• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ohio Officer Shoots Newspaper Photographer w/o Warning

Gonna start treating cops like bears in the wild. If I see one, going to curl up into a ball and hope they just hit me a few times and leave when they have lost interest.

I am genuinely confused what the alt-right has to do with this.

Reactions to the story has a lot of cop defenders justifying it as I thought they would. Always happens when these stories come out. They have to shift the blame and damn if it isn't contagious to dummies.

J-Rzez

Is this okay to say nowadays? Being a police officer is a shit profession now?

On GAF, yes.

I'll wait patiently for all of the police organizations to come out and call for this moron to be fired while I continue to chant #notallcops.

American police system is garbage, filled with garbage individuals more interested in serving and protecting each other than the general public.

What's your profession? I'm sure in retrospective, yours has bad apples in it too. But would you say all of them are terrible?

Is Jake one? Should Jake be fired? If Jake was in your department, would you want him to be your partner? If he told you he panicked and shot Andy, would you keep that news to yourself, or tell your superiors? At a certain point (and you're long past it), you can't just keep saying "not all cops."

Jake shouldn't have a badge and gun. You're to know what you're shooting at and at least what's behind it.

What's your profession? I'm sure in retrospective, yours has bad apples in it too. But would you say all of them are terrible?

I would not defend the ones that are terrible and fight for them to keep their jobs. If I and every one else in this hypothetical profession did that, then yes, we would all be assholes.

Think about it, if every shitty McDonalds employee that messed up orders, came in late, spit in burgers, was rude to customers, ect...instead of being fired was just put on paid leave every time they messed up, was constantly defended by their peers/superiors, shuffled around from one McDonalds to another, would it surprise you if people were like "Man McDonalds' employees seem really shitty"?

Canon on tripod:
camera-961942_960_720.jpg

Cannon on tripod
QLZ-87+automatic+grenade+launcher+%2528China%2529+.jpg

Seems legit.

Breads

Banned
No you don't keep officers who shoot at people for setting up cameras jfc.

Being an american police officer pretty much means you're a bully, a thug and an asshole.
Unfair.

However it does mean if you are you will most likely get a paid vacation over it though.

Dali

Fuck you, reporter guy. Doesn't matter what you want. You shoot someone with no warning, that is on top if that doing nothing dangerous or provocative, you deserve to be fired AND brought up on charges.

Because America's police culture tends to attract idiot assholes who want a power trip.

I know, but proper testing/training would prevent these people from joining.
That's my question, why is there barely any training? It seems weird for a country like the US. What's the justification for not implementing something to raise the average competence?

Guys, he probably thought the mounted camera was a mounted LMG and feared for his life. Completely acceptable. Completely. And Im super glad he likes Jake despite getting shot, perfectly reasonable.

Fuck the police.

MCN

Banned
I know, but proper testing/training would prevent these people from joining.
That's my question, why is there barely any training? It seems weird for a country like the US. What's the justification for not implementing something to raise the average competence?

Taxes.

Andy Grimm, who knows Shaw, said he does not want the officer to be fired, the paper reported.

“I know Jake,” he said. “I like Jake.”

HE SHOT YOU. With no warning and for no reason. Please stop extending continued friendship and other olive branches to shitty police officers.

Well that, the desire to hire people under an IQ threshold (forget the report but basically the departments were going out of their way to not hire high aptitude applicants). Oh and also barely slapping cops who do anything wrong on the wrist. Basically like when my dog was a puppy and peed on the bed and I yelled at her, through the sheets et al in the wash, and then arranged the pillows on the bed for her to sleep on, that sort of punishment.

Bold One

Being a copper in the states must be the most secure fuckin gig in the world, there is nothing these guys can do to lose their jobs.

F34R

There's more to the story... it seems it wasn't as simple as this guy was setting up a tripod, with a camera, to take pictures.

Grimm said he knows the deputy well and works with him frequently. Grimm tells FOX 45 he does not want the deputy to lose his job over the shooting. "I was on my way to identify myself to the deputy so he didn't think that I was sneaking up on him. I am not mad at the deputy. I just wish I would have said something before he pulled the trigger."

Now, that doesn't actually justify the shooting, but at least we're getting more info.

http://fox45now.com/news/local/officer-involved-shooting-reported-in-new-carlisle

Ploid 3.0

Andy Grimm, who knows Shaw, said he does not want the officer to be fired, the paper reported.

“I know Jake,” he said. “I like Jake.”

