• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ohio Officer Shoots Newspaper Photographer w/o Warning

How you gonna like someone who fuckin' shot you
I could be one of those small-town "I like Jake*" quotes.

*actually I hate his guts and hope he chokes on his own turds but I'm forced to say something extremely positive in print because Jake is actually an unhinged lunatic who answers to no one and he knows where my family lives and I saw what happened to the Sludgesons back in 2007 when Jake got pissed at them but no one dares talk about because you don't fuck with Jake

I mean. . . I'm just sayin'.

Police in the US are the jumpiest motherfuckers on the planet.

The idea that the cop thought this guy was setting up a tripod to shoot at him is bizarre, but in general Americans love concealed carry so much that you might as well just assume everybody you meet is packing.

I will make sure to be a cheeky ass to you the next time you miss a detail on something.

But back to the cop, let's hope we see the fruits of a rigorous internal investigation soon.

That would be within your right because it's a pretty big detail. Don't make assumptions on situations when you haven't made sure all your facts are in order.

ZlgW7nb.gif

Yessssssss

KingV

I picture this scene as very country bumpkin.

"Aw, hell, Jake , now what'd you go and do that for?"

"Damn, Andy, I thought you were setting ups .50c caliber machine gun nest right here on State Road 22. I'm awful sorry."

"Damn it to hell, Jake, it was a gosh darn camera! Now call me an ambulance!"

Edit: also Jake is actually named Jake for once.

MechaX

That would be within your right because it's a pretty big detail. Don't make assumptions on situations when you haven't made sure all your facts are in order.

Uh, I don't think "mistaking a camera tripod for a weapon and opening fire" really gets any better just because it was at night (where the cop is likely to note "I couldn't see it clearly") when the big discussion is why the cop even defaulted to this reaction in the first place regardless of time of day.

But eh, you do you.

Enzom21

Who cares what the victim wants, that idiot should not be a cop.
—
#Notallcops guy is here already?
“My cop defense sense is tingling, time to defend my shit profession.”

The alt-right can't blame BLM or "alt-left" violence on this. A town of 5,000 people and the photographer was white.

Who am I kidding, I'm sure they'll find a way.

Watch the officer get paid leave and keep his job. They'll put him on desk duty for a bit and then he'll be back on the streets in no time, as trigger happy as ever.

Volimar

This is a small town cop who shouldn't be a cop. Not sure how BLM or the alt right got involved in the conversation but okay.

How do you mistake a tripod for a gun? Did he think this guy was fresh off the choppa from hunting predators and decided to mount a gatling gun and shoot him down while he was on a traffic stop?

That makes no sense and indicates a ridiculous level of paranoia.

Because police officers are incompetent fucks who convince themselves that they are "soldiers" and take a shoot first approach to their job.

Some are, yes. Not all thanks.

Is Jake one? Should Jake be fired? If Jake was in your department, would you want him to be your partner? If he told you he panicked and shot Andy, would you keep that news to yourself, or tell your superiors? At a certain point (and you're long past it), you can't just keep saying "not all cops."

Because police officers are incompetent fucks who convince themselves that they are "soldiers" and take a shoot first approach to their job.

Is there any reason why training, psych tests and all that seem to be more shorter/more shit than in Germany, for example?
No budget?

Some are, yes. Not all thanks.

I'll wait patiently for all of the police organizations to come out and call for this moron to be fired while I continue to chant #notallcops.

American police system is garbage, filled with garbage individuals more interested in serving and protecting each other than the general public.

hoserx

Who cares what the victim wants, that idiot should not be a cop.
—
#Notallcops guy is here already?
“My cop defense sense is tingling, time to defend my shit profession

Is this okay to say nowadays? Being a police officer is a shit profession now?

Volimar

Is this okay to say nowadays? Being a police officer is a shit profession now?

Yeah it pretty much is. The force is lousy with people who abuse their power and the unions protect them from consequences. You very very rarely see any law enforcement member in a position of authority speak against the status quo, and the ones that do are the exception that prove the rule when they're dogpiled by their fellow LE personnel.

NimbusD

Yeah... definitely a scenario where it doesn't matter one bit what the victim wants to happen. The dude should not be employed as an officer, let alone be allowed to have a gun.

JaggedSac

Come on guys, police have been trained to prevent people from setting up choke points with m50s. This sounds by the book to me.

I imagine that if this is a small town that the photographer also probably has to at least consider people turning on him if he's publicly speaking out against a sheriff's deputy. :\

And if photographing lightning in this town can get you shot, imagine how the cops treat people they actually have beef with!

Volimar

It's probably not anything like that. Lots of folks in small towns and villages are live and let live types. Being afraid of retaliation probably isn't high on his list of reasons for defending the guy.

Should definitely lose his job though.

Top Bottom