• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

789shadow

Banned
I don't know man. I just don't see that happening. I guess we will just have to wait and see. Anyways the poneglyph was supposed to say where the weapon was right? The poneglyph on alabasta. So robin probably knows where it is right? She withholds so much important information I swear.
It's not like anyone else in the crew gives a shit.

rouken

I don't know man. I just don't see that happening. I guess we will just have to wait and see. Anyways the poneglyph was supposed to say where the weapon was right? The poneglyph on alabasta. So robin probably knows where it is right? She withholds so much important information I swear.

Also I love/hate that she wasn't telling what happened with her time with the revolutionaries. Robin why do you do this?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Edit: Oh crap I just remembered that Franky saw the blue prints for pluton. So he knows exactly what kind of warship it is and what makes it so dangerous. We have so much important info and the strawhats in the know just keep quiet haha. Anyways I just thought of something. If pluton is a big warship on alabasta, how was it not discovered by now? Where does one hide a warship? How does one hide a warship? A ship isn't likely to be laying in the desert somewhere. I guess that could be possible. A much more likey location is at the bottom of the ocean near alabasta. We know that you can coat ships now. Ships can go underwater in One Piece. What location around alabasa could be better? Its already in the water ready to go. Plus its impossible to find unless you know the location already. Well impossible until someone decides to randomly take a submarine there for deep sea exploration purposes.
Information in OP is always very divided between the characters and the viewer. Most of the flashbacks we see aren't known among the Straw Hats - Luffy/Ace/Sabo, Franky's past in Tom's Workers, Sanji's time on the island with Zeff, etc. We saw them, when most of the Straw Hats have no clue about them. It's also, like you said, true on the other side of the spectrum. Most of them already knew who Dragon was when Garp mentioned his name, whereas we only knew that he was some guy who stopped Smoker back at Logue Town at that point. Sanji knew about Norland before we did. Robin knows a ton of stuff that we don't, I'm sure.

Edit: Oh crap I just remembered that Franky saw the blue prints for pluton. So he knows exactly what kind of warship it is and what makes it so dangerous. We have so much important info and the strawhats in the know just keep quiet haha. Anyways I just thought of something. If pluton is a big warship on alabasta, how was it not discovered by now? Where does one hide a warship? How does one hide a warship? A ship isn't likely to be laying in the desert somewhere. I guess that could be possible. A much more likey location is at the bottom of the ocean near alabasta. We know that you can coat ships now. Ships can go underwater in One Piece. What location around alabasa could be better? Its already in the water ready to go. Plus its impossible to find unless you know the location already. Well impossible until someone decides to randomly take a submarine there for deep sea exploration purposes.

Ships also go into clouds and Enel even took his ship to the moon where he found robots and space pirates. It's perfectly possible that Pluton is in orbit over Alabaster. The world of One Piece could also be hollow and it could be underneath bedrock.

It also seems like a fair guess that Vivi could be the key to activating it somehow.

The Straw Hats don't care about finding Pluton because they don't want to destroy the world.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
"I’ve made lots of One Piece games. Right now, I would like to make a fighting game that puts all of the Devil Fruit abilities and Haki in the spotlight. If I could make a fighting game, I would want it to capture the flashiness of the Devil Fruit abilities like how [Admiral] Aokiji uses ice and can create it at will," Nakajima said when I asked him what kind of One Piece game he would personally like to create.

Siliconera interview

A modern OP fighter would be great.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I only said nakama to differentiate from allies, I didn't think "comrade" or "friend" would make my comparison clear. Get over it dudes.

KtSlime

I mean, come on. Srsly guise. "Nakama" is not a magical moonspeak word with connotations so cosmic it CANNOT BE TRANSLATED

No language can truly be translated into another, as they aren't simply the same word using different sounds. Whenever you attempt to do so you are always inventing or deleting information. It is up the convention and the translator however to determine what information must be inferred and which can safely be expunged.

I only said nakama to differentiate from allies, I didn't think "comrade" or "friend" would make my comparison clear. Get over it dudes.

I think comrade would probably be a fairly safe translation, but not friend, as it is way too vague, Coby is clearly a friend, but is not a 'nakama'.

I think that sometimes words with fairly similar analogs do get venerated when they ought not have been (for instance keikaku). But this is a thread with One Piece enthusiasts, who likely know the meaning of 'nakama'. To use the word is to eliminate potential misunderstandings with similar vague concepts. To completely avoid it is to question the understanding of the listener (reader). Choosing which words to use should be based on who you are communicating with.

Besides, what's so wrong with adopting a new word into English, especially one that already is fairly well understood, and serves a purpose in differentiating between types of relationships. When someone says 'samurai' would you stop them and say 'actually, Japanese isn't some magical language, you should just use the word warrior instead'.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm usually against nakama, I just thought it made sense to use in that first post. It's even in quotes to emphasize that I'm using it as a specific term.

I think "comrade" is the best english translation, but it's got way too much "red menace" connotation in America I think. I can't really say comrade without imagining it coming out of a huge russian beard.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Logia type would be cool....only one I could think of at the moment that would join the Straw Hat crew is Sabo, but he has duties with the Revolutionaries though.
Sabo is stronger than the Monster Trio, he will never join the Strawhats since it would destroy the hierarchy.

todd360

Ships also go into clouds and Enel even took his ship to the moon where he found robots and space pirates. It's perfectly possible that Pluton is in orbit over Alabaster. The world of One Piece could also be hollow and it could be underneath bedrock.

It also seems like a fair guess that Vivi could be the key to activating it somehow.

The Straw Hats don't care about finding Pluton because they don't want to destroy the world.

Oh yeah good point. I feel like it would be easier to retrieve it from underwater though. I mean even the strawhats have a submarine. How would we pull a ship in orbit back down to the planet? Unless this ship is so high tech it's actually a space ship and not just a boat. Maybe there's a remote control to tell it to fly back down. Then again Enels ship just had the ability to fly, but was somehow good enough to go through space to a moon.

Oh yeah good point. I feel like it would be easier to retrieve it from underwater though. I mean even the strawhats have a submarine. How would we pull a ship in orbit back down to the planet? Unless this ship is so high tech it's actually a space ship and not just a boat. Maybe there's a remote control to tell it to fly back down. Then again Enels ship just had the ability to fly, but was somehow good enough to go through space to a moon.

As for the spaceship thing there is the theme of the world nobles where they call themselves "celestial" dragons and wear a costume that is a lot like a space suit. But Shirahoshi and Vivi are both descendants of the original world nobles who refused to join the current world government. The poneglyphs talk about the events, people and weapons from the lost century but the ancient weapons themselves may have been ancient at the time of the lost century.

Noah was the giant wooden lost century ship built to be pulled by sea kings but the power to control sea kings that the boat uses is probably older.

Korosenai

Anyone else in this thread order Unlimited World Red yet? Which version did you decide to get? I went 3ds since its originally a 3ds game and i just generally like my 3ds more than my vits.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Anyone else in this thread order Unlimited World Red yet? Which version did you decide to get? I went 3ds since its originally a 3ds game and i just generally like my 3ds more than my vits.

I ordered the 3DS and Vita versions. The latter just to have it since it will be rare (I don't even have a Vita).
I'll get the PS3 version down the road.
No plans for the Wii U version unless they release it in retail.

Oh man, the nakama argument over here. Always a fun one. KF made a mistake keeping it and that's that. Some people sadly love it, others know that it's translatable to a degree.

Protag

Banned
I gotta say, i love the merry go ram's head on the front of the ship. I always did, always thought it was really charming and...cute

Doubt it tbh. Would be cool if he's the one that kicks Shanks off his spot though similar to how BB took WB's spot.

well before that he has to fight Big Mom. Which will probably be after dressrosa. Honestly i wouldnt be surprised if they show up right after luffy defeats Doflamingo.

Frog-fu

Banned
well before that he has to fight Big Mom. Which will probably be after dressrosa. Honestly i wouldnt be surprised if they show up right after luffy defeats Doflamingo.

Something tells me the Kaidō fight might actually happen before that. If it's Big Mom, I think she ends up being Lola's (Thriller Bark Arc) mother and they work it all out.

789shadow

Banned
The "Big Mom is Lola's mother" theory just will not die. It was pretty much debunked the second Big Mom was revealed to be unambiguously villainous.

Korosenai

Something tells me the Kaidō fight might actually happen before that. If it's Big Mom, I think she ends up being Lola's (Thriller Bark Arc) mother and they work it all out.

The "Big Mom is Lola's mother" theory just will not die. It was pretty much debunked the second Big Mom was revealed to be unambiguously villainous.
What Shadow said. Shes evil. She will destroy an entire island for candy, and she was so hungry the first time we see her that she eats her subordinate. Theres no way shes going to end up being a good guy.

Grudy

My theory is that Kaido and big mom will end up battling each other somehow, with the supernovas taking this chance to finish them off and take their territories.

Jigolo

Wait a sec, whatever happened to that Big Mom ship headed to Dressrosa? I feel like there is a void in my brain.

i was waiting for this thread, nice OP :)

I'm so excited for Law's past now, it seemed fucking disturbing, and i wonder how "Corazon" will hold up as a character. Guessing a strong willed, rightful person unlike his brother.

It'll be difficult to top Kyros' flashback. That one just killed me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom