• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok I'm a retard: Difference between A/V and Component?

Think of it like a chain. Your video quality will only be as stron as the weakest link.

So no, it wouldn't produce any results.

Quick question before the thread goes to shit ;-)

I don't think I've ever encountered component over here in the UK - though my most recent TV is now a couple of years old and I've not really followed TV tech in a while. Is component widespread over here? If not, what's the equivalent, as I've only encountered RF, SCART and AV on most retail sets?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Cosmonaut X said:
I don't think I've ever encountered component over here in the UK - though my most recent TV is now a couple of years old and I've not really followed TV tech in a while. Is component widespread over here? If not, what's the equivalent, as I've only encountered RF, SCART and AV on most retail sets?
Component is not used in Europe. RGB SCART is an equivalent though.

Marconelly said:
Component is not used in Europe. RGB SCART is an equivalent though.

Cheers.

So, picking up one of the official Nintendo RGB SCART cables for my 'Cube will give me the best picture results (assuming the rest of my setup is up to spec)?

Leonsito

My 6600GT came with an Component/Composite to S-Video converter like this:

_VIDPORT.JPG

I assume then that if I convert the signal from Component to S-Video I'm downgrading (OMG) the quality.

Is there any converter from Component to DVI to be able of use the Wii on a Samsung 940BW?

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Mason said:
What about S-Video? Is that a big improvement? Also, is the difference between A/V and component really that big of a difference?
YES and YES.

However, the difference between svideo and component is very small on SDTVs (only better colors). So you might want to run with that at least.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Shogmaster said:
BTW, what's the dealio with connections on HDTVs over there? Is it pretty much like over here in the States?
Basically nobody even knows what component is but they have it and HDMI is standard. Most do VGA.

Licensers refuse to allow HD broadcast over component which is basically why we have no HDTV.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Cosmonaut X said:
Cheers.

So, picking up one of the official Nintendo RGB SCART cables for my 'Cube will give me the best picture results (assuming the rest of my setup is up to spec)?
It will give you the best 480i picture quality but it won't give you 480p. That is only possible over component. So if your TV can do progressive, component would be the first choice.

Mar

This thread has made me want to buy component cables for my GCN :(. Those reds bleeding all over the place in Wind Waker has been annoying me for ages (still haven't finished it yet).

KoffiiKat

Most educational thread I've encountered in a while.

So even if my TV supports progressive scan (not sure how to determine this quite yet), RGB SCART is the best cable I can hope to get since I live in Europe?

Will such a thing even be released for the Wii over here?

(Who cares about HD, it's all in the cables anyway, right? :lol )

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
NOE will sell a RGB and a Component cable for the Wii in europe. They are both listed on amazon.de for instance.

Skullkid

Does anyone know how significant the difference in video quality is between component and HDMI (say, on PS3 at 1080i on my Wega tube TV)?

Johnny

Leonsito said:
My 6600GT came with an Component/Composite to S-Video converter like this:

_VIDPORT.JPG

I assume then that if I convert the signal from Component to S-Video I'm downgrading (OMG) the quality.

Is there any converter from Component to DVI to be able of use the Wii on a Samsung 940BW?
That just looks like a dongle to output Composite/S-Video/Component from your video card.

Tsubaki

demi said:
The difference between S-Vid and Composite is slim, whereas it is definitely noticeable from Composite to Component (Composite -> S-Video -> Component).

I completely disagree.

I've used composite for the majority of my life. I switched to S-Video for all my consoles last year (and DVDs), and it makes a tremendous difference. Everything that used to be blurry is now sharp - text in particular.

I also have component input and while I have my DVD player connected by component, I see very little difference between S-video and component. I did some switching of the two just to compare. The colors are slightly different. But I wouldn't claim one is better than the other. That being said, I do not have a progressive scan TV so I don't get the full benefits of component. But as far as picture quality...

Norse

"Its only a tv"

omg...I can't believe I heard a fellow gamer utter that shizzle.

