• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix thread

MOMMY DEAREST said:
Right image: No neck, coupled with gorilla-like proportioned limbs.

Image2.jpg

On the left, you see an HD sprite from 2007.
On the right, you see an upscaled sub-HD sprite from 2008.

This game officially started to look like shit. The Deejay sprite nailed the coffin. Where the hell is the detail? I call it, these sprites are NOT 1080p. This game needs to die.

Sapiens

The-Switcher said:

How is it possible for this PC paint sprite to be more aesthetically pleasing than what Udon has been doing?

Seriously, Capcom USA, if you're reading this, cancel this fucking abortion. I'm betting it's already taken more time and cost more money to get this remake half finished than it did to make the original SF2 in the first place.

Jim

Mr Jared said:
The Unity blog updated with a brief combo video, featuing Dee Jay, Ken and Akuma-

http://blog.capcom.com/archives/1278

Surprise, it looks hot. Also, Chun-Li's HD background for the first time. Whoo!

Does looks smoothed out a bit.

The backgrounds have that weird wallpapered look to them, i.e. right beyond the line-scrolling floor, it's like a flat animated surface. One layer of parallax basically, and it still looks stuttery a little bit. You notice it more if you check out the high quality YT version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMsLBUagAp4&fmt=18).

GrayFoxPL said:
Akuma sprite really sucks :\.

2rnhqw8.jpg

The game's looking worse and worse. People will to end up choosing old sprites to play.
I don't really see what's wrong with this frame other than your childish attempt at humor. I think it's getting to the point to where it's becoming trendy to bash this game here on Gaf no matter how it looks. It's getting to the point to where it doesn't even make sense anymore. There may be a few strange things here and there on other screens, but in this pic (minus the poster's interpretation of his dream version of the game) Akuma seems to be exactly as he should be. The art is very clean, color and shading looks great, and everything is well proportioned, while staying as close to the original sprite as possible.

Chemo

Dark Octave said:
I don't really see what's wrong with this frame other than your childish attempt at humor. I think it's getting to the point to where it's becoming trendy to bash this game here on Gaf no matter how it looks. It's getting to the point to where it doesn't even make sense anymore. There may be a few strange things here and there on other screens, but in this pic (minus the poster's interpretation of his dream version of the game) Akuma seems to be exactly as he should be. The art is very clean, color and shading looks great, and everything is well proportioned, while staying as close to the original sprite as possible.
This post would make a lot of sense if the game didn't look like so much shit. :)

Seriously, though, either way, I'm glad you're liking it, because it's good that this project, which I find to be a monumental waste of time, is going to find at least some kind of eager audience. It's very polarizing, though, and the people who hate it (me, others) really hate the living shit out of it. Hope you enjoy it when you finally get to play it holiday 2009. :/

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Dark Octave said:

basically why i've been avoiding this thread for a while now. The game looks fine if not great. Some sad souls here trying really hard to be funny.

my problem with the whole project is Capcom's timing and planning with this, With SF4 coming out this year, this almost seems to much and a waste of resources to me.

its a great "labor o luv" project i'd love to support, i kinda wish Cap did this earlier or make some brand new SF with it for 2009 or 2010.

Perdew

Wow ... that new video looks really nice. I'm once again excited for this. And the less characters in the backgrounds, the better.

Amon37

~Devil Trigger~ said:
my problem with the whole project is Capcom's timing and planning with this, With SF4 coming out this year, this almost seems to much and a waste of resources to me.

This.

I really wanted to buy this but I can't justify 30.00 for this then 60.00 for SF4 which has the same characters.

Flink

Dark Octave said:

You'd have a point if other forums weren't echoing GAF's sentiments.

Flink said:
You'd have a point if other forums weren't echoing GAF's sentiments.
So basically you're saying that you'd agree with me if it weren't for the fact that you want to be a part of the crowd. Don't be a follower. Use your own eyes. Think for yourself and tell me what's wrong with THIS pic that someone thought was so horrid, they had to draw a stick figure getting his dick sucked so hard that he's being lifted off the ground.

Tell me what's wrong with this pic IN YOUR OWN WORDS, because the hate is getting ridiculous.

2rnhqw8.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Tiduz said:
yeah i dont care, im buying this, i need me some online streetfighter on my ps3.
Well, that's about the only reason I'll be buying this game.

Oh, and it's Street Fighter too.

Flink

Dark Octave said:
So basically you're saying that you'd agree with me if it weren't for the fact that you want to be a part of the crowd. Don't be a follower. Use your own eyes. Think for yourself and tell me what's wrong with THIS pic that someone thought was so horrid, they had to draw a stick figure getting his dick sucked so hard that he's being lifted off the ground.

Tell me what's wrong with this pic IN YOUR OWN WORDS, because the hate is getting ridiculous.

Maybe I should be more clear - I was replying to your "I think it's getting to the point to where it's becoming trendy to bash this game here on Gaf no matter how it looks" comment. It's not just GAF.

As for why I think it looks bad to me? The art looks amateur. Blocky. Elephantitis-ish. Unappealing. Like something an 11 yr old Dragonball fan would doodle in class. Milk. A crappy flash animation project.

In motion it's worse. These guys have no sense of animation. It's a jerky festival of awkward. A jamboree of jutter. It's missing fluidity. IT'S LIKE SOUL CALIBUR WITHOUT BIG MILKY TITS!

attachment.php

Teknoman

Flink said:
Maybe I should be more clear - I was replying to your "I think it's getting to the point to where it's becoming trendy to bash this game here on Gaf no matter how it looks" comment. It's not just GAF.

As for why I think it looks bad to me? The art looks amateur. Blocky. Elephantitis-ish. Unappealing. Like something an 11 yr old Dragonball fan would doodle in class. Milk. A crappy flash animation project.

In motion it's worse. These guys have no sense of animation. It's a jerky festival of awkward. A jamboree of jutter. It's missing fluidity. IT'S LIKE SOUL CALIBUR WITHOUT BIG MILKY TITS!

attachment.php

I'd like to see an 11 year old draw Akuma like that. Anyway, did the PS3 version of Commando also give the beta offer?

Dark Octave said:
Personally I don't have a problem with any of the still screenshots, they look great to me. What I DO have a problem with is the animation. Watch the game in motion and behold some of the worst animation this world has ever seen.

And before you go "bububu but they had to keep the same amount of frames for compatibility's sake!" it's not the amount of frames, it's the weird difference you see from one frame to the next.

EDIT: seeing this new youtube video makes it look better but it the picture IS very small on this one.

Huggers

polyh3dron said:
Personally I don't have a problem with any of the still screenshots, they look great to me. What I DO have a problem with is the animation. Watch the game in motion and behold some of the worst animation this world has ever seen.

And before you go "bububu but they had to keep the same amount of frames for compatibility's sake!" it's not the amount of frames, it's the weird difference you see from one frame to the next.

Hmmm, I've only seen screen shots, I'm about to be dissappointed aren't I

Teknoman

Looking at the most recent version, the characters in motion dont really look bad. As a matter of fact, it still looks like...well what its supposed to be. The same old SSF2 Turbo, except with redrawn stuff. Even the voices are the same. Even that Ryu drop elbow animation looks to have been smoothed out.

EDIT:

Check out this one, the full page version that Jim posted earlier. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMsLBUagAp4&fmt=18

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Developed by Backbone Entertainment and published by Capcom, “Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3” will be available worldwide (with the exception of Japan and Korea) for 800 Microsoft Points and is rated T for Teen by the ESRB.

With the purchase of “Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3,” Xbox 360 owners will be automatically eligible to participate in an exclusive beta test to help improve the online version of “Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix.” Participants in the beta will be able to submit bug reports and suggestions through beta.capcom.com and help make the final release version even better! The Beta version of Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix will be available to all “Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3” purchasers on June 25.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
That's... not news...

Shard said:
Developed by Backbone Entertainment and published by Capcom, “Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3” will be available worldwide (with the exception of Japan and Korea) for 800 Microsoft Points and is rated T for Teen by the ESRB.

With the purchase of “Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3,” Xbox 360 owners will be automatically eligible to participate in an exclusive beta test to help improve the online version of “Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix.” Participants in the beta will be able to submit bug reports and suggestions through beta.capcom.com and help make the final release version even better! The Beta version of Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix will be available to all “Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3” purchasers on June 25.

Wow, that's a surprise. Is Wolf going to be any good? If so, I'm in.

Flink said:

attachment.php
Sounds like you're describing this:

akuma_2.jpg

If you look at the pic above, you'll see that it's a world of difference. From what I understand, these aren't being used anymore. As for the animation, I'll have to pay more attention next time I see it.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Not to be a dick, but both Akuma drawings are kinda sucky On the old one the face is laughable, its like they took one shot of Akuma and Photoshopped his face open. On the second one the face is better, but the gorilla proportions on both, and the Liefeld esque muscle detail on the first one make me cringe (hey look, we can fit another muscle there! DO IT!)

Perdew

So the message is.... I don't have to buy the Wolf game until the 25th? I doubt it'll be worth it at this point, especially since I apparently have to wait for SFIV to get a real stick.

Diablos

Very disappointed in the decreased sprite quality and inferior art style. WTF were they thinking? If this is because of XBLA size limits, MS needs to stop being so picky. It's not YOUR game, Microsoft. It's also not Capcom's fault that most 360 users out there (myself included) have less than a whopping 20GB to work with.

I might just skip out on this and put my money towards SF4.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Diablos said:
Very disappointed in the decreased sprite quality and inferior art style.

i think it looks great over all after watching that new combo video on the capcom blog. i mean id much rather play this than OG SF2 as long as its faithful to the original. i know they have new moves and stuff but as far as combos and hit boxes... sounds like you're only interested in pretty graphics and not gameplay. :\

also i dunno why people are picking apart single frames (im probably guilty of this too somehwere in this thread but w/e)... its pretty meaningless in 2d games.. I mean you can take a frame out of 3s and becuase of the way its animated it looks ridiculous (cue makoto stretchy face.jpg)

my only gripe really is that its taking so long... not really becuase of the wait but just makes me wonder if there are some serious issues/hurdles they are running into

m3k

looks pretty good in motion to me... not a waste of resources me thinks, but way too much exposure at bad points

reminds me of when acclaim came out with turok pictures around the launch of the 64... they looked horrendous, but well after a public flaming i think this is coming together rather nicely

just spend more time polishing it up

/end2cents

Top Bottom