• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oh wow - the Amiga is 25! AMIGA APPRECIATION THREAD

ambalek said:
It was difficult to actually know what you were meant to do, but the sci-fi setting and 3D character models got me hooked. It was strangely difficult to actually game over in that game.

Yeah, I got a certain ways into the first case, and then just had no idea where to go/what to do.

ambalek said:
Another interesting open 3D game was Hunter, I got seriously obsessed with that.

YES. I absolutely loved this game, absurdly ahead of its time, and in many ways the precursor to the 3D Grand Theft Auto games. Indeed, so called "open world" games in general have a huge debt to largely British developed games on the likes of the 8bits and Amiga, especially stuff like Elite, Exile, Midwinter series, and Hunter.

When I first played it, it was only a demo on a friend's Atari ST, and I believe it was timed. We had about 15 minutes playtime, during which we'd try all sorts of stuff, from obvious things like trying to get as far across the map as possible, to catching rabbits and getting loads of cars and bicycles to drive round in synchronised circles on their own by jumping out while turning, and other pointless sillyness.

I never played the real game until years later, and it didn't work on Amiga 1200s, even with all the clever downgrader fix disks out there. Then Amiga Format stuck a special patch on their cover CD that finally got it working, and I played the hell out of it. Completed the game, but never did all the bonus missions.

XTERC

I miss you Amiga... My mother sold my A4000 when I moved to America with all my 68000 / ECS / AGA source code on it. I'd pay good money to get that Hard Drive back!

Dennis

Banned
Strummerjones said:
YES. I absolutely loved this game, absurdly ahead of its time, and in many ways the precursor to the 3D Grand Theft Auto games. Indeed, so called "open world" games in general have a huge debt to largely British developed games on the likes of the 8bits and Amiga, especially stuff like Elite, Exile, Midwinter series, and Hunter.
Indeed. We are all indebted to these pioneers.

YBuEOpbaD.png

BdGXeiBZn.png

IQUEHCLxB.png

gZVkbZhaV.png

EhTvxTLqc.png

lTcxzcYGo.png

CAQHzZQsA.png

EPlbNrhZv.png

pYXboUlwz.png

qcNWrwxUR.png

gqYEtolKd.png

VyeIePtrZ.png

:D :D

JRW

MadmanUK said:
No way, that stick will f you up. That sort of shit is what made Steven Hawking how he is today.

This is the real deal Holyfield-

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Of all the joysticks I had there was one called a "Wico Command" that we used for my C64 / Amiga 500 and that thing was built like a Tank. It was the only one to survive our Track & Field / Decathlon abuse over the years.

wico%20command%20control.jpg

The worst thing about the amiga is the damned custom floppy driver. Only about half of my floppys actually work.. And you cant download an floppy image and copy it on the pc.

Id would kill for a amiga floppy usb drive for pc so i could get my floppies i order. :lol

Emulation just isnt the same, even with floppydrive sound emulation. :lol

Fularu

Banned
miserabile visu said:
The worst thing about the amiga is the damned custom floppy driver. Only about half of my floppys actually work.. And you cant download an floppy image and copy it on the pc.

Id would kill for a amiga floppy usb drive for pc so i could get my floppies i order. :lol

You can buy (if you reaaaaaly want to) a catweasel drive that will allow you to write amiga discs, but it's pricey (about 125-150$).

Or you could just buy a nullmodem cable, connect your pc to your amiga and write discs that way, but it takes forever.

Floppies die easily with age, it's a very fragile medium.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
miserabile visu said:
becfb4aa-8af0-40b5-9544-e910e369cddf.jpg

the king of amiga joysticks.
What? Feather light base combined with an overly stiff throw made the Tac-2 a bloody nightmare to use properly. Give me an Epyx 500XJ or one of the Wico sticks instead - especially for titles like Summer Games, etc. where precision was a priority. Plus the Wico ad tagline was hilarious..."My Sticko Won't Go Wacko Cuz It's A Wico".

