• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnePlus 3 official: Snapdragon 820, 6GB of RAM, $399 with no invite necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.
May be a weird question but is there a way to turn of the numbers for the battery percentage? I don't mind seeing the bar of the battery but I don't always want to see the numbers because I have this annoying and weird..... fixation to always look at the numeric percentage. Can I disable it somewhere?

Could you illustrate? I'm pretty happy with my OP3 at the moment but would like to know what's possible with Xposed modules.

Here's a list from xda:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/best-xposed-modules-android-t3103027

Gravitybox (UI Customization), youtube adaway and awesome pop-up videos are good modules that I use every day. Can't say how they work on the OP3 though.

I use amplify as well for battery saving, but that's more hardcore and can break apps.

Socreges

Banned
^^ thanks

May be a weird question but is there a way to turn of the numbers for the battery percentage? I don't mind seeing the bar of the battery but I don't always want to see the numbers because I have this annoying and weird..... fixation to always look at the numeric percentage. Can I disable it somewhere?
Settings > Battery > click on icon top right

Theres also a way to show embedded battery percentage, but it isn't in the default options for some reason

^^ thanks

Settings > Battery > click on icon top right

Theres also a way to show embedded battery percentage, but it isn't in the default options for some reason

Ah yes I did that before and I can select for the bar icon to be a circle or hidden. But the problem is, each time I pull down from the top of the screen and you get all those settings, I always see the battery percentage as well. I guess I can't turn that off.

Socreges

Banned
Ah yes I did that before and I can select for the bar icon to be a circle or hidden. But the problem is, each time I pull down from the top of the screen and you get all those settings, I always see the battery percentage as well. I guess I can't turn that off.
Better throw your phone in the garbage!

Hedrush

Modules are easy to install, it's all UI, but installing the xposed framework requires a custom recovery.

But it's totally worth it, some pretty good modules.

Xda-developers has all the info you'll need.

Thanks man, I'll do some reading up.

If anyone has any questions about day to day use, I'd be happy to chime in. But for $400 I'm more than happy with it.

I know everyone's daily phone usage is different but how long does a full charge usually last you before you need to give it some more juice?

I'm not to worried about the camera as long as it takes a half decent photo that'll do me. Hows the video recording and audio?

Did you order a cover with yours? I was going to order one but I held back as the ones on the oneplus website where pretty ugly and I really dont want to hide the phones good looks but I'm worried the aluminum will scratch easily. I always have a cover on my iPhones because even if you look at those phones the wrong way the bloody things break.

The gold version is available tomorrow for anyone who wants an ugly color.

That'll be my wife. She cant see shite but she wants a bit.

Cudder

Damn, this phone is really tempting.

I'm in the market for a new phone (My Nexus 6 shits the bed every once in a while in terms of performance, plus the screen is shattered from dropping it.)

The low price is making me interested, but I also want to see what the new Nexus looks like later this year.

Damn, this phone is really tempting.

I'm in the market for a new phone (My Nexus 6 shits the bed every once in a while in terms of performance, plus the screen is shattered from dropping it.)

The low price is making me interested, but I also want to see what the new Nexus looks like later this year.

I'm in the same boat sans shattered screen. I've had the Nexus 6 for about 3-4 months and this phone has been a huge disappointment.

Moreche

I've owned this phone since the UK release and I can recommend it to anyone.
For £309 it puts every single flagship to shame.
I can't honestly see myself picking up another Samsung galaxy or iPhone when phones like this are coming out of China for this price.
It's no wonder Apple are struggling in China.

Rad-

Just ordered mine. I went to the phone store thinking about buying Samsung or LG but the sales person actually recommended OnePlus 3 and was very informative about it. Reading this topic it seems like I made a good decision.

