• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old VHS artwork for movies was amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Downhome

Anyone else here have great memories of walking through the old movie stores back in the days of VHS and just enjoying the artwork? More specifically the artwork on the horror and sci-fi titles. Sure, every now and then you will find a nice DVD or Blu-ray cover, but for the most part the best days for this sort of thing were the VHS covers. Heck, some of the covers on the old horror titles were so freaky that I was scared of just the covers when I was really little and it was like testing fate just walking up close to them.

Thank God for things like Scream Factory where they have new artwork, and then on the other side of the covers they have the original artwork. I make it a point to at least buy all of the Collector's Editions of those titles just to support them doing so.

80teHpQ.gif

Here is what brought this back to mind for me. I was in a local Goodwill store the other day and found the hard to find VHS for R.O.T.O.R., a weird and horrible Terminator/Robocop mashup. Anyone else remember this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJV3qFsaozE

Just look at this cover...

tpDCyGt.jpg

jond76

Banned
When it came to 80's Sci-fi, the box art was always waaaay more ambitious than the actual movie turned out to be.

I have that R.O.T.O.R. poster on my bedroom wall.

Never watched the movie as it's very hard to find, and I don't particularly care to see it based on YouTube clips. I just know that its cover is one of the most badass things I've ever seen.

Some are terrible, some are great. Just like always.

Nah. The good-to-bad ratio truly is worse nowadays.

original painted artwork > cheap photoshop collages

You should watch Rewind This. The documentary touches upon VHS box art and how it sometimes lured movie renters/buyers kinda like how LP artwork did.

Same logic with Drew Struzan poster artwork (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, ET and many others)

There's some appreciation for artwork in there over stupid photoshopped heads.

dsp

I can remember going through the isles of horror tapes as a kid and being, well, horrified by the artwork. Almost none of the movies lived up to the artwork, but it was still awesome.

s_mirage

I do miss the VHS days when I was really young, pre-internet (for me anyway), where the only things to help you decide which film you were going to rent were the cover art and the box blurb.

Zaph

Our old black cat jumped from behind the curtains onto my shoulder during the tense barn scene in Critters.

Pretty sure I shat myself, but my mum and sister couldn't stop laughing for about 15 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom