• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok I'm a retard: Difference between A/V and Component?

Honestly, anyone purchasing a new SDTV should stick to Toshiba or Sony. They aren't exhorbiantly more expensive than the knockoffs, so there is no reason to do so.

I <3 my Tosh, and you will too!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Chû Totoro said:
fconnectorsm.jpg

istockphoto_1217885_s_video_cable.jpg

235px-RCA_Connector_(photo).jpg

g_45050026.jpg

vga.jpg

ps2-component_cable.jpg

DVI.jpg

hdmi-connector.jpg

Worst to best.

Good job on being completely and totally wrong. Anyone who thinks component is better than VGA is a moron.

Dragona Akehi said:
That sucks man. At least you HAVE two teles though. If my Toshiba died, I'd be ****ed.

We spent two years in our old house with a 20" TV and our PS2 and GC running on daisy chained RF cords. Brutal.

We're actually really happy now because we have the new 36" that we got in lieu of $150 in unpaid rent from our ex-roommate. The image is way, way better than anything we had before, so I definitely won't complain.

That ex-roommate is actually a really good example of what I was talking about before. Guy's parents died when he was in high school and he wound up in a pretty bad credit situation and dropping out of college for a while. He's doing everything right to get back on track now (rebuilding credit, working retail to put himself through school at UMass) but, like, according to GAF he doesn't deserve to play videogames in the interim because he's too poor. :-(

Xdrive05

S-video is about a million times better than composite, while component is about 1.3 million times better than composite. At least for SD. Running in HD would probably put component closer to two million times better.

Accurate measurements FTW.

evil ways

I've never gone past the regular old AV/composite realm, even though my 27" Panasonic has S-video. Maybe I'll make use of it when I get my PS3. I'm wondering, how much does a good set of S-video cables cost these days?

rs7k

evil ways said:
I've never gone past the regular old AV/composite realm, even though my 27" Panasonic has S-video. Maybe I'll make use of it when I get my PS3. I'm wondering, how much does a good set of S-video cables cost these days?

Not expensive at all. I'm using a Madcatz cable for PS2, which also has outputs for XB and GC. It was $15, and it's very good.

Johnny

26" Toshiba/Samsung CRT HDTVs go for $400US these days, HDMI and everything, anyone with a McJob can afford that.

Diablos

Meh, I'm not getting an HDTV until I can get my hands on a GOOD 32 or 36 inch LCD or Plasma (that does 1080p) for under $600. Which is gonna probably be a while. Everything decent is still at least $2000 or so.

Until then I'll have to live with my 27" Sony Wega with pinkish/purpleish streaks that can be seen on bright white/tan scenes or completely blue scenes <3

Smokey

charlequin said:
The "if you have a decent job" thing is so retarded. Yes, I could afford to spend $600 on a TV right now, but, shit! There goes a huge part of my gaming budget for the next year! Given that I only use the ****ing thing for playing games anyway that would be a totally moronic waste of money. Buying an SDTV would be an even bigger waste given that I already have one with good IQ and an S-video port.

I'm sure there are plenty of GAFfers with 50k+ white collar jobs and no kids for whom it's trivial to drop $600 on a TV without thinking about it, but there's a bunch of others who don't. I don't really harbor the delusion that people on GAF will understand things like "not everybody can or will have a high-paying job" in detail but if at least people can hold off on actually making the goofy statements about what others can afford to and should spend their money on this place would be a little less bad.

Still doing it. I know that instead of being able to play Baten Kaitos Origins while my wife is using the PS2 on the good TV I should probably kill myself, but somehow I just don't have the guts to do it :-(

:lol I'm a soph. in college, worked at grocery store and Ebgames as a 3rd key and managed to save up and buy me a Sony 30'' HDTV for $900. You tellin' me a GROCERY store and ebgames is white collar?:lol

All it takes is a little money management.

Smokey Bones said:
:lol I'm a soph. in college, worked at grocery store and Ebgames as a 3rd key and managed to save up and buy me a Sony 30'' HDTV for $900. You tellin' me a GROCERY store and ebgames is white collar?:lol

All it takes is a little money management.

Do you pay your own tuition? Your meal plan (or meals if you eat off campus)? Rent on an apartment? Electricity? Heat? Do you have a car? Are you paying insurance on it? How about loan payments? Do you ever charge anything to your parents' credit card? Do you live at home over the summer? I don't know what your circumstance was (so tell me if I'm off base here) but most of the time college kids have way more ability to make expenditures like that because they don't have any bills -- $7/hr goes a long way when it's all disposable.

I make way more money than I did in college but I also have a ****ton more actual monetary responsibilities. That means I need to balance my expenditures. That's life as an adult for you.

If you look back at my actual post, I could afford a $600 TV. But my budget is limited and given how much of my annual gaming spending $600 would be it's simply not worthwhile. Other people have less free income than I do, like my ex-roommate who's paying all the bills I mention above plus state school tuition (and who can't get a single full-time position because of classes.) It's just foolish to tell people what they can afford when you know jack about their actual situation, and it's extremely inaccurate to think that only people with huge disposable incomes are interested in gaming or want to talk about games.

Smokey

charlequin said:
Do you pay your own tuition? Your meal plan (or meals if you eat off campus)? Rent on an apartment? Electricity? Heat? Do you have a car? Are you paying insurance on it? How about loan payments? Do you ever charge anything to your parents' credit card? Do you live at home over the summer? I don't know what your circumstance was (so tell me if I'm off base here) but most of the time college kids have way more ability to make expenditures like that because they don't have any bills -- $7/hr goes a long way when it's all disposable.

I make way more money than I did in college but I also have a ****ton more actual monetary responsibilities. That means I need to balance my expenditures. That's life as an adult for you.

If you look back at my actual post, I could afford a $600 TV. But my budget is limited and given how much of my annual gaming spending $600 would be it's simply not worthwhile. Other people have less free income than I do, like my ex-roommate who's paying all the bills I mention above plus state school tuition (and who can't get a single full-time position because of classes.) It's just foolish to tell people what they can afford when you know jack about their actual situation, and it's extremely inaccurate to think that only people with huge disposable incomes are interested in gaming or want to talk about games.

True.

Yeah I do have a car but it's paid off but I did help with my car payment, pay for the cell phone, gas etc. etc. I was on loans for school but I paid about $1,000 out of pocket for my first year which is when I bought the TV.

I see what you're saying though, and everybodys situation is different.

Smokey Bones said:
I see what you're saying though, and everybodys situation is different.

Yeah. I don't mind that everyone has a better TV than I do. :D If you are smart/skilled/lucky/etc. enough to afford it and you're gonna enjoy it then great. And everybody really can afford $20 for new cables if they play games and their current TV accepts them.

Kal

Ok I have a question:

I have a 360(hooked to an SDTV) and I plan on getting a PS3. What ports should my future HDTV have to ensure I get the best picture from both consoles?

Kal said:
Ok I have a question:

I have a 360(hooked to an SDTV) and I plan on getting a PS3. What ports should my future HDTV have to ensure I get the best picture from both consoles?

You absolutely want to use HDMI to connect your PS3 (digital, allows 1080P movies, etc.) Normally I would say you'd want to get the VGA adapter to get the best possible picture (as mentioned upthread, VGA has all the benefits of component with potentially better color as well) but I understand there's something kinda wonky about the X360 VGA adapter in specific, so you may want to just stick with the packed-in component cables. And X360 doesn't support any sort of digital video out of course.

jakster4u said:
I have monster cable S-video cables from the PS2 and from what i have heard they should work on the PS3, is this true?

Yes.

Kal

charlequin said:
You absolutely want to use HDMI to connect your PS3 (digital, allows 1080P movies, etc.) Normally I would say you'd want to get the VGA adapter to get the best possible picture (as mentioned upthread, VGA has all the benefits of component with potentially better color as well) but I understand there's something kinda wonky about the X360 VGA adapter in specific, so you may want to just stick with the packed-in component cables. And X360 doesn't support any sort of digital video out of course.

(in reference to the cable chart) BNC - what the hell is this? It looks like an audio connector. Not a consumer connection

Its a SCART (thats how its written I'm not shouting) connector, very much the standard in the UK and if you spank down a few bones for a 24 carat coated one you can get a pretty decent picture out of it,

Good job on being completely and totally wrong. Anyone who thinks component is better than VGA is a moron.

Hi,

I know that the picture with VGA is pin sharp but there's some occasions when it just anhilates the colour and contrast when to be honest I'd much prefer those than knife sharp edges (on some occasions)

Edit:
but I understand there's something kinda wonky about the X360 VGA adapter in specific
You see maybe this is the reason why.

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
Edit:
You see maybe this is the reason why.

Yeah, like... on a pure cable comparison level, VGA is strictly better than component -- it's exactly the same color data provided in more detail. But there seems to have been some sort of weird gamma problem with the adapter in this case. Maybe someone who actually owns a 360 can provide more detail than I am managing here.

Thanks to this thread, I just picked up a RGB-SCART cable for my GameCube, and the difference between the quality of the picture I get from it and the quality from the basic AV cable I'd been using is ****ing incredible. Better colours, crisp lines, pin-sharp text... I've only tried it on one or two games so far, but even on something like XIII - hardly the most impressive 'Cube title out there - it just makes such a difference to the picture quality. Next up are Metroid Prime & F-Zero GX... :D

Cheers for the advice - best tenner I've spent on AV equipment in a looooong time!

PhoenixDark said:
Would it be possible to hook a Gamecube or PS2 up to a computer monitor?

I believe your best bet would be one of the variety of 3rd party PS2 and Gamecube -> VGA adapters (which Google would lead me to believe resale for the $10-$20 range), though telling you which one is "good" is beyond me since I haven't used them.

This thread is mainly composed of people saying that the few extra dollars for a high-end SDTV really make a difference and you should hold out. But then there are people saying "omg go get a 600 HDTV at Walmart" AKA bottom of the line. This completely contradicts the entire thread and no freaking way would I want to buy a bottom of the line HDTV just to get HD. It would be obsolete in no time.

For those who have not yet made the jump to HD, it's incredibly frustrating to even think about it. With SDTVs they are on their way out so there is a much smaller window for high-end. But HDTVs are all over the place and the market seems pretty unstable right now, making buying an HDTV a tough purchase.

EphemeralDream said:
This thread is mainly composed of people saying that the few extra dollars for a high-end SDTV really make a difference and you should hold out. But then there are people saying "omg go get a 600 HDTV at Walmart" AKA bottom of the line. This completely contradicts the entire thread and no freaking way would I want to buy a bottom of the line HDTV just to get HD. It would be obsolete in no time.

For those who have not yet made the jump to HD, it's incredibly frustrating to even think about it. With SDTVs they are on their way out so there is a much smaller window for high-end. But HDTVs are all over the place and the market seems pretty unstable right now, making buying an HDTV a tough purchase.

That's a flawed notion. Your older HDTV does not get all of the sudden "obsolete" because something new and better came out today. It still function as well as it did the day before. 1080p is gonna be a standard for a long long time so you don't have to worry about any new resolution standard. Also, buying a 720p set for cheap right now for nuder a grand is a great way to fill the time until 1080p sets becomes much cheaper and sport a much better technology is few years time.

In another words, jump into HD for cryin' out loud if you can afford between $500 and $1500! Don't worry about 1080p in that price range. As long as it can do 720p or 1080i, you are good to go for this whole HD business. The sweet spot right now is 720p rear projection DLP or LCD units for around 42" IMO (around $1200 or so)

Just get something with HDMI and VGA along with component and you are set for a quite a while with multitude of connection options.

Stitchy

Chû Totoro said:
fconnectorsm.jpg

istockphoto_1217885_s_video_cable.jpg

235px-RCA_Connector_(photo).jpg

g_45050026.jpg

vga.jpg

ps2-component_cable.jpg

DVI.jpg

hdmi-connector.jpg

Worst to best.

That bastard at Future Shop said that S-Video would look better than normal composite video, and conned me into buying an extra cable that cost me $30.

I'm going to bitch-slap that guy into unconsciousness, and write "Totoro owns my ass" on his forehead the next time I see him.

Thanks for helping me see the light, Totoro.

Saoh

Johnny said:
S-Video does look better than Composite.

duh. its been said on these 3 pages :p

i really want to buy a new TV, but right now i cant afford it. my old stupid Toshiba TV doesnt even have stereo :'( but i cant afford anything right now, im saving everything for the holiday season.

after the season is over and if i have some money left i might :)

Xdrive05

Saoh said:
i really want to buy a new TV, but right now i cant afford it. my old stupid Toshiba TV doesnt even have stereo

Wow, that really sucks. I have a 20" Symphonic in my garage that doesn't have stereo other. It doesn't even have composite input - you HAVE to use RF/coax. And I used it with my PS2 for probably two years or so.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Shogmaster said:
Because I had nothing better to do on Friday afternoon:

North American video-connections cheat sheet!

VideoConnections.png

Holy shit Shog, that's some mighty fine illustration right there, mang.

You write your text in comic-worthy caps, too...

Smokey

EphemeralDream said:

I still stand by my Wal*Mart comment. If you're on a budget with around $500 there is nothing wrong with those TVs. Ok so they won't be 1080p and yada yada yada but it's still a freakin' HDTV.

Hell Wal*Mart used to have a 30'' Sanyo HDTV CRT for like $300ish, and it came PACKED with features. I don't know if they carry them anymore. I looked on the website and couldn't find anything about them.

Stitchy said:
That bastard at Future Shop said that S-Video would look better than normal composite video, and conned me into buying an extra cable that cost me $30.

I'm going to bitch-slap that guy into unconsciousness, and write "Totoro owns my ass" on his forehead the next time I see him.

Thanks for helping me see the light, Totoro.

Please be sarcastic.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Is this a good TV choice?

I got it two years ago for around $700 Canadian on special at the time. It's only $450-500 U.S. now and games look very sharp and so do movies. My SDTV Toshiba doesn't even compare just watching cable you see a huge difference in resolution and no blurriness.

features:

-26-inch widescreen (16:9 aspect ratio) HD-compatible CRT television featuring CrystalScan HDSC upconversion to 1080i/540p
-FST PURE flat picture tube increases viewing angles, enhances picture linearity, and reduces light reflections
-HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) HDTV input gives you a pure, uncompressed video connection with your DTV receiver or set-top box
-3D Y/C digital comb filter with Vertical Contour Correction accurately processes RF and composite-video (DVD, VCR, camcorder) signals
-DFine high-speed velocity-scan modulation improves the definition at picture edges

B0001YI462.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1082410740_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-26HF84-HDTV-Ready-Flat-Screen/dp/tech-data/B0001YI462/ref=de_a_smtd/104-2314939-0353554?ie=UTF8

rs7k

MrToughPants said:
Is this a good TV choice?

I got it two years ago for around $700 Canadian on special at the time. It's only $450-500 U.S. now and games look very sharp and so do movies. My SDTV Toshiba doesn't even compare just watching cable you see a huge difference in resolution and no blurriness.

features:

B0001YI462.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1082410740_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-26HF84-HDTV-Ready-Flat-Screen/dp/tech-data/B0001YI462/ref=de_a_smtd/104-2314939-0353554?ie=UTF8

I have this TV. It's okay if you don't expect WEGA-tube quality. The text in Dead Rising is slightly easier to read on my 27" WEGA non-HD than on the Toshiba, but the picture in the Toshiba is still obviously in higher-res. Also, the games look much darker in HD, so expect to crank up the brightness and reduce the quality of the image a bit to make dark games playable. In other words, get a Sony CRT if you're going for an HD tube.

cvxfreak

I have the Samsung TV Microsoft uses to demonstrate the 360. It wasn't expensive (only $1200), it's small and the picture quality is awesome. Too bad it only has one component in though, since I plan on having a Wii, 360 and Japanese PStwo hooked up to it. The HDMI input is naturally going to be for the PS3.

I forget if it's been mentioned in this thread, but are component splitters a good idea? They're not that expensive, but I want to know any that don't mess with video quality.

cvxfreak said:
I have the Samsung TV Microsoft uses to demonstrate the 360. It wasn't expensive (only $1200), it's small and the picture quality is awesome. Too bad it only has one component in though, since I plan on having a Wii, 360 and Japanese PStwo hooked up to it. The HDMI input is naturally going to be for the PS3.

I forget if it's been mentioned in this thread, but are component splitters a good idea? They're not that expensive, but I want to know any that don't mess with video quality.

There are loads of component switch boxes out there now. The older Pelican System Selector Pro I have works like a charm and doesn't add any noise to the image at all. JoyTech makes a nice looking one and there are some simple switchers out there that do the job. Beware though, some makes out there are fuzz central and add all kinds of interferance. You shouldn't have to pay more than $150 now for one but I wouldn't pay less than $80.

mr jones said:
Holy shit Shog, that's some mighty fine illustration right there, mang.

You write your text in comic-worthy caps, too...

Thanks. Drawing digitally makes things much easier and faster. *hugs Tablet PC*

Powerslave said:
I have never ever seen a tv with a component input. Is this an America-only thing? Cause I live in Holland.

Yeah, I think it's North American standard. I'm not sure about Asia, but I don't think they use it over there either. I know Europe don't use it for sure.

I won this TV a couple years ago when I graduated high school. Yes, it's nothing special, they probably got it from Wal-Mart. It's a ****ing tv, I really don't care that much. And I know I'm not in the minority here. All my friends' tvs are just like mine.

-_-
It's not worthless just because you don't care about it. The difference between composite and component video is significant, especially on an HDTV.

Top Bottom