• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
For DVD buyers, One Piece Collection 4 (episodes 79-103) is out at the end of the month. I'm looking forward to Collection 5 as it has the episodes from the out of print S2V5. I'm not paying $150 dollars for a 13 episode set.

12 Episodes in. Show has me intrigued...like people said, these first episodes are a little slow, but I'm fine with it because they feel like the prologue to something bigger. I'm surprised at how much I'm liking some of these characters too. From the random glances of the show I've gotten here and there, Luffy and Zoro didn't do much for me, but I'm digging them so far. Other random thoughts...I'm eager to see how the show grows/evolves. I'm hoping some real villains will show themselves, and there will be some good serious moments. It's always fun to watch a show in rapid fire like this---I love to see how the animation, the character illustrations themselves and the music changes as time goes on. Watching episode 1 of Bleach and jumping to 300, or Naruto, or any other long show...like you're watching two different shows. I assume I can look forward to an evolution in One Piece of some-sort as well?

Also, the song "Overtaken" is great. That shit gets you pumped. Rambling over. Hitting episode 13.

12 Episodes in. Show has me intrigued...like people said, these first episodes are a little slow, but I'm fine with it because they feel like the prologue to something bigger. I'm surprised at how much I'm liking some of these characters too. From the random glances of the show I've gotten here and there, Luffy and Zoro didn't do much for me, but I'm digging them so far. Other random thoughts...I'm eager to see how the show grows/evolves. I'm hoping some real villains will show themselves, and there will be some good serious moments. It's always fun to watch a show in rapid fire like this---I love to see how the animation, the character illustrations themselves and the music changes as time goes on. Watching episode 1 of Bleach and jumping to 300, or Naruto, or any other long show...like you're watching two different shows. I assume I can look forward to an evolution in One Piece of some-sort as well?

Also, the song "Overtaken" is great. That shit gets you pumped. Rambling over. Hitting episode 13.

Absolutely. You will see some very intimidating villains that make Buggy look like a .....bug and some serious moments that will make your jaw drop. If you're already intrigued, I say you have nothing to worry about.

For DVD buyers, One Piece Collection 4 (episodes 79-103) is out at the end of the month. I'm looking forward to Collection 5 as it has the episodes from the out of print S2V5. I'm not paying $150 dollars for a 13 episode set.

March right? Ill have to rewatch the entire beginning of Alabasta since its been at least five mnths since I stopped at that point, I think. Pretty hyped about it.

-
looking at that post counter, didnt realize I made so many posts in this thread

BatDan

March right? Ill have to rewatch the entire beginning of Alabasta since its been at least five mnths since I stopped at that point, I think. Pretty hyped about it.

-
looking at that post counter, didnt realize I made so many posts in this thread

March sounds right. It should cover 104-130 (the rest of Alabasta).
Collection 6 should cover the 13 episode filler stretch (it's telling when 13 episodes is the longest filler has ever gone in this show) and the beginning of Skypiea. Collection 7 & 8 will contain the rest of the series so far. Season 4 is said to start coming out in the summer.

BatDan

Is there any legal way to watch the show online?

Funimation's website and Hulu have it up in both subtitles and dubbed. Not every episode is available though.

EDIT: Bah, stealth edit...
I don't have any answers for people outside of North America. Sorry.

Firestorm

My friend texted me at one point saying "I wouldn't have started this if I'd known it was so fucking sad" after I finally got him to give One Piece a go :(

I'm liking what I'm hearing, and still enjoying the show, but I'm very busy on just about most days. Therefore, I'm intending to try and skip the fillers for the show unless someone recommends a filler arc as particularly good. Anyone know where I can find an episode list for the fillers so I can hop over?

I'm liking what I'm hearing, and still enjoying the show, but I'm very busy on just about most days. Therefore, I'm intending to try and skip the fillers for the show unless someone recommends a filler arc as particularly good. Anyone know where I can find an episode list for the fillers so I can hop over?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31464922&postcount=4354

I'd honestly recommend just skipping all filler. Some are entertaining enough, but when you're tackling a 500+ episode series, it's not necessary.

they need to recruit a merman

Mmm... I dunno. I feel like the crew is getting too big as it is. I'd honestly prefer they recruit no one. I want the lion's share of the fight scenes limited to the monster trio (Usopp is pretty funny, though). Another girl might be interesting, however.

Uchip

Banned
Mmm... I dunno. I feel like the crew is getting too big as it is. I'd honestly prefer they recruit no one. I want the lion's share of the fight scenes limited to the monster trio (Usopp is pretty funny, though). Another girl might be interesting, however.

if they got Jinbei to join they would be unstoppable
to the point where it would be boring

if they got Jinbei to join they would be unstoppable
to the point where it would be boring

Right? They don't need a damn lord of sea to join their crew. Their inherent charm is that they're newbies and are out to conquer what was once the domain of the old generation. :(

Uchip

Banned
Right? They don't need a damn lord of sea to join their crew. Their inherent charm is that they're newbies and are out to conquer what was once the domain of the old generation. :(

I dunno, theyre hardly newbies anymore
and theyre up against some pretty overpowered baddies :p

Wiseblade

But they're young and fresh and not established yet. All up-and-comers ready to take out the old guard. I like that theme.