By the sounds of it..the tv you own would excuse you when making comments on how x360 and ps3 graphics dont look that much betterr than last gen.

You need to get a tv. What you currently own is not considered a tv by todays standards.

Quick Question
My Home Cimema System has progressive scan.
My new TV arriving tomorrow (Sharp Aquos) has component via DVI or VGA or something (Adaptor thing comes with it)

Point being, will my DVD's look better played through Progessive than through scart?

Mr Wispy said:
I have an A/V which came with the 360. My tv is old so it doesn't support component.

I have a question though; the VGA cable for 360 ... is it worth getting to play it on my pc monitor? I have a tft samsung 710v. It's pretty nice, and looks beautiful when watching animated movies (like Shrek or Advent Children). I was just wondering if it would make a whole lot of difference from A/V?
Also, would it be worth going from VGA to DVI then to the monitor? The monitor isn't actually HD, but I'm sure its not far off.
Any help would be much appreciated!

(Also, how many posts do we need before we can create topics?)

If you have a 17" LCD, then it is most definitely a HD capable monitor (1280x1024 native, which can fully display 1280x720 a.k.a. 720p with letterboxing). Trust me, that $40 VGA cable purchase (less if you look around) will make the games you've been playing look a whole hell of a lot better.

elostyle said:
Basically nobody even knows what component is but they have it and HDMI is standard. Most do VGA.

Licensers refuse to allow HD broadcast over component which is basically why we have no HDTV.

Very interesting. Thanks.

Vormund

No I wouldn't say we are rich...but we do some research before purchasing to get the best bang for buck.

Even though I currently own a SDTV, running it through component is miles ahead of composite, and I'm glad I got it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
You crackers forgot D terminal, the japanese standard.

Vexidus

Where do RF adapters fit in here? I still use RF for gamecube, ps2, and n64 (and composite for my dvd player) The quality looks decent to me, but then again my tv is quite old (1995 21" Toshiba)

santouras

RF adapters are the lowest of the low, below Composite. There is a pretty significant jump between RF and Composite, then another jump to s-video and again to component. You really want to be using composite as a BARE minimum.

I recently got a 32" LCD and that showed up how terrible composite really is. Pixel jumping, red bleeding, everything. I got component cables and the difference is night and day. I will never go back, and I'm going to import component cables for my wii to guarentee I have them day 1

Vexidus said:
Where do RF adapters fit in here? I still use RF for gamecube, ps2, and n64 (and composite for my dvd player) The quality looks decent to me, but then again my tv is quite old (1995 21" Toshiba)

RF is the worst possible video connection there is since it mixes video and audio into a single signal!

Svideo's better than composite Chu totoro.

I begged my mates to buy an Svideo cable so they could actually read the writing in PS2 games, they were glad of their purchase, they say contrast has changed the most, which looks better.

I want to know which is better between RGB scart and Svideo?

and is an A/V scart just the same as composite?

Zaptruder

Banned
Hatorade said:
This is flat out wrong

(HDMI = DVI)* > RBG, VGA (RGBHV) >>>>(BNC - what the hell is this? It looks like an audio connector. Not a consumer connection) > Component > Svideo >>>>> Composite >>>Coaxial.

Fixed.

*HDMI also includes digital audio... which matters to the 3 people on GAF with HDMI recievers. The rest of us will either be stuck using optical toslink or god forbid, RCA.

Maztorre

Panic_Attack said:
That's ok, you are happy with disgustingly shitty quality video. Most gamers are not, we enjoy high def and at the bare minimum 480p over component. The difference between composite and component with gamecube was HUGE. Beautiful over component, ugly colors and blurred image through composite.

Really stupid thread.

I don't remember "most gamers" frothing over HD until the companies started telling them to. In fact I think for the most part people on these forums are still using 480i without whinging about what an AV ghetto they're in.

God forbid many people lack the free time or interest to follow AV tech sites. That doesn't mean they should be lambasted over not using more expensive AV equipment on (already increasingly expensive)systems/games. This thread is anything but stupid for people who are looking for actual info on which cables to use and with which TVs instead of being ragged on by people like you.

Really stupid AV elitism.

Mason said:
I think any average standard definition TV does not have component inputs. I have 3 TVs, all purchased within the past couple years, and none of them have inputs for that. Is it just typical GAF sensationalism that EVERY TV has component?

My little 14" Toshiba says hi.

I went to the trouble of getting component cables for the GC. The difference between it and even SVHS is like night and day. Ewww composite. (Before this TV, I used to game on RF. I don't know how I did it now.)

Andonuts

mysticstylez said:
Did you purchase those TV's from a Salvation Army? Joking aside, its hard to not find TV's without Component inputs.

I bought a 20' Phillips TV 3 years ago with components for $160.00 Now I have a Samsung 24' with compnents for $250.00

I must just be cahrazy but the first TV I've EVER seen with component in has been my Samsung HDTV that I bought this year.

and I've had some pretty nice regular old TV's, too.

More seriously, there really is no reason not to use the cables for whatever the best connection your individual TV happens to have -- each step in the RF -> composite -> S-video/component upgrade chain is individually worth $30 or whatever just in terms of being able to read things better, etc.

But the techtardism on GAF is still really goofy, especially when people don't actually know what they're talking about. I think it's really hilarious that we got so many posts of "how can you have a TV without component every TV made in years has one!!!" when in fact S-video's been standard for years but plenty of the TVs sold in the places most people actually buy TVs didn't carry component until maybe 3 years ago. I'd like it if someone could post about TV features on here without getting the third degree for what a bad consumer they are or whatever, esp. when actual helpful advice (like "if you have the slots for it, a $20 S-video cable might really improve your gaming experience") really would be appreciated by people.

0OoO0

OMG, I have been using the RF adapter to play the gamecube for the whole time!
Could someone post a comparison screenshot of a game in RF and Component/ S-Video? It would be interesting to see the improvements in the graphic quality

Edit: Oh just found a comparison screenshot from a link someone posted earlier

composite
std-composite-yuna.png

s-video
monster-s-yuna.png

Smokey

usea said:
Basically, the majority of GAF is rich.

Has nothing to due with being 'rich'. You can get a 32'' HDTV from WAL MART for like $500-$600, and if you look around you can find some HD CRT's for cheaper than that. If you have a decent job that's not really a problem.

EDIT: You've been using a RF adapter for the GameCube? Holy crap I'm sorry.

Smokey Bones said:
Has nothing to due with being 'rich'. You can get a 32'' HDTV from WAL MART for like $500-$600, and if you look around you can find some HD CRT's for cheaper than that. If you have a decent job that's not really a problem.

The "if you have a decent job" thing is so retarded. Yes, I could afford to spend $600 on a TV right now, but, shit! There goes a huge part of my gaming budget for the next year! Given that I only use the ****ing thing for playing games anyway that would be a totally moronic waste of money. Buying an SDTV would be an even bigger waste given that I already have one with good IQ and an S-video port.

I'm sure there are plenty of GAFfers with 50k+ white collar jobs and no kids for whom it's trivial to drop $600 on a TV without thinking about it, but there's a bunch of others who don't. I don't really harbor the delusion that people on GAF will understand things like "not everybody can or will have a high-paying job" in detail but if at least people can hold off on actually making the goofy statements about what others can afford to and should spend their money on this place would be a little less bad.

EDIT: You've been using a RF adapter for the GameCube? Holy crap I'm sorry.

Still doing it. I know that instead of being able to play Baten Kaitos Origins while my wife is using the PS2 on the good TV I should probably kill myself, but somehow I just don't have the guts to do it :-(

charlequin said:
The "if you have a decent job" thing is so retarded. Yes, I could afford to spend $600 on a TV right now, but, shit! There goes a huge part of my gaming budget for the next year! Given that I only use the ****ing thing for playing games anyway that would be a totally moronic waste of money. Buying an SDTV would be an even bigger waste given that I already have one with good IQ and an S-video port.

I'm sure there are plenty of GAFfers with 50k+ white collar jobs and no kids for whom it's trivial to drop $600 on a TV without thinking about it, but there's a bunch of others who don't. I don't really harbor the delusion that people on GAF will understand things like "not everybody can or will have a high-paying job" in detail but if at least people can hold off on actually making the goofy statements about what others can afford to and should spend their money on this place would be a little less bad.

Dude is so right. I only got my Toshiba when my TV died. Like literally exploded. I figured I could spend a little more and get a BRAND new TV, instead of picking up an ancient used one. Put in a sale and voila!, new Toshiba with component inputs!

I have very little money (as much as I keep drooling over plasmas).

Still doing it. I know that instead of being able to play Baten Kaitos Origins while my wife is using the PS2 on the good TV I should probably kill myself, but somehow I just don't have the guts to do it :-(

That sucks man. At least you HAVE two teles though. If my Toshiba died, I'd be ****ed.

Amir0x

Banned
man i need to buy you a new TV dragona. Even though you can use component, 14 inches is too small for anyone! No one deserves that :(

Amir0x said:
man i need to buy you a new TV dragona. Even though you can use component, 14 inches is too small for anyone! No one deserves that :(

Did I mention I sit 1.5m away from it because of the sound system I got for incredibly cheap?

LCGeek

formerly sane
Zaptruder said:
Fixed.

*HDMI also includes digital audio... which matters to the 3 people on GAF with HDMI recievers. The rest of us will either be stuck using optical toslink or god forbid, RCA.

Yes but it's a video discussion, besides the lesser formats are already getting their teeth kicked in.

How is it AV elitism to nudge gamers to a better form of video displays. It's sad that consoles are so far behind in these respects people are actually griping about wanting to stay with an antiquated format. How many of us on this forum would actually wanna use it in 480P worse yet 480i, getting the point now?

Amir0x

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Did I mention I sit 1.5m away from it because of the sound system I got for incredibly cheap?

does loon use binoculars when you're playing a game too? ;)

Seriously though, it seems this TV was affordable but we should start a Dragona fund and at least let you spring for a 32incher or something

Hatorade said:
Yes but it's a video discussion, besides the lesser formats are already getting their teeth kicked in.

How is it AV elitism to nudge gamers to a better form of video displays. It's sad that consoles are so far behind in these respects people are actually griping about wanting to stay with an antiquated format. How many of us on this forum would actually wanna use it in 480P worse yet 480i, getting the point now?

Buy me a plasma pls. This model would be suitable.

LCGeek

formerly sane
We could get her an hdtv easily under 600, wouldn't be big yet I think it would be more than what she has. I'd easily donate to something like this if it meant one person here would get the point.

M74

Mason said:
All that crap about "ANY TV WITHIN THE PAST 10 YEARS HAS COMPONENT, GOSH NINTENDO GET WITH IT" confuses me.
Interesting. My TV is only 2 years old, and all it has is composite and s-video.

rs7k

Amir0x said:

I used to play Dreamcast on a 13" Toshiba, and it's amazing how you can get used to small screen sizes. The 14" Toshiba she's got actually has very good picture quality. I was tempted to buy it when the speakers on my 13" blew out, but I decided to go for 27". I was amazed at how much sharpness you lose with a bigger SDTV, but then again you get used to it. I'm gaming in HD now :)

rs7k

M74 said:
Interesting. My TV is only 2 years old, and all it has is composite and s-video.

What brand do you have? If you buy some piece of shit SDTV at the local supermarket for $150, odds are you won't get much in the way of inputs.

Actually I did buy a POS SDTV at a supermarket once. It was $150 and it had component inputs. It was a 20" Apex, and it actually had amazing picture quality in S-Video (my first S-video experience). THe component input was horrible though.

X26

Banned
My gaming TV mas made in 1997 and only has composite, woe is me. Anyone have any composite-componite comparrison shots?

Kind of a side note but I also have a JVC i-Art that I don't use for gaming, I know it has component but I have no idea what the resolution is, how do I find out?

Top Bottom