• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix thread

Orlics

About the UDON art itself, it isn't that the characters are very muscular or that their stances seem different. It's that there are imaginary muscles and joints in places where muscles and joints shouldn't exist. That pisses me off quite a bit.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
turk128 said:
I guess I don't know that much at all... just enough to know that badly tracing the original pixels is the wrong way to go. If you're satisfied with poorly executed looking frames then that's fine, but doesn't prevent it from being poorly executed.

They aren't tracing the original pixels, not by a long shot.

6hghudk.jpg

That's how they do the sprite work. A whole bunch of detail that wasn't there is been added by them. Where they can afford to take variations they do; Notice how the HD sprite has hair that's toussled differently from the original.
The muscles are formed differently in the arm, and the wristguard has a different design/position.

But then, this is GAF. You'll get guys without a clue coming in talking shit, like they always do.

Gattsu25

Banned
is there a link to this mangled version if guile? from what I've seen, GAF is blowing this all out of proportion. The sprites that I've seen have all looked good

turk128

Crayon Shinchan said:
That's how they do the sprite work. A whole bunch of detail that wasn't there is been added by them. Where they can afford to take variations they do; Notice how the HD sprite has hair that's toussled differently from the original.
The muscles are formed differently in the arm, and the wristguard has a different design/position.

But then, this is GAF. You'll get guys without a clue coming in talking shit, like they always do.
So what they are basically doing is a coloring book style tracing... then filling in with details that are just off (don't know why you keep on denying this), with colors that are far from flattering.

I'm coming at this from an aesthetic point of view and, aesthetic, it's wanting.

spoon!

Xenon said:
They were big enough to take on a classic like Street Fighter. They are lucky its not worse.

What were you expecting? A fully fledged prequal to streetfighter4? Your expectations are way too high.

What's worse is after all this overanal analysis of the sprites, you're all going to have a massive bitchfest when the game comes out and you find out the animation is choppy, the sound effects are ripped straight out of SFIIHF and it doesn't support true widescreen.

I'm going to break it to you now, STHD is not going to be spec****ingtacular. Its just ST with new sprites. Its just an experiment. Its going to priced as a budget title. And I myself, cannot ****ing wait for this to come out. You haters can keep on hating, I'm gonna enjoy the game for what it is.

Xtyle

man all these talks bring back my memory of the SF days.
here's a quick 10 min sketch of Akuma (i know, weird hands :). I am tempted to try toredo a spirit drawing but got not printer, scanner, and light box or even pencil :(

FIXED

akumasmall.jpg

Jirotrom

spoon! said:
What were you expecting? A fully fledged prequal to streetfighter4? Your expectations are way too high.

What's worse is after all this overanal analysis of the sprites, you're all going to have a massive bitchfest when the game comes out and you find out the animation is choppy, the sound effects are ripped straight out of SFIIHF and it doesn't support true widescreen.

I'm going to break it to you now, STHD is not going to be spec****ingtacular. Its just ST with new sprites. Its just an experiment. Its going to priced as a budget title. And I myself, cannot ****ing wait for this to come out. You haters can keep on hating, I'm gonna enjoy the game for what it is.
QFT...the game is ST.... when it comes down to it, its not gonna look incredible or anything, they arent adding frames everything is being kept the same, but its being released at budget price as they have a minimal budget to work on this anyways. Capcom are the ones that made this choice.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Jirotrom said:
I want to see it.

I'm almost done inking her, she should be done in an hour or so :)

EDIT: Holy crap that Akuma pic is huge, resize plz

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Raging Spaniard said:

can you upload the sprite you're tracing from for her?

I contemplated doing Morrigan after cammy, but was too tired when I finished up last night.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
MickeyKnox said:
Anyone want to toss me some original sprites, I'd like to take a shot at this.

66ajomt.gif

4uequfr.gif

Try the original Chun-Li... that way you'll get to compare it to Udon when they release theirs.

HD remix size is 400% original size btw.

Jirotrom

Raging Spaniard said:

EDIT: Holy crap that Akuma pic is huge, resize plz
Awesome....send that it to capcom and tell them to stop reusing her friggin sprite.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Crayon Shinchan said:
can you upload the sprite you're tracing from for her?

I contemplated doing Morrigan after cammy, but was too tired when I finished up last night.

Sure thing. I stretched my drawing a little bit though, since the sprite was squashed a tad, so it wont match perfectly ... but eh, I'm having fun.

If you're looking for sprites, Im gonna recommend this new app I found called Google. The magic resides within making an image search, typing the name of the character you want, press space then type "sprite", press Enter. Crazy.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Raging Spaniard said:
Sure thing. I stretched my drawing a little bit though, since the sprite was squashed a tad, so it wont match perfectly ... but eh, I'm having fun.

If you're looking for sprites, Im gonna recommend this new app I found called Google. The magic resides within making an image search, typing the name of the character you want, press space then type "sprite", press Enter. Crazy.

Hur. I was more wondering which exact frame you were redrawing her from.

Crayon Shinchan said:
Yeah, I hate this shit. The hugest offender, for me, is when someone says that God Hand is a shitty game, when they haven't even played it. HURRRR, dillwads.

turk128

bigben85 said:
that site is awesome! I remember all those artwork I used to love in my childhood. Good job posting it! :)
It's a great place, perfect for me since I'm more a fan of the art/animation of SF and how it evolved over the years. Being surrounded by friends who were pro-level SF players really does make you appreciated being an observer more than a player.

BTW great sketch, love the loose style (I appreciated the larger scan so much more). Very much reminds me of SF style character rough sketches found in Capcom art books. By any chance were you at Fanime? Saw an artist with similar sketch style in the artists' alley there.