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Fularu said:
Won the first place at The Party 94 ;) I was preparing an AGA demo post, but have to do it again (stupid crash). Nexus 7 is far, far from the most amazing/artistic AGA demo though. The most artistic one goes to "Factory" by Virtual Dreams (Alien, if you read this, you were amazing).
I was at first thinking that Nexus 7 was an OCS demo, but now that you mention it, I remember that it was AGA.

Sure there were more impressive AGA demos but this one was the first of the great ones, and one of the few really good looking AGA demos that ran perfectly on an unexpanded A1200. Most of the demos that came after required 68030+ machine with lots of RAM to run at all, or at least to run fast enough.

A good example of this is TBL's Starstruck, made in 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wtMEBPWeMo

I do consider Nexus 7 one of the best looking demos regardless though, so we can't agree there :p

I can't quite remember Factory, but Sumea (also coded by Alien) was one of my favourite AGA demos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFAFhZPIvOs

I used them all but nothing , and I mean nothing beats the good old plain Suzo Arcade stick , the Competition pro buttons where terrible :

j_arcade.jpg

I still have two of them !

CaseyTappy said:
I used them all but nothing , and I mean nothing beats the good old plain Suzo Arcade stick , the Competition pro buttons where terrible :

j_arcade.jpg

I still have two of them !

This is what I used as well. I played through Gods (Bitmap Bros) using this one with just one hand when I had broken my left hand and couldn't use it for 12 weeks (I managed to clean break in half one of the hardest bones in your body that heals only from one side, only bone I've ever broken in my life). I used the bottom of my hand to press the button, pretty crazy. Fortunately Gods never required you to button-mash! :lol (Would have looked weird too ... )

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Been on a ridiculous Amiga kick lately. Loaded up and played some old classics and man, what a trip down memory lane. Sadly though, 90% of Amiga games have aged poorly :( Games that I used to love: Sword of Sodan, Blood Money, Test Drive II, Moonshine Racers, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, etc....simply look and play like crap now :lol

The only games I would say still hold up and are a blast to play are Turrican II, Lotus Espirit Challenge I&II, Faery Tale Adventure, and of course Dungeon Master.

miserabile visu said:

With the latest version of WinUAE you'd be surprised at how accurate it feels. It's basically a carbon copy experience.

Elfish

Nintendo should offer amiga games on the Wii virtual console though.

So many great titles.

Looks like nobody mentioned these 2 games or else I missed it.

wlrwv5.png

29yfds1.png

And my favorit was this

2gvsrdd.png

Fularu

Banned
Lord Error said:
I was at first thinking that Nexus 7 was an OCS demo, but now that you mention it, I remember that it was AGA.

;)
Sure there were more impressive AGA demos but this one was the first of the great ones, and one of the few really good looking AGA demos that ran perfectly on an unexpanded A1200. Most of the demos that came after required 68030+ machine with lots of RAM to run at all, or at least to run fast enough.

The first "real" aga demos came out a year before Nexus 7, like Origin by Complex or Real also by Complex

Others came out during The Gathring 1994 (like Real) and started the wave. While i agree that a good many demos requiered you to have a 68030+8 megs of ram (rarely more) that wzs mostly for computing power and wasn't an outlandish requierement. Unlike some 68060 demos ;) (yes they exist).

I do consider Nexus 7 one of the best looking demos regardless though, so we can't agree there :p

Nexus 7 was great the first time, it ripped off Piwar intelligently, the rest of the demo is average though :p Far from the beauties made by CNCD, TBL, VD, Skarla and co.

I can't quite remember Factory, but Sumea (also coded by Alien) was one of my favourite AGA demos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFAFhZPIvOs
Sumea is great, but faktory is so simple and elegant :)

Gagaman

May as well drop this tribute art I did about six years ago in here..

have a lot of nostalgia for the Amiga, currently own a CD32 (don't laugh) because i don't really have the room for a proper Amiga computer knocking about.

Gorgon

Elfish said:
Nintendo should offer amiga games on there Wii virtual console though.

So many great titles.

Looks like nobody mentioned these 2 games or else I missed it.

1158568709-00.jpg
1158568708-00.jpg

1117_dbs1.png

Looks like you didn't read the FAQ about not deeplinking to images. Use something like Photobucket or equivalent, so that you can save the images in your HD and then upload them to Photobucket and use a link to post here. There's a thread somewhere in GAF that helps you do it if you don't know how to.

Elfish

Gorgon said:
Looks like you didn't read the FAQ about not deeplinking to images. Use something like Photobucket or equivalent, so that you can save the images in your HD and then upload them to Photobucket and use a link to post here. There's a thread somewhere in GAF that helps you do it if you don't know how to.

Sorry about that, going to fix it in a bit

Elfish said:
And my favorit was this

2gvsrdd.png

Hell yeah. I spent sooo many hours with that game. It got to a point where I'd sneak in half an hour or so of playtime before starting school in the morning. :lol I've never done that with any game since.

FirewalkR

I still remember the first time I saw Amiga games being played, in some weekly game show (gaming segment in some show, more like it)... the very first were probably either Operation Wolf or Shadow of the Beast. I just had to have one, and whined my way into convincing my parents to buy an A500 (didn't have to whine much iirc lol). It still is the best gaming machine ever created. <3

FLEABttn

Banned
I never had one and I never knew anyone who did. Which is too bad, it sounds like I missed out.

I see there's an AmigaOS 4.1. Can anyone even use that? Has anyone here used that?

Fularu

Banned
FLEABttn said:
I never had one and I never knew anyone who did. Which is too bad, it sounds like I missed out.

I see there's an AmigaOS 4.1. Can anyone even use that? Has anyone here used that?
You need a PPC capable amiga for that (classic amiga computers with PPC cards or the AmigaOne line of computers for example).

The latest 68k amiga OS is 3.9, which I use. (I can't find a decently priced PPC accelerator card)

Mar

Ding said:
Did anyone use one of these joysticks? They were awesome. Click-tastic.

konix_speedking.jpg

Those indeed were the days....

Supposedly unbreakable, and technically mine didn't break, however the shaft was bent.

And the joystick I owned too

Schrade

XTERC said:
I miss you Amiga... My mother sold my A4000 when I moved to America with all my 68000 / ECS / AGA source code on it. I'd pay good money to get that Hard Drive back!
What kind of an inconsiderate person would sell someone else's property without talking to them first?

LabouredSubterfuge said:
[IMG ]http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2006/06/Atari_CX_40_Standard_Joystick_Controller.jpg[/IMG]

WHERE'S YOUR GOD NOW?!
The rubber sheath on that used to pop out. Hated those.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Ding said:
Did anyone use one of these joysticks? They were awesome. Click-tastic.

konix_speedking.jpg

Those indeed were the days....

raises hand

Hell, I may STILL have it laying around here for all I know. A helluva a joystick and bullet proof. Wonder if there's a USB version :lol

missile

XTERC said:
Oh man, I feel for you!

FLEABttn said:

I was obsessed with Amiga stuff back in the day, but even I never got beyond 3.5. The OS never really went beyond version 3.1, which was the last version developed by Commodore in about 1992 or so. The fact it had so many brilliant, ahead of its time features meant it could (just about) keep pace with the likes of Windows well into the mid 90s. The trouble was that was in the hands of an enthusiast who had all the latest (and often extremely impressive) shareware stuff like MUI, etc. For the average man in the street however, Amiga Os was an ugly, crude, frustrating mess that was a joke compared to Windows 95.

All the later stuff is basically a Frankenstein's monster of third party patches and hacks, and attempts at getting an outdated operating system designed only to run on geriatric 68k processors running on systems that are now just as obsolete (e.g. PowerPC chips). I loved the Amiga back in the day, but these days it's only interesting as a "what if" curiosity from the 80s/early 90s or as a moneypit for extremely rich obessives.

The tale end of the original Amiga scene in the late 90s was particularly ugly, with all sorts of outrageously expensive add-ons made seemingly for a market of about 10 people with more money than sense, companies going bust left and right, and opportunist bastards scamming the remaining faithful (e.g. Alive Mediasoft) before fleeing into the night.

They were the best of times, they were the blurst of times.

Philthy

Just a few games that still make todays games look like a joke. Some of these may not be unique to the Amiga, but they are of that day and age and the scope of them are often larger and more detailed than what we're seeing churned out with 200 person teams. Ridiculous.

Frontier Elite 2
Starflight 1 & 2
Starglider 2
Cybercron 3
Damocles - Mercenary 3
Carrier Command
Armour-Geddon 1 & 2

And while not ground breaking, but the best version of Turrican was Turrican 2 on the Amiga and Atari ST. It was the only one never ported to the consoles later on in life. The awesome was just too great to be ported properly. It did see a near perfect PC release years later, however. Chris Huelsbeck, you are a god and made the best theme song for any game to date with this game. Thank you!

SmokyDave

Still got my A500. Perhaps I'll dust it off for the anniversary. Truly a magnificent machine.

I used to use a Megadrive controller with mine.

25 years!!! i knew i was getting old but i didn't know i was a relic among today's gamers. Frontier Elite 2, Another World, Sensible Soccer, Silk Worm, Moonstone, Lost Patrol, Lemmings, Turrican, countless playabale demos...Oh 90's how i miss thee :(

Turrican3

The Amiga was great, and so were the original creators and most of the engineering people who worked on it after Miner left.

Commodore's (late) management? Not so great, unfortunately.

I still own a couple of Amiga at home... so many memories...

Happy birthday Amiga!!!

Also:

super_stardust_000.png

The best Asteroids coin-op there never was. Great graphics, increasingly frantic and exciting as it went on, and technically pretty astounding (8 channel music! The tunnel levels!). It always amuses me that the sequel is such a hit on the PS3, it's good to see such a largely forgotten game impressing people 15 years later.

liger05

Really is just too many games to mention.

I had Amiga 500 & 1200. Remember when my friend got the 600.

Remmeber in school when people were on the megadrive and snes and I was more than happy with my Amiga. The time spent on Championship Manager was crazy.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Trojan X said:

Never owned an Amiga, but I have this game on Turbo-CD... is it really considered that much of a classic? I dunno if the Turbo-CD version is a poor representation of the original game, or what... but I found, when I played, a game that forces you to reset the game if you go out exploring in the wrong area, a MAJOR game design no-no. Neat artstyle at least, though.

I regret to say that my only Amiga experience is listening to old MOD/S3M/IT music and playing the occasional port to Genesis. Really need to get on the ball one day, the whole Euro computer scene is like the last frontier for me games-wise.

djtiesto said:
Never owned an Amiga, but I have this game on Turbo-CD... is it really considered that much of a classic? I dunno if the Turbo-CD version is a poor representation of the original game, or what... but I found, when I played, a game that forces you to reset the game if you go out exploring in the wrong area, a MAJOR game design no-no. Neat artstyle at least, though.

Shadow of the Beast is famously pretty awful. When it came out it was graphically state of the art, however, which is why people still talk fondly of it. All across the UK you'd find it running in shop windows wowing people, and it sold a lot of systems as a result. Just don't actually try and play it...

Yeah, I would get actual headaches trying to play Shadow of the Beast, horrible game design. The intro on the Amiga was amazing at the time though.

sotb1 was 100% pure graphics demo.

sotb2 was still shit and way to hard but with an great intro.

sotb3 was actually a pretty descent game. Sorta underrated.

Fularu

Banned
When you knew what to do and how to play the game, SOTB was actually brilliant.

The music, the graphics, the atmosphere. You just had to understand the hitbox and the enemies. Also, just like R-Type, you had to know exactly when enemies, traps and things like that would spawn.

You can one life it prety easily after that ;)

Fularu said:
When you knew what to do and how to play the game, SOTB was actually brilliant.

The music, the graphics, the atmosphere. You just had to understand the hitbox and the enemies. Also, just like R-Type, you had to know exactly when enemies, traps and things like that would spawn.

You can one life it prety easily after that ;)

The first two games had extremely cheap deaths and were borderline unplayable. The third one was actually really enjoyable, with a much better design.

I have fonder memories of that one than of the other two, even though few people remember or have played the last game of the series, mostly because the Amiga was starting to fall into oblivion when it was released.

Top Bottom