• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix thread

webrunner

Seiken said:
FUCK!!!!

aGPRQtMlr.gif

Are the new sprites slightly smaller? Or just the images?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I don't care what they redrawn, they both look good anyways. I just want the damn game, plus people should worry about getting there ass handed to them by me on PSN then worry about what their pants look like :lol

also, the old style looks Udon has been playing too much SF3:3S too much and wanted to improve on it. Maybe Capcom didn't like that?

Ploid 3.0

Ken Masters said:
capcom saying file size won't be an issue is complete bullshit, he obviously said that statement just to shut people up about it

Well we'll know if it's over MS' arcade size limit. If it's within arcade's size limit and the sound is flat and we have less bgm than they wanted to put in, we got boned. But hey we get to play the game. Right?

g35twinturbo said:
I don't care what they redrawn, they both look good anyways. I just want the damn game, plus people should worry about getting there ass handed to them by me on PSN then worry about what their pants look like :lol

Sounds like the net code is going to be pimp. Please have the lobbies work and not fail like puzzle fighter.

Ploid 3.0

Maybe with this less detail system they will be able to spit out Alpha3 HD and later SF3 HD with even more frames (3 years in the making). The Net code is now there. Time to start the milkage.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ploid 3.0 said:
Maybe with this less detail system they will be able to spit out Alpha3 HD and later SF3 HD with even more frames (3 years in the making). The Net code is now there.
I'd buy a HD 3S twice.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Ploid 3.0 said:
Sounds like the net code is going to be pimp. Please have the lobbies work and not fail like puzzle fighter.
exactly, I love puzzle fighter but geeez!

I rather have a less detailed lag free match than a high details laggy match anyday. The new style isn't even bad for Christ sakes.

Sweet. We should be seeing the Beta before June I'd assume. I can't wait to check the game out. The new hit-box view looks pretty interesting, should be good for practicing.

GrayFoxPL

Ken Masters said:
capcom saying file size won't be an issue is complete bullshit, he obviously said that statement just to shut people up about it

Most likely it means they are scraping 1080 res art and are going with 720. They said some time ago that they don't know if they'll do 1080 art.

h3ro

Hmm... suddenly the file size isn't an issue... MS helped a lot... sudden loss of detail in all characters... neither version is gimped... riiiiiight.

I wanted this game to be completely rendered in 1080p with lossless soundtracks... guess thats not happening anymore...

939067_20080312_screen002.jpg

Looks better in my opinion. Cleaner and more professional. The other one looked good but had a lot of odd deformed feet and thumbs and muscle structure that didn't make sense, among other things. It was more crude than this. Sucks for the delay, but it's understandable.

:lol Why does the word "rescue" look like it was hand written on that plane?

jmdajr

h3ro said:
Hmm... suddenly the file size isn't an issue... MS helped a lot... sudden loss of detail in all characters... neither version is gimped... riiiiiight.

I wanted this game to be completely rendered in 1080p with lossless soundtracks... guess thats not happening anymore...

yeah that frame count better be EXACTLY the same.

None of this GIMPED 2d fighters from the PSONE era.

h3ro

MicVlaD said:
Also: to hell with 1080p. 720p is good enough.

MicVlad has a 720p TV: Confirmed :p

Native 1080p games look gorgeous and my TV's scaler isn't that great so 720p source material loses a little definition when upscaled by my TV, hence my preference for 1080p

f@luS

More than a member.
Sanjay said:
ssf2_hd_01.jpg

wtf have they done, looks like graphics filters with Super 2xSaI / Super Eagle you get with emulators.
yeah looks like its now upscaled and not 1080p nat. And this is really much less detailed. not even talking about muscles , veins , or hair. It is just blurry. this really sux

shinjijai

f@luS said:
yeah looks like its now upscaled and not 1080p nat. And this is really much less detailed. not even talking about muscles , veins , or hair. It is just blurry. this really sux

For what's it worth, the blog explains why it's "blurry".

Skilletor

f@luS said:

capcom's blog said:
(Please note that this screen has not gone through the edge clean up process the other one has gone through, so it may seem a *little fuzzy.)

Mamesj

Banned
Sanjay said:
ssf2_hd_01.jpg

wtf have they done, looks like graphics filters with Super 2xSaI / Super Eagle you get with emulators.

Yeah, it's so fucking ugly, I just wanna gouge out my eyes then pour bleach in the sockets to cleanse them. This is far worse than even the ugliest Atari 2600 game and I hope Capcom goes bankrupt.

wat

_leech_ said:
As much as I like the old-school style, I liked the earlier design of the fireball better:

2z8qccm.jpg

Oh man! Yes! Thats how it used to be in Super Street Fighter II and thats what i loved about this game. Now i know why the hand-doken blew my mind.

That said, game looks great. Kinda irritated that they ditched the old art. They fixed some stuff, but ruined alot more. Ken and Ryu's face look horrible compared to the old style :/

In the original style, we were going using at least 6-8 tones to go from the darkest to the lightest values of a particular color. This, as some fans actually pointed out, is extremely hard to do. We decided to stick it out and go with that route and unfortunately, it didn’t work out too well.

Udon’s suggestion was to take the tones down to about 4. So now, a particular color will go through about 4 shades when going to light to dark. Some tweaking was also done to the line art to match this new rendering style as well. The overall result is a different style that is still going to be in full HD, but will be more efficient to animate and therefore get the game to you guys sooner. It also looks pretty damned good.

Translation: We gimped the game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Mamesj said:
Yeah, it's so fucking ugly, I just wanna gouge out my eyes then pour bleach in the sockets to cleanse them. This is far worse than even the ugliest Atari 2600 game and I hope Capcom goes bankrupt.

wat
:lol :lol

h3ro said:
MicVlad has a 720p TV: Confirmed :p

Native 1080p games look gorgeous and my TV's scaler isn't that great so 720p source material loses a little definition when upscaled by my TV, hence my preference for 1080p
Yes, and I don't see the need for buying a 1080p HDTV any time soon either, most of which are needlessly large in my opinion. Not to mention that plenty of developers still have trouble developing proper 720p games, as in: little to no framerate drops, little to no screen tearing and so forth. I especially don't want a native 1080p resolution in todays games when shit like Lair happens, or crap where EA thought it made sense to cut the framerate of some of their games IN HALF just to please the few people that are into that kind of thing.

Maybe it can be done right when the next generation of consoles will hit, whenever that is.

shagg_187 said:
That said, game looks great. Kinda irritated that they ditched the old art. They fixed some stuff, but ruined alot more. Ken and Ryu's face look horrible compared to the old style :/
Ryu's face looks pretty much the same. Ken's face on the other hand... :p

yurinka

Less details and less colors means better compression. Obviously is to save space. Fuck MS limits. Obviously they don't have the 150MB limit but it doesn't mean that MS allowed a some GB game like in PSN.

But still looks great. Can't wait!

CPS2

It wasn't that long ago, they said multiple soundtracks may be impossible due to the file size limit. Now we have multiple soundtracks and hit box display. They also said that they art style has changed because they weren't happy with how it looks, and it will speed up the process. I personally think it looks better, and wouldn't be surprised if the download ends up over 150MB due to the added content. I think that's what the blog was saying, MS let them go above the limit. Seems unrelated to the art from what I can tell.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Sanjay said:

Hmm... =/ Yeah, this is a step back. Not because of the loss of muscle definition, but because of the loss of definition on the details. His face, hair, gloves, fingers, etc. His new face/hair looks very ugly.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
It looks MUCH better now... no more over-pronounced muscles and crooked fingers and toes - it even looks like an animated movie now...

Loved the news that MS came in the work out whatever was holding back the XBLA version - nice.

Aside from the HUD and Ken's face, I totally approve of the new art direction...

And I laugh at the people that never noticed the hands in the Hadouken...

v0yce

I liked their original direction as I like Udon and their comics and was looking forward to playing SF Udon style.

But the new style looks great and very "Capcom" (Alphaish). And will probably please more people this way.

No complaints eithe way from me. Well except that I'm tired of waiting and want to play it sometime soon.

Agent X

I think it looks excellent, except for the fonts. I hope they are simply placeholder fonts and not the fonts that will be in the final game.

CPS2

Elbrain said:
So what is the ETA on this game has it been delayed even further?

Commando 3 is due April, and then the 8 week beta starts, so June at the earliest, more likely to be July or later. It's been slated for Q2 anyway.

BitchTits

The last thing I’ll mention is concerning the talks the have been occurring online concerning the filesize of the game with respect to features on the 360 and the PS3 versions. I can officially say that the filesize will not be an issue. With great help from the guys at Microsoft, we will be able to offer the same features on both platforms to the same quality as each other. To use the term I’ve been reading on the forums, neither console version will be “gimped” due to any kind of limitation.

That's the best part from the recent blog post. I was worried for the 360 version there for a while.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
UC1 said:
Commando 3 is due April, and then the 8 week beta starts, so June at the earliest, more likely to be July or later. It's been slated for Q2 anyway.

Ah man that sucks oh well there are plenty of games anyways too keep me busy till that time.

Eiji

Kirk said:
It's only in certain frames, and it was always obvious if you saw the right frame. It's easier to see in the arcade than in the SNES version.

I've always noticed the hado-hands in the arcade versions.

ofpwuu.gif

Top Bottom