• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix thread

Jirotrom

Lyte Edge said:
Let's also not forget that the original Super Street Fighter II artwork is from 1993, people. The "anime style" was different back then, and I think that Udon is doing a good job keeping the flavor of the original art combined with their own style.
Seriously people what do you want...its a different style. People are saying bla bla it doesnt fit realistically. YOU SHOOT FIREBALLS OUT OF YOUR HANDS IN THIS GAME! HD doesnt mean life like. Be glad they are even attempting to do this. Also remember they are keeping the hit detection the same and and are not adding frames...no matter what the game will feel a little archaic.

It probably wont compare to Mark of the Wolves or Third Strike in animation but this is a testing ground for them the least we can do is support them and give them feedback .(granted from the looks of thing we are giving them bad feedback on the damn look of guile which has been portrayed like 15 different ways in the history of streetfighter).

Jirotrom

Prime crotch said:
I can't wait to see people bitching about the animation, when we already know how it's going to end up.
that will be hilarious. OMG IT LOOKS SO CRAPPY>>>>THEY NEED TO ADD MORE FRAMES!

Sapiens

Jirotrom said:
Seriously people what do you want...its a different style. People are saying bla bla it doesnt fit realistically. YOU SHOOT FIREBALLS OUT OF YOUR HANDS IN THIS GAME! HD doesnt mean life like. Be glad they are even attempting to do this. Also remember they are keeping the hit detection the same and and are not adding frames...no matter what the game will feel a little archaic.

It probably wont compare to Mark of the Wolves or Third Strike in animation but this is a testing ground for them the least we can do is support them and give them feedback .(granted from the looks of thing we are giving them bad feedback on the damn look of guile which has been portrayed like 15 different ways in the history of streetfighter).

I dont recall ever complaining about having more realistic art - just good art. And Udon has not been serving that up for the most part.

Also, Guile has really only been portrayed in two ways. The SF2 sprite and the SFA sprite. SNK made a sprite for SVC, so thats 3 all together - and none of those seemed to fcuk it up as bad as this new one has.

karasu said:
Can we just start calling 'anime art' ****ing Japanese now?

Well Udon are Canadian last I checked.

Call me crazy, but I always thought "animu" was the term used to describe this bullshit. This Bullshit being defined as non-Japanese c@nts riding the Japanese baloney pony.

sp0rsk said:
Please for god's sake find another ****ing word to describe this shit.

Udon specializes is poorly aping Capcom style art.

Bad Art aptly describes Udon's output IMO. We could shorten it to "bart" if we need a single word.

Like someone said in another thread; they should have just gotten Akiman, Bengus, or another Capcom artist to do the key frames, then let these tools do the tweens.

Udon is the government cheese to Capcom dairy cheese.

I don't think what Udon's doing is that hard to do, here's an Cammy sprite that I redrew in high-res, took me an hour or so, some parts got cropped :/

Cammy.jpg

I checked Eternal Challenge for reference as well as to try to maintain the original style, can't wait to check Udon's version.

Jirotrom

sapiens said:
I dont recall ever complaining about having more realistic art - just good art. And Udon has not been serving that up for the most part.

Also, Guile has really only been portrayed in two ways. The SF2 sprite and the SFA sprite. SNK made a sprite for SVC, so thats 3 all together - and none of those seemed to fcuk it up as bad as this new one has.
I was exaggerating about the 12 different ways...but I was speaking of the anime versions of guile also.

bigben85 said:
"Bad art?

Or "It's not Anime so it sucks!"?"

It is funny that anyone that knows me knows that I am not a fan of anime.

I think this wouldn't be criticized as much at a message board like gamefaqs..I think the reason that people here are more critical is because 1) they are usually adults (unlike other game boards), 2) there are more than a few artists around. 3) The original had a nice style and no amount of this bad art. Look at their hands, I haven't seen one that's not awkward looking.

now look at SFIII. every one has big feet and chun li has huge hugh thigh...some may not like it, but they were still well drawn (good anatomy within the SFIII style etc.)

bad art is when you draw things that are supposed to represent real life off.

if I draw a square table that is supposed to represent a table we see daily...but I give it 9 legs, and they are all crocked and tilted. do you think I have done a good job of illustrating what a square table looks like? It hurts my eyes looking at those joints and what is supposed to be muscles.

I would probably care less if it is not capcom and is not SF, but SF deserves much better...only thing worst I have seen is the mega man 1 cover art lol (ok this one is just a joke).
this is what I was talking about when i mentioned realistic.

God, what a failure of a thread. We finally get a HD SF after all these years with brand new sprite 2D artwork over the same bullsh*t Capcom has used for the same decade, and people bitch about the proportions being different from the bullsh*t decade old sprites people didn't want anymore?!

Seriously, this is why we don't deserve good things!

Jirotrom

Icomeinpeace said:
I don't think what Udon's doing is that hard to do, here's an Cammy sprite that I redrew in high-res, took me an hour or so, some parts got cropped :/

Cammy.jpg

I checked Eternal Challenge for reference as well as to try to maintain the original style, can't wait to check Udon's version.
Its pretty difficult when you are trying to match the frames and hit detections of the original game.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
God, what a failure of a thread. We finally get a HD SF after all these years with brand new sprite 2D artwork over the same bullsh*t Capcom has used for the same decade, and people bitch about the proportions being different from the bullsh*t decade old sprites people didn't want anymore?!

Seriously, this is why we don't deserve good things!

Stick it.

This is Capcom sloppy seconds. Capcom is too busy churning out the adventures of Asian cinema stars and effete goth boys in the third dimension to deliver a real Street Fighter sequel.

I'd rather see Arc Systems be handed the keys to the SF car.

If Udon and Crapcom USA continue down this course; SF4 is going to be a f@cking nightmare.

Yes, this is some straight up Western hate.

This is god damn Beggin' Strips!

GIVE ME REAL BACON CAPCOM!

Pachinko

I'd like to formally open up a 1600 gallon tank of STFU on everyone complaining about the new sprites becuase despite all of the bitching pissing and moaning about how akuma's kanji is slightly off or guiles muscles being too big or whatever other retarded nitpicking ALL OF YOU BITCHERS WILL BUY THE GAME becuase you're all a bunch of sheep.

I'm happy with whatever capcom decides to do here and well would you rather have super street fighter 2 turbo for 10 bucks or a hidef redraw of it for 10 bucks. I'd take the latter any day seeing as you can find 9 billion different versions of the former. So suck it up shut up and go die in a hole somewhere, jesus.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Stick it.

This is Capcom sloppy seconds. Capcom is too busy churning out the adventures of Asian cinema stars and effete goth boys in the third dimension to deliver a real Street Fighter sequel.

If Udon and Crapcom USA continue down this course; SF4 is going to be a f@cking nightmare.

I think there's a SF4 petition online somewhere you might want to sign.

Jirotrom

The Take Out Bandit said:
Stick it.

Dude they aren't re balancing the game, they are just putting a coat of paint over it so to speak. This imo is better than Capcom USA making a new streetfighter all together and didnt capcom Japan sell the rights of street fighter to Capcom USA or give Im not really sure.

Xtyle

"God, what a failure of a thread. We finally get a HD SF after all these years with brand new sprite 2D artwork over the same bullsh*t Capcom has used for the same decade, and people bitch about the proportions being different from the bullsh*t decade old sprites people didn't want anymore?!

Seriously, this is why we don't deserve good things!"

not comparing the changes from the original, but on its own, it doesn't stand up very well.
to me, by bad art, it doesn't mean their style is bad or anything (though I don't prefer), it just means the drawings are poorly done.

I think with SF3 if you just trace over the original spirit, the result would be much better than to redefine it.

Orlics

I don't HATE the UDON art as much as some people on the internet do, but I agree that it is pretty mediocre. I really don't understand why Capcom handed the game over to a bunch of Canadian-Filipino-Korean nipponophile monkeys.

racially charged insults in this post are random and have no factual basis at all, i am seriously not trying to offend anyone, i am filipino myself

Jirotrom

bigben85 said:
"God, what a failure of a thread. We finally get a HD SF after all these years with brand new sprite 2D artwork over the same bullsh*t Capcom has used for the same decade, and people bitch about the proportions being different from the bullsh*t decade old sprites people didn't want anymore?!

Seriously, this is why we don't deserve good things!"

not comparing the changes from the original, but on its own, it doesn't stand up very well.
to me, by bad art, it doesn't mean their style is bad or anything (though I don't prefer), it just means the drawings are poorly done.

I think with SF3 if you just trace over the original spirit, the result would be much better than to redefine it.
Its a new market from 12 years ago... as much as I love the old sprites this is a great attempt at reimagining, no matter what the do art wise they wont please everyone.

Orlics said:
I don't HATE the UDON art as much as some people on the internet do, but I agree that it is pretty mediocre. I really don't understand why Capcom handed the game over to a bunch of Canadian-Filipino-Korean nipponophile monkeys.

racially charged insults in this post are random and have no factual basis at all

I would edit this.

Orlics said:

racially charged insults in this post are random and have no factual basis at all

Orlics, you're my hero.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Frankly I think that Chun Li animation is shocking. Perhaps it would have been better not animated than that stodgy 3-framed motion.

The drawing itself is fantastic.

Orlics

SovanJedi said:
Frankly I think that Chun Li animation is shocking. Perhaps it would have been better not animated than that stodgy 3-framed motion.

The drawing itself is fantastic.

Yeah, the drawing seems pretty okay, and it could look even better with proper coloring. The animation seems off though, I hope there are a few more frames in the final game.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Orlics said:

racially charged insults in this post are random and have no factual basis at all, i am seriously not trying to offend anyone, i am filipino myself

... you realise saying something really offensive and then saying "just kidding lawl" doesn't make it better right?

Prime crotch said:
Do I see the fruits of my labor?

No you just see the same sad desperation you see in all the twats that were raised suckling at a corporations teat, and whom are hoping to relive some of the bygone summer days of youth. Sans the part where I recklessly abandon everything I loved about those days to prostrate myself at Michael Bay's feet. :p

Jirotrom

Orlics said:
Yeah, the drawing seems pretty okay, and it could look even better with proper coloring. The animation seems off though, I hope there are a few more frames in the final game.
It seems that they want all the frames from the original kept, I dont believe they are changing any animations.

Icomeinpeace said:

Cammy.jpg

not saying your work sucks by any means but to those saying the udon work looks like some kinda lame highschool fan art...well here you go. theres a huge gap between professional work and fan art. the constant haters in these threads are beyond rediculous and need to STFU.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
This thread is hilarious for many reasons. Keep it up. :)

I can't wait when this game comes out and people rip it for having "bad animation." Oh, the hilarity.

Artanisix

The art isn't bad per se. Honestly I think it's just the awkward looking animation as far as Chun Li's lose animation goes. The arm and hand move awkwardly to the left while her face hardly moves at all. Try doing that in real life; it feels weird and awkward. And because of that, it doesn't look good.

For the most part I think the art looks fantastic (aside from Guile).

so1337

The art looks just fine to me. Not High School Fanartey BY ANY MEANS. If the sprites look like this and animate nicely I'll surely say "wow".

haunts

Bacon of Hope
The only mistake they made was releasing a couple "Teaser frames" to the public. Why didnt they wait till they had somehting playable? Of course people are going to be like "omg thats lame" when its just a single stand still frame with no real context. Im tottaly reserving judgement until its playable.

KingJ2002

joaomgcd said:
So, does anyone know how many frames of animation there are in total, in SSFIIT?

i dont know but i know not a single frame will be added and the hit detection will remain the same.

so the super street fighter 2 turbo you're used to playing will play the same... except the game is being redone for High Definition.

quick question to all... with the work being done here... you know... remaking SF2 (and Possibly SF3) in HD for XBLA and PSN... do you actually think SF4 will be in 2D?

KingJ2002 said:
i dont know but i know not a single frame will be added and the hit detection will remain the same.

so the super street fighter 2 turbo you're used to playing will play the same... except the game is being redone for High Definition.

quick question to all... with the work being done here... you know... remaking SF2 (and Possibly SF3) in HD for XBLA and PSN... do you actually think SF4 will be in 2D?

Won't the hit detection have to be slightly altered for the new sprites? Not all of them, at least of the 4 we've seen, have the same proportions as the originals

GrayFoxPL

KingJ2002 said:
do you actually think SF4 will be in 2D?

It will be in 0D because there won't be SF4.

We all know deep inside that this is the truth.

We want to deny, we want to have hope, but let's face it - the year is furking two thousand seven. The people that created sf games most likely got spread all over the industry. Capcom doesn't even imply that there is a possibility than in some far far future SF4 will see the light of the day. And good they didn't imply that, because it would just make gamers starve waiting an eternity for the game.

/drinks tea

El Papa

I just checked the blog for the first time to see what the fuss was about that some of you people have with the art, and the Akuma sprites are SICK. Guile doesn't look bad either. I don't know what all the complaining is about.

El Papa said:
I just checked the blog for the first time to see what the fuss was about that some of you people have with the art, and the Akuma sprites are SICK. Guile doesn't look bad either. I don't know what all the complaining is about.

It's something to do. *shrug

i love people throwing around criticisms like 'bad art' as if whether or not art is good or not isn't a matter of personal taste.

and that great description of 'bad art' as something that fails to represent what something really looks like or whatever that sillyness was... i bet you have a real hard time understanding impressionism and cubism and on and on.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The 2D artists at Capcom were fantastic but they were working with really limited resources.

ssf2_1.gif

That is what I would want the sprites to look like.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Icomeinpeace said:

Cammy.jpg

No, sorry. Your fan art is cute and means well but the UDON art is way beyond that (even though I am not a fan of their work)

plagiarize said:
i love people throwing around criticisms like 'bad art' as if whether or not art is good or not isn't a matter of personal taste.

and that great description of 'bad art' as something that fails to represent what something really looks like or whatever that sillyness was... i bet you have a real hard time understanding impressionism and cubism and on and on.

Dude, I agree to a point, but in videogames or multimedia that is more based on illustration principles than fine art , your argument has no legs.

The problem with UDON art is while their colors and linework are usually pretty neat, their characters anatomy is Goddamn awful, bordering Rob Liefeld in terms of making up muscles as they go.

kammy

Banned
Im as elitist as the next dude but when I saw the Ryu his rez shit a few months ago, I loved it. It looked like SF2 in hi rez 2000vision. I got no probs with this UDON dudes doing it.

Not seen the Guile stuff but he was always a lousey design anyway. Anyone care to post him?

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
MobiusPigeon said:
not saying your work sucks by any means but to those saying the udon work looks like some kinda lame highschool fan art...well here you go. theres a huge gap between professional work and fan art. the constant haters in these threads are beyond rediculous and need to STFU.

Are you saying this Cammy is the same quality as Udons Guile?

plagiarize said:

Wtf? It's already implied when someone says bad art that it is bad art "in their opinion".

I think it looks fantastic.

I think I really like the general look of the sprites and am glad that they don't look 'anime' but have a rather western flavor overall.

Top Bottom