• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix thread

Xenon

Looks better to me but if they could find some middle ground between the two it would be perfect. Its almost too clean/cartoonish now. Also the hands in the Hand-oken should not be so clear.

It's a shame that they couldn't just include both and there's an option to select. I like elements in both.

BTW, I just have to brag, but here's why my wife rules. :D

Me: <Posts link to the new image>
Wife: whoa, what's that?
Me: that's the new Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD remake capcom is doing. That' ryu shirt i have is from that
Wife: it makes me want to play it again! I love the look
Me: It's the old game with all new high def art
Wife: so pretty, when does it come out?
Me: summer I think, the fireball has my mind blown
Wife: ya! so damn cool

I love my wife :D

Pachinko

Good god you people are the pickiest bunch of whiners on earth. Did I read one post correctly? You're bitching about the font used? Fer chrissake.

Sucks that they had lose 50% of the detail but on the other hand it'd be nice to play it this year instead of 2016 when the full on 8 shade remake would have been done.

I love how in the blog post, the producer's like....

"We didn't want to release art that's just 'good enough' so we took a long hard decision and..."

"...reduced all the color shades and detail because it was taking too long."

AT CAPCOM, WE CARE!!!!

Pachinko said:
Good god you people are the pickiest bunch of whiners on earth. Did I read one post correctly? You're bitching about the font used? Fer chrissake.

Sucks that they had lose 50% of the detail but on the other hand it'd be nice to play it this year instead of 2016 when the full on 8 shade remake would have been done.

Actually the font does look bad. The overall HUD I think needs to look better. If I really wanted to play the game, I can turn on my arcade cabinet. I'd rather them take longer and get it awesome than try to get it out by a deadline to play soon. What's the rush?

kurahadol

The thing about the ol fire hands is that they seem way too noticeable in this. The reason they were skipped over by most last time (besides the non-HD graphics) is that it was very subtle, this time they're just...there. This could change in motion though, who knows.

Spasm

Sign me up for the new art style. The previous style was sitting uncomfortably between cartoon and painting with just a hint of Liefeldian retardation.

The-Switcher said:
I love how in the blog post, the producer's like....

"We didn't want to release art that's just 'good enough' so we took a long hard decision and..."

"...reduced all the color shades and detail because it was taking too long."

AT CAPCOM, WE CARE!!!!

:lol Oh man, when you put it like that...

A_Rival

Ryu's hands have always been in the fireball(ken's too) since SF2.

What people don't seem to grasp is that the game would look HORRENDOUS if not for the art change. There were good Udon keyframes, but the in-betweens would've looked PATHETIC. Seriously. Animations would've looked hokey and people would DEFINITELY not take this game seriously.

This delay is a BLESSING. You think people complain a lot now with just these stills? You'd never hear the end of it if they stayed on the same track and the game actually came out looking like butt.

The new artstyle is fine, and looks great in motion. You'll see.

-A

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
A_Rival said:
What people don't seem to grasp is that the game would look HORRENDOUS if not for the art change. There were good Udon keyframes, but the in-betweens would've looked PATHETIC. Seriously. Animations would've looked hokey and people would DEFINITELY not take this game seriously.

We're supposed to take this game seriously now? It's a port! How seriously are we supposed to take a 15 year old game? If they fuck it up, they fuck it up. Capcom already shot this game in the foot with SF4. With a ton of other fighters due out and KOF XII looking like the HD hotness, it's already easy to not take this game seriously. =P

Kirk

I gotta say I much prefer the old art style. But after seeing that video, I also think the new style looks good in motion.

20 bucks says the HUD people are bitching about is still "placeholder". If it's not...man that's pretty half-assed.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Reilly said:
Did he say NO single-player mode?

Not in the beta. Which I believe he was referring to.

Game looks good. Lets hope it's out at a time frame where it'll matter.

Teknoman

Marty Chinn said:
It's a shame that they couldn't just include both and there's an option to select. I like elements in both.

BTW, I just have to brag, but here's why my wife rules. :D

Me: <Posts link to the new image>
Wife: whoa, what's that?
Me: that's the new Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD remake capcom is doing. That' ryu shirt i have is from that
Wife: it makes me want to play it again! I love the look
Me: It's the old game with all new high def art
Wife: so pretty, when does it come out?
Me: summer I think, the fireball has my mind blown
Wife: ya! so damn cool

I love my wife :D

Lucky bastard :lol Closest thing i've ever had was a girl that was into running around in GTA and Mario.

Kintaro said:
Not in the beta. Which I believe he was referring to.

Game looks good. Lets hope it's out at a time frame where it'll matter.

Certainly doesn't look like it will, not at this pace.

Was there anything wrong with that footage? No, there wasn't. But it was taking too long to make the entire game look that good!

So, of course, loose all the detail, and let's bang this thing out as fast as humanly possible, folks.

Despite not have as much intricate detail it looks better and much more cohesive. The last time, we had people bitch all about the overall detailed angular muscles (though not really me). This more rounded off design seems more fitting for Capcom's style though, so it really works.

The only shame is not having such high resolution sprite work not be better animated in a brand new Street Fighter game, would look marvelous.

A_Rival

See! Told you it looks good! :p

Remake or not, there's a certain level quality that needs to be maintained. To say that a remake of a game is not to be held to the same standards of quality is either ignorant or just plain stupid.

-A

camineet

Banned
Wow, I've know about the hands-in-the-fireball since 1991, 1992 (Arcade, SNES) :lol

edit: the loss of detail is unfortunate, but the artwork is better now. If only they could combine the best of both, the new art with the old amount of detail.

Now I can only hope they use more parallax scrolling compared to what was shown late last year.

Jirotrom

939067_20080312_screen002.jpg

Why are the thumbs on the fireball deformed while Ryu's thumbs are ok?

xemumanic

Ploid 3.0 said:
Glad MS let them use the size they wanted. No chance of PS3's version being gimped now. Win Win.

I knew from the outset that MS would allow them to break the size limit if needed. It's pretty damn obvious MS is willing to break that rule when it needs to be.

Limitations bring out the best in people. Only when all has been done within the constraints (without having to cut stuff) should this ever happen though, and this is one of those times.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
A_Rival said:
This delay is a BLESSING. You think people complain a lot now with just these stills? You'd never hear the end of it if they stayed on the same track and the game actually came out looking like butt.

The new artstyle is fine, and looks great in motion. You'll see.

-A

It doesn't matter; people are going to bitch about the artwork no matter what. What does matter is that this delay is killing the game's hype. It really does seem like SF4 is going to be out in arcades before HD Remix is released.

Jirotrom said:
939067_20080312_screen002.jpg

Why are the thumbs on the fireball deformed while Ryu's thumbs are ok?

How about why haven't they changed Ken's portrait to match his updated head?

Azrael

Ploid 3.0 said:
Glad MS let them use the size they wanted. No chance of PS3's version being gimped now. Win Win.

Unless MS' help amounted to, "Hey, if you reduce the detail and colors in the art, the game will fit within the 150 MB size limit" =P.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wait so basically, if I want my 8 weeks beta of SSFIITHDR, I'll have to buy "Commando"? What's that?

Something about the shading, particularly in the backgrounds, just doesn't look right to me. I can't think how to properly describe it, but it just doesn't look cartoony enough. I mean, the drawings/frames, though not ideal, are well stylized, but the way it's colored and shaded... the color gradients are too detailed? I dunno, I'm out of my element trying to explain why everything looks ''off'' to me. Nitpicking though, I'll be there day one.

Top Bottom