Moreche

Just ordered mine. I went to the phone store thinking about buying Samsung or LG but the sales person actually recommended OnePlus 3 and was very informative about it. Reading this topic it seems like I made a good decision.
You have, it really is a wonderful phone. The design, speed and price have not been matched in my opinion.
This is my second android phone with my first being a HTC M7 with iPhones between them and I can't see myself moving back to iOS. I now understand why the world needs android.

kharma45

Just be aware as been mentioned many times before, if you have an issue with the phone, you'll likely have a horrific RMA process. It's easy to be cheap when you've no customer service.

Moreche

Just be aware as been mentioned many times before, if you have an issue with the phone, you'll likely have a horrific RMA process. It's easy to be cheap when you've no customer service.
I agree but there's been some positive stories also.
I think it probable depends on who they use for local repairs depending on where you live.
They're not Apple so they don't have the luxury of swapping your phone for a decent refurb in-store to with overnight shipping but then an iPhone 6S with AppleCare+ would cost me nearly £800.
You pick your poison.

OP3 owners..

How fast is this camera? My Nexus 6 is killing me with its slow camera.

Does it launch, focus and snap pics fast enough for you guys? Main concern is catching my 2 year old in action..

OP3 owners..

Does it launch, focus and snap pics fast enough for you guys? Main concern is catching my 2 year old in action..

Pretty fast. You can draw an O when its off or doubletap the home button to launch it quick.

I know everyone's daily phone usage is different but how long does a full charge usually last you before you need to give it some more juice?

I'm not to worried about the camera as long as it takes a half decent photo that'll do me. Hows the video recording and audio?

Did you order a cover with yours? I was going to order one but I held back as the ones on the oneplus website where pretty ugly and I really dont want to hide the phones good looks but I'm worried the aluminum will scratch easily. I always have a cover on my iPhones because even if you look at those phones the wrong way the bloody things break.

Sorry I forgot to follow up on this!

1. I bought a VOCC car charger, and my daily commute drive (20-30 minutes) is enough to charge my phone for the day. If I'm below 40% by the end of the day I'll charge it on the drive home. I don't charge my phone overnight anymore. I'd say about 9-10 hours of casual use and 5-6 hours of 100% heavy use.

2. Video recording and audio recording are decent, but audio output is a bit meh. Speakers are rough on this phone. But the video recording options and the dedicated flash light are pretty great for recording.

3. I put the leather folding case on it the second I got it. The aluminum gives it a great feel but yeah I did not want to scratch it. But there's some great clear shells that serve a similar purpose.

OP3 owners..

It's super fast. I prefer to use the doubletap of the home button to load it and it takes less than a second to do so. If you want to change settings on the shot it may take a couple of seconds, but if you trust the auto settings you could snap a shot off in a second or so.

Here's some photos I've taken over the past few weeks, tried to pick some close ups, wide shots, and various lighting to show you how auto settings work. I don't use HDR in order to get higher resolution photos. Bonus selfie shot to show y'all the quality on that as well.

pb5ZKQp.jpg

U3GSQks.jpg

Ze3W3S1.jpg

ArggoP8.jpg

pLhCsJQ.jpg

KjFmkv2.jpg

6Rb2wh5.jpg

bPQAKH7.jpg

wchICvg.jpg

jcYz1S3.jpg

iMBF0di.jpg

rs6H4Q4.jpg

Socreges

Banned
Got this one. Transparent so you still see the design. Also thin and easy to remove. And does what it needs to for protection. Highly recommended

Should be available through Amazon
I am retracting my recommendation. I've had the case for about 5-6 weeks now and it's turning brown around the edges. It seems to be a permanent discolouration that will continue to get worse.

You get what you pay for, I guess.

So I came to this phone after using the Note 7... I'm really blown away by the lag free experience. Really great phone and I can't get over the price.

so is this phone more gray in color or silver?

It's more matte than shiny, so I'd say it's like a dull silver / gunmetal grey IMO.

I've been thinking about buying this phone. How is the audio quality with headphones?