Whaaaatt .jakie chan.jpg perjp0o020-3049u07860q94rqau er

Tedesco!

It all depends on the state and the statutes of that state. Training requirements vary from state to state, and that means use of force requirements vary from state to state.

In Kansas an officer might go through some very basic training at their respective agency before attending state mandated basic training for 12 weeks. After that they might have follow-up training with their agency (as it pertains to the area they serve) in addition to a required 40 hours of yearly continuing education training.

In my mind it is less about the actual training, and more about the officer remembering their training and their superiors reinforcing that training.

F34R

It all depends on the state and the statutes of that state. Training requirements vary from state to state, and that means use of force requirements vary from state to state.

In Kansas an officer might go through some very basic training at their respective agency before attending state mandated basic training for 12 weeks. After that they might have follow-up training with their agency (as it pertains to the area they serve) in addition to a required 40 hours of yearly continuing education training.

In my mind it is less about the actual training, and more about the officer remembering their training and their superiors reinforcing that training.

That's pretty much how it is here. Except it is 13 weeks in South Carolina. Keep in mind, that's an updated academy time. Mine was only 9 weeks back in 2000. We have to have legal and cdv updates yearly, as well as firearms re-qualification, driving re-qualification, as well as 40hrs continued education training. We also have mandatory hazmat, blood borne pathogen, respirator suit, active shooter, DUI, and RADAR cert every three years. We get the updates on those in between the mandatory re cert times. If you carry a tazer, capstun, or straight baton, those are yearly recerts as well. Our use of force training, deadly force training, is really in depth at the academy, and well after graduation.

The academy time I mentioned is for Basic Law. Class A certified officers. Highway Patrol has another 9 weeks after the basic law portion and state transport police also have another academy time frame.

I'll bet 90% or more of civilian deaths by police officers are unwarranted in the US. But nothing is being done about it.

At my workplace if I were to pull a muscle in my back from improper lifting, I'd be educated on how to properly lift the next time. If I acted like a dummy and ran a fork lift into a wall I'd get fired.

But if I were a cop I could go so far as to strait up murder people, and get a paid vacation plus a pat on the back for doing so.

J-Rzez

I would not defend the ones that are terrible and fight for them to keep their jobs. If I and every one else in this hypothetical profession did that, then yes, we would all be assholes.

Think about it, if every shitty McDonalds employee that messed up orders, came in late, spit in burgers, was rude to customers, ect...instead of being fired was just put on paid leave every time they messed up, was constantly defended by their peers/superiors, shuffled around from one McDonalds to another, would it surprise you if people were like "Man McDonalds' employees seem really shitty"?

Who would want an officer like that as their back up? No one sane would. He shouldn't have a badge and gun. I don't defend ALL cops mind you. But I'm not one just to jump on the FTP party boat just when police are even brought up on GAF.

If we judge all off of fewer, everyone in this country, and hell, planet would "be shit."

Who would want an officer like that as their back up?
His fellow police and his union who will fight to ensure he gets the most minimal punishment possible, assuming they can't get him totally exonerated after using every tool at their disposal to do so.

Mistake

This story makes me wonder how many times an officer has yelled 'my bad' after shooting someone.
I remember that story where two cops wrestled a guy to the ground, obviously had him pinned, then one cop felt the need to shoot and shot the cop instead. oh, don't forget, it wasn't him that did it. It was the pinned guy with no gun

guys. it's a piece of a quote. he probably had more nuance to offer here.

i know the militarization of US cops is out of control but i guess i want to believe that this was an accidental discharge. probably silly but what can i say.

How does that work exactly? Since you know guns point down in holsters unless...he took the gun out of the holster and pointed it at dude...at that point how is it an accident? He meant to point it for the lulz but didn't mean to actually shoot?

Omadahl

Banned
That reply about not wanting him fired is some straight up Tina Turner telling Ike it's okay shit. NO IT'S NOT!

zashga

Waiting for those good cops to stand up against this.

The best you're going to get is a "there must be more to this story" and maybe a "I personally wouldn't have shot him." The bar for acceptable police conduct is almost as low as the bar for presidential conduct at this point.

The best you're going to get is a "there must be more to this story" and maybe a "I personally wouldn't have shot him." The bar for acceptable police conduct is almost as low as the bar for presidential conduct at this point.

There isn't a bar for police conduct. Police can rape dozens of women and STILL get a defense force/benefit of doubt.

Top Bottom