Xtyle

Fanime?

Not a clue what it is:)

SF2 was the favorite game when I was a kid and it pretty much inspired/influenced me in my early art development.

actually, I loved the game so much that I used to draw the "spirits" from memory (there was no internet back then as you know :)

MCD

It would be really funny and sad if Capcom canceled the project due to all this negativity.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Raging Spaniard said:
Yes, because "the actual artist" would HIMSELF redraw every single frame for the whole game.

Come on now, thats not how games work.

They COULD have setup the Alpha style guide and go for that, but in those Alpha illustrations the awesome lies on the COLOR WORK which Capcom USA has already acknowledged that eventually they would like to get to that l;evel of color detail.

I dont defend these guys much, but I give them props for trying this out, see if it sticks and if it does, then maybe go insane for the next project. Rock on.

Sounds like fun, I'll give it a shot :)

No way, what looks like crap with the HD remix is the line art, it sucks. The SF Alpha were great. They just had to take that route, hire an actual Japanese artist who is good at that stuff and who can match the style. But they are not doing that. It looks wrong, it doesn't look like Capcom's work, it looks like some outsourced work made by people who obviously have never done animes before.

turk128

bigben85 said:
Fanime?

actually, I loved the game so much that I used to draw the "spirits" from memory (there was no internet back then as you know :)
Anime convention down in San Jose. And that's a damn great exercise to train your memory.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Ether_Snake said:
No way, what looks like crap with the HD remix is the line art, it sucks. The SF Alpha were great. They just had to take that route, hire an actual Japanese artist who is good at that stuff and who can match the style. But they are not doing that. It looks wrong, it doesn't look like Capcom's work, it looks like some outsourced work made by people who obviously have never done animes before.

Stop talking shit when you don't know shit. Seriously. You're not going to take the top gif I posted (i.e. SF2 Chun-Li) and turn it into the bottom one (SFA2 Chun-Li) no matter how high you pump the res. Because that's what the Udon guys have to deal with.

turk128

Ether_Snake said:
But they are not doing that. It looks wrong, it doesn't look like Capcom's work, it looks like some outsourced work made by people who obviously have never done animes before.
As much as I too think it's wrong... the problem isn't because they didn't get a Japanese studio to do it. There's plenty of Westerners who can do great anime art (and some with trully awesome hybrid art). The problem probably is the budget and, kind related, time.

Xtyle

I have seen that before..good stuff

"now if this ain't good then i don't know what good is anymore."

though 1 that is off (immediately comes to mind upon viewing it) in that drawing is T. Hawk.

turk128

McDragon said:
Udon drew this i believe:

now if this ain't good then i don't know what good is anymore.
Amongst my fav lineup pics. They really did an excellent job with the big guys. Guile's a cocky bastard who's about to rip open a can of kickass.

Crayon Shinchan said:
66ajomt.gif

4uequfr.gif

Try the original Chun-Li... that way you'll get to compare it to Udon when they release theirs.

HD remix size is 400% original size btw.
Thanks, I'll work on it after I get back from Mocca.

Raging Spaniard

Ok, heres my quick-as-shit Morrigan sprite remake. Took longer than I wanted to and, like I mentioned before, changed some stuff due to my own personal taste (which may very well suck)

morrigan_sprite_remake.jpg

tribal24

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:
Ok, heres my quick-as-shit Morrigan sprite remake. Took longer than I wanted to and, like I mentioned before, changed some stuff due to my own personal taste (which may very well suck)

morrigan_sprite_remake.jpg

that looks very good

Xtyle

cool. that must have taken quite a while with all the coloring:) i like the details.
I do think the outside leg/thigh should appear larger than the inside leg, or equal to.
was it difficult to do?

USD

Raging Spaniard said:
Needs a child-bearing hips version.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Raging Spaniard said:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/XavierGarcia/morrigan_sprite_remake.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

That looks good. I like it.

Raging Spaniard

bigben85 said:
cool. that must have taken quite a while with all the coloring:) i like the details.
I do think the outside leg/thigh should appear larger than the inside leg, or equal to.
was it difficult to do?

Thanks! I disagree about the leg, but whatev, no big deal.

Difficulty wise: It depends on the artist, for me the hardest and most time consuming things are figuring out the poses and the layout, so if you already give me that, the rest comes much easier (hence this only taking 2 to 3 hours from sketch to finish). This was also good practice for me to practice inking digitally, so its a good exercise, might do some more in this vein, actually.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Raging Spaniard said:

[IM]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/XavierGarcia/morrigan_sprite_remake.jpg[/IMG]
sorry but make her face look like a young adult, not like a overused crack whore.

orioto

Good Art™
I want to join the party !

This is a redrawing (a recoloring more precisly) of the SNK vs Capcom Chaos vega sprite i did long time ago. But anyway, it would be too long for anybody to do a lot of this.

VegaHD.jpg

And the fact that modern snk sprite are already higly detailed helped a lot.
I also did a Chun-li Third Strike one but i don't find it anymore ^^'

Lord Phol

Not a SF player but, art looks great, dunno what u guys are bitchin about :s.
Also some great fan-arts in this thread ^^.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
orioto said:
I want to join the party !

This is a redrawing (a recoloring more precisly) of the SNK vs Capcom Chaos vega sprite i did long time ago. But anyway, it would be too long for anybody to do a lot of this.

VegaHD.jpg

And the fact that modern snk sprite are already higly detailed helped a lot.
I also did a Chun-li Third Strike one but i don't find it anymore ^^'
That is shit hot.

Top Bottom