• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Older Disney Animation Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

kess

lol

disc3-buckaroo.jpg

HeelPower

I want to watch beautiful 2D art in the theater.

The last time I watched 2D in theater it was Tarzan ,and I can't remember the experience because I was so young!

mrkgoo

I wasn't expecting Tarzan to be the example for "older" Disney animation, but as a huge fan of Tarzan, I approve the recognition.

I have the giant collector's edition hardback book with tons of drawings and stuff from Tarzan. It's a really under-appreciated Disney animated feature in my opinion.

Looks incredible and, at the time, i often used the DVD as a reference for image quality when setting up my home theatres. Like, how good does my Tarzan look on this setup?

I should get an HD version.

Loxley

I own the Tarzan Chronicles art book, which is amazing. It cost me a good $60 (since it's been out of print for a decade) but it was definitely worth it. Here's a page from it that I really like:

rezuth

Started rewatching old disney movies today and I gotta say the art and animation of Atlantis: The Lost Empire is amazing.

As someone who is a big fan of Keane and Disney, I find 90s Disney to be pretty overrated.

It's not that some of the films weren't great, they were, but they went more towards this staged, "movie-ish" thing. I don't know why it's so hard to craft an original story or deviate from the same schtick you've done a thousand times. This criticism is more vague than intended but I stand behind it.

Rlan

While ultimately the 2D film scene has dried up, I would say that the 2D TV scene has never been in a better spot.

Shows like Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Regular Show etc are a dream for the teams behind them - being incredibly creator driven with bizaarre or out there premises and art styles.

It's funny how you can see Disney being caught off guard by the success of The Little Mermaid when watching it. It looks insanely cheap next to the ones that followed like Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King. Oddly, its budget was quite high compared to those.

The Lion King was a B-project. Their A-Team with the better budget was working on Pocahontas at the time.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Lmfao that couldn't have been made to be anything other than a joke right? There's multiple distinct reasons why simpler styles and character designs are the norm in western animation. Less is more philosophy=easier for the audience to remember the character design, easier to animate so that the end result looks better being two of the biggest reasons. Anime has some shit tier animation more often than not, and not so coincidentally, the most memorable ones don't use insanely detailed designs.

Poona

They were developing Frozen as a 2D animated feature, then Princess and the Frog and Winnie the Pooh bombed so that pretty much sealed 2D's fate at Disney.

I often wonder if Frozen had come out in 2D before Princess and the Frog, if it would have been as successful as Frozen is now, and if it would have brought back a 2D renaissance.

Wasn't that Tangled? Or was Frozen really in the works before Tangled and Wreck it Ralph?

Trickster

Lmfao that couldn't have been made to be anything other than a joke right? There's multiple distinct reasons why simpler styles and character designs are the norm in western animation. Less is more philosophy=easier for the audience to remember the character design, easier to animate so that the end result looks better being two of the biggest reasons. Anime has some shit tier animation more often than not, and not so coincidentally, the most memorable ones don't use insanely detailed designs.

Regarding your comment about anime often having shit tier animation. I agree that the anime tv series often have horrible animation.

However, from my understanding, that has more to do with the budgets for anime in general being much much lower than their western/american counterparts, rather than it being because there is more detail present in japanese animation. Even the absolute top of the pop level of anime like Spirited Away only had a budget of 19 million dollars. While a movie like Lilo and Stich had a budget of 80 million.

They were developing Frozen as a 2D animated feature, then Princess and the Frog and Winnie the Pooh bombed so that pretty much sealed 2D's fate at Disney.

I often wonder if Frozen had come out in 2D before Princess and the Frog, if it would have been as successful as Frozen is now, and if it would have brought back a 2D renaissance.

No, it was Tangleds SUCCESS that sealed it. Frozen was still being trumpeted as Disney's proof that they were committed to pumping out a 2D film every other odd year .... then Tangled pulled a ...
large.gif

Then they forgot about that shit they promised and went for the 3D promise land after making their first "Disney Styled" hit in 3D ...
They also wanted to go the "boy route" with 3D which is why we got WiR (and maybe bh6?) ... but then Frozen pulled a ..
7Hpw7I6.gif

And now they're likely tripping over themselves to find a way to capitalize on this musical/ frozen phenomenon when they already have their next w/e years of movies deep deeeep in production (one being about a Fox and a Rabbit I think ... and one about a Hawaiian Princess/ girl? )

Honestly Tarzan feels like it doesn't get the recognition it deserves among Disney's 2D greats. Phil Collins work on the soundtrack was phenomenal.
It probably won't ever because, last I checked, Disney no longer possesses the rights, and therefore can't do anything with the property. It's also why Deep Jungle (based on Tarzan) has never, nor will ever appear in another Kingdom Hearts game (not like it's a loss in that respect, since it's one of my least favorite worlds in the franchise).
Still blows my mind that Mike Mignola (Hellboy) worked on Atlantis.
I've been reading the Hellboy Library Editions for the past year or so now, and I can definitely see the similarities. I love his style.
hellboy_wtd_yum.jpg

hellboy-strange-places003.png

mignola-sequence-625x908.jpg

Crossing Eden

Regarding your comment about anime often having shit tier animation. I agree that the anime tv series often have horrible animation.

However, from my understanding, that has more to do with the budgets for anime in general being much much lower than their western/american counterparts, rather than it being because there is more detail present in japanese animation. Even the absolute top of the pop level of anime like Spirited Away only had a budget of 19 million dollars. While a movie like Lilo and Stich had a budget of 80 million.
Budget is a big part of it, also the fact that they seem to value quantity over quality.
"People will never be tired of 2D animation."

Jesus Christ this film.
With the success of many recent CG films I don't think we're anywhere near close to seeing a crash in the market. And 2D animation has been doing great, at least on CN with all those amazing shows.

Vice

Don Bluth strikes me as the sort of brilliant visionary who needs a leash on him. For every great idea he has there are five terrible ones.

Princess and the Frog didn't kill 2D animation, John Lasseter did.
Winnie The Pooh (2011) being a massive box-office brick and Tangled being huge despite its budget woes sealed the deal for John.

I'll never buy the statement that 2D animation dwindled because of CGI animation. It dwindled because the majority of CGI animated movies made starting in the late 90s had better stories, characters, and execution. There were perfectly good 2D films too, but on the whole they were inferior. Then some executives took a look at the data and determined that the CGI movies were making more money than the 2D ones and assumed it was because people loved the technology, instead of contemplating that maybe they were just better films. And then Princess and the Frog was merely okay, and Winnie went up against Harry Potter. How could anyone expect those movies to be smash hits? But nope, it must be because nobody likes 2D animation anymore.

Also, just rewatched Fantasia the other day. That movie is still one of the best-looking things I've ever seen.

nOoblet16

http://i6.minus.com/i0j5XpMmQkvC4.jpg
This is such a fail.
Some of the western animation and especially Disney animation is leagues beyond Anime animation. Animes can never compare in terms of animation fluidity since they use far fewer frames for animations than something like Sleeping Beauty.

Also when it comes to shading, this picture overlooks the fact that the background in western animation is very detailed while in anime it isn't as detailed since the bulk of the time is spent on character's faces.

Did Glen Keane bail out of Disney because frozen was not made in 2D?

He left after Tangled because he's getting old and wants to spend the rest of his time making his own stories and experimenting with all the wonder and glory that is 2D.

Apparently his vision for the story was VERY different (It was Darker. Rapunzel would have had mental problems as a direct affect of being raised in isolation with her mother being the only person she had ever seen ... and that makes fucktons more sense then her just being some amazingly social butterfly as she turned out to be. The guy was gonna be shy and have lil confidence ... and at first is was gonna be 2D).

Regardless, there was fuckery afoot at Disney regarding 2D and he just wants to spend his time making what he wants to make.

KooopaKid

Banned

It's coming back I think. Disney is trying to nail the 2D look in 3D.

_John-Kahrs-paperman-walt-disney-yatzer-9.jpg

feast-post.jpg

Crossing Eden

There's a lot more personality in these gifs than in the 3D models... :-\
The whole point of those tests is so that the animators would know what to go for and how the characters should be animated. And they captured it wonderfully. It's literally just the 2D style captured in 3D.

tumblr_ngdf9oONe21s3h1d3o3_500.gif

tumblr_ljvedcIR1x1qahqkio1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom