• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

PK Gaming

Hi.

(possibly infringing on copyright)

PS: Luffy vs Rob Lucci is my favorite One Piece fight... in fact its my favorite fucking fight in ALL of anime. I personally think its the perfect fight, the fight that set the STANDARD for modern day shonen fights. To tired to give a long drawn out reason why, but its just... urgh so good.

EDIT: i'm infringing on copyright?

Hi.

(possibly infringing on copyright)

PS: Luffy vs Rob Lucci is my favorite One Piece fight... in fact its my favorite fucking in ALL of anime. I personally think its the perfect fight, the fight that set the STANDARD for modern day shonen fights. To tired to give a long drawn out reason why, but its just... urgh so good.

EDIT: i'm infringing on copyright?

so that's what they were doing *giggles*

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting how they added all that stuff with the other Straw Hats.

Annoying how many known character names Toei spells wrong, between Jinbe and now Hody Jones.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I've been out of the DVD loop for a while now but I just learned that Season 2 Volume 5 (Episodes 104-116) is out of print and demanding obscene prices. Why the hell hasn't Funimation reprinted it?
I should probably get all the DVDs now (including the collections just to keep supporting them) even though I'll have a hole in my collection. Maybe with Season 4 coming, Funi will reprint all the DVDs.

I've been out of the DVD loop for a while now but I just learned that Season 2 Volume 5 (Episodes 104-116) is out of print and demanding obscene prices. Why the hell hasn't Funimation reprinted it?
I should probably get all the DVDs now (including the collections just to keep supporting them) even though I'll have a hole in my collection. Maybe with Season 4 coming, Funi will reprint all the DVDs.

The Collection set that will includes those episodes, will be out in March if I recall. Ive been waiting for months to find that volume but then realized they were bringing the collections out fast. A shame it will now look awkward in my dvd stack.

so...is this anime worth starting? it seems like such a daunting task to trudge through so many episodes.

If you know which is filler and skip the OPs/EDs/5 minute intros (these come up a lot later on), it's only like 120 hours. That's like a long JRPG. Completely doable. And don't worry about getting caught up if you're enjoying it. You'll get there eventually.

Ferga

so...is this anime worth starting? it seems like such a daunting task to trudge through so many episodes.

I skipped through all the fillers with a episode guide thing and it only took me about a month to get to the latest episodes. It started off slow but it just picks up and i got pretty addicted to watching it.

If you know which is filler and skip the OPs/EDs/5 minute intros (these come up a lot later on), it's only like 120 hours. That's like a long JRPG. Completely doable. And don't worry about getting caught up if you're enjoying it. You'll get there eventually.

Such a waste with the 5 min intros.

Sweet Athena's ass yes.

Thing about the show is it sinks its teeth into you really quick, and never let's go.

This show is not this popular because of the plot, fights, or animation style (though all are well done). It's because of the characters, and how they play off of each other so damn well.

Each of the main characters has a well defined way of how he/she acts around another, and it creates some wonderful character-based humor that never gets old, and often gets you through the most meaningless filler without you realizing it.

I wonder if that new PS3 game can work as some sort of recap (if the story actually covers all the most important stuff). It may actually cover the story up to the timeskip and the scenes they showed we're pretty close to the anime (e.g. Arlong fight).

However, you should actually feel lucky. You can't know it yet, but you have like half a thousand episodes of progressing awesomeness waiting for you. Unlike many of us you can watch as much as you like per day, don't have to wait for cliffhangers etc.

Uchip

Banned
Sweet Athena's ass yes.

Thing about the show is it sinks its teeth into you really quick, and never let's go.

This show is not this popular because of the plot, fights, or animation style (though all are well done). It's because of the characters, and how they play off of each other so damn well.

Each of the main characters has a well defined way of how he/she acts around another, and it creates some wonderful character-based humor that never gets old, and often gets you through the most meaningless filler without you realizing it.

that pretty much sums it up
though some of the movies/specials are good on every front
every main character is likeable which I cant say for any other anime

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am hoarding all the episodes I can so I can watch 20+ of them so I don't notice the awful awful pacing haha

You might as well start, waiting will only add up more episodes. I can only imagine what one would say when we get five years from now or even ten years as One Piece draws to the closing and there are 1199 episodes one would have to trudge through :D

So, I used to think this show looks terrible. I still think it looks terrible. But I've heard so many good things about it....surely so many can't be wrong? So I'll be starting it in the coming month and I have just one question: English or Japanese audio?

So, I used to think this show looks terrible. I still think it looks terrible. But I've heard so many good things about it....surely so many can't be wrong? So I'll be starting it in the coming month and I have just one question: English or Japanese audio?

If you're ready to commit to the 500+ episode available, you don't really have much of a choice unless you plan to wait a while. Something like 200 episodes are available dubbed, so you can always do that and switch over, but it might be too weird. Would definitely be hard to get used to for me.

Also, AVOID the 4kids dub at all costs.

I guess that answers that. I don't want to fall in love with the show, get 200 in and be stuck for who knows how long waiting for more---so Japanese it is. Thank you much.

Cwarrior

Subbed is the only way to go, funi dub aren't bad but the japanese va is so good with awesome sounding villians.

Firestorm

Keep in mind that some (me included) find the first 20 or so episodes to be pretty slow.

Well One Piece itself is awesome, but I know that in some episodes, particularly the last few seasons, can kinda go over board with the cheesy stuff. Other than that, it's freakin great.

Well One Piece itself is awesome, but I know that in some episodes, particularly the last few seasons, can kinda go over board with the cheesy stuff. Other than that, it's freakin great.
Keep in mind that some (me included) find the first 20 or so episodes to be pretty slow.
I love Bleach, Naruto and Dragon Ball Z, so I'm not too picky. It'll be about 2 weeks before I start, so I'll be around here after to throw my thoughts around.

batbeg

I just started watching this since it's a meaty series I can just catch on the site, and I'm really enjoying it by 5. This makes me more excited.

I'd watched the 4Kids dub for a couple episodes years ago and just found out yesterday I wouldn't have to suffer that atrocity.

English dub for me by the way, I'll just switch over when I eventually catch up.

The 4Kids opening was so catchy though. Curious why 4kids thought to pick it up if they werent going to do the whole anime, then again they still pick up and dont finish many anime (many yugioh's for example)

Top Bottom