had a pretty terrible year imo.

And Zak and Wiki and RE4.
With a wait and see on RE:UC and Trauma Centre.

But by definition there should only ever be a few 'great' games for any console in a given time. Otherwise people get accustomed to that standard and a whole new benchmark is set as to what is acceptable (and this is why [in part] we have 'second' and 'third' wave games in console cycles).

~Kinggi~

Banned
d[-_-]b said:
Lawl troll more.
What? Its true though. I thought it was common opinion around here that wii is the shovelware system that gets the 2 great Nintendo games every year like the gamecube did. I mean, lets see...hmmm yeah it got 3 this year with paper mario. Just saying, for the wii only owners, unless your new to games, this has been a pretty bad year.

Evlar

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
What? Its true though. I thought it was common opinion around here that wii is the shovelware system that gets the 2 great Nintendo games every year like the gamecube did. I mean, lets see...hmmm yeah it got 3 this year with paper mario. Just saying, for the wii only owners, unless your new to games, this has been a pretty bad year.
Well, just like PS3 and 360. Only a handful of great games a year, and mostly shit otherwise.

RagnarokX

Grecco said:
IGN Gave it a 9.7? Bah

Matt's crazy like that. He said MP3 is the best game in the Prime series, but gave it a lower score than Metroid Prime 1 just because it was a sequel...

AniHawk

~Kinggi~ said:
Replace Paper Mario with Fire Emblem and you've got yourself a deal.

~Kinggi~ said:
who fucking cares

~Kinggi~

Banned
The Sphinx said:
Well, just like PS3 and 360. Only a handful of great games a year, and mostly shit otherwise.
Actually as far as 360 goes, that has had a pretty incredible year. Dont tell me you think the quantity of quality wii games is a good comparison to the 360? I mean even the ps3 gets the good multiplats also with a few exclusives.

~Kinggi~ said:

Not only are you presenting your opinion in a way that makes you look like an ignorant asshat, but posting this in a SUPER MARIO GALAXY thread is pretty fucking stupid.

And 3 good games? :lol :lol :lol

EDIT: And according to your standards, all three systems are getting "3 great games" a year.

Evlar

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
Actually as far as 360 goes, that has had a pretty incredible year. Dont tell me you think the quantity of quality wii games is a good comparison to the 360? I mean even the ps3 gets the good multiplats also with a few exclusives.
Nope, I can think of only three 360 games this year I wouldn't arbitrarily call shit. I thought that was common opinion around here.

Why are you getting so defensive? I'm agreeing with you.

TheLegend

~Kinggi~ said:
Here we go.

I think Wii had a relatively good lineup for its first full year. Compared to 360's spectacular year though, Wii AND PS3 were nowhere close. How many great games did PS3 have this year?

Anyway, GALAXY OMG. GTFO with this system wars shit.

~Kinggi~

Banned
FunkyMunkey said:
Not only are you presenting your opinion in a way that makes you look like an ignorant asshat, but posting this in a SUPER MARIO GALAXY thread is pretty fucking stupid.

And 3 good games? :lol :lol :lol
GREAT games. And yeah im done here, go back to talking about mario. Sorry for the derail.

Eteric Rice

~Kinggi~ said:

Get.

The fuck.

Out.

And the Wii has good games, they're just not high profile. Please stfu, thanks.

~Kinggi~ said:
GREAT games. And yeah im done here, go back to talking about mario. Sorry for the derail.

YOU said, and I quote:

~Kinggi~ said:

So it either gets shovelware or 2 great Nintendo games a year, according to you. You don't find that assumption ignorant at all?

Bildi

titiklabingapat said:
who fucking cares
Cut him some slack - when you're just starting out in the trolling game it's best to choose something easy. Pointing out that the two-year-old 360 has lots more games coming out than the one-year-old systems is a nice and easy angle. Because he's pointing out the obvious, it's not really trolling.

For what it's worth, I think it's kinda cute!

Alex N. is about the only reviewer I can trust at GS, great review by him. This is amazing, I dont think I have ever seen a game get such high marks from EVERYONE, there is almost always one that is the downer.

I cant wait for this game anymore.

~Kinggi~ said:

Well I guess that depends on who you are speaking to, for me the Wii has had a great year. I got RE 4 Wii, Super Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 3, Twilight Pirncess (got my wii in feb) Fire Emblem, BWii and will be getting Mario Galaxy, Nights, RE:UC and some others I know I am forgetting. Reviews aside, I'd say that is a pretty damn good year.

Eteric Rice

Bildi said:
Cut him some slack - when you're just starting out in the trolling game it's best to choose something easy. Pointing out that the two-year-old 360 has lots more games coming out than the one-year-old systems is a nice and easy angle. Because he's pointing out the obvious, it's not really trolling.

For what it's worth, I think it's kinda cute!

So if I point out that most of the 360's best sellers are in fact shooters, it wouldn't be trolling? :lol

Evlar

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
Alex N. is about the last reviewer I can trust at GS, great review by him. This is amazing, I dont think I have ever seen a game get such high marks from EVERYONE, there is almost always one that is the downer.

I cant wait for this game anymore.
Bioshock was pretty similar, though obviously Gamespot crashed that party. There's usually one or two per year.

I still can't believe I managed to snag my preorder for only £22.50, it feels like I'm going to be stealing something from Nintendo, at that price.

Eteric Rice

~Kinggi~ said:
Nah im just laughing at the fact that ive posted quite a bit ago that i would let you lads get back to the mario praise and you guys are still at it. :lol

You expect to troll a thread and not get bitched at?

One does not simply leave a thread after stiring up shit. There are forms...

Evlar

Banned
brain_stew said:
I still can't believe I managed to snag my preorder for only £22.50, it feels like I'm going to be stealing something from Nintendo, at that price.
That's actually pretty close to the manufacturer's recommended price in the states. :lol

(I suppose that price includes tax though)

Dr.Hadji

Grecco said:
IGN Gave it a 9.7? Bah

Well Matt also thinks Banjo and Kazooie is better than Mario 64 soo............

~Kinggi~ said:

I somewhat agree, but because they will both probably be my two favorite games all year, I can overlook it. That and RE:UC.

Plus, if you don't like FPS, how many great 360 games are there?

Regardless, this isn't the thread for that kind of talk. I can't f'in believe Mario is coming out so soon. I feel like a kid again.

Top Bottom