There's nothing young or fresh about Brook.

But really I think Jimbei would be a good addition to the crew. Recent episodes only highlight how badly they need another person to rescue drowning DF users and a fishaman would be perfect for the job. I doubt he'd break into the monster trio either, probably being more comparable to Franky in terms of power. His talents as a helmsman wouldn't go amiss either.

But really I think Jimbei would be a good addition to the crew. Recent episodes only highlight how badly they need another person to rescue drowning DF users and a fishaman would be perfect for the job. I doubt he'd break into the monster trio either, probably being more comparable to Franky in terms of power. His talents as a helmsman wouldn't go amiss either.

Brook is definitely not 'fresh' except in terms of his role in the new world. He was out in the middle of nowhere for decades so he never played a role in the current scene, so in sense he's as green as the rest of the strawhats. As for Jinbei, they already established that he's pretty powerful (definitely more than Franky). I don't know how'd he'd rank up against the monster trio where they are now, but it feels unbalanced to have such another good fighter in the ranks. A recorder (to transcribe their adventures) might make a nice fit to the crew. Someone clever and not a fighter would add an interesting twist.

Uchip

Banned

theres no way he wouldnt be top3
if theyre near water he would be #1 even

Uchip

Banned
I'd disagree with these two fillers though:

196-206
213-216

G-8's pretty damn good and the Foxy stuff might be confusing if you skip the middle filler part of it so might as well power through it.

the straw hat theater fillers are definitely the best fillers

I'd disagree with these two fillers though:

196-206
213-216

G-8's pretty damn good and the Foxy stuff might be confusing if you skip the middle filler part of it so might as well power through it.

Yes, Foxy is kind of unavoidable. Of course that's pretty much the only arc in the series I would consider "canon filler" as it had absolutely no effect on the overarching plot, at least not yet (unless you count the one time Luffy recalls it when meeting Hancock).

I do like G8, but I still don't think I'd recommend it to people just starting out.

Episode 30 done. Don Kreig story over. Sanji just joined the crew. I'm hoping the show is at a point now where it'll start to take off. This feels like it should be the end of the beginning of the show. From here on out, I'm hoping for more structure and plot. The show is still decent, but it has lost it's intrigue as a new show for me, and it's time to dig in and really hook me.

Episode 30 done. Don Kreig story over. Sanji just joined the crew. I'm hoping the show is at a point now where it'll start to take off. This feels like it should be the end of the beginning of the show. From here on out, I'm hoping for more structure and plot. The show is still decent, but it has lost it's intrigue as a new show for me, and it's time to dig in and really hook me.

Well you are approaching the arc when everyone says the show really takes off, so....

Well you are approaching the arc when everyone says the show really takes off, so....
I'm really liking Arlong Park, but I just hit a moment that ruined a great backstory for me...Bellemere admitting she has a family and getting herself killed. I can't believe the writers were willing to sacrifice a character's intelligence for something so stupid. It wasn't emotionally touching at all, though I think that was the intent.

Irriting when Luffy sometimes loses all common sense as well. He walks up to Nami after she carries Nojiko (just shot) into town and she yells at him, tosses him to the side and runs off. Next scene of him, he walks bak to a tree, sits, and ponders whats wrong with her. Never mind he was just a foot away from a woman shot in the back, bleeding out in front of him, whom Nami just brouht into town.

Should I be spoiler marking things this old?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Emotional payoff of the end of Arlong Park is all worth it, one of the biggest most memorable moments in the shows history. But you seem to be nitpicking weird stuff already, so maybe that won't be the case for you? Bellmere would rather die, confessing that she actually has a family than lie and deny the existence of her two adopted daughters that already have massive abandonment issues and could be listening in from anywhere. They became her responsibility, and the Fishman Pirates are real goddam monsters patrolling the island could find them at any point. If they didn't 'belong' to anyone, what would happen to them?

Oh and its writer, singular. One dude writes all of this, as is the case with manga. Anime editors of course get to show how its depicted and adapted, but the story is (other than filler) all Oda.

Firestorm

I'm really liking Arlong Park, but I just hit a moment that ruined a great backstory for me...Bellemere admitting she has a family and getting herself killed. I can't believe the writers were willing to sacrifice a character's intelligence for something so stupid. It wasn't emotionally touching at all, though I think that was the intent.

Irriting when Luffy sometimes loses all common sense as well. He walks up to Nami after she carries Nojiko (just shot) into town and she yells at him, tosses him to the side and runs off. Next scene of him, he walks bak to a tree, sits, and ponders whats wrong with her. Never mind he was just a foot away from a woman shot in the back, bleeding out in front of him, whom Nami just brouht into town.

Should I be spoiler marking things this old?
No need to mark spoilers. Also, no need to think about Luffy ever having any sort of common sense.

deduce

I'm not liking the new Fishmen crew. Jones seems like a lame lead villain. Arlong's crew was more interesting and, to me, a better villain group. Also, steroids? Really?

I'm liking what I've seen of the art and animation for this arc, it seems a step up from some rather poor previous efforts, looking forward to seeing it :)

Ep 530
tumblr_lxh011wDHd1r0z162o1_500.png

I was laughing so much during that scene. So much. Fun episode, I loved Pappagu's reactions.

Top Bottom