Low impedance headphones, it's decent. High impedance, haven't tried yet. Seems like the apps you use affect things - some of my music players just sounded awful yet VLC / DoggCatcher were great.

The HTC10 is probably better if you want absolute fidelity, but for the $400 it's just as good if not better than my previous phones. Decent audio levels too.

How's the OS on this? I'm thinking about making a switch from Verizon to ATT with either this phone or an iPhone.

It's running close to stock Android. I like it for the most part but I find Cyanogen to be more stable than Oxygen. I have occasional weird glitch here and there but that is par the course for Android.

Low impedance headphones, it's decent. High impedance, haven't tried yet. Seems like the apps you use affect things - some of my music players just sounded awful yet VLC / DoggCatcher were great.

The HTC10 is probably better if you want absolute fidelity, but for the $400 it's just as good if not better than my previous phones. Decent audio levels too.

I'm upgrading from galaxy s4 because it's draining battery like there's no tomorrow and I don't have money for s7. This seems pretty good for 400€ at least hardware and build quality wise.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
What are this phones competitors? I had a OPO die on me recently, but I don't know if I want to wait a few weeks to get this to my doorstep or just got with something else like the 6p.

Donos

This would be my phone. No doubt, if it had microsd slot. I hear music all the time with the phone so i have my whole library with me. 64GB won't cut that. I know "choose stuff" etc but i don't want to.

Maybe there is going to be a 400€ cyber Monday deal for the HTC 10.

So, I want to blacklist some annoying telemarketers, but there's no such thing as block or blacklist in the phone. What the hell? How can I block these spawns of human waste?

What are this phones competitors? I had a OPO die on me recently, but I don't know if I want to wait a few weeks to get this to my doorstep or just got with something else like the 6p.

Honor 8
Axon 7
Idol 4S

Those are the main ones. I personally wouldn't get the 6P at this point. If you want a phone to hold yourself over till next year, get the 5X for much cheaper.

Moreche

I really love this phone, it's hard to ignore the performance you get for the price.
As much as each new iPhone pushes me back to iOS to try it, this phone doesn't have me doing it.
There's no way I'm giving up this phone for an iPhone 5.

That's not one of those 'we'll provide a service for you if you upload your entire contacts database' apps a la TrueCaller, right?

Oh yeah. Want to know this as well.

EDIT: I installed it. It didn't want anything suspicious. I couldn't find google fraud alerts either. I think it's good.

Nothus

My order is getting delivered on Wednesday, I can't wait!

Quick question for anyone who ordered one of the extra back covers - does the standard grey cover actually detach for you to put the alternative cover on? Or do you clip it on over the standard grey cover?

hateradio

Honor 8
Axon 7
Idol 4S

Those are the main ones. I personally wouldn't get the 6P at this point. If you want a phone to hold yourself over till next year, get the 5X for much cheaper.
Just decided to order this, but the two week wait is going to suck.

Matush

My order is getting delivered on Wednesday, I can't wait!

Quick question for anyone who ordered one of the extra back covers - does the standard grey cover actually detach for you to put the alternative cover on? Or do you clip it on over the standard grey cover?
It's just a clip, you cant remove back cover.

Hedrush

I've had the OP3 for a while now and can say it's honestly a really really good phone. I was an iPhone guy for 8 years and this is the best phone I've used. The colours are very over saturated though so the first thing your going to want to do is enable sRGB mode and to do this you have to turn on developer options by going into settings scrolling to the bottom choose "about" then scroll down to the build number and tap it 7 times, this will enable developer options. Go back to settings and you'll have a new developer option at the bottom and enable sRGB. Of course if you like your colours over saturated then you won't need to do this lol. Apart from that little niggle the phone is solid.

Donos

How is the support for this phone or how was it for the former Models? Some Asia brands offer good hardware for the money but lack good support.

hateradio

What are some good custom ROMs that people are using on this phone? I'll stick with Oxygen if it's decent, but I just want to know what's out there.

How's FreedomOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom