• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okami HD confirmed for North America/Europe as digital download $19.99/£15.99/€19.99

Aru

The game looks great in HD but it's exactly the same game than on PS2 gameplay/storywise. I don't have the time to replay it, so I'll wait for a sequel (no, Okamiden doesn't count !).

Perkel

Banned
What were u doing for 66hr?

Main campain is 50h, rest 16 was looking for hiden things like bosses and stuff. Still there were many things i couldn't find or discover.

If i had more time for Okami then it would be easly 75-80h

I do not use gamefaqs for games.

Eusis

I imagine because the source code is pretty much lost. Part of the reason the Wii version wasn't identical to the PS2 version (I refuse to say it was worse because ultimately, it wasn't) was because they had to rebuild large chunks of the game since Capcom lost so many of the original HDDs and workstations containing the original code.
That was less than 2 years after the game came out. It's probably much, much worse 4 years later.
Well, once they made Okami Wii maybe they went "Maybe it'd be a good idea to hold onto that!" and would've done a better job preserving what they have. Although Bluepoint apparently works backwards from final retail copies, so if they got them for this then I guess there's doing it that way.

54-46!

I don't think high definition will do the game much good given how muddy many of the textures are and how rough the models look.

IrishNinja

I imagine because the source code is pretty much lost. Part of the reason the Wii version wasn't identical to the PS2 version (I refuse to say it was worse because ultimately, it wasn't) was because they had to rebuild large chunks of the game since Capcom lost so many of the original HDDs and workstations containing the original code.
That was less than 2 years after the game came out. It's probably much, much worse 4 years later.

this still blows my mind - it's weird enough in the saturn era, how is source code lost today?

I'm also hoping for a cool XMB Dynamic Theme.

this too would be great.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
this still blows my mind - it's weird enough in the saturn era, how is source code lost today?

this too would be great.

Japanese developers in particular seem to be very, very prone to losing source code for games. Nintendo and Sony are two of the few companies that seem to actually archive their shit.

Theonik

In Japan it's getting a boxed release, so it should.
So tempted to import if this is the case...

Also hoping the port is good. RE HD was less than optimal, DMC HD was ok but there was a lot less to screw up in terms of effects filters etc. (it also could have used some new textures)
You know a Vita version would be pretty cool as well, brush strokes could map beautifully on the touch and back touch pads.

Terrell

Interesting to see that Capcom is willing to once again slap a new coat of makeup onto Clover Studio's corpse. It's kind of hard to justify what Capcom did to them when they KEEP RE-MAKING THEIR GAME.

Oh well.

ChryZ

I just watched the official trailer with tears of happiness in my eyes. I'm so glad this game lives on and on, can't wait to replay it.

I though the original looked wonderful - but that video really makes the HD version look great.

Definitely interested in this. Seems like Capcom are going to make it worth people's while. Surprised it's only being announced for one platform though.

Oh, and yes, Vita version would make so much sense.

shira

Love the price. Hope wiiU pricekateers are watching this.

Nobody is gonna buy your old ME and BAC for $60

Gonna buy three or four copies of this for various people. Such a beautiful game. Totally sold on this in HD. Most exciting game news in a while - and that's kinda depressing, really.

Morue

I still have my ps2 copy but I will get it anyway. One of my favourite games of all time and totally worth the price given the length...

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Interesting to see that Capcom is willing to once again slap a new coat of makeup onto Clover Studio's corpse. It's kind of hard to justify what Capcom did to them when they KEEP RE-MAKING THEIR GAME.

Oh well.

It is pretty hilarious, you've got Godhand on the PS3's PS2 Classics range, Okami HD, that tragic DS 'sequel' and then most of Marvel vs Capcom 3's new adds were all Clover/Kamiya created characters.

When Ono collapses out the door, and the DMC/Dragon's Dogma team get tired of eating shit, company is going to be left without any big names to carry it anymore.

Looking forward to this on my HDTV. Wii Port was an abomination because its not like you were getting a HD version to reason with the loss of filters and awful waggle, but I can be a bit more forgiving when you're going well beyond the game's intended resolution.

Theorymon

Hmmm I already have the PS2 and Wii versions... fuck it, as much as I hate how Capcom is leeching off of clover's corpse AGAIN, I can't resist an HD version of this so Ima have to triple dip!

EuroMIX

I'm happy with the Wii version to be honest. Weird how it feels like it always belonged on that console anyway even though it wasn't originally developed for it.

waiting for this in HD instead..

X8mP9.jpg

Oh fuck, that would be RAD.

Just got done watching the official trailer on YT...lol the PS2 version never looked that blurry
On a 1080p screen with composite cables it probably does. Maybe.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to finally playing this. It looks gorgeous and a faithful port of the PS2 visuals, unlike the Wii version.

Don

Looks great in that trailer.

I haven't played Okami since it first came out, but I still listen to the soundtrack quite a bit. Can't wait to go through it all again.

Dreavus

Might go for it.

I thought the Wii version would be the last we hear of it, but it appears that is not so! This game is due for a replay pretty soon in any case.

Daeda

At the end of the Playstation 2 era we got Okami.. at the end of the PS3 era we get Okami HD.. tells you all you need to know about this generation really ^^

May buy. Have only played it on a Wii mote..

Is it known yet if the visuals will retain the "art canvas" filter the PS2 version had, or if it's going to be a quick port of the crappy Wii version?

Also I assume there's no Xbox 360 version on the horizon. Or they're waiting on that announcement. Or not.

Anteater

Is it known yet if the visuals will retain the "art canvas" filter the PS2 version had, or if it's going to be a quick port of the crappy Wii version?

Also I assume there's no Xbox 360 version on the horizon. Or they're waiting on that announcement. Or not.

It looks like the canvas texture/filter thing is still there judging from the video:

Yeah no worries. The shitty YT compression hides such small details but when you get to the PS3 vs PS2 parts, where the original image is scaled up, you can clearly see the filter is there.

3Uq8r.jpg

No way the PS2 version looked like that :D

I heard Okami had low sales on at least the PS2. While I don't know how much it sold, am I the only one thinking this will sell way, way more as a 15$ digital product?

Why wasn't this announced at the Sony E3 conference? It would have been a great little surprise, "oh yeah, and Okami HD will be out in a couple of months".

I'll probably buy it during a sale or something, I know I'd just get it and stop playing after a couple of hours.

Suairyu

Banned
Why wasn't this announced at the Sony E3 conference? It would have been a great little surprise, "oh yeah, and Okami HD will be out in a couple of months".
It still amazes me that people think obscure game x should take up precious E3 conference time. Microsoft's conference may have been a confused mess, but SONY's was pitch-perfect considering all the mainstream coverage they're getting over things like Wonderbook.

Top Bottom