• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix thread

karasu

Raging Spaniard said:
No, sorry. Your fan art is cute and means well but the UDON art is way beyond that (even though I am not a fan of their work)

Dude, I agree to a point, but in videogames or multimedia that is more based on illustration principles than fine art , your argument has no legs.

The problem with UDON art is while their colors and linework are usually pretty neat, their characters anatomy is Goddamn awful, bordering Rob Liefeld in terms of making up muscles as they go.

hahaha Anatomy. Have you ever seen Chun Li's legs, or Ryu's feet?

Jirotrom

kammy said:
Im as elitist as the next dude but when I saw the Ryu his rez shit a few months ago, I loved it. It looked like SF2 in hi rez 2000vision. I got no probs with this UDON dudes doing it.

Not seen the Guile stuff but he was always a lousey design anyway. Anyone care to post him?
I was going to post that his design has always been off imo but thats a personal taste thing. He has a hunch back in Street fighter 2.

Zoramon089 said:
Won't the hit detection have to be slightly altered for the new sprites? Not all of them, at least of the 4 we've seen, have the same proportions as the originals
according to the blog they are trying to keep the hit detection exact by having some of the pickiest street fighter 2 players check it out.

Icarus

Jirotrom said:
according to the blog they are trying to keep the hit detection exact by having some of the pickiest street fighter 2 players check it out.

Not just check it out, they're ON the team . There's other Evo players on the team as well.

Raging Spaniard said:
No, sorry. Your fan art is cute and means well but the UDON art is way beyond that (even though I am not a fan of their work)

Dude, I agree to a point, but in videogames or multimedia that is more based on illustration principles than fine art , your argument has no legs.

The problem with UDON art is while their colors and linework are usually pretty neat, their characters anatomy is Goddamn awful, bordering Rob Liefeld in terms of making up muscles as they go.

Hence why the "remix" on the title, they are actually giving it a new look to the old sprites, what I did with Cammy was the opposite I just traced and went with it (it's not refined just wanted to experiment). Udon has a lot of talented folks like Arnold Tsang, his work was even on the Vampire Graphic File arbook (Capcom of Japan game art line of books) but Udon also has a lot of artists that are aren't as good or on the same level as the top guys, this is in my opinion the reason why some sprites and characters look better than others, everyone at Udon is working on the game.

Jirotrom

The Take Out Bandit said:
I reckon it's the part where he mentions Montreal and NDAs.
# Sirlin Says:
April 14th, 2007 at 9:37 am

polarity: Nope, I have nothing for your fears. There are no new frames, and you get what you get. It’s not even remotely my call whether they would ship or not ship the game over the smoothness of animation. That would probably not even make it onto the radar as a “no ship” situation, and adding frames is beyond the scope of the project. It does seem like higher resolution will make it more of an issue, but I’m not sure if it will really will in practice. Maybe it will just not be that big of a deal though, we’ll see.

–Sirlin

Jirotrom said:
# Sirlin Says:
April 14th, 2007 at 9:37 am

polarity: Nope, I have nothing for your fears. There are no new frames, and you get what you get. It’s not even remotely my call whether they would ship or not ship the game over the smoothness of animation. That would probably not even make it onto the radar as a “no ship” situation, and adding frames is beyond the scope of the project. It does seem like higher resolution will make it more of an issue, but I’m not sure if it will really will in practice. Maybe it will just not be that big of a deal though, we’ll see.

–Sirlin

OMG!

He am breaking NDA! :p

Dali

kammy said:
Im as elitist as the next dude but when I saw the Ryu his rez shit a few months ago, I loved it. It looked like SF2 in hi rez 2000vision. I got no probs with this UDON dudes doing it.

Not seen the Guile stuff but he was always a lousey design anyway. Anyone care to post him?

It's here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6745933&postcount=1

They have also previewed Akuma and Ken frames. Since you liked what you've seen so far (the Ryu prototype) tell me if you like the Guile frames or think they are a heaping pile. So far everything I've seen has been nice, save Guile. Either the shittiest dude on team Udon did Guile or the 'Ken'-guy was having a bad week.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Icomeinpeace said:
Hence why the "remix" on the title, they are actually giving it a new look to the old sprites, what I did with Cammy was the opposite I just traced and went with it (it's not refined just wanted to experiment). Udon has a lot of talented folks like Arnold Tsang, his work was even on the Vampire Graphic File arbook (Capcom of Japan game art line of books) but Udon also has a lot of artists that are aren't as good or on the same level as the top guys, this is in my opinion the reason why some sprites and characters look better than others, everyone at Udon is working on the game.

No theyre not giving it a new look, theyre making it look like their American comic books look, which are highly influenced by the Animated SF II Movie.

Just because its higher res doesnt mean the art is better. I agree this stuff is a step beyond the original SF2, but the style used in Alpha and III is much more appealing to me, regardless of how sharp it is (and theres a difference between stylized anatomy -big feet- and ass backwards terrible anatomy -broken fingers, 50 new muscle groups, etc-)

xfactor

Banned
Jirotrom said:
Seriously people what do you want...its a different style. People are saying bla bla it doesnt fit realistically. YOU SHOOT FIREBALLS OUT OF YOUR HANDS IN THIS GAME! HD doesnt mean life like. Be glad they are even attempting to do this. Also remember they are keeping the hit detection the same and and are not adding frames...no matter what the game will feel a little archaic.

It probably wont compare to Mark of the Wolves or Third Strike in animation but this is a testing ground for them the least we can do is support them and give them feedback .(granted from the looks of thing we are giving them bad feedback on the damn look of guile which has been portrayed like 15 different ways in the history of streetfighter).

Nobody is crying for them to add more animation.

This game's selling point is that it is in HD, and it have a totally new sprites overhaul. Nobody crys for a more realistic sprite. They want a sprite that's more 'normal'. No 'one leg longer than the other' etc.

Xtyle

to the person that said:

"and that great description of 'bad art' as something that fails to represent what something really looks like or whatever that sillyness was... i bet you have a real hard time understanding impressionism and cubism and on and on."

are you serious? I understand impressionism and cubism.

are you an artist yourself?

this is retarded..by your definition, you can draw a character that is supposed to be *human* anyway you want for a *product*, in this case a game, right? exaggerations and stylizations are acceptable, but you have to keep it consistently. you can't draw an arm with 50 muscles and decide to change them for the next drawing. do you understand the concept of anatomy?

I am very much looking forward to this title! Still cannot imagine how good this will look in HD (animation won't be up to par but good enough). I am already satisfied with the way Guilty Gear XX looks upscaled, so this should be even more amazing.
Next month's release of HD Super Puzzle Fighter should tie me over until they release this. :D

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
4pai461.gif

Here's my take on a HD cammy.

Took a while... and I dunno... I think after working on it, the original SF2 sprites had munted proportions to begin with. So kudos to Udon for doing so well within such a tight restriction.

There's no way I could repeat this work for a series of frames much less an entire character set either.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Oh boy, the art wars. To be honest I think when a whole lot of fans think about "high res" Street Fighter art drawn in a classical style from the heyday of the game, they more imagine stuff like Bengus' work:

sfa08.jpg

Yes, in a lot of his Classic Capcom Years, Bengus had his own flaws: like how everybody here has a shrunken mid-section making their arms look a little freakishly long. However, it's /not/ really "animu" style, but merely manga-influenced. Also, a trademark in my eyes anyway, is a certain kind of interlocking mechanical practicality in how anatomy is rendered. It's not about being totally realistic, but rather looking mechanically sound and balanced - joints look like joints, fingers look as if they can correctly articulate, the character looks limber even when muscled up. This is all regardless of the overall stylization of the art.

I feel the issue many have with a lot of the Udon work being shown is that it /tries/ to evoke the classic era of Capcom production and showpiece artwork in its colors and form but much of the time (not all of the time) doesn't really have the underlying foundation to pull it off. With stuff like the Guile Doomsprite, it looks as if the artist just kept drawing all sorts of bulges and stuff on top of one another and couldn't, or chose not to, visualize how the character's body would /move/ and function /between/ poses. We actually see this ethic show up more in that dreaded "animu" art that GAF so loves to hate, because duh - the style of rendering commonly originating with animation is intended to make it easy to visualize movement. With the classic Capcom stuff (and also a lot of classic SNK stuff, for instance) we just saw a heavily rendered, shaded, artistic take layered over such a base. Which again IMHO, is one reason why that old art was so attractive and distinctive.

(I don't really like trying to play art critic. I'm also not really bashing Udon style here; just observing on why I think some people do not like what they're seeing in relation to what they may be imagining it "should" be like.)

Crayon Shinchan said:
4pai461.gif

Took a while... and I dunno... I think after working on it, the original SF2 sprites had munted proportions to begin with. So kudos to Udon for doing so well within such a tight restriction.

There's no way I could repeat this work for a series of frames much less an entire character set either.

you guys need to stop. again not saying these are BAD in particular. pretty nice drawings but both attemps so far look like midgets or trolls or something. :lol actually you know what? keep the attempts coming. they just prove how good the udon work actually is. :lol

Jirotrom

MobiusPigeon said:
you guys need to stop. again not saying these are BAD in particular. pretty nice drawings but both attemps so far look like midgets or trolls or something. :lol actually you know what? keep the attempts coming. they just prove how good the udon work actually is. :lol
its to show that outlining the original sprites and trying to give them anew look is a difficult task.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
wow -- did the original cammy sprite really have no midsection? there's nothing between her tits and her hips. i doubt two gafers made that mistake independently, and it looks really weird at a high resolution. i guess that highlights one of the difficulties of what udon's doing here.

Dali

Crayon Shinchan said:
4pai461.gif

You guys wanna try that on Morrigan? I hear there is some sort of Succubus curse that makes pencil lead break and computers crash if anyone tries to redraw her.

Midna

Banned
Crayon Shinchan said:
4pai461.gif

That's really cute, my only complaint is she has no real waist. Anyways, that is cute, nice job.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just wonder why people complain about realism. We're talking about characters who do Hadokens for goodness sakes. We're talking about characters who, upon the next round their wounds are completely healed.

As Link from Wind Waker would say "Come on!"

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Kaijima said:

THAT IS WHAT IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE! But they don't want to pay for the actual artist or whatever. Imagine a SF game with characters of that exact quality!

Jirotrom

Midna said:
That's really cute, my only complaint is she has no real waist. Anyways, that is cute, nice job.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just wonder why people complain about realism. We're talking about characters who do Hadokens for goodness sakes. We're talking about characters who, upon the next round their wounds are completely healed.

As Link from Wind Waker would say "Come on!"
Killer_Bee_(Shadoloo_Cammy).gif

there you go. She had no waist before in that pose.

Xtyle

actually I booted up SSf2T just to check out the Cammy standing spirit..these obviously are taken from "emu" on wide screen mode. the original's 4:3...if you don't believe me, check out the difference in 4:3 and widescreen (the stretched/squashed mode)

Xtyle

none of these Cammy's in their 4:3 aspect ratio! of course they all look like they are missing the mid section

Jirotrom

bigben85 said:
actually I booted up SSf2T just to check out the Cammy standing spirit..these obviously are taken from "emu" on wide screen mode. the original's 4:3...if you don't believe me, check out the difference in 4:3 and widescreen (the stretched/squashed mode)
you are correct.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Ether_Snake said:
THAT IS WHAT IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE! But they don't want to pay for the actual artist or whatever. Imagine a SF game with characters of that exact quality!

Yes, because "the actual artist" would HIMSELF redraw every single frame for the whole game.

Come on now, thats not how games work.

They COULD have setup the Alpha style guide and go for that, but in those Alpha illustrations the awesome lies on the COLOR WORK which Capcom USA has already acknowledged that eventually they would like to get to that l;evel of color detail.

I dont defend these guys much, but I give them props for trying this out, see if it sticks and if it does, then maybe go insane for the next project. Rock on.

Dali said:
You guys wanna try that on Morrigan? I hear there is some sort of Succubus curse that makes pencil lead break and computers crash if anyone tries to redraw her.

Sounds like fun, I'll give it a shot :)

drohne said:
wow -- did the original cammy sprite really have no midsection? there's nothing between her tits and her hips. i doubt two gafers made that mistake independently, and it looks really weird at a high resolution. i guess that highlights one of the difficulties of what udon's doing here.

I've uploaded the original sprite blown up to the same res, there's definitely a lot of room for interpretation as far as the redraws are concerned:

Cammy1.jpg

Morrigan is a good pick I'll try to drawn her next.

bigben85 said:

Good idea, I'll check it out on my DC. I stretched the image but I eyeballed the ratio.

Xtyle

these are not how it should look.
capture cammy in 4:3 and you will know the difference comparing to your blow up pics:)

LuCkymoON

Banned
Damn I can't believe people here are bitching about nothing. Udon Entertainment have done a lot more for Street Fighter/Rival Schools/Darkstalkers than Capcom has over the past five years. Hopefully we will get to see Udon's art in a SF4 because they deserve the recognition.

turk128

LuCkymoON said:
Damn I can't believe people here are bitching about nothing. Udon Entertainment have done a lot more for Street Fighter/Rival Schools/Darkstalkers than Capcom has over the past five years. Hopefully we will get to see Udon's art in a SF4 because they deserve the recognition.
If it's the same 'quality' as these... I would hope not.

Looks like they got their main artists to do the roughs and left it to the interns to cleanup and color.

Jirotrom

Raging Spaniard said:
Yes, because "the actual artist" would HIMSELF redraw every single frame for the whole game.

Come on now, thats not how games work.

They COULD have setup the Alpha style guide and go for that, but in those Alpha illustrations the awesome lies on the COLOR WORK which Capcom USA has already acknowledged that eventually they would like to get to that l;evel of color detail.

I dont defend these guys much, but I give them props for trying this out, see if it sticks and if it does, then maybe go insane for the next project. Rock on.

Sounds like fun, I'll give it a shot :)
I want to see it.

turk128 said:
If it's the same 'quality' as these... I would hope not.

Looks like they got their main artists to do the roughs and left it to the interns to cleanup and color.

Pretty much, there have been a few talented folks who have done work for Udon - like Jo Chen; but they're not a part of that shit studio as they have talent and can survive on their own.

Udon is your friendly neighborhood animation sweatshop, exported to Canada!

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Pretty much, there have been a few talented folks who have done work for Udon - like Jo Chen; but they're not a part of that shit studio as they have talent and can survive on their own.

Udon is your friendly neighborhood animation sweatshop, exported to Canada!

You couldn't do half as good a job bandit. It's not like the limitations are easy to work within. And when you consider you have to animate the sumbitches... Anyway, you are an artist; instead of sitting on an internet board and talking shit... why don't you pull out your pens and redo the sprite within the limitation of its outline? The original sprite proportions blow, so good luck.

4qp5gy1.jpg

That's the best I could do...
If you do better (than Udon) you'll have free reign in criticism over their work AND kudos from your fellow forum goers!

Dali

Crayon Shinchan said:
That's the best I could do...
If you do better (than Udon) you'll have free reign in criticism over their work AND kudos from your fellow forum goers!

I know an impossible task when I see it. This forum is divided in their opinion of Udon's stuff, so good luck getting a unified 'yea' on anything posted by a lowly forum dweller. Maybe a unified "do not want", but never a unified positive opinion.

You couldn't do half as good a job bandit. It's not like the limitations are easy to work within. And when you consider you have to animate the sumbitches... Anyway, you are an artist; instead of sitting on an internet board and talking shit... why don't you pull out your pens and redo the sprite within the limitation of its outline? The original sprite proportions blow, so good luck.

:lol

Sorry dude, I've got enough shit on my plate to work on.

I'm not here bragging about my skills, I'm just pointing out that Udon is lacking compared to real Capcom staff. If they gave Jo Chen or Arnold Tsang free reign on the visuals, things would no doubt be better.

Unfortunately this is total sweatshop bitchwork.

The end result is the same.

I don't buy their shitty comics.

I won't buy their shitty game.

Try calling out Shogmaster.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
:lol

Sorry dude, I've got enough shit on my plate to work on.

I'm not here bragging about my skills, I'm just pointing out that Udon is lacking compared to real Capcom staff. If they gave Jo Chen or Arnold Tsang free reign on the visuals, things would no doubt be better.

Unfortunately this is total sweatshop bitchwork.

The end result is the same.

I don't buy their shitty comics.

I won't buy their shitty game.

Try calling out Shogmaster.

Point is they DON'T have free reign on the visuals. They have arcade style hit detection boxes that they need to fit in.... as such, the characters have to remain in pretty much their same stances; in a single frame, you have some amount of lee-way... but you're not going to get much lee-way when the thing starts animating; if you're not matching the original sprite, it's going to start animating in a way that doesn't make sense!

All you got is a shitty mouth. Get outta here!

Crayon Shinchan said:
Point is they DON'T have free reign on the visuals. They have arcade style hit detection boxes that they need to fit in.... as such, the characters have to remain in pretty much their same stances; in a single frame, you have some amount of lee-way... but you're not going to get much lee-way when the thing starts animating; if you're not matching the original sprite, it's going to start animating in a way that doesn't make sense!

Well I guess then I'm happy with the Street Fighter 2 I've got, not some crappy Canadian Mod-Pack.

All you got is a shitty mouth. Get outta here!

I reckon that cancels out your mouth full of Udon cock, like a shotoclone fireball. :D

i think they're doing a good job considering the limitations on the sprites. On a side note, I'm hoping they release picture packs for the HDremix soon.

turk128

I don't agree with Take Out Bandit's haterade on Udon but he doesn't need to provide his own counter-art just to critisize what they've done with this so far. The poor execution more than speaks for itself.

There's many ways to get past the hit detection problem. It only requires knowledge of where to keep what and make a skeleton out of that alone then flesh it out from there.

spoon!

Quick guys, lets start criticising the standard of the work coming out of a small inexperienced team of artists working on a low budget game remake of a genre capcom doesn't even care about anymore. Take that, Communism!

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
turk128 said:
I don't agree with Take Out Bandit's haterade on Udon but he doesn't need to provide his own counter-art just to critisize what they've done with this so far. The poor execution more than speaks for itself.

There's many ways to get past the hit detection problem. It only requires knowledge of where to keep what and make a skeleton out of that alone then flesh it out from there.

And this statement just shows you how little you understand how things work.

I'm not a big fan of udon, despite my defense of them; just my first hand experience leads me to understand that; they're doing pretty well given the limitations.

You can't 'flesh it out'

The boundaries of the hitboxes are often the outlines of the characters themselves. The only room for freedom lies within the character outlines. Given that, the task is far from easy, you could've seen far worse then what Udon has shown so far... like my stuff or that other guy that tried his hand at it.

Xenon

spoon! said:
Quick guys, lets start criticising the standard of the work coming out of a small inexperienced team of artists working on a low budget game remake of a genre capcom doesn't even care about anymore. Take that, Communism!

They were big enough to take on a classic like Street Fighter. They are lucky its not worse.

turk128

Crayon Shinchan said:
The boundaries of the hitboxes are often the outlines of the characters themselves. The only room for freedom lies within the character outlines. Given that, the task is far from easy, you could've seen far worse then what Udon has shown so far... like my stuff or that other guy that tried his hand at it.
I guess I don't know that much at all... just enough to know that badly tracing the original pixels is the wrong way to go. If you're satisfied with poorly executed looking frames then that's fine, but doesn't prevent it from being poorly executed.

Like spoon! sarcastic remark indicates, it's clear that this is coming from a team that's not up to the challenge. And now Capcom is stepping in. Don't know why they didn't do it earlier since this has so much potential for so much more.

Top Bottom