• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnePlus 3 official: Snapdragon 820, 6GB of RAM, $399 with no invite necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hung Wei Lo

well, that was unexpected. I was expecting delivery of my 3T next week when I got a text saying it'll be arriving today between 11am and 9pm. Doorbell rings 1/2 an hour ago, and I'm now part of the OnePlus fam!

The sync just finished. So far, everything is buttery smooth. I still have to get used to not having folders in the app drawer again, but I guess that can be solved with a 3rd party launcher or something else? I've never been too into modding my phones mostly because I'm a chicken..

also: ooops. Forgot it needs a nano SIM LOL!

edit: nooooooooooooooooooooooo....dead pixel!?!?!?! I just noticed it now after switching to the dark theme. "If your device has more than 3 dead pixels or if the dead pixel is greater than 0.15mm in size, we can offer a replacement." just my luck.

edit 2: maybe it's a stuck pixel? it's showing up green.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
^ That really sucks. :/

The battery life is quite easily the worst feature of the phone. A day is the absolute best I've gotten with regular use.
I don't know if it's the CPU that's eating too much juice or maybe the graphics card, but I just really wish I could underclock it a bit to see if it would reduce in longer battery life.

Ugh, I only have micro SIM or whatever, too big for this. I'll wait until I get to my next country to get one.

Any way to make that little empty sim icon on the top go away? I've got two, and it annoys me.

hateradio

Ugh, I only have micro SIM or whatever, too big for this. I'll wait until I get to my next country to get one.

Any way to make that little empty sim icon on the top go away? I've got two, and it annoys me.
You can cut the SIM card to fit, just be careful. :p

If you use Air Plane mode, I think it will hide the SIM card status.

You can cut the SIM card to fit, just be careful. :p

If you use Air Plane mode, I think it will hide the SIM card status.

I'll be in Thailand in a few days, so I'll just get a nano when I arrive. Do I have to have two sim cards in order for that icon to go away? 🙄

abracadaver

Got my 3T today and I'm already loving it. (Coming from an iPhone 6S) I had a Nexus 5 before that so I'm already familiar with Android.

One question though: I disabled the search bar but I can't use the empty space it left? Do I need to install a Launcher now or is there another way to use the whole Screen?

There's download links for the OTA over on XDA

Anyone who gets the update, can you go into settings and post your build number in the About screen?

ty_hot

Gonna order a 3T for me. do you guys use a screen protector on it? any case?

Its the first time I will spend more than 150 in a phone and I really dont want to use an ugly looking TPU case on it. Some of the Oneplus covers look nice, but I am not sure if they will really help protect the phone. There isnt also much point in having a aluminium body and in the end put a cover on top of it lol.

And most of the covers that I see on amazon have people complaining about them not being compatible with scree protectors... I'd rather protect the front screen than the back of the phone...

Gonna order a 3T for me. do you guys use a screen protector on it? any case?

Its the first time I will spend more than 150 in a phone and I really dont want to use an ugly looking TPU case on it. Some of the Oneplus covers look nice, but I am not sure if they will really help protect the phone. There isnt also much point in having a aluminium body and in the end put a cover on top of it lol.

And most of the covers that I see on amazon have people complaining about them not being compatible with scree protectors... I'd rather protect the front screen than the back of the phone...

If it's anything like the OP3, the only good screen protector is the official one. The rest only have adhesive on the sides and you get this horrible rainbow effect under the screen. However, the official on actually covers the left and right sides of the screen with about 1/2mm of black bar. Probably where the adhesive is. I had one originally, but the blocked parts of the screen really annoyed me when typing, so i took it off. It's been fine without it. But I definitely use a case. I use the official sandstone case. Love it.

ty_hot

If it's anything like the OP3, the only good screen protector is the official one. The rest only have adhesive on the sides and you get this horrible rainbow effect under the screen. However, the official on actually covers the left and right sides of the screen with about 1/2mm of black bar. Probably where the adhesive is. I had one originally, but the blocked parts of the screen really annoyed me when typing, so i took it off. It's been fine without it. But I definitely use a case. I use the official sandstone case. Love it.

I am still debating what to get, I am currently thinking about getting the screen protector that doesnt protect the edges, so that I can use a case at the same time. I never paid more than 150 in a phone, I dont want my first great phone to have scratches in the screen... but its hard to accept that they really fucked up with all these case/screen protection compatibility issues. Anyway, the hardware is so much better than the other phones and I cant not buy the OP3T. Gonna order later tonight, they are shiping in 12 days here in Spain.

Aku-Audi

I believe it won't be updated to Android 7. If you dont mind that you can still have fun with it.

Not even through custom roms? I don't really use my phone for gaming or anything, but my current phone is so old that browsers lag and crash.

Jeffrey

Not even through custom roms? I don't really use my phone for gaming or anything, but my current phone is so old that browsers lag and crash.

come to androidgaf.

Also try to avoid all SD810 devices if you can. There are tons of better devices out there depending on your budget.

spwolf

I am still debating what to get, I am currently thinking about getting the screen protector that doesnt protect the edges, so that I can use a case at the same time. I never paid more than 150 in a phone, I dont want my first great phone to have scratches in the screen... but its hard to accept that they really fucked up with all these case/screen protection compatibility issues. Anyway, the hardware is so much better than the other phones and I cant not buy the OP3T. Gonna order later tonight, they are shiping in 12 days here in Spain.

i just got super cheap plastic protector and it works fine... it is cheap enough that you can change it every 3-4 months.

I have black wood and bamboo cases, and black wood is much nicer... very high quality too. All of their accessories are high quality.

OP3 is excellent phone, great community support, highly recommended.

beat

Got my 3T today. I upgraded from a OPO. I've spent the evening re-signing in to all my apps and games, and using cloud backups where possible to manage the migration.

I gather that wifi-activated profiles were a Cyanogenmod thing? I think I found some other app (Llama) to do something similar.

I like that double tap to wake is still here in OxygenOS. I don't like that double-tap on the status bar up top to sleep isn't there. Is there an app to do that?

My 3T arrived yesterday. I need another for my girlfriend, but that will be next month. Any tips on good software to back up her current Note 5, that will allow me to copy to her OnePlus 3T later on? Because we'll be turning in our phones to Sprint before then (she'll use her old iPhone until then).

I see several in search results, but they all want money. I'll pay if I have to, but I'd hate to buy one and find out it doesn't work.

How is the battery life on the OP3T? What sort of screen-on time are people getting when using primarily mobile data?

Latest security update for my Note 5 has nerfed the battery life, not the first time its happened either. I need something that is going to get me more than 2hrs of screen usage before it decides to die :/

ElNino

How is the battery life on the OP3T? What sort of screen-on time are people getting when using primarily mobile data?

Latest security update for my Note 5 has nerfed the battery life, not the first time its happened either. I need something that is going to get me more than 2hrs of screen usage before it decides to die :/
I have the OP3 (not the T revision) and after the update to 7.0 I'm getting almost two days of light/moderate usage, and 5-6 hours SOT.

That would consist of and hour or two of Netflix during my commute, text messaging throughout the day, listening to podcasts/music over Bluetooth for a few hours (between car and headphones), possibly an hour of Waze navigation if I decide to drive instead of take the train, and the rest would be email/twitter/reddit/GAF/sports/etc usage.

Undefined

Ive been using the One Plus 3 (not T) for a couple months and i think its a really good phone. Very fast, and charging is very fast.

I charge it once a day which is good because I play pokemongo a lot.
I recommend this phone.

cLOUDo

finally get mine

rapid questions
if i dont wanna use the dash charge
- can i use the usb -c dash cable with a regular adapter (still have my moto x adapter)
- can i use the usb -c dash cable or a 3rd party usb c cable with a external battery (xiaomi power bank)
- can i use a 3rd party usb -c cable with dash charge adapter?

hateradio

finally get mine

rapid questions
- can i use the usb -c dash cable with a regular adapter (still have my moto x adapter)
- can i use the usb -c dash cable or a 3rd party usb c cable with a external battery (xiaomi power bank)
Yes you can use it with most other things; however, it may cause a MacBook's WiFi to go off because it doesn't have the right coating. (May not be 100% sure on that, only heard).

I couldn't use the cable with my car, actually. My dash said that it was overloading, but it works with other generic USB-C cables.

Only the combination of the DASH charger with the DASH cable will provide DASH charging though, since it's a proprietary non-standard charging mechanism that OnePlus developed.

beat

Crap crap crap crap crap.

I just accepted the Oneplus update to Oxygen 4 (Nougat) and it broke my preferred launcher.

TheZink

finally get mine

rapid questions
I'd like to know this also. I just switched from a iPhone 6s plus.
Edit. Saw it answered above.

I'm having an issue where all of my group messages are coming as individual messages. This is obviously Impossible to manage. Anyone have this issue? It's a phone issue right, not a provider issue?

this_guy

I'm having an issue where all of my group messages are coming as individual messages. This is obviously Impossible to manage. Anyone have this issue? It's a phone issue right, not a provider issue?

Go into your settings for your text message app and there should be an option for group messages. If you don't see it try a third party app like Textra to handle text messaging duties and make sure you have group messages enabled in the settings.

I don't have a OnePlus but this should work for all Android phones.

beat

What screen protector do you guys recommend for the 3T?

Does the 3T come with the factory installed screen protector like the 3 did? I left that on my 3 and it seems to be holding up well enough.

There's a factory installed screen protector??

I bought a cheap tempered glass thing off ebay, the flat kind, and I'm super bugged about how it's not edge to edge. I'm getting a curved full-screen one from Amazon which will hopefully be better.

aaaaa0

Does the 3T come with the factory installed screen protector like the 3 did? I left that on my 3 and it seems to be holding up well enough.

The 3T comes with a plastic screen protector. I used it until it started peeling, and then bought a plastic protector from amazon and installed that.

Apparently the issue with the 2.5D glass on the 3/3T is that very few of the tempered glass protectors work right. Either they don't cover to the edge of the screen, or they don't fully adhere and leave bubbles along the edges.

neoxdonut

I've seen pictures online of people buying tempered glass protectors for the 3T and the middle has an annoying rainbow circle thing that wont go away. i dont want that.

CLMyRpn.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom