• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix thread

Vormund

Nocebo said:
And why is Ryu's lastname "GreenBeard"? :(

That's the players Xbox Live Gamertag.

edit: I prefer the old health and super meters they had before...just looked a bit fresher.

A thing I don't like is the way the Super meter partially covers the characters. (well the feet anyway) Maybe they could put them down a bit further or even perhaps below the health meter would be good.

Old style was immensely better. The new style looks like upscaled SF:A sprites to me. Even SF3 sprites when upscaled have as much detail.

It looks blurry as hell too.

WTH.. blah.

LowParry

I'm extremely ashamed to admit this but I have never noticed the hands within the fireball from a "hadoken". I fucking am not worthy. Just not. :(

GrayFoxPL

Marty Chinn said:
It's a shame that they couldn't just include both and there's an option to select. I like elements in both.

BTW, I just have to brag, but here's why my wife rules. :D

Me: <Posts link to the new image>
Wife: whoa, what's that?
Me: that's the new Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD remake capcom is doing. That' ryu shirt i have is from that
Wife: it makes me want to play it again! I love the look
Me: It's the old game with all new high def art
Wife: so pretty, when does it come out?
Me: summer I think, the fireball has my mind blown
Wife: ya! so damn cool

I love my wife :D

Now I love your wife too! :]

jmdajr

It's not the first time Ken has been drawn with crazy eyebrows.

ken20masters.jpg

kenpro.jpg

and there are far more examples out there.

Lyte Edge said:
It doesn't matter; people are going to bitch about the artwork no matter what. What does matter is that this delay is killing the game's hype. It really does seem like SF4 is going to be out in arcades before HD Remix is released.

How about why haven't they changed Ken's portrait to match his updated head?

Because that would probably require a completely new art pipeline, and require time and energy, and as we read on the Capcom blog, clearly, nobody working on this project seems to care that much anymore.

Perdew

The-Switcher said:
Because that would probably require a completely new art pipeline, and require time and energy, and as we read on the Capcom blog, clearly, nobody working on this project seems to care that much anymore.

They straight up said the game didn't look good, so they simplified the art. How is that not caring?

There IS love in this project, especially on the rebalancing side of things. Hiring Sirlin was probably the best thing they could have done for this project. I'm much happier with them doing the sprites this way, rather than retracing old sprites exactly and then adding creepy veins.

Perdew said:
They straight up said the game didn't look good, so they simplified the art. How is that not caring?

There IS love in this project, especially on the rebalancing side of things. Hiring Sirlin was probably the best thing they could have done for this project. I'm much happier with them doing the sprites this way, rather than retracing old sprites exactly and then adding creepy veins.

Yeah, that's EXACTLY how they did it.

Haven't you seen the footage? The game looks awesome running on the old art style. Nothing wrong with it. The problem? Capcom hired a shitty in-betweener company, and instead, forced Udon to do the entire thing. Then what happens?

"This is gonna take too long, reduce all the color layers and simplify everything."

That's not caring. That's people realizing they bit off way more than they can chew.

Sirlin's rebalancing thing is awesome though, but that's not what's holding up the game, what's holding up the game is the art.

webrunner

The-Switcher said:

Haven't you seen the footage? The game looks awesome running on the old art style. Nothing wrong with it. The problem? Capcom hired a shitty in-betweener company, and instead, forced Udon to do the entire thing. Then what happens?

"This is gonna take too long, reduce all the color layers and simplify everything."

That's not caring. That's people realizing they bit off way more than they can chew.

Sirlin's rebalancing thing is awesome though, but that's not what's holding up the game, what's holding up the game is the art.

More detailed art is not necessarily better. Look at Patapon.

Perdew

The-Switcher said:

Didn't the blog say they still needed to outsource the 'tweening and that Udon still just does the keyframes? Also... was there actually direct feed of the old art? I'm gonna go double check that. All I know is in motion, the new art looks fantastic; plus we have KoFXII with a smarter workflow and better animation to fill the HD-2D void.

(I'm putting SFIIHD sprites on par with Blaz Blue in terms of detail/animation now)

EDIT:

So this was the best I could find quickly:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/121409.html
Compared to:
http://www.gamespot.com/video/939066/6187674/super-street-fighter-ii-turbo-hd-remix-interview-1

Yea, I don't know.

ukiraros

It doesn't really matter to me if they changed the looks of the characters. I just wanted it as soon as possible.

Also, I never knew about the hands in the fireball either.

Interestingly enough, in that video, it looks like Ryu has the no-hands fireball UNLIKE that screenshot, but LIKE the old versions of ST. Ken still has the hands one though.

EdgeTurn

The-Switcher said:

Souinds to me like they care, and they want to be realistic about what they can get done in time. Games have budgets, and sometimes things get changed during development to meet those budgets. I personally am thrilled with the more Alpha-styled sprites rather than the janky "Fist of the Northstar meets Rob Liefeld" anatomy we were getting before. I would much rather have simpler sprites that animate well (in terms of consistent details on each frame, not framerate). Besides, doing nice clean sprites like these still takes a massive amount of effort and skill.

If they didn't care, they would have just kept the old style and not bothered trying to fix the quality issues they were having with the inbetweened frames.

Shocking to see people not knowing about the hands in the fireball, almost as shocking people not knowing about SF3. Shocking..

And the pics are awesome. My God, I want this game so bad.

Mamesj said:
Yeah, it's so fucking ugly, I just wanna gouge out my eyes then pour bleach in the sockets to cleanse them. This is far worse than even the ugliest Atari 2600 game and I hope Capcom goes bankrupt.

wat
Post the video or it never happened what you said.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Shots from 1up looks so... "okay".

MCD

tahrikmili said:
I have to say this ok.. either my memory fails or i'm full of shit but imo upscaled SF3:3S looks better than this.
because it looks like a flash game.

that's what i think anyway...

aktham

Some of you may not be exposed to ST as much as I am (tournament player), but this game looks leaps and bounds better than Arcade version or any home release. It must be the nostalgia when you say "it doesn't look much better" or "i don't like the new look, it's worse now". I just hope this game sells so well that Sirlin decides to give 3s the same treatment (mainly to nerf CKY a little bit leave the mids alone for the most part and make weaker characters more competitive). Oh and give Urien 3 short Aegis bars:D :D :D jk

Grayman

aktham said:
Some of you may not be exposed to ST as much as I am (tournament player), but this game looks leaps and bounds better than Arcade version or any home release. It must be the nostalgia when you say "it doesn't look much better" or "i don't like the new look, it's worse now". I just hope this game sells so well that Sirlin decides to give 3s the same treatment (mainly to nerf CKY a little bit leave the mids alone for the most part and make weaker characters more competitive). Oh and give Urien 3 short Aegis bars:D :D :D jk
It definiately looks better than the original releases but some people aren't liking the new version of HD as much as they liked the old one. As someone else said, it looks like it has one of the emulator filters running blurring it up now.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
jmdajr said:
It's not the first time Ken has been drawn with crazy eyebrows.

ken20masters.jpg

Isnt that just fanart? Crazy eyebrows has been an anime staple for a long time, and Ken sprite in alpha had his eyebrows like that.

kurahadol

DaCocoBrova said:
Woah. The animation looks horrid. I play the OG version on my PSP almost daily and it looks substantially smoother.

I'll blame the video encoding and continue to give this the benefit of the doubt.

There's no way that is as bad as it looks...good lord man. Hopefully something good will come of waiting til fall...because right now...god help us.

Perdew

DaCocoBrova said:
Woah. The animation looks horrid. I play the OG version on my PSP almost daily and it looks substantially smoother.

I'll blame the video encoding and continue to give this the benefit of the doubt.

It's the exact same animation, frame by frame. It's just that they are upgrading the sprites and NOT the animation that gives it that jerky feel. Plus, depending on the PSP you may see it ghosting slightly, which would make it look a little smoother (I love my PSP but it's definitely true on mine)

camineet

Banned
They need to up the level of detail in both the characters and backgrounds. Right now it looks too much like a FLASH game, and too much like the Alpha style.

It does not look bad though, the art looks good. Just increase the detail.

Also there's nothing that can or should be done about the animation, it's got to be based on the old game, or the entire gameplay will be too different.

camineet said:
They need to up the level of detail in both the characters and backgrounds. Right now it looks too much like a FLASH game, and too much like the Alpha style.

Also there's nothing that can or should be done about the animation, it's got to be based on the old game, or the entire gameplay will be too different.

Don't hold your breath, because this recent art re-do will be the final one. Because the older, more detailed designs were taking too long to complete.

camineet

Banned
The-Switcher said:
Don't hold your breath, because this recent art re-do will be the final one. Because the older, more detailed designs were taking too long to complete.

Yeah I guess so. We'll have to wait until Super Street Fighter II Turbo: 2nd HD Remix :lol

f@luS

More than a member.
camineet said:

yeah seriously , beside the HD , it doesnt look too good. GGX background are far more detailed. This look kinda bland and flash-like.

Mr Jared

DaCocoBrova said:

kurahadol said:
There's no way that is as bad as it looks...good lord man. Hopefully something good will come of waiting til fall...because right now...god help us.

Hm..

alkaline black a few pages ago said:
Having played it, my only concern at this point is whether or not people understand why the animation "sucks" and I don't think most people will. It looks amazing, but the animation is still strictly Super Turbo.

Hunahan

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:

What they need to do is add graphical "flourishes" without changing the frame data or hit boxes.

When Ryu's in his hadouken pose, for example, they could easily make the gi flap or his hair rustle a bit - similar to the animation in his victory pose - without really changing much about the way the game plays.

Little steps like that would go a long way, and not really add a whole lot of extra work either, I'd imagine.

camineet

Banned
I also just noticed how they changed the air-intake of the F-16, it no longer looks like the signature F-16 intake anymore:

J8mU_1205442273_SSF2F16o.jpg

7wAp_1205442298_SSF2F16HD.jpg

So with two intakes (like the EuroFighter) it must be a new jet with two engines ?? :lol

Unless I'm looking at it wrong....

camineet said:
I also just noticed how they changed the air-intake of the F-16, it no longer looks like the signature F-16 intake anymore:

J8mU_1205442273_SSF2F16o.jpg

7wAp_1205442298_SSF2F16HD.jpg

So with two intakes (like the EuroFighter) it must be a new jet with two engines ?? :lol

Unless I'm looking at it wrong....

You're looking at it right, it's very funny too. :lol

Hunahan said:
What they need to do is add graphical "flourishes" without changing the frame data or hit boxes.

When Ryu's in his hadouken pose, for example, they could easily make the gi flap or his hair rustle a bit - similar to the animation in his victory pose - without really changing much about the way the game plays.

Little steps like that would go a long way, and not really add a whole lot of extra work either, I'd imagine.

I get what you're saying, but that's still adding frames. If the original code called for 1 frame to be held for 30ish counts (which is what occurs for the fierce hadoken), making his gi or headband flap, would technically be changing the frame call outs from 1 frame to however many it would take to animate holding the pose.

It would be cool, but keeping strictly to what they've said they're doing to the game (not altering gameplay/framecounts), this it out of that scope. But they've suprised us before so you never know.

Top Bottom